A sad statistical reckoning (and two firsts)

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:33 am

OK, no one else will know what I am talking about but one of the strangest kids shows ever used to air on UHF Channel 32 out of Chicago. It was called Gigglesnort Hotel. I think they took it off the air as the puppets were too creepy for kids but my brother and I loved that show.

Anyone remember Ultraman or Spetreman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlCxtSXL ... re=related
Last edited by ArtGuy on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
John

ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:37 am

LushMojo wrote:Michigander.....serious as a heart attack.

And Del, I'll save that story for another day. It's got more twists and turns than a snake's wang.

Here's to politically incorrect cartoons. I miss the original voice of the mammie on Tom and Jerry. They've dubbed in a nice soothing black female voice. When she yells "Thoooooomaaaaas!" it's just not the same. When did the world become so afraid of itself and garner the feeling that everything is offensive? Sometimes, we just need to be offended.

....which brings us right back to Charles Nelson Reilly.

I am proud to say that my kids love the old Tom & Jerrys. (They are disappointed whenever the newer ones come on) I got in trouble once because I failed to contain my amusement as my 8 year old mentioned how the mammy character who is always screaming Thooooomassss! Reminded her of mommy yelling at our dog Bosco.
John

joekm
ButtButtBaldyBumbleheadf00f
ButtButtBaldyBumbleheadf00f

Post by joekm » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:25 am

ArtGuy wrote:OK, no one else will know what I am talking about but one of the strangest kids shows ever used to air on UHF Channel 32 out of Chicago. It was called Gigglesnort Hotel. I think they took it off the air as the puppets were too creepy for kids but my brother and I loved that show.

Anyone remember Ultraman or Spetreman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlCxtSXL ... re=related

I remember the Gigglesnort Hotel. Before that, it was called "B.J. and the Dragon". I also remember the lump of clay, "Blob" that he'd make a face for every show. Not to mention the "Speed Racer" cartoons.
It's always the quiet ones.....isn't it?

ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:42 am

That's it man! I actually think the orginal title was BJ and the Dirty Dragon.
John

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:43 am

I'm of a different generation, but I remember all the Chuck Jones toons along with the Hanna Barbera stuff like Speed Racer, Johnny Quest (which is why I love the Venture Bros. so much), Magilla Gorilla, Adam Ant, Secret Squirrel, Quick Draw McGraw, Hong Kong Phooey, the Flintstones, the Banana Splits (that one was trippy), Top Cat, Yogi Bear, the Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, and the Smurfs.

LushMojo, if Chuck Jones is not God, he's at least some kind of demigod. Does anyone else remember Toon Heads on Cartoon Network? That's where I got my education on old cartoons. I'd watch the normal ones during the day and then at 10:00 when Toon Heads came on, I'd watch all the deep cuts. I really miss that. I don't think there's a single classic Loony Tunes episode I haven't seen.

Of course then there are the more recent fruits of the Cartoon Network/Hanna Barbera partnership: Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Powerpuff Girls, and Dexter's Labratory. Man I miss cartoons.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:16 am

The Herculoids or Captain Caveman anyone?

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:20 am

Herculoids yes, captain caveman - whatever

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:24 am

My son bought me a "Speed Racer" T-shirt for Christmas.

UltraMan, and Johnny Socko and His Flying Robot.

We used to play-act the giant robot fights in the back yard...

Meanwhile... Johnny Bravo cracks me up!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:30 am

Skip wrote:Herculoids yes, captain caveman - whatever

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Sheesh, I had completely forgotten about that one. That also reminds me of Wacky Races, which spawned Dastardly & Mutly In Their Flying Machines.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:17 am

colton wrote:The Herculoids or Captain Caveman anyone?
No thanks, I had to have my herculoids removed before they went septic on me.

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:19 am

Dug wrote:
No thanks, I had to have my herculoids removed before they went septic on me.
I had that too. Man, if there's any one place that you NEVER want to be sawed and sewed at....

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am

"Captain Caveman" was a Flinstones spin-off... I think the animators were dropping acid about that time.

I loved Dastardly and Mutley! A whole motley unit devoted to catching a single carrier pidgeon.... and Mutley's only purpose was to snicker maniacly whenever something screwed up. Why can't we have cartoons like that anymore?

For some reason, I really loved The Hair Bear Bunch. I think it was the invisible motorcycle....

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:38 pm

Del wrote:"Captain Caveman" was a Flinstones spin-off... I think the animators were dropping acid about that time.
I think you're right. Another Hanna Barbera creation that had to be drug-induced was the Banana Splits.
Del wrote:I loved Dastardly and Mutley! A whole motley unit devoted to catching a single carrier pidgeon.... and Mutley's only purpose was to snicker maniacly whenever something screwed up. Why can't we have cartoons like that anymore?
It really was a great premise.

If you guys aren't into the Venture Bros., you really should be. It's aimed at people who grew up with these shows, particularly Johnny Quest, and it's chock full of pop culture references (one of the more overt ones is that David Bowie is the leaders of the villainous professional organization "The Guild of Calamitous Intent" and his goons are Klaus Nomi and Iggy Pop).

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:20 pm

....Blue Falcon, SuperFriends, Shazam, Thundar, Tarzan of the Jungle, Super Seven......

Man, we seriously need to move this thread to the Theology forum. It doesn't get much more sacred than this, gentlemen.

Show of hands - who asked for Kaboom! cereal cause it had rad prizes enough though it tasted like deuce? We can't talk about cartoons and not talk about cereal.

Pink Panther Flakes.....discuss.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:32 pm

LushMojo wrote:Pink Panther Flakes.....discuss.
Wow. I actualy did try those (didn't they make the milk pink?).

I also was impressed by your Freakies reference earlier.

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Quisp and Quake?

Count Chocula and Frankenberry?

Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries?

Sometimes the cereal cartoons were better than the cartoon shows!

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:42 pm

+JMJ+
LushMojo wrote:Show of hands - who asked for Kaboom! cereal cause it had rad prizes enough though it tasted like deuce? We can't talk about cartoons and not talk about cereal.
Box looked great with that wacked-out clown. Cereal looked great, but not enough marshmallows to compensate for the cardboard taste. Colors in the cereal were hyper-stimulating to developing minds.
LushMojo wrote:Pink Panther Flakes.....discuss.
Turned the milk pink. Taste just like Tony the Tiger's stuff. Image
I used to have the spy-kit premium until about ten years ago. Had a Freakies plastic figurine too. May still have it. I'll get an image to y'all if I find it.
Dug wrote:I also was impressed by your Freakies reference earlier.
Freakies cereal with the gross globule characters on the box. Can't remember the taste. Must've been okay.

What about Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs cereal? Or Casper?

And though this is just old enough to be retro, but not old enough to be kitch, remember E.T. cereal (PB & Chocolate). Quite possibly the single most revolting cereal ever created, light years away from the perfection of Reese's Puffs. And Mr. T cereal?
Last edited by wosbald on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:46 pm

wosbald wrote:light years away from the perfection of Reese's Puffs.
OOH! Reese's Puffs. I loved that cereal.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:50 pm

+JMJ+
colton wrote:
wosbald wrote:light years away from the perfection of Reese's Puffs.
OOH! Reese's Puffs. I loved that cereal.
I pity the fool who don't like Reese's Puffs!

Del, Quaker still makes a limited-run batch of Quisp each year. Keep an eye out for a blast from the past.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del

Post by Del » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:55 pm

I'm very pleased with the way we solved the Nipsey Russell conundrum posed at the beginning of this thread.

I could use a good chimichanga tonight, but I'm going to teen-ager pizza party instead.