A sad statistical reckoning (and two firsts)

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:58 pm

One of the all-time coolest cereal prizes was in (or rather on) Honeycomb. It was a flex-disc record fused to the box. You had to cut it out to play it. It was some spooky story and sound-effects. I also have VERY vague recollections of some Jackson 5 one, too, though perhaps I just dreamt that.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:53 pm

+JMJ+
Dug wrote:One of the all-time coolest cereal prizes was in (or rather on) Honeycomb. It was a flex-disc record fused to the box. You had to cut it out to play it. It was some spooky story and sound-effects. I also have VERY vague recollections of some Jackson 5 one, too, though perhaps I just dreamt that.
I remember those. I think that I did have a Jackson 5 one and an Archies one, too. May still have a couple in the old record collection. I'll have to go check.
Here's some tasty licks for y'all:
http://apps.radiono.com/Blog/?e=6063&d= ... x%20Record
"My heart went 'bang-shang-a-lang, bang-shang-a-lang, bang-shang-a-lang, bang-bang'..."

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Okay, Wos, that was way cool.

I you can find one of the Honeycomb flexi-discs online I'll be really impressed.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:33 pm

+JMJ+
Archie records came on both Honeycomb and Alpha-Bits boxes. It seems that some songs were available on one or the other, but "Jingle Jangle" was on both.
Here's the commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95mVugNG ... re=related

Here's the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i-n-JaZ ... re=related

Here's three Jackson 5 Alpha-Bits commercials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLf1CLcoiU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWY27wt5y4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IN7uNVgbE

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:17 pm

There was also a "record" on an issue of MAD magazine called "makin out"

"Makin' out, makin' out
most everyone today you see is makin' out
most everyone you will agree is makin' out

But all
I'm makin' out, from all this makin' out
is that everyone's makin' out

but me"

And then the deathtongue record from Bloom County featuring "You Stink, But I Love You"
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:58 am

I'm hungry. Let's talk about chimichangas.

My little town doesn't have a Mexican restaurant. I hate to have to drive all the way into Madison just for a chimi.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

joekm
ButtButtBaldyBumbleheadf00f

Post by joekm » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:40 am

ArtGuy wrote:That's it man! I actually think the orginal title was BJ and the Dirty Dragon.
That's right, it was B.J. and the Dirty Dragon....and the real creepy puppet, I think, was called simply "Wierd". Athough I remember he used to crack me up.
It's always the quiet ones.....isn't it?

joekm

Post by joekm » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:43 am

Del wrote:My son bought me a "Speed Racer" T-shirt for Christmas.

UltraMan, and Johnny Socko and His Flying Robot.

We used to play-act the giant robot fights in the back yard...

Meanwhile... Johnny Bravo cracks me up!
Let's not forget "Roger Ramjet" or "Beany and Cecil"
It's always the quiet ones.....isn't it?

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:52 am

Ah, the sad demise of locally produced TV...

In Tucson, we had "The Uncle Bob Show," an after-school confection of local, live action skits and audience participation segments w/ the host "Uncle Bob" Love, interspersed with classic cartoons (Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo, Commander McBragg, etc.).

One of the absolute high points of my youth was watching the show one day as my name/postcard was picked at random from his big, rotating drum. He then telephoned me (on the air!) and I got to play the Nebula Game (as the lucky participant, I got to choose from 6 nebula photographs, hoping to chose the one behind which was a spaceship model). I didn't get it right and so, instead of a tableful of toys and sweets donated by local sponsors, I got the free family dinner at the Triple C Chuckwagon dinner theater as a consolation prize.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:26 pm

You know, Wos.....whatever differences we shared over on the disturbing movie thread, we'll always have the bond that is the fact of both having had the Pink Panther Flakes spy-kit premium.

And with that I must start a new thread about Steve, Don't Eat it! eating some 1991 vintage Urkel-O's.
wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
LushMojo wrote:Show of hands - who asked for Kaboom! cereal cause it had rad prizes enough though it tasted like deuce? We can't talk about cartoons and not talk about cereal.
Box looked great with that wacked-out clown. Cereal looked great, but not enough marshmallows to compensate for the cardboard taste. Colors in the cereal were hyper-stimulating to developing minds.
LushMojo wrote:Pink Panther Flakes.....discuss.
Turned the milk pink. Taste just like Tony the Tiger's stuff. Image
I used to have the spy-kit premium until about ten years ago. Had a Freakies plastic figurine too. May still have it. I'll get an image to y'all if I find it.
Dug wrote:I also was impressed by your Freakies reference earlier.
Freakies cereal with the gross globule characters on the box. Can't remember the taste. Must've been okay.

What about Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs cereal? Or Casper?

And though this is just old enough to be retro, but not old enough to be kitch, remember E.T. cereal (PB & Chocolate). Quite possibly the single most revolting cereal ever created, light years away from the perfection of Reese's Puffs. And Mr. T cereal?

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm

The word "phlebotomy" has not appeared on CPS, until just now.

And yet Bea Arthur appears 12 times. Er, make that 13.

underscoretim
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by underscoretim » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:38 pm

No one has yet to say goodgoogamooga on CPS until now, I wish I had saved it for the right moment.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:53 pm

Charlotte Rae has been mentioned once before. But never Conrad Bain.

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Nor Wojciech Frykowski
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

STW
Usher
Usher

Post by STW » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:34 pm

What about all of Steve Zissou's accomplisments? The greatest explorer who ever lived and yet not a word of praise for his daring exploits.
Anne-Marie, do all the interns get Glocks? -Steve Zissou

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Post by serapion » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:23 pm

You guys have totally overlooked Wonderama, Astro-boy and the Soupy Sales show. This triumverate of joy kept me sane for most of my young life.

Astro-boy was my mentor. My daughter even found a holographic Astro-boy tee shirt in Japan and brought it back for me. Amazing, those Japanese. They managed to get Astro-boy's whole life story and a description of all his gadgets (laser eyes, atomic booster rockets in his feet, etc.) all on one tee shirt.
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:21 am

Dug wrote:Ah, the sad demise of locally produced TV...

In Tucson, we had "The Uncle Bob Show," an after-school confection of local, live action skits and audience participation segments w/ the host "Uncle Bob" Love, interspersed with classic cartoons (Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo, Commander McBragg, etc.).

One of the absolute high points of my youth was watching the show one day as my name/postcard was picked at random from his big, rotating drum. He then telephoned me (on the air!) and I got to play the Nebula Game (as the lucky participant, I got to choose from 6 nebula photographs, hoping to chose the one behind which was a spaceship model). I didn't get it right and so, instead of a tableful of toys and sweets donated by local sponsors, I got the free family dinner at the Triple C Chuckwagon dinner theater as a consolation prize.
Back in my day, sonny, we had Ramblin' Rod Anders.

An early hero of mine and a primary motivator in my entrance into show business, this was truly a great man and a friend to children everywhere. That pin-covered jacket was one of two that he constructed during his nearly forty year-long career. Children who appeared on his show would often bring him pins; I was proud to have given him one when I met him. Over the years, his jacket bedecked from collar to seam, he started to circuitously secret all the pins he was given in his pocket, as he did with the one I gave him. When he finally went to his reward in 2002 his family discovered in his private airplane hanger boxes upon boxes of the pins children had given him, over 25,000 in all.

Ramblin' Rod's weekday morning show specialized in Popeye cartoons: watching these during my formative years, coupled with the image of the grandfather who raised me, served to form in my young mind the precept that a man should always have a pipe in his mouth.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:07 am

A_Morley wrote: Ramblin' Rod's weekday morning show specialized in Popeye cartoons: watching these during my formative years, coupled with the image of the grandfather who raised me, served to form in my young mind the precept that a man should always have a pipe in his mouth.
I loved Popeye as a kid! I sang the garbage can song and everything.

As a young adult, I learned to play the Sailor's Hornpipe on fiddle, banjo, and mandolin... and I always thought about Popeye.

My favorite Popeye cartoon was when Olive became a nurse... Popeye and Bluto were each trying to get injured so Olive could care for him. Of course, they also had to make sure that the other didn't get injured.

Popeye finally won the contest, by shoving a can down Bluto's throat. "This times, you eats da spinach!"
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Re: A sad statistical reckoning (and two firsts)

Post by philofumo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:16 am

CPS is one of the hits amongst about 5,980 google search results for "Cadbury, the Beaver Who Lacked".

Recently added:

"empathy box"
The Empathy Box is a networked appliance that connects many anonymous people through shared warmth. "An empathy box," he said, stammering in his excitement, "is the most personal possession you have. It's an extension of your body; it's the way you touch other humans, it's the way you stop being alone."
Last edited by philofumo on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Re: A sad statistical reckoning (and two firsts)

Post by Skip » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:19 am

2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley