Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 am

Fainn wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:47 am
Apparently the abundant life is only for some. 5 years of answered prayer means $6 in cash the week before our baby is born.
There's a church in my town called Abundant Life. I have no idea what denomination they are or what they believe and a look at their website provides no clues that I can find. They've grown to be a mega church. Cops are needed to direct traffic around there on Sunday mornings. My friend Wayne had drifted away from the church before he died last year. His daughter goes to Abundant Life so Wayne's funeral service was held in one of their side-sanctuary's. The young preacherman would get himself so whipped up that he'd start yelling. Then he'd calm down and start building up again. It was crazy. Our rich friend Tim flew in from Chicago for the funeral . We all met each other 20-some years ago at St Paul's Episcopal church and, though none of us attend that church now, we've stayed close. Tim said "If I'd known I was going to be yelled at I would've stayed home."
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:42 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:04 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:56 pm
Are there cliff notes on the changes to whatever flashing thing I had to click on to get it to stop annoying me?
Click and it stops.
PDp ... it's everywhere.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:45 am

hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Are there cliff notes on the changes to whatever flashing thing I had to click on to get it to stop annoying me?
Click and it stops.
I'm wondering is anybody besides those who wrote this stuff actually read it.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:04 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:45 am
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Click and it stops.
PDp --- I read it. It's repeated so much it's like the training I had at work.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:37 am

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:04 am
Roadmaster wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Click and it stops.
I was once deposed for a lawsuit involving a former employer and the matter of confidential information came up.

The lawyer for my side asked if I'd signed a Confidentiality Agreement.
I said "I don't recall doing so."
He produced a copy of the doc with my signature.
"OK. I must have signed it then. There were three or four documents I signed when I started work there."
He asked if anyone had ever reviewed it with me.
"Not that I recall."
He asked if anyone had ever told me what information was considered confidential.
"Not that I recall."
He asked if anyone had ever explained what documents could or could not leave the premises.
"Not that I recall."
He asked if anyone had ever explained what information could or could not be shared with clients, contractors, or other third parties.
"Not that I recall."

I never heard that the confidentiality document was proven worthless, but the lawyer certainly shot holes in the reliability of that companies practices. He concluded that - in the absence of specific identification - either everything was confidential information (which is ridiculous) or that nothing was confidential.

The court and Pepik may disagree, but I've always seen TOS agreements like this. It's just a box that people are coerced to tic in order to use the service and most don't understand what they've committed to do or not do.
Last edited by FredS on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:38 am

Roadmaster wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Click and it stops.
Well, I didn't write it and I read it. Made me laugh. Under the revisions, if any of you catch a fatal error, you must atone with Paternosters and Aves and an Act of Contrition. The fact you fellows are allowed to use the vernacular is a sign of the lax modern times we live in.

NB. I so hope Tuttle gets a catchable fatal error. Knowing he's saying his Aves would make me inordinately happy. :D
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:50 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 am
Fainn wrote:
Apparently the abundant life is only for some. 5 years of answered prayer means $6 in cash the week before our baby is born.
There's a church in my town called Abundant Life. I have no idea what denomination they are or what they believe and a look at their website provides no clues that I can find. They've grown to be a mega church. Cops are needed to direct traffic around there on Sunday mornings. My friend Wayne had drifted away from the church before he died last year. His daughter goes to Abundant Life so Wayne's funeral service was held in one of their side-sanctuary's. The young preacherman would get himself so whipped up that he'd start yelling. Then he'd calm down and start building up again. It was crazy. Our rich friend Tim flew in from Chicago for the funeral . We all met each other 20-some years ago at St Paul's Episcopal church and, though none of us attend that church now, we've stayed close. Tim said "If I'd known I was going to be yelled at I would've stayed home."
I remember the church I grew up in, once had an "Abundant Life Campaign". A special emphasis of some sort, I don't exactly remember.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:37 am
gaining_age wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:04 am
Roadmaster wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Click and it stops.
I was once deposed for a lawsuit involving a former employer and the matter of confidential information came up.

The lawyer for my side asked if I'd signed a Confidentiality Agreement.
I said "I don't recall doing so."
He produced a copy of the doc with my signature.
"OK. I must have signed it then. There were three or four documents I signed when I started work there."
He asked if anyone had ever reviewed it with me.
"Not that I recall."
He asked if anyone had ever told me what information was considered confidential.
"Not that I recall."
He asked if anyone had ever explained what documents could or could not leave the premises.
"Not that I recall."
He asked if anyone had ever explained what information could or could not be shared with clients, contractors, or other third parties.
"Not that I recall."

I never heard that the confidentiality document was proven worthless, but the lawyer certainly shot holes in the reliability of that companies practices. He concluded that - in the absence of specific identification - either everything was confidential information (which is ridiculous) or that nothing was confidential.

The court and Pepik may disagree, but I've always seen TOS agreements like this. It's just a box that people are coerced to tic in order to use the service and most don't understand what they've committed to do or not do.
I read it. Basically, don't be a dink.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:50 am
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
I remember the church I grew up in, once had an "Abundant Life Campaign". A special emphasis of some sort, I don't exactly remember.
The reference is to John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." If we take Jesus to mean that we have abundant life in terms of riches and temporal happiness, then Jesus is plainly wrong. If we understand his statement in light of his overall teaching, he couldn't be more correct.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:06 am

coco wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 am
I read it too. The Don't Be a Dink (DBaD) clause troubles me but I signed anyway. Like I wrote before, I did so under coercion.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:12 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:06 am
coco wrote:
I read it too. The Don't Be a Dink (DBaD) clause troubles me but I signed anyway. Like I wrote before, I did so under coercion.
Dinkery is a grey area. Gray, if you prefer.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:15 am

coco wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 am
sweetandsour wrote:
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
The reference is to John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." If we take Jesus to mean that we have abundant life in terms of riches and temporal happiness, then Jesus is plainly wrong. If we understand his statement in light of his overall teaching, he couldn't be more correct.
So yer sayin' Fainn should turn to burglary?

This is the problem with the Osteenesque teaching that if you simply ask, He will bless you with riches of all sorts and if you're not blessed in those ways then you're not praying hard enough. Or maybe you're not buying the right prayer hanky or supporting the right ministry. God can certainly bestow or withhold "blessings" but I think money is pretty far down the list in the ways He shows grace. By the same token, returning a share of your money to Him is not the primary way He wants to see you working for the Kingdom.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:12 am
FredS wrote:
coco wrote:
If I'm ever brought up on charges of Dinkery, I'm hiring you to explain to the court that I was dinking in the grey area.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 am

coco wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 am
sweetandsour wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, indeed. Thanks, Coco. But what I was referring to exactly was the long-ago particular special emphasis we had at our church. I seem to remember that it was a SBC-wide campaign of some sort, rather than a local revival or event(s) being hosted only at our church, etc.

I have an RC Sproul sermon on cd that I enjoy, on the topic of abundant life (i.e., John 10:10), where he was asked by a missionary friend, to try to identify the Christians in a photo of some tribal members in Africa where the missionary had been stationed. Sproul said he had no trouble identifying the Christians in the photo, simply from their faces. Anyway ...
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:46 am

FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
I don't believe they claim a denomination but that's just how new Baptist churches roll nowadays. One of the Elders of my church was a member of Abundant life when they were still meeting in someone's basement. There son is still the pastor over the seniors there. I talked with some of their members who attended at our church this weekend. They expressed how they missed small town churches and the intimacy of it. You see, my church has roughly 250 people attend weekly. Abundant Life has an auditorium that holds 1400 people and they host three full services. 8O
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 am

coco wrote:

That's kinda what I thought.
And understand the need for this in the first place.
Hope I didn't come off as disrespectful.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:37 am
I don't recall
That is probably the best answer of all time.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:12 am
FredS wrote:
coco wrote:
If I'm ever brought up on charges of Dinkery, I'm hiring you to explain to the court that I was dinking in the grey area.
Potential bumper sticker-- "Dinking in the grey area"
The 6s of 1st John:

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:47 pm

My 1:00 tutoring gig didn't show and I have another at 3:00, so I'm just sitting here bouncing between glaring at noisy people and browsing CPS. Not that you care.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:37 pm

Skip wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:47 pm
My 1:00 tutoring gig didn't show and I have another at 3:00, so I'm just sitting here bouncing between glaring at noisy people and browsing CPS. Not that you care.
Correct. I do not.
Sola Deo Gloria