Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by coco » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 am
The world gets curioser and curioser every day. There's currently a Women Grow Leadership Summit going on in Denver to "cultivate, connect, educate, and empower women in all segments of the cannabis industry". Evidently, 95% of the 'leaders' (whatever the heck that term means) in the industry are male, and that just won't do. Never mind the fact that men have always gone before women to tame new frontiers and make them somewhat orderly before the women join up with them. Gee, you'd think the sexes are - in general - designed that way or something.
I suspect that most of the leaders of the cannabis industry, as well as those of the Leadership Summit, are both politically liberal. So, what I find interesting about this is that liberals are telling liberals that they are not liberal enough.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 am

coco wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am
FredS wrote:
The world gets curioser and curioser every day. There's currently a Women Grow Leadership Summit going on in Denver to "cultivate, connect, educate, and empower women in all segments of the cannabis industry". Evidently, 95% of the 'leaders' (whatever the heck that term means) in the industry are male, and that just won't do. Never mind the fact that men have always gone before women to tame new frontiers and make them somewhat orderly before the women join up with them. Gee, you'd think the sexes are - in general - designed that way or something.
I suspect that most of the leaders of the cannabis industry, as well as those of the Leadership Summit, are both politically liberal. So, what I find interesting about this is that liberals are telling liberals that they are not liberal enough.
Most of them that I meet or interview are either rabid capitalists or libertarians.

Not that you care.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:56 am

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 am
coco wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am
FredS wrote:
Most of them that I meet or interview are either rabid capitalists or libertarians.
My thoughts: Men are in it for the money. Women are in it for the care of others.

I watched one of the *blatantly sexist Women Grow video where women flat out said the stores with women involved in the 'leadership' were more nicely decorated and welcoming, and that there needed to be more women involved in the 'leadership' of testing and certification labs because women "tend to be more compassionate and this is a very compassionate industry".

*I don't care all that much about one side or the other being 'sexist'. What's often labeled as 'sexist' is simply matter-of-fact discussion about the differences that are often found in how men and women operate. How they generally view the world and their often distinct roles within in it, much as I described in the previous paragraph.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:22 pm

2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 am

I've got the flu. Again.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:06 pm

I've misplaced my cigar punches. All of them.

EDIT: It's 50 degrees and sunny. Mrs FredS is out of town. I'm grabbing a couple bottles of beer, driving to town to buy a cigar and punch, then heading to the mountains. Don't hate me.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:35 pm

I've never used a cigar punch.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:48 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:35 pm
Decent teeth?

I got an Avo punch as a gift years ago that resides on my key chain. I've only used it to tamp my pipe.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:26 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:48 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Decent teeth?

I got an Avo punch as a gift years ago that resides on my key chain. I've only used it to tamp my pipe.
Ha! I'll use a cutter if I have one. Pocket knife is second choice. Teeth if I have to. I saw FredS post about his punch, and read up on em a bit. Seems some folks punch holes in different areas of the cigar.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:06 pm

EDIT: It's 50 degrees and sunny. Mrs FredS is out of town. I'm grabbing a couple bottles of beer, driving to town to buy a cigar and punch, then heading to the mountains. Don't hate me.
Thom, shall we kinda hate him here as well?

I say yes.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Skip wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 pm
FredS wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Thom, shall we kinda hate him here as well?

I say yes.
Yes. See the weather thread. I went full-on hate there ... whoops. :lol:
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Tequila? Double Anejo Sin Raval plxthnx....
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:31 pm

Pepik wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 pm
Cheers. To the Deacon.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:44 pm

Skip wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Cheers. To the Deacon.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:54 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:44 pm
Skip wrote:
Pepik wrote:
Cheers. To the Deacon.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
IKR?
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:47 am

Last Summer I drove to Colorado Springs for the Chesterton Conference and brought along my big camera.
I only had the opportunity to make one exposure, this was on a hike in The Garden of The Gods.
When I returned home, the loaded film holder went missing.
I think I found it yesterday evening!
I can't hardly wait to develop the film

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:29 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:47 am
Last Summer I drove to Colorado Springs for the Chesterton Conference and brought along my big camera.
I only had the opportunity to make one exposure, this was on a hike in The Garden of The Gods.
When I returned home, the loaded film holder went missing.
I think I found it yesterday evening!
I can't hardly wait to develop the film
Now you went and made me care. Let us know how it turns out.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:43 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:48 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Decent teeth?

Ha! I'll use a cutter if I have one. Pocket knife is second choice. Teeth if I have to. I saw FredS post about his punch, and read up on em a bit. Seems some folks punch holes in different areas of the cigar.
Pocket knife has been my tool of choice for the last two months. The shop didn't have any cheap punches but they had a fancy Montecristo punch that has two retractable punches twist it one way and the big one comes out, twist it the other way and a smaller one slides up. Pretty slick, and it was 50% off. I reckon I'll care for an expensive cigar punch the way I do expensive sunglasses - that is, to mind where I put them so they aren't lost of damaged.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 pm

I'm coming down with the flu, so I'm home. I got a call from my old partner from the Sherriff's SAR posse, Jim. He's been boarding my horse since we sold our place in the country to pay for our kid's High School tuition (yeah, it's that expensive!)

I was on the posse for 18 years as a mounted Special Deputy. I trained all my horses up from young-uns (Honey and Biscuit were weanlings, Maggi was an unbroken 5 year old) and I've got to say they were all exceptional, sure footed mounts.
Maggie loved water and never balked while crossing a stream or river.
She'd ground tie, and of course could be mounted from either side like any well trained SAR horse should.
Much more than that, she was a kind horse.
Once, to celebrate Maggie's 6th birthday and to try out her training, we rode clear across the Sierra Nevada range and back.

When the SAR posse got disbanded, Maggie was ready for retirement anyhow. Working at higher elevations is hard on horses.
Being an old girl----old enough to vote----nobody wanted her so I kept her. There is a market for younger than 10 year old posse trained horses with cattle ranchers and pack outfits.

By now Maggie was 28 years old and last night or early this morning, she passed away. Jim found a ranch with a back hoe and they'd bury her for $150, which is cheaper than paying the tallow works $300 to take her, and besides, being buried in the mountains where she spent her SAR posse days is kind of appropriate.

It beats being a bar of soap anyway.

But she had to be delivered.
So I spent this morning helping my friend put my dead horse on a flatbed trailer and tying her down. Since I might be contagious I didn't ride with Jim up to the ranch, but since they have a back hoe up there they wouldn't need my help unloading her anyway.

Not that anyone would care.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:17 pm

I’m drinking a milkshake made from Guinness.

That’s right, Guinness.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible