Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:03 am

How bout a bottle and a tin of something aged and 2 1/2 books of Green Stamps?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:32 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:03 am
How bout a bottle and a tin of something aged and 2 1/2 books of Green Stamps?
Well, it's a stretch, but we might be able to get you no points on that speeding ticket.

Wait a minute, aren't you on the DA's task force? What the heck do you need me to do?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:12 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:09 pm
Don't look at me, I argued against it rather vociferously.
You need a better lawyer.
Let God arise! Let His enemies be scattered! And let all who hate Him flee before His Holy Face! - Ps 67

"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:49 am

I'm very pleased with my nine month old pup. His gun dog training is really turning out well. This morning I took him to our primary training grounds which is a local high school football practice field, where we do "yard work" together. There I set out four tennis balls with game bird scent injected into them. They were placed throughout the lawn over several acres. I wanted the puppy to blind retrieve them for me. This means the dog did not mark where the balls were placed, rather I use whistle, voice and hand signals to direct the dog to the orang tennis balls I can see, be he cannot until he gets much closer to them. He found all of them and brought them back to me. His longest retrieve was probably about 125 yards. I'm so proud of him. Now we're ready to take it to the tall grass fields and ponds with real birds. He'll be ready for the uplands and duck ponds this year.

Of course I've been building up to this point, starting simple marked retrieves, adding more than one ball to astablish hand direction control then simple blind retrieves. I also started each new command by using my older, already trained dog. This seems to help him figure out what the new game is and excites him to try it.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:55 am

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:49 am
I'm very pleased with my nine month old pup. His gun dog training is really turning out well. This morning I took him to our primary training grounds which is a local high school football practice field, where we do "yard work" together. There I set out four tennis balls with game bird scent injected into them. They were placed throughout the lawn over several acres. I wanted the puppy to blind retrieve them for me. This means the dog did not mark where the balls were placed, rather I use whistle, voice and hand signals to direct the dog to the orang tennis balls I can see, be he cannot until he gets much closer to them. He found all of them and brought them back to me. His longest retrieve was probably about 125 yards. I'm so proud of him. Now we're ready to take it to the tall grass fields and ponds with real birds. He'll be ready for the uplands and duck ponds this year.

Of course I've been building up to this point, starting simple marked retrieves, adding more than one ball to astablish hand direction control then simple blind retrieves. I also started each new command by using my older, already trained dog. This seems to help him figure out what the new game is and excites him to try it.
Love the progress reports.
Thanks, Thunk.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:22 pm

CPS sure has its share of lawyers.
Four come to mind off the top of my head.
I'm sure there are more.
Not saying that is a good thing or bad.
<Insert lawyer joke here>

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:56 pm

So, I still haven't told the worship director at church that this coming Sunday will be my last playing for him. That also happens to be the last day for one of our team members who does her own fair share of leading and is quite loved by the congregation. She's moving to Alaska and I didn't/don't want to steal any of the attention away from her last Sunday here. At this rate, I won't be telling him until after the second service on Sunday, which may or may not be a jerk move, but it is what it is. Meanwhile, my wife and a friend of ours checked out a church a few miles away that they liked enough on first sight to want to go back and stay. It just so happens that a young lady with whom I used to play at my current church is their director of worship. She and I chatted briefly and, if all goes according to plan, she'll throw me in the rotation starting in July. :D
As seen on WGN...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"
"Arrogance, Alcohol, and Admin Rights: what a combination!"
"Let's carpe the hell out of this diem."
"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Over the course of the last week, I've impulse bought ten fantasy novels that I enjoyed as a kid - six on Kindle and four paperback (Kindle not available).
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:22 pm
<Insert lawyer joke here>
I would but they're so foul and couldn't be cleaned up and still make any sense.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:16 pm
Over the course of the last week, I've impulse bought ten fantasy novels that I enjoyed as a kid - six on Kindle and four paperback (Kindle not available).
Sometimes, these are like old friends...
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"A libertarian is someone who graduated from thinking that there are problems with the state to realizing that the state is the problem.” ― Jakub Bożydar Wiśniewski

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Skip wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:56 pm
So, I still haven't told the worship director at church that this coming Sunday will be my last playing for him. That also happens to be the last day for one of our team members who does her own fair share of leading and is quite loved by the congregation. She's moving to Alaska and I didn't/don't want to steal any of the attention away from her last Sunday here. At this rate, I won't be telling him until after the second service on Sunday, which may or may not be a jerk move, but it is what it is. Meanwhile, my wife and a friend of ours checked out a church a few miles away that they liked enough on first sight to want to go back and stay. It just so happens that a young lady with whom I used to play at my current church is their director of worship. She and I chatted briefly and, if all goes according to plan, she'll throw me in the rotation starting in July. :D
You didn't ask for advice, so disregard mine if you don't like it. How about being willing to play one more week after breaking the news Sunday after the second service? Then you won't be jerk.

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:08 pm
Skip wrote:
You didn't ask for advice, so disregard mine if you don't like it. How about being willing to play one more week after breaking the news Sunday after the second service? Then you won't be jerk.
Nah, I don't mind advice. Thanks for your thoughts (no sarcasm). Short answer: because I'm already off the schedule for the following two weeks anyway thanks to a downtown photoshoot one Sunday and recovering from a wedding the next. And I'm done. I was ready to quit a couple weeks ago, and not in a nice manner. I wouldn't be playing this Sunday, but that team member who's leaving is somewhere between a little sister and a step-daughter; she'll kill me if I don't play.
As seen on WGN...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Skip wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:17 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Skip wrote:
Nah, I don't mind advice. Thanks for your thoughts (no sarcasm). Short answer: because I'm already off the schedule for the following two weeks anyway thanks to a downtown photoshoot one Sunday and recovering from a wedding the next. And I'm done. I was ready to quit a couple weeks ago, and not in a nice manner. I wouldn't be playing this Sunday, but that team member who's leaving is somewhere between a little sister and a step-daughter; she'll kill me if I don't play.
"What would Jerry do? - He'd play."
"Jerry would play! - He would play!"
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"A libertarian is someone who graduated from thinking that there are problems with the state to realizing that the state is the problem.” ― Jakub Bożydar Wiśniewski

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Pepik wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:27 pm
Skip wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Skip wrote:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Pepik wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:27 pm
Skip wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Skip wrote:
Sunday, I'm playing. No worries. Maybe I'll tell him Saturday at practice. He changed the practice time (again) without asking, so I may not have enough time, as I have to tutor immediately afterwards and his practices have increased in time lately.

And for reference: he's a retired cop and SWAT commander, and even though he's tried to modulate himself, that's exactly how he runs the team. He's dismissive of suggestions and a bit condescending when it comes to dealing with team members. Even when he's on vacation, he'll watch the simulcast video of the first service and text in "improvements" to both the musicians and tech team before the second service. The last time I played, he was supposed to just be the drummer, but he insisted on choosing the music for the set and within thirty seconds of beginning practice, he took over. The girl who's leaving has been a buffer between him and the rest of the team for years and with her departure, things will get nothing but worse. I've learned so much from him over the years and I actually like the guy, but I have more than enough stressors in my life right now to be worried about whether I'll be in the right frame of soul and mind to help lead the congregation into His Presence.

But none of you yahoos cares. As it should be... ;-)
As seen on WGN...

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm sorry,but that was entirely too long. Do you have a short version?

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:45 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm
From the secrets of consulting: The Second Law of Consulting: No matter how it looks at first, it's always a people problem.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:47 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:45 pm
hugodrax wrote:
From the secrets of consulting: The Second Law of Consulting: No matter how it looks at first, it's always a people problem.

G.
Ah. Thanks. Skip pissed people off.

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:47 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:45 pm
hugodrax wrote:

G.
Ah. Thanks. Skip pissed people off.
Duh.
As seen on WGN...

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm watching a Stevie Ray Vaughn bio on axstv.
O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23