All about pipe making
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Re: Natural exposed plateau and pipe shape

Post by joegoat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:48 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:31 pm
Finding, buying, cleaning, and smoking new pipes is a harmless enough activity if you have the spare cash. As we see TNLP leave the hobby, we see Goose picking it up. I prefer to buy pipes in person at the pipe shop, pipe shows, and second hand shops/auctions, but the internet has made it easier for guys in more remote areas to get in on the fun of the hunt.

Tally Ho! Goose.
I've been refurbing estate pipes for six years now. You don't have to have a ton of cash to score big sometimes. Finding a Peterson System for $5 and a pre-transition Sasieni for $10 in antique shops make the hunt worth it. All of the other Kaywoodies, Grabows, and other lesser name pipes are just icing on the cake once cleaned up to their former glory. I think there are more people watching ebay now then when I started buying estate pipes. This makes it tougher to get a bargain, but there are still good deals to be had if you're willing to wait and do a bit of work.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:52 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:48 pm
FredS wrote:
Finding, buying, cleaning, and smoking new pipes is a harmless enough activity if you have the spare cash. As we see TNLP leave the hobby, we see Goose picking it up. I prefer to buy pipes in person at the pipe shop, pipe shows, and second hand shops/auctions, but the internet has made it easier for guys in more remote areas to get in on the fun of the hunt.

Tally Ho! Goose.
I've been refurbing estate pipes for six years now. You don't have to have a ton of cash to score big sometimes. Finding a Peterson System for $5 and a pre-transition Sasieni for $10 in antique shops make the hunt worth it. All of the other Kaywoodies, Grabows, and other lesser name pipes are just icing on the cake once cleaned up to their former glory. I think there are more people watching ebay now then when I started buying estate pipes. This makes it tougher to get a bargain, but there are still good deals to be had if you're willing to wait and do a bit of work.
I used to buy pipes and tobacco collections on eBay for pennies on the dollar back in the day (late nineties/early 2000's ) before pipe smoking became popular again.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:58 am

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:52 pm
joegoat wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:48 pm
FredS wrote:

Tally Ho! Goose.
I used to buy pipes and tobacco collections on eBay for pennies on the dollar back in the day (late nineties/early 2000's ) before pipe smoking became popular again.
I hope the popularity is still on the up trend!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis