On The Bench

All about pipe making
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: On The Bench

Post by FredS » Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 am

JMG wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 7:05 am
FredS wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:43 pm
Been a couple months since I've shared since I shared any of my junk. None are finished, but a few are close.
FredS, is that top unshaped block cracked on the top of the bowl?
You talking about the pencil line?
Yes, it's a pencil line. I suppose when one looks closely, it's a ragged pencil line. The top of the block is just saw cut, not smooth, so the pencil tends to follow the little ridges left by the saw blade.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon May 15, 2017 10:22 am

FredS wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 am
JMG wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 7:05 am
FredS wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:43 pm
Been a couple months since I've shared since I shared any of my junk. None are finished, but a few are close.
FredS, is that top unshaped block cracked on the top of the bowl?
You talking about the pencil line?
Yes, it's a pencil line. I suppose when one looks closely, it's a ragged pencil line. The top of the block is just saw cut, not smooth, so the pencil tends to follow the little ridges left by the saw blade.
That was my first thought but then I was questioning since it doesn't go all the way across and kinda, KINDA looks like it's inside the bowl as well. Happy to see it's not a ruined block.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Six hours in and so far so good. This bamboo rhodesian has a stem to be cut and some trimming and finishing left, but I can see good things happening.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:56 pm

nice
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:26 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:56 pm
nice
That means a lot coming from a maker such as yourself! This block is pretty poopy. It's plagued with little black inclusions, but nothing leaving a pit. Ah well! I'm still amazing myself.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:41 pm

The fact that briar grows in ground composed of rocks and sand makes it a wonder that any pieces ever come out with no blemishes.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:46 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:41 pm
The fact that briar grows in ground composed of rocks and sand makes it a wonder that any pieces ever come out with no blemishes.
Very true! It has a hard life. Stuck underground, cut, dried, cut into blocks, boiled, dried some more, and then hacked at by strange men who may or may not turn it into something beautiful.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 pm

UPDATE: 06/29/17 - Photobucket stopped allowing 3rd Party Hosting and wiped the links to all my previous images. Sorry.

A standing Rhodesian taking shape:

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:00 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 pm
UPDATE: 06/29/17 - Photobucket stopped allowing 3rd Party Hosting and wiped the links to all my previous images. Sorry.

A standing Rhodesian taking shape:
Going to be another beauty, Fred.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:24 am

I'm digging it!
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:37 pm

^^^^ This thing is more difficult than I imagined. I'm usually pretty adept at transferring an image from my mind to paper and from paper to briar but this one is going slow. It's the first time I've done this shape and for some reason it's not coming to me. I think I'll let it set and stew while I move to something else.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:52 pm

You of all people will figure it out!

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Finally found the mojo in shaping this one. It's going to be a smart little thing. I have a new tool ordered that I'll adapt for rusticating and this will be the first one I try it on. Can't wait.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Just finished up a Belge today. It has a nice 115 degree cant to it. After several drawings I think 115 is about the most cant that is still practical. Pictures tomorrow hopefully.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:07 pm

joegoat wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:38 pm
Just finished up a Belge today. It has a nice 115 degree cant to it. After several drawings I think 115 is about the most cant that is still practical. Pictures tomorrow hopefully.
Practical in what way? You ever seen a horn? Those things are often made at about a 170 degree angle. I don't like them myself as that shape seems to have jumped the shark in the form over function department, but somebody is buying them.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:59 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:07 pm
joegoat wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:38 pm
Practical in what way? You ever seen a horn? Those things are often made at about a 170 degree angle. I don't like them myself as that shape seems to have jumped the shark in the form over function department, but somebody is buying them.
Practical in the way that it should still smoke with little to no more trouble than a standard 90 degree drilled bowl. A 180 degree cant has been tried in the past. The Sparkless, Zeppelin, and Briar Cigar are all examples. The only complaint I've heard about this design is that it's finicky to smoke. Pipe tobacco just doesn't seem to smoke well in a horizontal line. I bought a cob cigar just to try out the concept without dropping the coin on a briar model. Constant relights are needed and very careful tamping is required. I end up smoking it too hot just to keep it lit.
Burning out isn't my concern with aggressively canted pipes. Personally, I've never seen a burnt out Horn. That could be because they are more rare, folks who have them don't smoke them, or they just don't burn out. All of the pictures of burned out pipes I've seen have had burn holes anywhere on the bowl. With the heat freely escaping standard pipe styles one would think burnout wouldn't be an issue for them, yet it happens. Random flaws in the briar seem to be the cause for most of them. Briar is pretty fire resistant to begin with and a properly formed cake will render it even more so. If one is careful to smoke a Horn gently until a proper cake is formed I don't see why they wouldn't get a lifetime of enjoyment from that pipe if it smokes well to begin with. Having never smoked one, I can only venture a guess that they don't smoke all that well.
On the aesthetics side of the pipe, anything I drew along the Cutty/Belge lines with over 115 didn't look right to my eye. Horns are a different shape entirely and make lovely pieces. I think they're beautiful pipes, but I just don't see them being practical smoking tools. To each their own. For everyone who hates it there is someone who loves it.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:26 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:22 pm
Finally found the mojo in shaping this one. It's going to be a smart little thing. I have a new tool ordered that I'll adapt for rusticating and this will be the first one I try it on. Can't wait.
Nice to see the drawings along with the pipe-in-progress, Fred.
Looking forward to seeing the finished pipe.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:42 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:26 pm
FredS wrote:
Nice to see the drawings along with the pipe-in-progress, Fred.
Looking forward to seeing the finished pipe.
That thing is going to be a beaut.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:11 pm

FredS wrote:
That's a sharp pipe and cool shape.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne