All about pipe making
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Companion pipes video

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:26 am

johara34 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 am
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum here. A friend of mine keyed me in to your existence, and I'm so very happy to have found this place. What a wonderful idea to tie together these specific life elements...I look forward to many good conversations here.

So, I had to chuckle as I read this particular thread, as I happen to be the guy in the pipe making video. I'm glad that some of you enjoyed it and that some of you found elements of it hilarious, because those were my reactions to seeing it as well. By way of a short explanation, and in order to attempt to reclaim your first impression of me from the video, I should tell you that though I'm in the video, I didn't have much to do with it.

I started making pipes quietly a few years ago (Tyler, if you're reading this, thank you for those initial conversations...they were invaluable in both their content and encouragement), mostly for myself and friends as a way to learn and practice the craft. One of those pipes went to friend of a friend who happened to be tossing around the idea of opening a high end men's boutique in my city of residence. One thing led to another, and I agreed to produce small batches of pipes for them.

When their store opened, they asked if they could come to my shop to shoot a promotional video about the pipemaking process, as they believed (I think correctly) that their clients would find it interesting, and would impart perceived value on a handmade product.

All that is to say, the hipsterotica video that came out of that (and the, shall we say, slightly over dramatic write up) about myself and my pipes is absolutely perfect for the crowd they are selling to, but it's not really my style.

So, if you would kindly allow me to reintroduce myself here, then I would say that I'm a man of deep faith and conviction who has been blessed beyond measure with a great family, and the ability to pursue a passion for woodworking that grows each time I step into my shop. I'm just a dude...and I make pipes and furniture...and I love every second of it.

If all goes well, maybe you WILL hear about me again. But don't expect it too soon. For the most part, I'm still quietly making small batches of pipes and refining my process and skills. And these days, you're just as likely to find me doing artisanal diaper changes for my kids as you are to find me making dust in my shop. And you know what, that's just fine by me...

Best to all,
Jesse

You are a good guy, Jesse, and most welcome here!

Being able to take a good-natured poke and laugh at yourself comes in handy, always, and says a great deal about your character.

Hipsterotica should be the Miriam Webster word of the year!

Should you ever want pointless, artisanal fishing flies, I have some I tied during deep meditation that have been seasoned with time, brushed over with sacred sage, and only shown to fellow free-range, vegan anglers who angle with pointless hooks and whose auras proved them worthy.

They can be had for $2,655.99 per dozen. A bargain, really, when you consider their spiritual value.
I can be contacted through astral projection.

Namaste.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

johara34
Congregation
Congregation

Post by johara34 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:22 am
Huh. I haven't been to Lancaster in years. Decent, hardworking cheesemongers and purveyors of quilts and clear oak furniture, as I recall. I'm astounded by that video and the concept of that sort of shop there.

Welcome, Jesse. I'll put away the pitchfork and flaming torch for now. Hipster erotica is brilliant.
You'd be in for the surprise of your life if you visited Lancaster now. It's nothing like it was even ten years ago. It has become a burgeoning mecca for all things hipster and food related. The number of high quality restaurants in a city that small is mind boggling. In fact, Alton Brown named one in the city as his best meal of last year. Definitely not the Lancaster of old.

Thanks for the welcome.
If I were to preach a sermon about Balaam it would be entitled, "The Man Who Was Rebuked by His Own Ass."

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:11 pm

johara34 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:22 am
Huh. I haven't been to Lancaster in years. Decent, hardworking cheesemongers and purveyors of quilts and clear oak furniture, as I recall. I'm astounded by that video and the concept of that sort of shop there.

Welcome, Jesse. I'll put away the pitchfork and flaming torch for now. Hipster erotica is brilliant.
You'd be in for the surprise of your life if you visited Lancaster now. It's nothing like it was even ten years ago. It has become a burgeoning mecca for all things hipster and food related. The number of high quality restaurants in a city that small is mind boggling. In fact, Alton Brown named one in the city as his best meal of last year. Definitely not the Lancaster of old.

Thanks for the welcome.
We should have a CPS meetup at the Shady Maple... maybe we could shut 'em down.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Welcome.

Thanks for being a sport in regards to our jests.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

johara34
Congregation
Congregation

Post by johara34 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:05 am
Welcome Jesse. And thanks for understanding our pokes at the *hipsterotica video.

*hipsterotica - Did you coin that phrase? It's perfect.

Here's one my friend Doug made for some sort of deal at church. A mashup of modern dance and traditional woodworking.
https://vimeo.com/180475884
Thanks for the welcome! Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, you might as well stay in bed.

As far as I know, that phrase is original...sometimes the stars just align.
If I were to preach a sermon about Balaam it would be entitled, "The Man Who Was Rebuked by His Own Ass."

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:33 pm

johara34 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:15 pm
FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:05 am
Welcome Jesse. And thanks for understanding our pokes at the *hipsterotica video.

*hipsterotica - Did you coin that phrase? It's perfect.

Here's one my friend Doug made for some sort of deal at church. A mashup of modern dance and traditional woodworking.
https://vimeo.com/180475884
Thanks for the welcome! Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, you might as well stay in bed.

As far as I know, that phrase is original...sometimes the stars just align.
Okay, I just watched the video... that's... so weird. I need a cigarette.
Praying - coco

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Yeah, I always expected the second coming to be less obvious.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:50 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:33 pm
It was the shot of the guy hand cutting the dovetail at 4:10 wasn't it? That always sends me over the edge too.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:01 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:50 pm
John-Boy wrote:
It was the shot of the guy hand cutting the dovetail at 4:10 wasn't it? That always sends me over the edge too.
Reor!
Praying - coco

johara34
Congregation
Congregation

Post by johara34 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:06 am

FredS wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
To be fair, I always find it easier to hand cut dovetails when there's a dancer in the room. That's why handmade furniture is so expensive...it's not the labor...it's the choreography.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:45 pm

johara34 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:06 am
FredS wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
To be fair, I always find it easier to hand cut dovetails when there's a dancer in the room. That's why handmade furniture is so expensive...it's not the labor...it's the choreography.
:rotfl:

After all these years, I finally learn why my dancing stinks.
Not enough sawdust!

My brother lives in Harrisburg, Jesse.
We used to get out there all the time, but not for a while.

If we can make the trip I'll try to meet up for a beer, burger and a smoke.

Truly a pretty part of the country. The smally fishing on the Susquehanna and the Juniata is fantastic - that and the limestoners across the bridge! Do you by any chance fish? If so, there are a couple of threads you might enjoy.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

johara34
Congregation
Congregation

Post by johara34 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:45 pm
johara34 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:06 am
FredS wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
:rotfl:

After all these years, I finally learn why my dancing stinks.
Not enough sawdust!

My brother lives in Harrisburg, Jesse.
We used to get out there all the time, but not for a while.

If we can make the trip I'll try to meet up for a beer, burger and a smoke.

Truly a pretty part of the country. The smally fishing on the Susquehanna and the Juniata is fantastic - that and the limestoners across the bridge! Do you by any chance fish? If so, there are a couple of threads you might enjoy.
Yes, it is a pretty part of the country for sure, though it seems lately that all the pretty parts are being bulldozed to make room for suburbia. That being said, if you ever find yourself headed this way, a beer/burger/smoke meeting would be fantastic.

I used to fish a good bit...then I had kids. Are you a fly fisherman? A good friend of mine is a fairly accomplished bamboo rod maker.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:55 pm

johara34 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm
I used to fish a good bit...then I had kids. Are you a fly fisherman? A good friend of mine is a fairly accomplished bamboo rod maker.
Oh my, yes!
Guided southwestern Colorado and The San Juan in New Mexico for over 25 years (retired from guiding now).

I mostly fish bamboo.

What's your friend's name? I don't guess he got to work with Vince Marinero in Mechanicsburg before he died. Marinero was pretty hard to get to know, and known as something of a hard ass, but also a very well-known writer and innovative bamboo rod maker and fly tier from your area. He kind of made the Letort Spring Run famous, along with Charlie Fox.

johara34
Congregation
Congregation

Post by johara34 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Oh my, yes!
Guided southwestern Colorado and The San Juan in New Mexico for over 25 years (retired from guiding now).

I mostly fish bamboo.

What's your friend's name? I don't guess he got to work with Vince Marinero in Mechanicsburg before he died. Marinero was pretty hard to get to know, and known as something of a hard ass, but also a very well-known writer and innovative bamboo rod maker and fly tier from your area. He kind of made the Letort Spring Run famous, along with Charlie Fox.
[/quote]

His name is Russ Gooding and he runs a business called The Golden Witch. He used to make custom rods, but I believe now he is mostly in the business of supplying parts for others who are making rods. He grew tired of dealing with customers who treated him like they owned him, from what he has told me. He's a fantastic guy...one of my favorites.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Welcome! I look forward to seeing some of your work posted on the forum; if you feel inclined to do so. I love seeing other maker's pipes! It keeps me pressing on through all of my beginner oopsies and AH :poop:'s.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:02 pm

I still like the video. :)

Welcome.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:25 am

I second the motion on liking the video. I thought it was well done.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:34 am

I was a video production major in college and enjoy a well shot and produced video. I enjoyed yours.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:09 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:34 am
I was a video production major in college and enjoy a well shot and produced video. I enjoyed yours.
It was completely free of (in ascending order of what I hate most): stupid background music played on someone's cellphone during the actual filming, wind noise, umms, apologizing about the quality of the camera, a shaky camera including first person views with heavy breathing into the camera mic, completely raw and unedited footage, ninety degree out picture, video selfies, starting off with "this is just a quick video about," and mouth noise from someone way top close to the mic during a voice over.
I did amature video editing for my youth group growing up. I'm still pretty proud of some of my work. Youtube just perturbs me. It can be pretty good for info, but some of the goons on there have no business with a camera.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:14 am

A well framed shot is a thing of beauty. Using the Golden Ratio when setting up a well lit shot makes me happy.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder