Another pipe

All about pipe making
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Another pipe

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:49 pm

I made another. This was my first block of briar in which I did all the drilling. Haven't moved to my own stems yet.

I had trouble yet again with a gap between the shank and stem.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Another pipe

Post by Jocose » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:05 pm

Cool pipe, way nicer than anything I've ever made, except perhaps my walnut masterpiece that hugo wanted to trade a mildewed cowboy boot for.

Keep up the good work and I hope that pipe making gives you an enjoyable time.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:40 am

Nice work, Rev! I wish I had the tools and equipment to make pipes. I know it would be therapeutic for me to do so.

Also, if the briar blocks would require any seasoning/ drying, there would be no better place than my garage in summer. Though this kind of heat would probably crack the blocks for drying too quickly.

A lot of skill is required in this work
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

BrianMadsen
Usher
Usher

Post by BrianMadsen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:02 pm

You are making good progress! Just keep the stem on while shaping, and practice with files and the junction will get better :-)

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:05 pm

ReverendThom wrote:I made another. This was my first block of briar in which I did all the drilling. . .
The big hole and the little hole meet at the bottom of the bowl so that's a win. Keep going.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:08 pm

FredS wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:I made another. This was my first block of briar in which I did all the drilling. . .
The big hole and the little hole meet at the bottom of the bowl so that's a win. Keep going.
... I shouldn't tell you this, but you missed the part where the little hole originally went right through the other side of the bowl :lol:

I Dr. Grabowed that bad boy up, and will have to coat the bowl now. Have a good coating recipe?
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:57 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
FredS wrote:
... I shouldn't tell you this, but you missed the part where the little hole originally went right through the other side of the bowl :lol:

I Dr. Grabowed that bad boy up, and will have to coat the bowl now. Have a good coating recipe?
I saw that on PMF. Wasn't going to mention it here.

My bowl coating is buttermilk, sour cream, and charcoal. Right now I break open charcoal capsules from the drug store, but it's messy so I'll buy a jar of activated charcoal powder when I run out of capsules. Mix up a thick paste and swab it in with a pipe cleaner. It's important to know that bowl coating and pipe mud aren't the same thing. Pipe mud is for repairing a damaged chamber.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:06 pm

FredS wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
FredS wrote:

I saw that on PMF. Wasn't going to mention it here.

My bowl coating is buttermilk, sour cream, and charcoal. Right now I break open charcoal capsules from the drug store, but it's messy so I'll buy a jar of activated charcoal powder when I run out of capsules. Mix up a thick paste and swab it in with a pipe cleaner. It's important to know that bowl coating and pipe mud aren't the same thing. Pipe mud is for repairing a damaged chamber.
haha you're a good man, Fred. I don't mind letting everyone know I'm an idiot though :p

I was going to try that recipe, or maybe one that is simply charcoal and maple syrup. But looks like mud would do a better job at protecting the plug (and the glue) Thanks!

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:36 pm

ReverendThom wrote:

Should have added another stem to the other side and turned that into a hookah.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:37 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Should have added another stem to the other side and turned that into a hookah.
:lol:

RDPipes
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RDPipes » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:21 pm

Takes time to get the hang of getting the stem/shank junction right. It looks like your doing pretty good, just keep mak'en em and you'll get the hang of it in no time. When drilling the draft hole I always try and suck up the drill bit into the chuck as far as needed with only the length needed protruding to avoid this sort of thing. And I just recently bought some assorted sizes of Shaft Clamps to use as drill stops for drill bits I use for only drilling certain depths. These help to keep things consistent and prevent drill too deep or shallow.
By the way, the drill stops you find out there ain't worth the powder to blow to hades, that's why I bought Shaft Clamps and they were cheaper.
There two piece with allen screws and are much nicer made and work better IMO.
"Whoever saves one life saves the World entire"

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Another pipe

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:51 pm

RDPipes wrote:Takes time to get the hang of getting the stem/shank junction right. It looks like your doing pretty good, just keep mak'en em and you'll get the hang of it in no time. When drilling the draft hole I always try and suck up the drill bit into the chuck as far as needed with only the length needed protruding to avoid this sort of thing. And I just recently bought some assorted sizes of Shaft Clamps to use as drill stops for drill bits I use for only drilling certain depths. These help to keep things consistent and prevent drill too deep or shallow.
By the way, the drill stops you find out there ain't worth the powder to blow to hades, that's why I bought Shaft Clamps and they were cheaper.
There two piece with allen screws and are much nicer made and work better IMO.
Thanks!

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:06 am

Nice work! I'm petrified of over drilling! So far I've gotten lucky...
I gave a lot of thought to how I would avoid stem gap. I decided that in order to have precision, I'd have to spend the money for a lathe (not a fancy one, just a harbor freight wood lathe) and hand cut my stems from the start. This allows me to make a stem for a pipe and not a pipe for a stem. I know that the stem will be square and the briar will be square so the two should meet as close to perfect as possible. I also wanted to use Delrin tenons. The lathe was a good decision, in my opinion.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

RDPipes
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RDPipes » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:27 pm

When I prepare my block for drilling I ALWAYS measure and mark it accordingly so when I mount it in the chuck (I use a metal lathe) I know how deep to drill my chamber and draft. I also always drill my draft first after facing off the shank, then mortise and counter sink. Then I drill my chamber and when getting close to the end I check often to see if I've hit the draft hole yet and when I do I carefully drill my chamber to the bottom of the draft. Easy, Peasey, Japanesey! :wink:

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:39 pm

RDPipes wrote:When I prepare my block for drilling I ALWAYS measure and mark it accordingly so when I mount it in the chuck (I use a metal lathe) I know how deep to drill my chamber and draft. I also always drill my draft first after facing off the shank, then mortise and counter sink. Then I drill my chamber and when getting close to the end I check often to see if I've hit the draft hole yet and when I do I carefully drill my chamber to the bottom of the draft. Easy, Peasey, Japanesey! :wink:
So far I've covered each block with lots of lines and marked the drill bits with tape before drilling. I also spent the money for a set of start drills. They are worth ever penny! I believe they, along with careful line plotting, are a big part of why my first three pipes have been drilled perfectly. I drill the draft first, even before I face off the shank. I then flip the block, face the top and drill the bowl. My theory is; if I bugger up the drilling, the block can be set aside for a shape practice. and might still be smokable someday.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

RDPipes
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RDPipes » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:54 pm

Yes sir, starter bits are very important. Hopefully you turn the shank and do all drilling before flipping it to drill your chamber. When I first started I would forget sometimes to complete all tasks needed on the shank end before flipping it to drill my chamber and wind up with something amiss that would screw up my alignment of the shank/stem fitment. For some reason my brain would be 2 steps ahead of my hands and I had to really train myself to keep them both insync. :youcrazy:

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Jocose wrote:Cool pipe, way nicer than anything I've ever made, except perhaps my walnut masterpiece that hugo wanted to trade a mildewed cowboy boot for.

Keep up the good work and I hope that pipe making gives you an enjoyable time.
It was a single, made in the USA, mildewed Bass Weejun. I wouldn't have insulted you by offering a cowboy boot.

Nice pipe, Rev.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Some helpful stuff there.

I smoked it. Smokes well, but tasted funky. Just the coating i hope? I used the sour cream, butter milk recipe.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:49 am

ReverendThom wrote:Some helpful stuff there.

I smoked it. Smokes well, but tasted funky. Just the coating i hope? I used the sour cream, butter milk recipe.

An easy way to tell is to sand the coating out and smoke it again.

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 am

If you get a chance, try to come to the Chicago Pipe Show. On Wednesday - Thursday there is a seminar on pipe making. There is nothing like having all the required tools and several experts to show you how to use them. What I learned most was MORE SANDING! Here is a picture of the pipe I made last year.

If anyone is interested, PM me. I can get you in contact with the ones organizing the seminar.