Memory Eternal for our Br. Nikolai

Where two or more are gathered....
Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:I haven't smoked in two months due to my mouth surgery. Tomorrow I shall take up the Blatter & Blatter pipe I received from Brother Nikolai in a trade only a few months ago, and smoke it in his memory. Anyone care to join me, even from afar, in a smoke to honor our friend?
I will join you, lifting a pipe to our brother Monarchist, and lifting prayers to his family. What time will you be lighting up?
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Jake wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:I haven't smoked in two months due to my mouth surgery. Tomorrow I shall take up the Blatter & Blatter pipe I received from Brother Nikolai in a trade only a few months ago, and smoke it in his memory. Anyone care to join me, even from afar, in a smoke to honor our friend?
I will join you, lifting a pipe to our brother Monarchist, and lifting prayers to his family. What time will you be lighting up?
I have a B&B from Mon, too. It would be nice to honor him with some CPS'rs over a shared smoke.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 pm

JimVH wrote:
Jake wrote:
I have a B&B from Mon, too. It would be nice to honor him with some CPS'rs over a shared smoke.
I don't have one of his pipes; but I still have a bit of one of his tobaccos.
I'm old but I'm happy.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:09 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Jake wrote:
How about sometime between 9-10 EST? That gives the folks in the western time zones a chance to get home from work, and it's not too late for us in the East. So what do you think, 9 or 10? I'm even up for using G+ for those of you that still frequent there.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

ATexanLostinVirginia
i will pee on you
i will pee on you

Post by ATexanLostinVirginia » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:13 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Jake wrote:
How about sometime between 9-10 EST? That gives the folks in the western time zones a chance to get home from work, and it's not too late for us in the East. So what do you think, 9 or 10? I'm even up for using G+ for those of you that still frequent there.
I have a Ferndown from Nikolai, and would love to celebrate his life with y'all. I'm down for G+
+1836+

"On land, on sea, at home abroad
I smoke my pipe and worship God."
-Johann Sebastian Bach

http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1024

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 am

I was in St. Louis for a weekend wedding; just now seeing this.

I have a lovely Ashton bulldog that came from the estate of Monarchist's brother. I was smoking it all weekend.

I remember when Monarchist first joined CPS. He was already deep into his life of holy poverty. I got his address with the intention of sending him some tobacco.

About that time, I had an excuse to make a visit to Springfield MO. I met Colton at Just For Him (and by greatest happy fortune, Uncle Bob was also visiting!). Colton and I pitched in together and sent a hearty package to Nicholas.

Not too long after that, Monarchist disappeared suddenly from our conversation. There was a lot of concern for him. We figured out that ATexanLostInVirginia was living close by, so I shared Nicholas's address with ATLIV -- who found the courage to go knock on Brudder Nick's apartment door.

Nick was suffering from one of his bouts of weakness, but he was very glad for the company. There were pictures and laughs, and the two developed a warm friendship.

I was always tickled at how Monarchist tolerated my calling him "Brudder Nick" with such good humor.

He lived quite a life. We know him as the pipe-smoking Orthodox hermit, a sickly but cheerful man who embraced his sufferings as Christ did, for us. His life prior to his conversion was one of extremes and adventures.

We pray for the deification of your soul, Brudder Nick, and the completion of long work. May the Lord set His Face to shine upon you eternally.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:43 am

ATexanLostinVirginia wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Jake wrote:
I have a Ferndown from Nikolai, and would love to celebrate his life with y'all. I'm down for G+
I have nautical themed pipe rack I received from him. It holds my favorite pipes. One day I got home from work a discovered a package on my front door. I once mentioned that I really liked that pipe rack after he showed a picture of it to us here. Months later he just up and sent it to me.

But yes, I'll try as best I can to smoke a bowl at that time with you all.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:53 am

Del wrote:. . .He lived quite a life. We know him as the pipe-smoking Orthodox hermit, a sickly but cheerful man who embraced his sufferings as Christ did, for us. His life prior to his conversion was one of extremes and adventures. . .
He was. . .the most interesting man in the world.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:57 am

ATexanLostinVirginia wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Jake wrote:
Let me know. Maybe I'll wake up for it.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:36 am

oh dear, I just saw this. Mon was one of the first encounters I had with the generosity of CPS. He sent me a TON of tobacco. I felt like a hobbit in Isengard. Just astounded at his generosity. So sad to hear of his passing.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 am

This make two in as many days for me. I'm sorry, but happy for him.
Heaven will never be the same again.

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:26 am

Oh my goodness! This is terrible news. But at least his pain is at an end. People like Bro. Nickolai were a shining beacon of hope and unshakeable faith for those of us who struggle. He's no doubt with Jesus now.
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:52 am

Both of these, for sure.
Skip wrote:This hurts.
LushMojo wrote:Lord, welcome our brother into the light of your face.

I wonder what amazing experience Mon is having now! Who among us can't smile a bit when thinking of a dear brother face to face with Christ.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Br. Nikolai was beacon of God's graciousness. He knew much more than the average bear the depth of God's love and mercy. As noted, he had his moments of high adventure, he ran the race faithfully despite the many stumbles he took (the track he was on had particularly nasty attributes, which didn't help). He ran stronger and stronger though. While he may not have fully appreciated it, that difficult track God set before him made him the sort of beacon he became. As his health began to take it's toll, I would visit him by calling him. But somehow, I always felt like I was the one who ended up the most encouraged and visited. He was very good at countering my stubborn misconceptions about God's love for sinners.

But no doubt about. He was a very interesting character. He knew and experienced a life few can comprehend. I myself didn't understand nearly enough until close to the very end. And oh, where those final conversations I had with him taxing to him. He was in great agony in those last weeks and it's a mercy that God finally brought him home. But as an unofficial hermit/former novice monk, he did finally come to terms about some things that weighed heavily upon him the last few years. For that I'm very glad.

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Jake wrote:
I didn't see this, I just lifted up a bowl to Br. Nikolai.

Here's to Br. Nikolai's memory, cheers!

:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:59 am

Nikolai's pup:
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:52 am

Praying.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:01 am

:cry:
Man who is born of woman is of few days, and full of
trouble. He comes forth like a flower, and fades away; he flees
like a shadow, and does not continue (Job 14:1).
:D
I am the resurrection and the life; He who believes in Me,
though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes
in Me, shall never die (John 11:25).
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:08 am

Back in '09 Monarchist wrote:My Brothers in Christ,

If I haven't made it clear before, let me just say now that I love CPS
and the people there.

I live the life of a shut in, I hardly ever get any visitors, and
that's why I spend so much time on CPS, and why it, and y'all, mean so
much to me. I'd be willing to do anything I'm able to help out.

These are very stressfull times and perhaps the additional angst is
responsible for the attitudes of late. I do hope CPS remains the great
place it's been.

Let me also take this opportunity to ask your forgiveness if I've
ever posted anything that may have offended.

In Christ,
Br. Nikolai
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:39 am

wow, I've been busy and unfortunately have just been a lurker on the forums as of late. Really sorry to hear this and equally as grateful for the resurrection.