Memory Eternal for our Br. Nikolai

Where two or more are gathered....
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Mon May 05, 2014 7:31 am

Prayers for his family. I hope they are able to find peace even in this hard time.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Mon May 05, 2014 8:32 am

He will be missed! I will smoke a bowl in his honor today.

-Andrew

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu May 08, 2014 6:10 am

+JMJ+
Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Thu May 08, 2014 7:49 am

I get sad every time I think of Monarchist. I know he isn't, but I still get sad.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu May 08, 2014 8:55 am

Kerdy wrote:I get sad every time I think of Monarchist. I know he isn't, but I still get sad.
Yep. I was sifting through a box in the garage this week and found an empty padded envelope left over from a tobacco sample Mon sent me some time ago. It all came back.

I was reminded of something else in that moment, too. I am amazed at the quality friendships I've made through CPS with a bunch of people I've never met face to face. Heck, I don't even know some of your real names and wouldn't recognize you on the street, yet you make a difference and honor me with prayer, support, and tolerance of my goofiness online.

Nikolai was a fine example of such. I am grateful he was put in my path.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri May 09, 2014 6:45 am

JimVH wrote:
Kerdy wrote:I get sad every time I think of Monarchist. I know he isn't, but I still get sad.
Yep. I was sifting through a box in the garage this week and found an empty padded envelope left over from a tobacco sample Mon sent me some time ago. It all came back.

I was reminded of something else in that moment, too. I am amazed at the quality friendships I've made through CPS with a bunch of people I've never met face to face. Heck, I don't even know some of your real names and wouldn't recognize you on the street, yet you make a difference and honor me with prayer, support, and tolerance of my goofiness online.

Nikolai was a fine example of such. I am grateful he was put in my path.
Amen.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Fri May 09, 2014 7:02 am

Memory Eternal

(sad for us and happy for him)

Paraphrased from the Litany of the Departed basically sums it up for me

Graciously, O Lord, repose his soul in the bosom of our holy fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, sustain him in a green pasture, by the water of rest in the paradise of joy. The place out of which grief, sorrow and groaning have fled away, in the light of Your saints. Raise up his body also, on the Day which You have appointed, according to Your true promises, which are without lie....

For there is no death for Your servants, but a departure. Even if any negligence or heedlessness has overtaken them as men, since they were clothed in flesh and dwelt in this world. O God, as the Good One and Lover of Mankind, graciously accord, O Lord—Your servants, the Orthodox Christians who are in the whole world, from sunrise to sunset and from north to south.

Each one according to his name and each one according to her name, O Lord repose and forgive them. For no one is pure and without blemish even though his life on earth be a single day.

As for those, O Lord, whose souls You have taken, repose them, and may they be worthy of the kingdom of the heavens. As for us all, grant us our Christian perfection that would be pleasing to You, and give them and us a share and an inheritance with all Your saints.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri May 09, 2014 7:54 am

I like that Thoth.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

revspipes
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by revspipes » Fri May 09, 2014 9:09 am

This well and truly sucks.

I am glad his suffering has been turned to dancing. But it sure puts a heaviness over the day

Rev

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 am

Nicholas and his older brother Wally

(picture lifted from facebook and saved here for posterity)
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cliff » Fri May 09, 2014 9:59 am

I second the prayer of Troth
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

FredS

Re: Memory Eternal for our Br. Nikolai

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:08 pm

Farmboys post for his Mom made me think of Mon. I still can't wrap my head around our new world where we have friends who we love and miss even though we never met in person on this side.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:10 pm

FredS wrote:Farmboys post for his Mom made me think of Mon. I still can't wrap my head around our new world where we have friends who we love and miss even though we never met in person on this side.
+1
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:09 pm

I was thinking about Mon today while doing some menial chores about the house. I was wondering if we could do something to bless his family this coming Christmas season. Perhaps one of you who were closest to him could give us some ideas, and make sure whatever we do is appropriate and gets to them.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:31 pm

mont974x4 wrote:I was thinking about Mon today while doing some menial chores about the house. I was wondering if we could do something to bless his family this coming Christmas season. Perhaps one of you who were closest to him could give us some ideas, and make sure whatever we do is appropriate and gets to them.
^^This.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 pm

OldWorldSwine wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:I was thinking about Mon today while doing some menial chores about the house. I was wondering if we could do something to bless his family this coming Christmas season. Perhaps one of you who were closest to him could give us some ideas, and make sure whatever we do is appropriate and gets to them.
^^This.
It's incredibly hard to say this, but sadly, Br. Nikolai had no one left. Literally. Virtually all of his family passed away and he had no children of his own. To add insult to injury, he was reclusive for years on account of his monastic hopes which were complicated by his health and his church's irregular status. Thankfully, Br. Nikolai was willing to re establish relations with his former priest in a nearby ROCOR church after I, in concert with a distant person from his other distant bishop that seemed less than helpful to him, pleaded with him to accept the help from the ROCOR priest nearby. The local ROCOR priest went out of his way to help him in his final days and the local church from whom Br. Nikolai was estranged for years. They raised the funds to give him a proper Christian burial too. The state was going to cremate him. I spoke to the priest and he let me know that no one else was there for him at all. I was the only one who asked about him on behalf of you all. I only began to realize how important CPS was to him upon our last couple of conversations over the phone and it was very hard to contact him and nearly impossible to communicate with him in his final weeks.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm sorry, my friend, I didn't intend to cause any distress.

Sent by pony express.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:47 pm

mont974x4 wrote:I'm sorry, my friend, I didn't intend to cause any distress.

No need for any of that. It's just a sad thing to think about. I missed his funeral as I lost contact largely because he or I could barely talk with each other anyway toward the end. I'm glad I was there for him at the beginning of the end. I remember PMing him asking him to call me at 11 PM at night. Five minutes later he called and we talked for hours. I guess he felt he needed an invitation to speak. He shared so much, he was also afraid. Of course, I felt like child and not much use. More than once I called to be an encouragement to him only to have him seem to help me more.

OldWorldSwine

Post by OldWorldSwine » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 pm

I probably haven't said often enough how much this place means to me.

Dang it. :cry:
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:09 am

Thank you for being gracious with me.

Sent by pony express.