Memory Eternal for our Br. Nikolai

Post by gravel » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:07 am

Thank you Thunk.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: Memory Eternal for our Br. Nikolai

Post by Del » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:58 am

For my part, I feel like we were deprived of the opportunity to show our love for Brudder Nick by an outpouring of charity at his passing.

I motion that Thunktank should contact the parish priest who served Nicholas at the end. We should ask him what sort of memorial would have pleased Nicholas, or we should offer to support the local Russian Orthodox parish, or a charity that they support.

Or perhaps a donation to the monk's own Church of irregular status. Or the suffering Christians in Russia or the Middle East.

Let's do a little research, pick a worthy charity, and make a memorial gift worthy of CPS and Brother Nicholas!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Del

Post by Del » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:28 am

The more I think about this, the more right it feels.

The Lord called Nicholas to the austere hermitic life. But Monarchist was unable to attach to a formal monastic community.

So our Lord put him into the hands of the CPS community.

We enjoyed him and appreciated him. But I don't think we realized the gift of grace that he is to us.

Does anyone doubt that we are not still in his prayers as he beholds the Glory of God?

Many have asked "Who is the patron saint of CPS?" Well... we have one. Those of us who believe the Creed and trust the Communion of the Saints, we should talk with him often.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Del wrote:The more I think about this, the more right it feels.

The Lord called Nicholas to the austere hermitic life. But Monarchist was unable to attach to a formal monastic community.

We enjoyed him and appreciated him. But I don't think we realized the gift of grace that he is to us.

Does anyone doubt that we are not still in his prayers as he beholds the Glory of God?

Many have asked "Who is the patron saint of CPS?" Well... we have one. Those of us who believe the Creed and trust the Communion of the Saints, we should talk with him often.
That may be the coolest thought I'll think today.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Del wrote:The more I think about this, the more right it feels.

+ a whole lot.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Del wrote:For my part, I feel like we were deprived of the opportunity to show our love for Brudder Nick by an outpouring of charity at his passing.

I motion that Thunktank should contact the parish priest who served Nicholas at the end. We should ask him what sort of memorial would have pleased Nicholas, or we should offer to support the local Russian Orthodox parish, or a charity that they support.

Or perhaps a donation to the monk's own Church of irregular status. Or the suffering Christians in Russia or the Middle East.

Let's do a little research, pick a worthy charity, and make a memorial gift worthy of CPS and Brother Nicholas!
I like this idea.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Del

Post by Del » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Bump for Thunk.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Baines
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Baines » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:49 am

May his memory be eternal. I had some stuff from Russia I picked up for him that I never sent, I feel very bad about this.
Lord, save me whether I will it or not...-St. John Chrysostom

That's not a pipe, that's a pipe!

http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1223

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:38 am

When I get chance I will post or at least have available for inquiries the information of the ROCOR priest and church that ministered to Br. Nicholas' final needs. I can track that down in a day or two. No problem.

I love the idea of considering Br. Nicholas the patron of CPS. He would blush if he heard this and direct us to God and Saint Nicholas instead. :D

Del's post had me brainstorming a bit too. This isn't my site, I don't have control over it. But I think it would be cool if we could set up a charity section in Br. Nicholas' name where we could post information and contacts for our favorite charities and causes. I know of a few that Br. Nicholas would approve. I know many here are deeply involved in various charity work themselves. We have a Theology section and a Purgatory section. Isn't charity greater than those? :wink:

Perhaps if others agree we can suggest it in the Features/Requests/Problems section. The administration can then determine if we can proceed.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Thunktank wrote:When I get chance I will post or at least have available for inquiries the information of the ROCOR priest and church that ministered to Br. Nicholas' final needs. I can track that down in a day or two. No problem.

I love the idea of considering Br. Nicholas the patron of CPS. He would blush if he heard this and direct us to God and Saint Nicholas instead. :D

Del's post had me brainstorming a bit too. This isn't my site, I don't have control over it. But I think it would be cool if we could set up a charity section in Br. Nicholas' name where we could post information and contacts for our favorite charities and causes. I know of a few that Br. Nicholas would approve. I know many here are deeply involved in various charity work themselves. We have a Theology section and a Purgatory section. Isn't charity greater than those? :wink:

Perhaps if others agree we can suggest it in the Features/Requests/Problems section. The administration can then determine if we can proceed.
:thumbsup: do it
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 am

Saw on FB that today would have been Br. Nikolai's birthday. Made me sad.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

OldWorldSwine

Post by OldWorldSwine » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:04 am

Irish-Dane wrote:Saw on FB that today would have been Br. Nikolai's birthday. Made me sad.
Yes, but... I say celebrate his memory. Any CPS brothers in the Minneapolis area want to raise a glass and/or smoke a bowl in his honor, let me know.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:45 pm

OldWorldSwine wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:Saw on FB that today would have been Br. Nikolai's birthday. Made me sad.
Yes, but... I say celebrate his memory. Any CPS brothers in the Minneapolis area want to raise a glass and/or smoke a bowl in his honor, let me know.
Not in MN but in Oregon, I'll do just that.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:17 am

gravel wrote:
OldWorldSwine wrote:
Not in MN but in Oregon, I'll do just that.
I'll host the event in Maryland... anyone out this way stop in.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:04 pm

I just noticed John-Boy's avatar and I wondered, so I searched out this thread. I don't know how I missed it, but this is sad. I guess I've just been so busy that I haven't been paying super close attention to the forum like I used to…

As others said back in april, I'm glad his suffering is over and he has gone on to glory. May it be so and we be so blessed as to one day join him. Amen.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:27 pm

Extraordinarily late to this news. Initially sad to read it, I'm rejoicing that he is beyond his many trials. Pray for us, Brother Nikolai!

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:45 am

I had several masses said for him in the weeks after his passing.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:01 am

Brother Nikolai commented once on my annual attempt to read The Brothers Karamazov to the end, as well as his own desire to read that hefty tome.
Last night I got over half way (367 pages out of the 760) and my thoughts immediately turned to Brother Nikolai.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:06 am

Hovannes wrote:Brother Nikolai commented once on my annual attempt to read The Brothers Karamazov to the end, as well as his own desire to read that hefty tome.
Last night I got over half way (367 pages out of the 760) and my thoughts immediately turned to Brother Nikolai.
Pipeson was reading The Brothers Karamazov a few weeks ago and gushing about it every day. He has me wanting to read it, but I don't spend enough time with books nowadays.

I would still like to see us gather a suitable memorial fund for Brother Nikolai. All we need is an address to send our donations to.