Where two or more are gathered....
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: Disability BenefitsPrayer Requests

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Peace be upon you!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:53 am

Del wrote:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Hidden Content
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:19 am

PTNC wrote:
Fainn wrote:Initial decision will be 3-6 months. Statistically, it will prob denied twice and then have to go to an administrative law judge. I guess that's when they get affidavits from friends and family.

Hidden Content
It doesn't have to take that long. Mine was denied first time out, then approved upon my making a request for reconsideration. There's no real predicting. However, I very strongly urge you to get an attorney who specializes in this field. It won't cost you anything out of pocket--his fee is taken from the first cheque (which is retroactive to some months before your initial application date). It's a percentage (I forget how much) or $6000, which ever is less. This is very important to the success of almost any application, and since you're applying on psychological grounds, a really critical element. From the SSA's point of view, anyone an claim depression or PTSD; not everyone can claim something visibly verifiable, like an amputation or blindness.

I had to go through the detailed recitation, and it hit all my triggers too. This is one point where they could be more sensitive, but it's also understandable that they aren't. I'm sorry you're having to endure everything all over again.
How long after your event did you seek help?

PTNC
Usher
Usher

Post by PTNC » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:03 am

Fainn wrote:
PTNC wrote:
Fainn wrote:Initial decision will be 3-6 months. Statistically, it will prob denied twice and then have to go to an administrative law judge. I guess that's when they get affidavits from friends and family.

Hidden Content
It doesn't have to take that long. Mine was denied first time out, then approved upon my making a request for reconsideration. There's no real predicting. However, I very strongly urge you to get an attorney who specializes in this field. It won't cost you anything out of pocket--his fee is taken from the first cheque (which is retroactive to some months before your initial application date). It's a percentage (I forget how much) or $6000, which ever is less. This is very important to the success of almost any application, and since you're applying on psychological grounds, a really critical element. From the SSA's point of view, anyone an claim depression or PTSD; not everyone can claim something visibly verifiable, like an amputation or blindness.

I had to go through the detailed recitation, and it hit all my triggers too. This is one point where they could be more sensitive, but it's also understandable that they aren't. I'm sorry you're having to endure everything all over again.
How long after your event did you seek help?
Hidden Content

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:09 pm

Hidden Content

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Now they suspect Adult ADD/ADHD forget which on top of everything else. 4 disabilities ought to get me something.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:54 pm

Fainn wrote:Now they suspect Adult ADD/ADHD forget which on top of everything else. 4 disabilities ought to get me something.
People who have really tried, like you, to be economically productive, but can not, due to illness, ought not to have to fight for assistance. Please do call or email around, seeking a SSD attorney. They specialize in that and are very very good.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:06 pm

First application has been denied. Seeing a lawyer in a few weeks

PTNC
Usher
Usher

Post by PTNC » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Fainn wrote:First application has been denied. Seeing a lawyer in a few weeks
'Be not dismayed'. I forget which oratorio that's from, but it's good advice. As you may have heard a few dozen times already, this is part of their procedure. It's utter bollocks, but it's how they do things. The Lawyer is an excellent step!!

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:32 pm

PTNC wrote:
Fainn wrote:First application has been denied. Seeing a lawyer in a few weeks
'Be not dismayed'. I forget which oratorio that's from, but it's good advice.
From Jesus, Be not be dismayed. You believe in G-d, believe also in me.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:01 am

I found an email proving I was only able to work a few days while being disabled. Praise the Lord! :chili:

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:52 pm

The paperwork for my reconsideration arrived today. Will still probably have to go before ALJ.

PTNC
Usher
Usher

Post by PTNC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:30 am

Fainn wrote:The paperwork for my reconsideration arrived today. Will still probably have to go before ALJ.
No, not certain at all. I didn't--I was approved at the reconsideration point. The next step would be an appeal--still no judge. You have several opportunities to be approved or not before you reach that level.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:47 am

PTNC wrote:
Fainn wrote:The paperwork for my reconsideration arrived today. Will still probably have to go before ALJ.
No, not certain at all. I didn't--I was approved at the reconsideration point. The next step would be an appeal--still no judge. You have several opportunities to be approved or not before you reach that level.
Thats interesting. I've never heard of anyone being approved at the reconsideration level because it has the lowest approval rate. Is it an appeal and then a judge?

PTNC
Usher
Usher

Post by PTNC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:40 am

Fainn wrote:
PTNC wrote:
Thats interesting. I've never heard of anyone being approved at the reconsideration level because it has the lowest approval rate. Is it an appeal and then a judge?
As I recall, the steps are application, request for reconsideration, then appeal (reviewed by a board or different individual) another appeal which I'm not sure requires you to attend in person, and finally several levels of appeals, requiring both you and your attorney to be present, and which can end up before an administrative law judge like Judge Rusty. If necessary you can actually pursue an application to Federal Appeals Court.

I think they think if they can wear you out, you'll give up. The good news (?) is the longer they wait, the bigger your first benefit payment is, and the attorney gets $6000 at most for his efforts.

Judge Rusty, given his new position as a judge with SSA, might be able to give you any information if he's allowed. He'd certainly be an excellent and reliable source of information--for better informed than I, since I got lucky fairly early in the process.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:54 pm

Meeting with the lawyer Tuesday. He's supposed to be the best in the area.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Fainn wrote:Meeting with the lawyer Tuesday. He's supposed to be the best in the area.

That's great news. Most, I think, take like 13% of any back due benefits as their fee, and there should be no up front retainer for you at all. The best with this, brother. I know it must be nerve wracking.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:03 pm

SSA may have messed up my date last insured which should be in 2017. The lawyer will look at my medical records before taking my case.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:49 pm

Found an old work schedule that should help prove the onset date due to missing work. No one but G-d could find a 3.5 year old email.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:32 pm

After Wednesday, we'll be okay. But we sure could use a financial miracle between now and then. Pray that a free-lance check will come in by Monday