Burning Problem

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
taylor714914
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Burning Problem

Post by taylor714914 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:35 am

I always get a good char light, let it go out, tamp, and light again. I make sure the bowl is lit the whole way around, but it never fails that it starts burning in the middle and not completely out to the edge. Is this just a faulty packing method by me?

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:46 am

This problem could have a few sources. Starting with an improper pack. It is possible you are packing around the outside too tight and the middle not tight enough. It is also possible that you are warming the middle constantly while lighting while the outside only gets fire in it's rotation. However, the likely reason may be that you are puffing too quickly. What I mean by that is during the draw it self you may be pulling quickly on the pipe. The path of the air will move in a concentrated center direction. A slow draw may correct this problem by allow the air to come in from all around. Air like water will move in a path of least resistance. The greater the force the tighter the path. Also when you light try lighting only the outside of the tobacco. The center will get lit in the process.
YEAH COBS

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:58 am

+JMJ+
That's normal and desirable. The ember always starts in the center and moves outward. It will never seem to completely "get to the edge", anyway. Don't sweat it. A pipe doesn't/won't/can't/shouldn't burn just like a cigarette or cigar.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

taylor714914
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by taylor714914 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:58 am

excellent. I'll give these tips a try next pack!

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 pm

I almost always light my pipe using box matches now (I can control the flame better, and avoid charring the rim), and will sometimes use up to a dozen matches over the course of a 1.5-hour-long bowl. I tend to like denser flakes and moist, dark, latakia-rich blends.

I used to fret over the amount of re-lighting but have now settled into not caring about that aspect, so long as the smokes are good (and they are usually very good).

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Re: Burning Problem

Post by Kerdy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:34 pm

taylor714914 wrote:I always get a good char light, let it go out, tamp, and light again. I make sure the bowl is lit the whole way around, but it never fails that it starts burning in the middle and not completely out to the edge. Is this just a faulty packing method by me?
Happens to me too. The worst is when only half the bowl is going and the other half is not fired up. That stinks!
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

MKeller926
Congregation
Congregation

Post by MKeller926 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:12 am

Zed wrote:However, the likely reason may be that you are puffing too quickly. What I mean by that is during the draw it self you may be pulling quickly on the pipe. The path of the air will move in a concentrated center direction. A slow draw may correct this problem by allow the air to come in from all around.
I too have had a problem with only the middle of the bowl burning during a smoke, even on narrow-bowled pipes. I can get the middle of the bowl to burn well for a while, then on the first relight the edges would light but never really burn well. The above suggestion did help the first time I tried it. I'll see if it works as well during future bowls...

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:20 am

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
That's normal and desirable. The ember always starts in the center and moves outward. It will never seem to completely "get to the edge", anyway. Don't sweat it. A pipe doesn't/won't/can't/shouldn't burn just like a cigarette or cigar.
Normal and desirable, yes.

The glowing coal burns down the middle, where the air draft is strongest.

The hot glowing center heats up the outer tobacco, causing it to char and make smoke. (Chemists call this process "destructive distillation.") That's where your flavor comes from. It leaves behind black chunks of charcoal, surrounding a center of fluffy white ash.

I like to invert the pipe, dropping the fluffy ash. Then I take my tamper, and gently lift the charcoal away from the edge, into the center core. This results in a level surface to light. The flame ignites the flavorless charcoal on top -- which heats up the fresh tobacco underneath, for more tobacco flavor.

YAY PIPE!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Monarchist
In Memoriam

Post by Monarchist » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Dug wrote:I used to fret over the amount of re-lighting but have now settled into not caring about that aspect, so long as the smokes are good (and they are usually very good).
This has become my "philosophy" as well. Sweating the burn simply distracts from the pleasure of the smoke. I just relight and forget about it.
"Never say that God is just. If He were just you would be in hell. Rely only on His injustice which is mercy, love, and forgiveness." - St. Isaac the Syrian

Monarchist
In Memoriam

Post by Monarchist » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:51 pm

One other thing as regards the description of your specific concern. Check out this link to an earlier post I made on this topic. It still works great for me:

modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10031
"Never say that God is just. If He were just you would be in hell. Rely only on His injustice which is mercy, love, and forgiveness." - St. Isaac the Syrian