DIY Tobacco Recipes, Parts 1 - 4

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
Rusty
In Memoriam

DIY Tobacco Recipes, Parts 1 - 4

Post by Rusty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:41 am

Over the years there have been various DIY blending sites, many containing recipes. Even if you can't follow a recipe without creative deviations (like moi) there are a lot of interesting suggestions....

1) I've written up some #5100 creations in a variety of threads so I'll just refer to the most recent.

2) I think the following site may have been created by Vegas Smokes but there are some interesting recipes included (though some dated by later unavailability of components) in the approx 4 pages:

http://www.tobaccoblending.com/tobacco_ ... blends.htm
http://www.tobaccoblending.com/tobacco_ ... blends.htm

3) One of my compatriots, Richard Caldwell, had an interesting blending site complete with fun recipes. His site seems to be gone....

Blenders' Bench http://host.cnwl.igs.net/%7Erichard/
Site owned and operated by Richard Caldwell

You may copy or use anything you see here, for non-commercial use. The formulas have all pleased me, but I obviously can't guarantee that they will suit you. The great thing about blending your own mixture is that you can modify anything to suit yourself. From time to time I will identify certain products that I have used, for the sake of consistency. I have no connection whatsoever with any of these companies. You may find other products that work just as well or better.
Obviously, I will claim that there are some definite advantages to blending your own tobacco:
You can produce some unique flavours.
You can control the burning rate of your tobacco.
You can make use of unusual herbal ingredients.
You control the edginess or smoothness of your blend.
You are unlikely to run out of your favourite blend at 11:00PM.
You have great economy.
You have the opportunity to be creative.

I also should point out my big limitation, namely that I make only non-aromatic blends.

Equipment:
digital scale weighing in grams and/or ounces. (less than $20)
aluminum pie plate (free)
air tight canisters ($1 each)
Zip-Loc sandwich bags

Record keeping:
Keeping an accurate, up-to-date record of each blend you make tells you how to duplicate it in the future or what to avoid doing. I use my computer. It's a good idea to label each experiment. For economy's sake you might want to make just 50g or 100g of a new blend until you are sure you will be satisfied with it. Working in percent makes this very easy.

Basic Ingredients:
Red Virginia - A very sweet, full-bodied tobacco. It is usable straight.
Lemon Virginia - Less sweet and full, it burns a little hotter.
Cube cut burley - A non-sweet, woodsy/ nutty flavoured tobacco.
Cyprian Latakia- A pungent , acrid condiment leaf cured over pine and junniper smoke.
Syrian Latakia - A very oriental condiment leaf cured over oak fires.
Quite an engaging flavour..
Turkish - Many variations are possible here. I like a light oriental.
Perique - A condiment tobacco with a strong, peppery taste.
Black Cavendish - A neutral tobacco that adds depth to a blend.
Herbs worth trying:
deer's tongue
tarragon
fine herbs
Stoving your tobacco.:
"Stoving" refers to the process in which the tobacco is cooked for a time to alter its smoking quality. Stoving at 250 deg. F. for one hour rounds off all the hard edges and integrates the flavours. You can choose to stove a single component or the completed blend. The effects will be different. If you find that Virginias tend to bite, you might stove just the Virginia. Put the tobacco in one or more quart sealers without the rubber sealing ring. Heat up to 250 deg. in the oven. Hold the temperature for an hour and let cool. This tends to accentuate the sweetness of Red Virginia. You will have no bite at all after this treatment. When the tobacco has cooled to room temperature you may need to re-hydrate it slightly. The slow way is to place a damp washcloth over bowl containing the tobacco. Make sure that the washcloth does not come into contact with tobacco. Leave it overnight. I use a faster but riskier method. I mist the tobacco very, very lightly with distilled water. If you get the tobacco too wet it may mold. The slow way is safest. Stoving is most often used with one of the Virginias, but it produces some subtle nuances with English blends or Balkans. You might want to try "toasting" the burleys. The technique is similar except that you need a bit more heat. 350 to 400 deg. should do it. Burley doesn't bite but it has a slight tang that catches at some throats. Not after toasting it though!

Let's consider an example: ARABICA
McClelland's # 5100 Red Cake 42% stoved
McClelland's Oriental 33%
McClelland's Perique 8%
Black Cavendish 17%
TOTAL 100%

McClelland would be my choice for this blend. The Red Cake is a very high quality red Virginia and their Oriental is more articulate than what I normally use. McClelland's perique is the very finest I've seen. Eight percent is lots. The Black Cavendish adds no sweetness or flavour, rather, it creates a spaciousness. Overall this blend has a moderate 'middle eastern' flavour. It is an easy-going all day smoke. The sweetness of the Red Virginia is offset by the acerbic orientals and still works the perique quite well. I make this one by the pound but you could try 100g just to see how you like it. Just replace the % sign with "g". Source: http://www.pipesforless.com . Knoxville Cigar Company. You probably don't need more than 4 ounces of perique because you never use very much. I buy a pound at a time of other common ingredients.

One of my most startling blends is Golden Horn. It showcases Syrian latakia. No matter what you think of common latakia from Cyprus, the Syrian product is dramatically different. Craig Tarler, of Cornell & Diehl , has recently got a large shipment of Syrian latakia and its quality is exceptional. If you like Greek and Turkish leaf, you've gotta love this stuff! I don't know whether to roll in it, eat it, or smoke it. Here's an opportunity to make something completely unlike any of the common commercial blends.

GOLDEN HORN
Red Virginia 10%
Cubed Burley 10%
C&D Turkish, #166 40%
C&D Syrian Latakia 40%
TOTAL 100%

If you think this is going to be too radical, you could reduce the latakia to 30% and increase the burley to 20%. Increasing the burley will have the effect of slowing the rate of combustion, for a very long, cool smoke. Cornell & Diehl tobacco is available directly from Craig Tarler at http://cornellanddiehl.com . I would not increase the red Virginia content because you probably will want the over-all blend to be "dry" like a good French wine. The whole key to getting this blend to work is the Syrian latakia. Substituting Cyprian latakia would make a fairly heavy Balkan blend. That would be good enough in its way but not exceptional. If you like orientals like I do you will not be wasting your money on a pound of this Syrian latakia. Unfortunately I don't know where to buy Turkish or Greek varietals. The only oriental tobaccos I know of are already mixtures of different kinds of leaf from Turkey, Syria, Greece, Macedonia, and Georgia. If anyone knows where to get Dubec or Smyrnian please email me at richard@cnwl.igs.net . As it is, there are a number of variations possible for this blend based on your choice the orientals to use. #166 from C&D seems to work particularly well with the Syrian latakia.

Let's move on to a series of three blends based loosely on a Middle Eastern theme. Two of the three use latakia from Cyprus, but the third uses Syrian again. All three of these blends are much less assertive and more subtle than Golden Horn.

CARAVANSERAI ..................I .......II
Red Cake #5100 ..............50%...30%
Lemmon Virginia .........................20%
Oriental .............................25%...25%
Cyprian Latakia .................25%...25%

TOTALS. .........................100% ..100%

Version II is a bit more eloquent and articulate. Version I is sweeter, but perhaps too sweet for your taste. The Cyprian latakia doesn't try to cooperate with the oriental so any good quality oriental should work fine. Either of the variations is gentle and easy-going so it should satisfy you bowl after bowl. Both respond very well to the DGT. Smoke about a third of the bowl and let your pipe go out. Light it up again next morning and expect a real treat.

TOPKAPI
Red Virginia 59%
C&D Light Oriental 20% Any oriental should be fine.
Burley 11% to add body
C&D Syrian Latakia 10% Works with the oriental.
TOTAL 100%

This blend may have the most universal appeal. It burns well but is not hot. The burley adds depth and body without intruding on the rather quiet Eastern flavour. The Virginia shows no inclination to bite and is quite adequately sweet without stoving. I keep a 1/4 pound of Topkapi on hand, as an all-day smoke. You could make this with 20g of McClelland's Oriental, which is a bit more assertive. It would be a rather ordinary light Balkan if you used Cyprian Latakia. You would lose everything that makes Topkapi distinctive. Please give me some feedback.

Now, for a change, let's consider two burley based blends. These have no oriental leaf in them at all. They are rather Canadianized traditional American blends. CANOE has a woodsy, nutty flavour. It is a very simple blend , but effective

CANOE
Burley 50%
Red Virginia 35%
Cyprian Latakia 15%
TOTAL 100%

The second blend is a little more sophisticated . It is made with toasted burley and lemon Virginia. Here is a blend redolent of leaf mould and moist earth. The toasting process is carried out with the same technique as stoving, but at a higher temperature, of 400 deg .The result is a smoky/woodsy flavour.

NORWEGIAN WOODS
Cube cut burley 50%
Lemon Virginia 19%
Cyprian Latakia 31%
TOTAL 100%

Burley and Virginia toasted together at 400 deg for 1 hour. The tanginess of the burley and Virginia are cut remarkably by toasting. The two are inseparably unified by the heat. There is no chance of tongue bite here. There is twice as much latakia in this blend compared to CANOE, and its presence is noticeable as a deliciously smoky note. Of the two, I prefer NORWEGIAN WOODS. Although neither the Lemon Virginia nor the burley are sweet, the combination seems sweet because it's so smooth. You probably should give this one a try.

Now, for a real wild card, I bring you a tobacco blend containing tarragon. The tarragon tastes much like deer's tongue, which is hard to obtain. Both the tarragon and the perique need a little sweetness to make them work. The Virginias provide the necessary sweetness. Stoving makes them even sweeter.

This month I have a real winner for everyone! The boys at the Ottawa pipe club took the whole supply of it and I'm sure would have liked more. It is a vaguely English blend called NORTHUMBERLAND after the county I grew up in.

NORTHUMBERLAND
Cube cut burley 40%
Lemon Virginia 15%
Syrian Latakia 20%
Cyprian Latakia 25%
TOTAL 100%

Burley, Virginia, and Cyprian Latakia toasted together for 1 hour at 400 deg .
Add the Syrian last . This mixture is very smooth, even to the new comer's palate.

The total amount of Latakia looks high but half of it is heavily stoved. If you try this one (and I hope you will) don't be put off by the strange tin aroma. Put the fire to a bowl full and I'll bet you won't want to stop when the bowl is empty. The Syrian content here is critical. It adds depth and complexity to the blend.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

end - pt 1
Last edited by Rusty on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:58 am

Nice read Rusty, thanks for posting.

I'll share one of my secret recipes.

I call it Irish Bayou

40% Irish flake
60% Perique
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

AnOldSoul
Pastor
Pastor

Post by AnOldSoul » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:03 pm

WOW! 8O Thanks you for all of that! I'm very excited to try to make some of those now!

Now, you mention Syrian Latakia in here a lot. Is that because this was written a while ago, or is it still available somewhere?

Also, a little blend I figured out:

1 part Latakia
and
2 parts Altadis Black Cordial

It's not bad! It should be aged just a tad to let the flavors meld, but even freshly mixed it's pretty good.
“There is no worse screen to block out the Spirit than confidence in our own intelligence.” ~ John Calvin

Proud Member of the Association of Libertarian Pipesmokers.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Jocose wrote:Nice read Rusty, thanks for posting.

I call it Irish Bayou

40% Irish flake
60% Perique
Very humorous.
I'm sitting here looking at your post while trying for 15th time to get the #$%$$# CPS S/W to accept part 2 of the recipes as a reply and I'm really wondering whether it's worth posting recipes at all....

It might be that the Lord Satan lives in CPS S/W and Jocose is his disciple. I have trouble imagining anyone but Crowley using Perique at those levels.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Part 2 (and there will be a part 3...)

3) A blender (Kilted) on BoB posted a number of interesting recipes. I thought I had posted them but ...nothing is findable (without a lot of work) on CPS... . JC may have risen into heaven but Satan himself is alive within the CPS S/W ... so I'll include those in this 'cookbook' too... maybe then it will be findable too!

Fredricksburg Mixture

December 1862 -- The Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia -- Confederate Victory
Combining all that is best about the South. Rich Red, Lemon and Stoved Virginia with Perique from the Deep South combined with a bold touch. Spicy yet mild and cool smoking, this mixture is for the discerning smoker seeking a Va/Per mixture with a "rebel heart".

20 Gram Batch
Red Virginia 70% 14 grs
Lemon VA 6% 1.2 grs
Stoved VA 6% 1.2 grs
Perique 18% 3.6 grs

General Longstreet

General James Longstreet -- Confederate
Despite a distinguished military record, high command experience and several brilliant victories, General Longstreet has often been blamed for the loss of Gettysburg. This Rich Virginia/Burley mixture is highly nuanced with gentle cigar leaf and spicy Perique, allowing the smoker an ever changing and evolving smoking experience.

20 Gram Batch
Red Virginia 35% 7 grs
Lemon Virginia 5% 1 grs
Stoved Virginia 5% 1 grs
Cigar Leaf 12% 2.4 grs
Burley 35% 7 grs
Perique 8% 1.6 grs

Stonewall Jackson

Stonewall Jackson -- 1824-1863 -- Confederate
"You may be whatever you resolve to be"
A stalwart blend Of Fine Cigar Leaf, Perique, Stoved Virginia and a touch of Black Cavendish to honor a giant of a stout hearted man. Bold and spicy in every detail, seeking to fulfill a "destiny" for the smoker who seeks the pleasures of the cigar in a pipe.

20 Gram Batch
Cigar Leaf 60% 13 grs
Black Cavendish 15% 3 grs
Perique 15% 3 grs
Stoved Virginia 10% 2 grs

General Winfield Scott Hancock

General Handcock -- U***n

General Handcock a convincing leader with significant victories and accomplishments including Gettysburg, The Wilderness and Fredricksburg finally mustered out of the Army in 1866. A classic Virginia/Burley/Cavendish mixture. The choicest Red and Stoved Virginia combined with smooth and spicy Burley with just the right portion of Black Cavendish combine for a refined and carefully balanced smoke, sure to please those interested in a smoking experience from Yesteryear.

20 Gram Batch
Red Virginia 35% 7 grs
Stoved Virginia 13% 2.6 grs
Burley 45% 9 grs
Black Cav 15% 3 grs
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:26 pm

AnOldSoul wrote:Now, you mention Syrian Latakia in here a lot. Is that because this was written a while ago, or is it still available somewhere?
Yeah, the blends are the exuberant discoveries of a pipe smoker who was smart enough to actually buy Syrian Latakia from C&D BEFORE the Fall 2004 fire. Not me. I procrastinated the buying and barely managed to acquire some of the blends that use Syrian.

I can't find Syrian Latakia but I think recipes have an intrinsic value even if one of the ingredients is missing. I don't know about you, but I have trouble actually sticking to the letter of a recipe. So.. adapt the recipe. And then there are those that suggest that talking about something makes it real. On a Christian site that last one shouldn't require any more explanation.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Part 3
Gettysburg Mixture
The Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3 1863 Uni*n Victory
Carefully selected Red and Lemon Virginia combined with a generous portion of Fine Turkish Orientals for a superb and intoxicating smoking mixture. Seasoned and novice smokers will appreciate the depth and character of these fine tobaccos. A true "crossover smoke" for the English/Balkan smoker and pipe fans from the world of Cigars.

20 Gram Batch
Red Virginia 65% 13 grs
Lemon Virginia 15% 3 grs
Oriental 20% 4 grs

President Davis Mixture

President Jefferson Davis - Confederate President
The only President of The Confederate States of America, this firebrand of a leader was never brought to trial. A fine Americanized Balkan. Rich Red and Lemon Virgina and the finest Turkish provide the foundation for the perfect measure of smoky Cyrian Latakia. A delicate balancing of Stoved Virginia and a touch of Perique add spice and interest to a complex smoking experience. A little less full and slightly sweet, this is a fine accompaniment to the evening meal, or for enjoying by the fire late at night.

20 Gram Batch
Orientals 35% 7 grs
Stoved VA 5% 1 grs
Red VA 25% 5 grs
Lemon VA 5% 1 grs
Latakia 25% 5 grs
Perique 5% 1 grs

President Lincoln Mixture
One of America's best loved Presidents, overcame his own personal demons to lead our country in overcoming it's own. A fine Americanized Balkan. Rich Red and Lemon Virgina and the finest Turkish set the stage for a generous helping of smoky Cyrian Latakia. A light balancing of Burley and a hint of Black Cavendish add refinment and layering to a stately and complex smoking experience. This is a full and satifying mixture which is never too heavy for enjoyment any time of day or evening.

50 gram Batch
Orientals 35% 17.5 grs
Black Cav 5% 2.5 grs
Red VA 25% 12.5 grs
Lemon VA 5% 2.5 grs
Latakia 25% 12.5 grs
Burley 5% 2.5 grs

New English Formulation - Enigma

Truly an Enigma, right where you expect the strong notes from Latakia and Orientals, you have Burley! A Burley dominant 'English Mixture' for the 21st Century.

10 gram batch #2
Turkish 20% 2 grs
Lemon VA 8% 0.8 grs
Stoved VA 12% 1.2 grs
Burley 30% 3 grs
Latakia 20% 2 grs
Perique 10% 1 grs

New English Mixture - Trafalgar Square

A "Traditional English Type Mixture" with Cigar leaf for fuller flavor

20 Gram Batch
Red Virginia 22% 4.4 grs
Lemon VA 8% 1.6 grs
Turkish 15% 3 grs
Latakia 25% 5 grs
Perique 12% 2.4 grs
Cigar Leaf 18% 3.6 grs

isaac
butt, Ben
butt, Ben

Post by isaac » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Cool, Rusty! Thanks for posting.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Part 4 - Could there be more?

A few years ago Dan Pipe in Germany posted a pile of recipes on their old site, which is now gone. So here are the recipes and Dan's write up. Much of this translates to our tobaccos even if it specifies some of their blenders. If there is a component that is confusing then you really should grab their catalog and look it up. Usually it's something we have too in another form maybe.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Happy Easter Monday!

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks, Rusty.

Also if you may allow me to add, a link to make your own lakeland-like or british-type aromatics.
http://www.pfeifenbox.de/articles/2004_en/soapy_en.htm
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Rusty wrote:
Jocose wrote:Nice read Rusty, thanks for posting.

I call it Irish Bayou

40% Irish flake
60% Perique
Very humorous.
I'm sitting here looking at your post while trying for 15th time to get the #$%$$# CPS S/W to accept part 2 of the recipes as a reply and I'm really wondering whether it's worth posting recipes at all....

It might be that the Lord Satan lives in CPS S/W and Jocose is his disciple. I have trouble imagining anyone but Crowley using Perique at those levels.
Doesn't that belong in "Bad Movies?" It Came From the Irish Bayou
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:19 pm

MOST AWESOME CPS POST EVER
Rusty 98%
BOOSH! 2%

Total 100%

N8
Has Really "Nice Rings"
Has Really "Nice Rings"

Post by N8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks for these Rusty!! Very helpful for the 'do-it-yourself' smoker. Look forward to trying it myself!

shazmani
Congregation
Congregation

Post by shazmani » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Awesome!! It’s just what I need!! Thanks!.......

Aalo Baday Recipes

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:07 pm

shazmani wrote:Awesome!! It’s just what I need!! Thanks!.......

Aalo Baday Recipes
Leena1471, I mean, whoever....let's talk. Click on the "PM" button below this post.

BTW, I had never considered Urdu food before. I am conflicted as to what to do. Your other post (as Leena1471) was clearly spam, but this one made me hungry.

Code: Select all

IP address for this post
 static-host202-61-53-100.link.net.pk [ 1 Post ]	[ Look up IP address ] 
Users posting from this IP address
 leena1471 [ 1 Post ]	 
 shazmani [ 1 Post ]	 
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

USA_traveller
Usher
Usher

Post by USA_traveller » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 am

Bump!

Because Pipes & Cigars has all these wonderful blending tobaccos - and here are some great recipes!

We have Artisan beers and small batch breweries. How about artisan tobacconists?
"Alone with none but Thee, my God,
I journey on my way;
What need I fear when Thou art near,
Oh King of night and day?
More safe am I within Thy hand
Than if a host did round me stand."
--Attributed to Saint Columba.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:37 am

TTT
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:48 am

This is an old tobacconist recipe:

10 oz Black Cavendish
4 oz White Burley
2 oz Golden Virginia Flake

This recipe was the inspiration for RLP-6 or Captain Black White.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Re: DIY Tobacco Recipes, Parts 1 - 4

Post by Fainn » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:33 pm

On stoving your tobacco.

I have only experimented with burley and some other blend so far and here's what I found so far.

1. Heating the burley will bring out a dark chocolate smell.
2. The maximum time of heating based on appliances found in the average home should not exceed one minute. The aroma dissipates completely and your left with a blend that tastes like rubber. I tried this in a microwave at different settings and a stainless steel pot with different settings. It doesn't matter if the blend is microwaved on the highest or the lowest setting. The results are always the same with about 45 seconds to a minute being the optimal heating time. Same goes with the microwave.
3. Heating the blend reveals humectants. A blend that uses water or some other product to keep it moist will produce steam. Neither Five Brothers or Middleton's Cherry will produce any steam. However, Prince Albert will produce a healthy steam. So will most aromatics.
4. Stoving the tobacco greatly alters its smoking characteristics and flavor. Let the tobacco settle down for a few days before using it as a blending component or smoking it without any further alteration.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image