What to do with dried out baccy?

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
owias
Congregation
Congregation

What to do with dried out baccy?

Post by owias » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi gents,

A friend just sent me some GLP blends that he had lying around for a long time. They are in a baggie very dried out. They just happen to be blends that I've been wanting to try. Do you think they need to be moistened up first or will they be fine to smoke just as is. What would be the best approach to moistening them up? They are very dried out. I'd try them now, but I've been in bed with the flu the past few days and I wouldn't be able to taste them anyway.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:18 pm

put the tobacco in it's container in a large airtight container. then wet a clean rag with water and put it in the large container. it will take time but the tobacco will draw the moisture naturally.
YEAH COBS

chazman
Pastor
Pastor

Post by chazman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:42 pm

i find those little tera cota (sp?) discs that are used to keep brown sugar moist work quite well.
can also use broken flower pots if you're too cheap to buy the discs... i speak from experience. :lol:
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." Proverbs 27:17 (King James Version)

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Definitely rehydrate the pipeweed.

I've recently had some Really Good luck by using used wooden cigar boxes - open tins (or baggies) in the box, toss in a NEW, UNUSED sponge soaked with water (put it on a piece of plastic to avoid soaking the wood and ending up with mold) and check on it every couple of days, rewetting the sponge as necessary.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

james-owen
Minister of Whippersnappery
Minister of Whippersnappery

Post by james-owen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Use a coffee filter instead of a rag.
"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest."
-Charles Lamb   http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1571

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:59 pm

Brian, good to hear from you. Hope you get over the flu quickly!

Here's just another way you can do your rehydration.

Get a plastic container (Tupperware, Glad, etc.), preferrably one with a large bottom surface area for spreading out the tobacco. Do just that. Spread it out as evenly across the bottom as you can. Wet a dish towel or similar then squeeze the water out. Lay the dish towel over the container so that it covers, but does not touch, the tobacco. About three hours usually does the trick for me but you can play around with the time and see what you prefer. If you want to go much beyond three hours you may need to re-wet the towel. Will depend on your relative humidity as well.

Good luck and take care. Happy new year!

Best,
Steve

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:45 am

Should this be moved to the Library? I was actually looking for info like this the other day.

Zed

Post by Zed » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:52 am

Irish-Dane wrote:Should this be moved to the Library? I was actually looking for info like this the other day.
as you wish

<ZEDERATED> to the library
YEAH COBS

Atom
Douched the man cave
Douched the man cave

Post by Atom » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:56 am

I usually throw a dab of bourbon in there and shake, let it sit for a day or two, then go to town with it...
Chutney: It's what's with dinner.

Zed

Post by Zed » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:57 am

I knew an old codger who would put an apple slice in the pouch with the tobacco.

cant say I approve but he liked it.
YEAH COBS

Zed

Post by Zed » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:58 am

distilled water is the best. not spring or tap. in the least make it filtered water.
YEAH COBS

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:10 am

Steverino wrote:Brian, good to hear from you. Hope you get over the flu quickly!

Here's just another way you can do your rehydration.

Get a plastic container (Tupperware, Glad, etc.), preferrably one with a large bottom surface area for spreading out the tobacco. Do just that. Spread it out as evenly across the bottom as you can. Wet a dish towel or similar then squeeze the water out. Lay the dish towel over the container so that it covers, but does not touch, the tobacco. About three hours usually does the trick for me but you can play around with the time and see what you prefer. If you want to go much beyond three hours you may need to re-wet the towel. Will depend on your relative humidity as well.

Good luck and take care. Happy new year!

Best,
Steve
This is good advice. I'd also add that you should make sure your towels are as scent free as you can get them. You don't want to have your tobacco take on the taste of Snuggle or Downy.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:40 am

Zed wrote:I knew an old codger who would put an apple slice in the pouch with the tobacco.

cant say I approve but he liked it.
There was a thread about that a month or so ago. Some thought it a good idea, others thought it would enhance mold growth.

GScott
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire

Post by GScott » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:07 am

I just put any dried tobacco in a bowl and give it a spritz from a spray bottle of filtered water. Be careful and don't spritz too much--a little goes a long way.

Murf
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Murf » Tue May 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Get a box (wood that doesn't ruin flavor or have nasty polymers). Wood absorbs moisture which is then absorbed by tobacco over time. Make sure that all sides can get exposure (the bottom is exposed to moisturized wood, and that's ok).

Add a water pillow or choose a Boveda Humidipak of the appropriate humidity you want. These are great products because at least you know the humidity is constant (they use propylene glycol), if a bit high.

As Zed said, use only distilled water (if using a water pillow).

DO NOT leave the pillow in there, indefinitely. Monitor and look for the right look and texture. Didn't do that, and my tobacco was too moist (mold risk), and I had to let it dry a little. Quality goes if tobacco is constantly treated poorly. Slower is better for quality, and that means more time.

This is not official, but is based on my practice. I have had a lot of practice with this because every friend with a dried stick or dessicated tin, has asked me to resuscitate their tobacco.