Das's Twisted Up Screwed Flake Pipe Pack Method w/ pics

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Das's Twisted Up Screwed Flake Pipe Pack Method w/ pics

Post by dasmokeryaget » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 pm

modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic& ... sc&start=0Original Thread

After a year of experimenting with and testing this method, I'm convinced that this method of packing flakes consistently yields a more evenly burning, more consistent and trouble free smoke than any I've tried.

I practiced this for a month before deciding its merits and have continued for a year before deciding it was worth putting on the forum.

I think that if you can perfect this method, you will experience a significantly cooler and tastier smoke with little or no relights required, even on straight VA flakes.

I now use this method 100% of the time with folded flakes, coarsely rubbed out flake and even long ribbon cut blends such as Kendal Kentucky and Haddo's Delight.

The ember follows the circular pattern of the grains of the flake when they are spiraled rather than straight. The tighter * the spiral, the slower and more evenly the ember burns. * Not to be confused with tightness of the pack.

When done right this packing method greatly facilitates the "radial density" and "self sustaining ember" that Wosbald describes. My definition of radial density being a specific evenly distributed density of the pack from the center of the pack to the outside of the pack. The pack burns evenly across, all the way down in a circular or spiral pattern with minimal tamping.

This method now works so well for me that (depending on the tobacco and the moisture content) I can generally set a pipe down for several minutes at the time during a smoke and come back to it and find the ember is still there which is not the norm for flakes.

Another advantage is that, for the most part it eliminates any need to tease flakes toward the center of the pipe during a smoke. It also eliminates the normally occurring voids that happen when flakes are inserted straight into the pipe.

I've also found that I get more smoke without a lot of heat, packing the flakes this way.

It's not tedious, nor time consuming, taking only a few seconds longer to pack your pipe than it ordinarily would...but it does take a little practice.

Flakes: Form the flakes (folded or broken) in a bundle or plug between your thumb and fingers just as you normally would when inserting a plug of flakes into your pipe. (I knead the whole wad a bit to loosen the tight grains on some flakes, especially tight leathery flakes like Erinmore.)

The overall diameter of this plug needs to be a bit less than you would normally use because, as you twist the plug into the pipe, it expands outward significantly.

Place the plug about half to two thirds of the way into the bowl of the pipe and place your finger tips against the rim of the pipe. Don't let go of the plug. Simultaneously, as you are inserting the plug, spin the pipe around the plug several times as you slowly mete out the plug into the pipe.

You will feel increased resistance as you twist the pipe around the plug. You dont need to feed the plug much at all and you dont need to apply any significant pressure to the pack. The spiraling action of the plug against the bowl of the pipe will provide most of the tightness needed for a proper pack.

Continue spiraling the pack until all or most of it is in the pipe. You may need to twist or pinch off the excess. At this point test the draw. With practice you can achieve the right draw by twisting the pack only and not applying any pressure at all with your finger. If the draw is too lose, tamp the pack down as normal. The spiral effect will still be intact.

Note: Do not push the pack all the way to the bottom of the pipe during the spiraling action as this inevitably leads to a strand of the flake finding its way into the airway.

When done properly, there will genrally be an air space at the bottom of the pack. Remember...it is the twisting action of the plug against the pipe and not downward pressure that provides the proper tightness.

I'll provide a pictatorial if requested.

Photos:

MacBaren Mixture Flake

Folded it as you would normally or if necessary.

Fashion into a plug.....round if at all possible.

Insert into pipe about 2/3 of the way and dont let go of plug.
Keep fingers against pipe rim.

Begin to rotate the pipe around the plug while slowly simultaneously feeding plug into pipe.

Continue to rotate pipe around plug. You will fill resistance which will increase the more you rotate the pipe. It takes a few times to know how much resistance is right for your preferred draw. Generally the plug will twist in two at your finger tips and even that is usually not a very tight pack if you haven't pushed too hard.

Then check the draw and tamp down to adjust draw as needed, if needed.

A bit blurry, but you can sort of see the circular pattern after the plug has twisted off.

Generally about two to three full rotations, perhaps more depending on size of bowl, depth of insertion and texture of flake.

Its easier than I make it sound.
Last edited by dasmokeryaget on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDuke
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TheDuke » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Great tutorial Das! Gonna give it a try tomorrow.
O give thanks unto the LORD;for he is good;for his mercy endureth forever.Psalm 136;1 

Man...smoking a turd....could there be anything worse? Well....maybe smoking a cob. SimeonTurner3/5/10                         

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:19 pm

That's pretty much how I do it too! Works pretty well I find.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 pm

My God, you have short thumbs.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 pm

DepartedLight wrote:My God, you have short thumbs.
:baghead:

SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Post by SmokinGordon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Must be a family characteristic. Looks like my thumbs, only mine might be shorter.
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:10 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:
:baghead:
:rotfl:
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:13 pm

I actually utilize this method fairly frequently for flakes. Just this afternoon I twisted two flakes of SG Best Brown into the Dakota "apple" to smoke while walking around in the snow with my kids. Good times.
Sola Deo Gloria

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Thanks. I was hoping for some pics.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for bringing this back up. I don't believe I saw it the first time around. Will definitely give it a try.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:22 pm

I think I will, too. I have always rubbed out my flakes, but this looks intriguing. I believe I will try it out with some PIF and a Peterson canadian tomorrow night.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:04 pm

After a year now, Ive gotten this down pretty well. In fact two weeks ago I smoked for about 10 minutes and set the pipe down. I was gone long enough to put wood on the fire, go to the bathroom, grab a glass of tea and another bowl of chili.

While I was waiting for the chili to cool, I put the pipe back in my mouth and got distracted when I dropped the remote. I reached for my lighter to relight and lo and behold it was still lit.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:25 am

I used this method this morning. Not sure if I got it right. Ya know, 'cause I got normal thumbs and all :twisted:
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:46 am

DepartedLight wrote:I used this method this morning. Not sure if I got it right. Ya know, 'cause I got normal thumbs and all :twisted:
You're on a roll this morning.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:55 pm

DepartedLight wrote:I used this method this morning. Not sure if I got it right. Ya know, 'cause I got normal thumbs and all :twisted:
Well.played, Sir DelightedPart.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:38 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:DelightedPart.
That's gonna stick!:twisted:

Might even become a moniker.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Del wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:DelightedPart.
That's gonna stick!:twisted:

Might even become a moniker.
I got one better... DelightfulFart :lol: Sorry for any ladies reading, I just couldn't hold it in...
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis