Quick & Easy Way to Rehydrate Pipe Tobacco

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Quick & Easy Way to Rehydrate Pipe Tobacco

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:12 pm

+JMJ+
Pipe tobacco must be moist enough to be "workable". It doesn't necessarily need to be sopping. But in order to get the "edge to edge" tightness or tautness during the pack, it must be pliable, nevertheless.

Rehydrating pipe tobacco in the same manner as cigars is tedious. And unnecessary. Cigars are rehydrated slowly because a fast hydration (or dehydration) will very likely damage the wrapper and render the cigar useless. The cigar, throughout its structure, must take up moisture uniformly. But with pipe tobacco, this is not an issue.

I have found that, with bone dry tobacco, the amount of water needed to rehydrate properly is about 1.5 teaspoons for every approximate 2 ounces of tobacco (slightly adjust as desired). No need to weigh the tobacco. Use a 2 oz can, 4 oz can, etc. to approximate the volume needed.

There are a few ways to approach this. One can simply place the desired volume of dry tobacco into a lidded container which is at least twice that volume. Add the distilled/filtered water, put on the lid, and shake the container to distribute the tobacco and water evenly. Leave on the container and slightly rap the container to knock excess tobak stuck to the walls. Let rest for a number of hours until the moisture equalizes.

There are variations on the method. If one doesn't have a suitably large container for mixing, one can add the target amount of water to half of the target of dry tobacco. Follow the procedure as above, and then mix in the moist tobacco (very moist) into full amount of dry tobacco.

This technique can also be used with "ready rubbed" flakes (e.g. Mac Baren Virginia #1).

RECIPE (This is a working maximum. If necessary, adjust water ratio downward to personal taste)
  • 1.5 Teaspoons Water per 2 Ounces Tobacco
  • 1 Tablespoon Water per 4 Ounces Tobacco
  • 2 Tablespoons (1 fluid ounce) Water per 8 Ounces Tobacco
  • 4 Tablespoons (2 fluid ounces) Water per 16 Ounces (1 Pound) of Tobacco

VARIATIONS
  1. Though I've not tried this method with full flakes (because I don't have any bone-dry flakes lying around), I'm considering this extrapolated method:
    • Lay down a sheet of Plastic Wrap.
    • Lay down a dry flake on the Wrap.
    • Quickly dip a dry flake into a cup of purified water and allow to briefly drip.
    • Place the wet flake on top of the dry one.
    • Place a dry flake on top of the wet flake.
    • Repeat with alternating wet and dry flakes until done.
    • Wrap up the pile in the Plastic Wrap
    • Allow the moisture to equalize.
    • Thoroughly remix the leaf, so as to distribute possible moist "pockets".
    • If, after moisture equalization, the tobacco is too wet for one's preference, simply mix in some more bone-dry leaf.
  2. A variation may be able to be used with plugs. Quickly dip the entire plug into water and wrap in plastic wrap until the moisture has equalized. Repeat the process as necessary until the desired moisture content is reached.

DISCLAIMER: If the possibility of mold is a concern, one should simply hydrate as much as one plans upon using within a reasonable amount of time. YMMV.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks, Wos.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Anyone else try the Wos method here and could weigh in on his or her experience?
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Good idea Wosbald!

What I like to do is take about a 2-1/2" length of duct tape off the roll and lay it flat with the sticky side up on my workbench. I then take one sheet of paper towl fold it and roll it into a tight cylinder a little wider than the piece of duct tape. I then place this cylinder of paper towel along the bottom edge of the piece of duct tape, gently press it into place along the edge of the tape and then roll the paper towel cylinder and the duct tape into a cylinder.
I then with scissors trim off the overhanging papertowel from each end of the cylinder and then cut this duct tape cylinder in half making two humidifying tubes.
I then take my spray bottle of distilled water and press the end of the duct tape tube to the nozzle of the spray bottle and slowly squeeze the trigger injecting water into the end of the cylinder and saturating the paper until it begins to run out the opposite end of the tube.
I then gently dry off the outer surfaces of the tubes.
I then simply drop these into the mason jar along with the dry tobacco and allow nature to take its course.
I will then ocassionally shake up the jar to distribute newly re-hydrated tobacco throughout the jar.
The beauty of this is that surface tension and the paper towel will hold the moisture inside the tubes and gently release the moisture as it is extracted by the dry tobacco.
I made up a bunch of these to have ready to drop in to containers that needed a little hydrating. And being made of duct tape they last a long time and are reuseable.
As tight as I am there was no way I was going to buy any re-hydrating gimmicks and found a cheap way to make my own.