Kyoto Cold-Drip Coffee

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Kyoto Cold-Drip Coffee

Post by wosbald » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:05 pm

+JMJ+
Let's get one thing straight: this is not Toddy. Whereas both brews are sweet and subdued, the flavor of Toddy is rather muddy and diffuse whilst Kyoto Cold-Drip is crisp and nuanced. Toddy is serviceable and apt as an ingredient, but Cold-Drip is cultured and well-savored straight.

Kyoto Cold-Drip is simple both in principle and execution. Preparation is a breeze and even the novice or those with little patience for esoteric processes will easily find success. Complication (superfluous complication) only enters the picture in regards to the theatrics and elegance designed into the brewing device. A simple and ugly dripper is capable of producing the same quality brew as the most moderne or byzantine art-piece.

The principle is simple: Room-temperature water is sluiced, drop by drop, through a stationary bed of coffee and which brewed at 1.5 times the conventionally-accepted strength ("2 Tbsp coffee per 4 oz of water" rather than the conventional strength of "2 Tbsp of coffee per 6 oz of water") for a duration of anywhere from 3 to 5 hours. Though some methods recommend 8 to 12 hours, this is unnecessarily lengthy, as a proper startup-procedure will achieve equivalent results in a mere fraction of the time.

Aside from an easier and more convenient preparation, the shorter brewing cycle has another benefit: most home setups do not have a level-cock. This is a small, secondary reservoir which continually fills with brewing water from the primary reservoir so as maintain a consistent drip-rate. To keep a consistent drip rate, brewers with only a single reservoir will have to have the drip valve opened periodically (every hour or so) as the water level lowers and the drip-rate slows due to change in pressure. A short brewing cycle means that the occasional tweaking required is kept to a minimum.

Filtering mediums vary: some use a ceramic disc, some use a metal or glass strainer. A paper filter (most models seem sized so as to accept Aeropress filters) can also be used to good effect. An second Aeropress paper filter is also used on top of the grounds so as to diffuse the water drops across the entire bed of grounds.

Method
  1. Use approximately 2 oz by weight (or 6 oz by volume) of finely ground (neither pulverized nor like espresso-grind, but instead, like table salt) coffee for every 24 oz of water. This equates to 2 Tbsp of coffee per 4 oz of water. The grounds must not be too excessively powdery, so blade-grinder users take note.
  2. Water should be room temperature. It does not have to be iced.
  3. Place the ground coffee in a appropriately-sized mixing bowl.
  4. Take one ounce (by volume) of the brewing water and add it to the coffee in the bowl.
  5. Mix water and coffee mixture until the water is fully incorporated into the grounds.
  6. After making sure the appropriate filters are in place, place the wetted coffee grounds into the designated receptacle.
  7. Gently shake receptacle to level the bed of grounds.
  8. Place a paper filter on the top of the bed of grounds.
  9. Set the Initial Drip-Rate: I find that setting the drips to the beat of "Edelweiss" is appropriate. (This equates to about 0.5 drops a second or about 30 drops a minute.)
  10. The first drips of brewed coffee will begin to appear in the bottom carafe after approximately 45 minutes.
  11. After these first drops are seen, set the Final Drip-Rate: Set the drips to the rhythm of "Mony Mony". (This is a little more than 2 drops a second or about 140 drops a minute.)
  12. Every hour or so, adjust the valve in order to maintain a consistent Drip-Rate. NOTE: Very large Cold-Drip brewers (like the large-sized Yama model which make 3 liters at once) may well require much faster drip rates than those listed here in order to finish in 3-5 hours.
  13. When done, stir coffee in carafe with a wooden utensil and transfer coffee to containers that may be stored in the fridge. I find that half-liter, disposable, plastic Dasani/Perrier/San Pellegrino water bottles work well.
  14. The coffee will be the most delicate and nuanced on the first day and will progressively get richer and heavier (though not rancid) as it ages over the course of days. It will be at its best for about 3 or 4 days, but it will keep in the fridge for at least 7 days.
  15. Unlike hot-brewed paper filters, the paper filters used in Cold-Drip can be immediately rinsed when done brewing (just don't let them dry out) and stored in a container of cold water in the fridge, right along with any cloth filters that one may use for hot-brewed coffee.
  16. When serving, it should be noted that a 3-4 oz glass of undiluted cold-drip coffee is equivalent (caffeine-wise) to a classically-sized (5-6 oz) cup of conventional-strength coffee.
Last edited by wosbald on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Kyoto Cold-Drip Coffee

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:19 pm

I've never heard of such an animal.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Well, actually I know what my first feeling was, but I'm going to ponder it a bit before dismissing it out of hand.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Can you recommend an affordable brewer?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:32 pm

After following the instructions here, the resulting product is stored in the refrigerator. What do you do with it after that?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:58 pm

+JMJ+
coco wrote:Can you recommend an affordable brewer?
There is the Bruer available from Sur La Table. I've one of these that I ordered from the Kickstarter program. It is nicely designed and functional, makes 24 oz, and is only $65. But the glass is VERY thin. I keep it packed away in the original box when not in use. They said they were going to try to get the glass thicker at some point, so it may be worth waiting.

The Iwaki dripper, available all over Ebay it seems, appears to be nice for what it is and is attractive, but it only makes about 14 ounces and doesn't have an adjustable valve which I think is a distinct disadvantage.

This one on Ebay is only $28. It only brews 16 oz, but its top two chambers are made of acrylic which makes it a sturdy choice. Never used it, but it seems sound enough. It is ugly, though …

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:06 pm

+JMJ+
JudgeRusty wrote:After following the instructions here, the resulting product is stored in the refrigerator. What do you do with it after that?
I like it taken neat and cold from the fridge. One can add a touch of cream for a nice iced beverage, of course. I would be loathe to heat it, though.

If one needs a very concentrated "ingredient" for cooking or baking or want to heat it up or make some really over-the-top mocha-like beverages, then I think that Toddy would suffice for such types of drinks.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:40 am

wos: How often do you make this? Is it meditative for you?

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:22 am

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:wos: How often do you make this? Is it meditative for you?
Usually every 3 or 4 days. By getting the process down to 3 hours with such a forgivingly nonchalant method, it is easy and convenient to make. I usually drink it as a pick-me-up, sipped in 2 oz glasses, and not as an outright replacement for "normal" coffee. But it's also good for traveling and hectic mornings and whatnot.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:59 am

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:wos: How often do you make this? Is it meditative for you?
Usually every 3 or 4 days. By getting the process down to 3 hours with such a forgivingly nonchalant method, it is easy and convenient to make. I usually drink it as a pick-me-up, sipped in 2 oz glasses, and not as an outright replacement for "normal" coffee. But it's also good for traveling and hectic mornings and whatnot.
I like the idea. I may have to try it.

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:58 pm

We called this Dutch coffee. It would seem larger volumes of water would take more time to ensure proper extraction. Wos, is your experience in this limited to the Bruer? If not, what other devices have you used to make cold drip coffee?

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:12 pm

+JMJ+
gravel wrote:We called this Dutch coffee. It would seem larger volumes of water would take more time to ensure proper extraction. Wos, is your experience in this limited to the Bruer? If not, what other devices have you used to make cold drip coffee?
My experience with Kyoto Cold-Drip (though not with Toddy Cold-Brew) is limited to the Bruer. However, I will say that in principle, the variables for coffee extraction remain the same regardless of the quantity being made. (I say "in principle" because there can often be methodological considerations that modify the practical veracity of the principle's application.)

The most common size of Cold-Drip setups seem to be the 1 liter and the 1.5 liter. There is also a 3 liter brewing tower made by Yama. The issue with ever-larger setups is that the coffee bed becomes progressively deeper without becoming progressively broader. It cannot become broader without requiring something akin multiple dripping-spigots spread-out above the surface of the bed so-as to ensure even saturation. Whether a deeper bed significantly impacts the brewing specifics, I do not know. However, I suspect that it doesn't greatly impact it simply because cold water does not cause the starch hydrolization that is endemic to hot-water brewing, and it is the starch hydrolysis which causes the "backup" or pooling of water as the brew-cycle progresses. Hydrolyzed starch impedes the flow of water through the grounds, cold water brewing should percolate freely and evenly regardless of the brew-cycle duration, the volume of water used or the depth of the coffee bed.

And so, assuming that the given guidelines of complete pre-saturation and homogenous water-percolation are met, I feel confident that a 3-5 hour brew-cycle will be all that is needed regardless of brew size.