The "wosbald" Approach to Proper Pipe Smoking

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: The

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:58 pm

I would like to go on the record right now and state that Goose misunderstood me.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:59 pm

I would like to go on the record right now and state that Goose misunderstood me.

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Zombie thread revival of the month.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Onyx wrote:Zombie thread revival of the month.
Its a good thread with good information.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:10 am

I still use my own modified Frank method to pack the tobacco, and adapted the tamping and lighting portions of this process. And that's the key, make this thing your own. You probably do things a couple hundred ways before you find out the way that works best for you. And then that whole process with now be called your process, which is what makes pipe smoking so individual while a collective institution.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:07 pm

I utilize various methods. It really depends on what I feel like doing most days. For flake, it is a modified version of the "das-twist" method. For a finely cut ribbon, the ol' hand twist load is the best I've found. I utilized the Frank method for a time, but I found it was no more beneficial than the tried and true 3 tamp load. I may give the wosbald approach a go, who knows.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:17 pm

I would think any tobacco that at least has some ribbon cut in it would have a better burn pattern by the "ol' hand twist load." Though I don't think Wosbald wrote about this in his article, he inferred it by mentioning how cigars and cigarettes burn better because of their spiral tobacco "pack" pattern.

Jos just wrote tobaccos like Orlik Golden Slice and Dunhill Flake would need a modified version of the "das-twist" method. What is the "das-twist" method?

But of course, "coarse" burleys like Sir Walter Raleigh would need to be packed with the "3 tamp load" that Josh just mentioned.
Last edited by Goose55 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Goose55 wrote:I would think any tobacco that at least has some ribbon cut in it would have a better burn pattern by the "ol' hand twist load." Though I don't think Wosbald wrote about this in his article, he inferred it by mentioning how cigars burn better because of tobacco "pack" pattern.
I've found the typical ribbon cut, such as what one finds from McClelland and even Pease, does not burn better with the hand twist load. This has to do with, at least from my experience, the inconsistent cut of the blend or the blend cut breaking down over time (i.e. fine, long ribbon turning into bits and pieces [crumbs] of tobacco).
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:39 pm

We've been having very unusually cool weather here in the southern Arizona deserts, and so this has extended the time I get to enjoy Dunhill Nightcap,... a blend that many have stated is best enjoyed in in-climate weather.

I have been thinking about what I am learning through the Wosbald article, and applying it to every tobacco and every pipe I smoke, and it is fruitful. Even with a strong blend like Nightcap.

Not sure Nightcap is a "strong" blend, but many have claimed it is a Latikia bomb, or hammer. I must like Latakia

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:41 pm

This babe in arms, new to pipe smoking learner is slowly and carefully working his way through his first tin of Dunhill Flake, a big boy tobacco.

Today, for the first time, I began to enjoy this tobacco, very much. This evening, I smoked a full flake in an old estate hand made Stanwell I picked up recently for a song.

Had been smoking only Nightcap in this pipe, but with the evenings getting warmer, this was the first Dunhill Flake I smoked in it, sipping slow, inhaling a bit, and enjoying the taste.

To pack the pipe, I gently worked the flake into manageable strands and let them dry a bit on a plate in the Arizona Room. Then I tried a packing method I had not used before, that worked quite well with the long strands of baccy. I slowly filled the pipe by twisting the strands, in a clockwise pattern, down into the bowl, bit by bit.

The result was that after the 2nd light, after crisping, I did not have to relight again for the full hour of sipping this wonderful tobacco. Of note was that as I periodically gently loosened the ash, and tapped it out, I actually saw the spiral pattern of the burn that resulted from the pack. There was never any uneven burning, but a constant central ember.

If you haven't ever tried this method of packing long tobacco strands like this, or from coins, give a try.

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Thu May 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:I still use my own modified Frank method to pack the tobacco, and adapted the tamping and lighting portions of this process.

And that's the key, make this thing your own.

You probably do things a couple hundred ways before you find out the way that works best for you.

And then that whole process with now be called your process, which is what makes pipe smoking so individual while a collective institution.
Plus one and Amen to that.

Excellent quote.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:52 pm

Goose, The Newb here again with a short report on what this novice has been doing with regards to tobacco moisture and drying before loading the pipe. I do not feel tinned Flake tobaccos such as Dunhill Flake or Orlik Golden Slice need any drying time at all. Tins I've had appear to be at perfect moisture

But the chunky bulk McClelland-like broken flake tobaccos (which Sam G. BBF is also like), I feel they are at an ideal moisture level for rubbing out, but not yet for smoking. What I do with these is, for example, at some point early in the day I carefully rub back to ribbon as much as will fill the evening pipe/s, and then put it in an empty tin, with the 4 ounce working jar on top, for reference. For reference because I often will do this with two different broken flakes if I want two bowls to smoke.

Then, when I am about ready for my evening smoke, I pour out the tin on a plate and disperse it, checking it for moisture by pinching some with my fingers (drying time depends on interior humidity). If it sticks to my fingers, it's still too moist. If it reaches the idea moisture level and no longer sticks to my fingers, and I am not yet ready smoke, I place another plate on top of it, upsidedown, to slow the drying. If I want to speed up the drying, I will run the ceiling fan for a short while. The last thing I do is sift that tobacco so only the long/ large ribbons get placed at the bottom of the bowl. If the ribbons are nice and long, I will try to twist those in in order to get a spiral smolder pattern. And the sifted, even drier bits go on top, like kindling.

Makes for a sometimes perfect smoke, with a lot of flavor derived. I say "sometimes" because smoking outside, with monsoon humidity July-Sept, I am having to make some adjustments with lighter packing density, to compensate for the wetter air being drawn into the pipe.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Goose . . .

If you keep this up, I'm either going to have to give up the pipe . . . or shoot myself!
You make me feel like I'm not taking this seriously enough.

Mostly, I smoke out of a Ziplock bag I loaded into the tobacco compartment of a pipe pouch, an open tin or one of several Ziplocks I loaded up with stuff I like that's mostly stored in jars. If the stuff's too wet, I leave the bag open for a while. If it dries out, I spray a little distlled water into the bag and close it.

Typically, I absent mindedly load whatever pipe I'm smoking with the pipe in the bag, pressing with my thumb while thinking about something else. I light the pipe, sometimes let it go out, tamp it and relight. Sometimes don't bother.

If it's a flake, I fold it, stuff it, and light it.

In either case, I puff enough to keep the pipe lit. Sometimes get carried away and have to back off. Sometimes get distracted and need to relight.

I think maybe I'm not taking this seriously enough.

Fly fishing is serious! Life and death! A bad knot, an unforgiveable sin.
A dog that breaks point, walks on eggs or fails to back is a genuine concern.
Continuously missing high incomers a failure needing immediate attention.

Pipe smoking is recreation.

That's the Durangopipe method. It will never be published or emulated nor should it be. Neither do I tecommend it to others.

Notice, I've avoided mentioning the nearly obsessive pipe stummel and stem polishing . . . that has more to with enjoying the pipes apart from smoking.
A totally separate matter. :pipe3:

Like most everything we do in this world, after a while we find our own way.
Last edited by durangopipe on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:Goose . . .

If you keep this up, I'm either going to have to give up the pipe . . . or shoot myself!
You make me feel like I'm not taking this seriously enough.

Mostly, I smoke out of a Ziplock bag I loaded into the tobacco compartment of a pipe pouch, an open tin or one of several Ziplocks I loaded up with stuff I like that's mostly stored in jars. Typically, I absent mindedly load whatever pipe I'm smoking with the pipe in the bag, pressing with my thumb while thinking about something else. I light the pipe, sometimes let it go out, tamp it and relight. Sometimes don't bother.

If it's a flake, I fold it, stuff it, and light it.

In either case, I puff enough to keep the pipe lit. Sometimes get carried away and have to back off. Sometimes get distracted and need to relight.

I think maybe I'm not taking this seriously enough.

Fly fishing is serious!
Pipe smoking is recreation.

That's the Durangopipe method. It will mever be published or emulated. Nor do I tecommend it to others.

Notice, I've avoided mentioning the pipe and stem polishing . . . that has more to with enjoying the pipes apart from smoking.
A totally separate matter. :pipe3:

Like most everything we do in this world, after a while we find our own way.
You stole my method, sir. Strong letter to follow.

And the horse you rode in on.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:20 pm

Do not currently have horses.
But point well taken.

I'm hoping to make the case for simultaneous invention not theft of intellectual property.
Do you know a good lawyer I might use?
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:35 pm

durangopipe wrote:Do not currently have horses.
But point well taken.

I'm hoping to make the case for simultaneous invention not theft of intellectual property.
Do you know a good lawyer I might use?

No, just a bunch of hucksters.

Actually, do you want to know what method I use with shag cut, nine times out of ten? I put a large pinch of tobacco in my hand, flip the pipe upside down, and make concentric clockwise circles with the pipe until it's filled. Magically perfect, if occasionally wasteful. I then absent minded minded smoke.

Goose, important note. It doesn't work anti-clockwise.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:54 pm

I still use the three pinch method we were taught in the early 70's.
If you're having packing issues, a cube cut is the simplest---just fill'er up and fire.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:Actually, do you want to know what method I use with shag cut, nine times out of ten? I put a large pinch of tobacco in my hand, flip the pipe upside down, and make concentric clockwise circles with the pipe until it's filled. Magically perfect, if occasionally wasteful.
That is a very good method for those types of tobaccos. It establishes a spiral burn/ smolder pattern, like that of a cigar-- enabling "the pipe to smoke itself." I think a twisting pack is particularly effective with any long strand tobacco. I've used it with wonderful results with Orlik Golden Slice & Dunhill Flake, as they both rub out lightly to long strands.

But that method will not work with rubbed out McClelland or other brand's of broken flakes.

For rubbed out broken flakes I use that 3 fill method: remembering first a child's, then a woman's, and last a man's handshake. And also use the chalk Sharrow Philtpads, which are great and serve multiple purposes. Besides absorbing moisture and tars, they have ribs on the bottom to allow just enough air for draw, and they also take up that space at the bottom of the bowl that suffers from mistaken over-packing, ruining the bowlful of baccy.

Read the reviews, folks. The Philtpads are great:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-filt ... ltpads-10/

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:55 pm

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:Actually, do you want to know what method I use with shag cut, nine times out of ten? I put a large pinch of tobacco in my hand, flip the pipe upside down, and make concentric clockwise circles with the pipe until it's filled. Magically perfect, if occasionally wasteful.
That is a very good method for those types of tobaccos. It establishes a spiral burn/ smolder pattern, like that of a cigar-- enabling "the pipe to smoke itself." I think a twisting pack is particularly effective with any long strand tobacco. I've used it with wonderful results with Orlik Golden Slice & Dunhill Flake, as they both rub out lightly to long strands.

But that method will not work with rubbed out McClelland or other brand's of broken flakes.

For rubbed out broken flakes I use that 3 fill method: remembering first a child's, then a woman's, and last a man's handshake. And also use the chalk Sharrow Philtpads, which are great and serve multiple purposes. Besides absorbing moisture and tars, they have ribs on the bottom to allow just enough air for draw, and they also take up that space at the bottom of the bowl that suffers from mistaken over-packing, ruining the bowlful of baccy.

Ah, grasshopper.
You are eager. This is good.

Your eyes are wide. Your mind is keen and open. Your heart is big.

We are all in different places but on the same journey, warily following many winding, worthy paths to the properly-packed pipe.

None of us shall ever see the end of this journey. The end, where there will only be smoke. Never a relight nor a gurgle. Never an unpleasant ghost. All, finally, all ways and always reduced to a fine, white ash.

Should a foe cruelly snap your stem.
Close your eyes. See my face.
Hear my voice . . .

The crane Goose. The Crane. :pipe2:

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:33 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:Actually, do you want to know what method I use with shag cut, nine times out of ten? I put a large pinch of tobacco in my hand, flip the pipe upside down, and make concentric clockwise circles with the pipe until it's filled. Magically perfect, if occasionally wasteful.

Ah, grasshopper.
You are eager. This is good.

Your eyes are wide. Your mind is keen and open. Your heart is big.

We are all in different places but on the same journey, warily following many winding, worthy paths to the properly-packed pipe.

None of us shall ever see the end of this journey. The end, where there will only be smoke. Never a relight nor a gurgle. Never an unpleasant ghost. All, finally, all ways and always reduced to a fine, white ash.

Should a foe cruelly snap your stem.
Close your eyes. See my face.
Hear my voice . . .

The crane Goose. The Crane. :pipe2:
Wonderfully eloquent and inspiring! I will stand tall with all the Cranes on CPS!