Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by dennisthemenace » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Been reading up on a formula that takes the oxidation off old ebonite fountain pens. It's also good for pipe mouthpieces; but I'll post a page on that elsewhere. http://www.lbepen.com/deoxidizer-instructions
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 pm

As I was reading the box pass thread, I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be cool if we had a nice journal that we just passed around between members over time?" Basically when you get it you can keep it for however long, write whatever you want and then just pass it at your discretion to another member. It could include musings, poetry, tobacco reviews, words of encouragement, personal psalms of lament, anything. What say you? Good idea? Crappy idea? It would basically be a more intimate, tangible version of the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 pm
As I was reading the box pass thread, I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be cool if we had a nice journal that we just passed around between members over time?" Basically when you get it you can keep it for however long, write whatever you want and then just pass it at your discretion to another member. It could include musings, poetry, tobacco reviews, words of encouragement, personal psalms of lament, anything. What say you? Good idea? Crappy idea? It would basically be a more intimate, tangible version of the forum.

You should sit down because I'm going to blow your mind.

In the old days they called this 'writing letters' and yes groups passed them around just like a journal. There were even chain letters. Before there was Amazon, eBay, email and even Television - can you imagine it? - there were hand written letters, using fountain pens on paper. Really! Many people were avid correspondents writing many letters every week. And there was no 3rd party moderation whatsoever. None. Can you imagine that? You could write about politics, religion, abortion, even torrid love letters, and nobody could stop you. Well, except in the communist block and on certain top secret atomic development projects during WWII. Nobody 'locked' the mail stream. Is that a mind blower or what?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:09 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 pm
...even torrid love letters
Mrs. Zed wrote me three of them last week.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Rusty wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 pm

You should sit down because I'm going to blow your mind.

In the old days they called this 'writing letters' and yes groups passed them around just like a journal. There were even chain letters. Before there was Amazon, eBay, email and even Television - can you imagine it? - there were hand written letters, using fountain pens on paper. Really! Many people were avid correspondents writing many letters every week. And there was no 3rd party moderation whatsoever. None. Can you imagine that? You could write about politics, religion, abortion, even torrid love letters, and nobody could stop you. Well, except in the communist block and on certain top secret atomic development projects during WWII. Nobody 'locked' the mail stream. Is that a mind blower or what?
Haha, Stop. You know I doubt if any of my students have ever mailed a letter. I used to have a pen pal when I was a kid, good times. I reckon at 30 I grew up right at the tail end of letter writing. I used to write to my aunt and grandma too, my mom made me, but still, looking back I'm kinda glad she did. I always got excited when the replies came. Something about getting mail. Now it's either bills, credit card offers or Amazon packages.

The journal I imagine becoming an artifact of sorts, different contributors, different inks, undoubtedly it would be an interesting read. I feel like you get to know people differently via pen and paper, you might think a little more if you can't hit backspace. Just a thought.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Oh also, just picked up a Conklin Durograph

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:59 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Did you get the free 90 ml bottle of Monteverde ink?

Post a pic of the Conklin.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 am

Rusty wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Did you get the free 90 ml bottle of Monteverde ink?

Post a pic of the Conklin.
I'm in a professional development conference right now, but I'll post a pic later. Nah didn't get the ink because I got the pen cheap on Amazon.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 pm

I am smitten....

Probably some strange side effect of a Harvest Moon.... No it's not. It's a Halloween Pen. Yes.

Last week Goulet announces that the Fall Edison Premiere is launching this week... but he says it won't be as popular as the previous couple. Ah ha...,me thinks, he has gone nuts again and it's a pen for me. It's true. The previous two were lovely pastel and flower colours... nice, for girls. But this? This is for a Halloween nut.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:08 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Rusty wrote:I am smitten....

Probably some strange side effect of a Harvest Moon.... No it's not. It's a Halloween Pen. Yes.

Last week Goulet announces that the Fall Edison Premiere is launching this week... but he says it won't be as popular as the previous couple. Ah ha...,me thinks, he has gone nuts again and it's a pen for me. It's true. The previous two were lovely pastel and flower colours... nice, for girls. But this? This is for a Halloween nut.
I do love Halloween although being a Spanish teacher, I prefer the Dia de Los Muertos flavor... in either case, it was no coincidence that that Conklin and a sample of Autumn Oak found its way to my door at the beginning of October. I like the feel of the Conklin, but something about the feed is weird, I’m going to try a Goulet nib in it when I get a chance.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Picked up an ink sampler from Birmingham Pen Co

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:17 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:14 pm
Picked up an ink sampler from Birmingham Pen Co

This reads like useless facts. Which inks and what do you think of them?
I've never tried any of theirs and I haven't seen them in Canada. So... inky revelations are welcome.

The smitten is in my mitten. I have my happy Halloween pen. Really nice, with a big broad nib. However, my brown-green ink fascination is getting in the way of inking it. And all of the brown-green inks are in use! Orange inks I do not have. What would I do them with them otherwise? My summer pens are all still inked. What!? Somehow it hasn't really registered yet that it's fall! It's a strange sort of seasonal astigmatism. Maybe I'll put Diamine Ancient Copper in it or I could load it with black... do I have black? No. The closest is Diamine Eclipse which has a midnight purply kind of thing. I suppose it is my black.
Ah ha... I do have black. I have an old bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Jet Black.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Birmingham Pen Company is out of Pennsylvania, it’s a guy who makes his own inks, the sampler comes with all 30 of his colors, it’s a good deal, I’ve dip tested a few of them, for my November colors, I settled on Oxidized Brass.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:17 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:36 pm
Birmingham Pen Company is out of Pennsylvania, it’s a guy who makes his own inks, the sampler comes with all 30 of his colors, it’s a good deal, I’ve dip tested a few of them, for my November colors, I settled on Oxidized Brass.

Nice colour! 30 inks? Wow. They're not expensive.
Their URL ... https://www.birminghampens.com/collecti ... am_brandfp

I can barely keep up with seasonal pens and inks and you're talking monthly inks!
So I gather we'll be treated to a new colour ink every month.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Oh also, my buddy got a TWSBI and I’m totally jealous, it is an awesome pen, anybody have one?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:46 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 pm
Oh also, my buddy got a TWSBI and I’m totally jealous, it is an awesome pen, anybody have one?

Yeah. I have all of the demonstrators (so none of the Classic model) in every size and some models in multiple colours. I love them. If I could buy stock in that company I would. No regrets at all. I was sold when my first ECO arrived. I was shocked at the quality and a piston filler too for under $30! Wow. And it's really Engineering dECO. It all works. You can take it all apart for cleaning. They include a cute wrench and silicon grease with every pen. These folks ARE Engineers. Try finding that with any other Piston filler. I went on to buy all the rest of them one at a time... and then in multiple colours too. There are worse acquisition diseases. All the nibs are steel (Jowo, I think, so they don't make nibs). They're not flex nibs. But they're standard #5's and #6's and 3rd parties do make replacements, even in 14K gold and more flexible nibs. But the pens all write very well as-is out of box. TWSBI is trying to start a revolution with their pricing. Vive La Revolution!

Their Instagram site is fun to watch because all the new models are announced there plus they post a lot of TWSBI fan art that is fun to look at.

https://www.instagram.com/twsbi/?hl=en
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 am

Johnny, I expected an exultant "I gotta TWSBI !!" post by now. What's happening?
I was just thinking that I hadn't really gone nuts buying pens this year. This is classic PAD behaviour and I recognize this sort of craziness by now. The mind hides the true dimensions of the disease. You can only imagine the last few. Eight pens! They all write nicely though. And some were bargains that are time-limited so..... Yes, Rusty, and every pipe is unique and needs a home. Ahhhhh!
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Rusty wrote:Johnny, I expected an exultant "I gotta TWSBI !!" post by now. What's happening?
I was just thinking that I hadn't really gone nuts buying pens this year. This is classic PAD behaviour and I recognize this sort of craziness by now. The mind hides the true dimensions of the disease. You can only imagine the last few. Eight pens! They all write nicely though. And some were bargains that are time-limited so..... Yes, Rusty, and every pipe is unique and needs a home. Ahhhhh!
I want to, but my wife is going through some job changes and our budget is very tight right now, so I’m saving that pleasure for the future for the time being and exercising a bit of restraint.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:46 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Yeah. I have all of the demonstrators (so none of the Classic model) in every size and some models in multiple colours. I love them. If I could buy stock in that company I would. No regrets at all. I was sold when my first ECO arrived. I was shocked at the quality and a piston filler too for under $30! Wow. And it's really Engineering dECO. It all works. You can take it all apart for cleaning. They include a cute wrench and silicon grease with every pen. These folks ARE Engineers. Try finding that with any other Piston filler. I went on to buy all the rest of them one at a time... and then in multiple colours too. There are worse acquisition diseases. All the nibs are steel (Jowo, I think, so they don't make nibs). They're not flex nibs. But they're standard #5's and #6's and 3rd parties do make replacements, even in 14K gold and more flexible nibs. But the pens all write very well as-is out of box. TWSBI is trying to start a revolution with their pricing. Vive La Revolution!

Their Instagram site is fun to watch because all the new models are announced there plus they post a lot of TWSBI fan art that is fun to look at.

https://www.instagram.com/twsbi/?hl=en
I don't see any twsbi pens for less than $50. I must be looking at the wrong pens.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23