An OFG's ulterior motive for opening milady's car door...

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

An OFG's ulterior motive for opening milady's car door...

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 am

Plenty of crime to go around in my little part of the world, so I thought I'd share this observation with you guys.

Good old fashion manners provide both time and vision to assess a situation, which in turn falls into the habit of situational awareness which in turn is valuable when it comes to avoiding being a victim of a crime.
Getting out and walking around the car to open the other door allows for time to look for anything going on that seems out of place (potentially threatening) and from a different, often more advantageous perspective than from inside the vehicle as you'll be able to better see around other closely parked cars or structures like the columns in a parking structure, plus you'll be in a less compromising posture to respond if necessary.

Of course the most difficult thing these days is to keep your companion from opening her door before you can get there to open it for her.

serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas

Re: An OFG's ulterior motive for opening milady's car door...

Post by serapion » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 am

Of course the most difficult thing these days is to keep your companion from opening her door before you can get there to open it for her.
This.
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Hey, welcome back Hov!

You need to add a couple of duties to your list.
1) Discrete Wardrobe Malfunction Detection - That's you. Most of the really revealing ones happen on egress from vehicles. Detect, Block, and Remedy.... discretely. You can argue about her dress or make whoopy later.

2) Fast Female Vehicle Egress - Sometimes being belted in isn't enough to survive. Better you drill fast egress with her. You can get it down to a second and a half with practice. With you following her within seconds. Because you don't always have time to go around and open the door.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 am

I've heard the security check as a benefit of opening doors for her in general. When you open the door for her, look through it and make sure everything looks copasetic on the other side before she goes through.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 am
I've heard the security check as a benefit of opening doors for her in general. When you open the door for her, look through it and make sure everything looks copasetic on the other side before she goes through.
The added benefit is that she now has access to the weapon in the glovebox and can help cover you.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:06 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 am
The added benefit is that she now has access to the weapon in the glovebox and can help cover you.
This 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD