Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:47 pm

I am just getting into fountain pens, such an enjoyable writing experience. Anyone else? What pens and inks do you have? Currently I use a Nemosene 0.6 stub with Robert Oster's Fire & Ice ink.
Last edited by JohnnyMcPiperson on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:47 pm

You mean Robert Oster inks. Aussie inks. A teal kind of guy. They're fairly new in the US, and not in Canada yet, so no, I don't have any Oster inks. But they're the latest rage. There are a lot of similarities between pen nuts and pipe nuts.

I have Edison, Pelikan, Pilot, TWSBI, and some other pens. Mostly medium and broad nibs. In inks I have a lot but I use Diamine and Pilot Iroshizuku most. And I mostly prefer browns and dark blues.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 pm

I have a few from assorted makers, both vintage and modern. Really dig old flexible Watermans, for every day I carry either a Pelikan or a Kaweko. Always black or violet ink.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:47 pm
You mean Robert Oster inks. Aussie inks. A teal kind of guy. They're fairly new in the US, and not in Canada yet, so no, I don't have any Oster inks. But they're the latest rage. There are a lot of similarities between pen nuts and pipe nuts.

I have Edison, Pelikan, Pilot, TWSBI, and some other pens. Mostly medium and broad nibs. In inks I have a lot but I use Diamine and Pilot Iroshizuku most. And I mostly prefer browns and dark blues.
Nice, and yes you are correct about the name, That's what happens when you are thinking about too many things. I like blues, greens and greys so far, but I want to try some maroons and browns
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:45 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 pm
I have a few from assorted makers, both vintage and modern. Really dig old flexible Watermans, for every day I carry either a Pelikan or a Kaweko. Always black or violet ink.
Nice, I want to find a nice red and start using one to grade papers sometimes.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:48 pm

No, but I have wanted for some time. And wanted to try making too.

Any recommendations for getting started?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:49 pm

www.gouletpens.com
I really like my nemosene
I spent about $80 to get a pen, a maintenance kit, and some ink samples, first think I've learned is that the paper makes a big difference. My next purchase is going to be some high quality paper and a good notebook.

My handwriting needs some work, but I'm enjoying it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:55 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:48 pm
No, but I have wanted for some time. And wanted to try making too.

Any recommendations for getting started?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
The challenge with making fountain pens is that the feeds and nibs available to small volume wood-turning fountain pen makers are usually problematic and poor quality. If it doesn't have to be a fountain pen then you're better off because modern ballpoints and gel pens are functioning pens. Fountain pens are quite a bit more problematic unless you're using a good feed and nib. And even then they're not perfect.

As to what is available to start using fountain pens? Lowest intro $: Pilot V-series (Canada) or Pilot Varsity (USA) pens (same thing, different names in different markets) are disposable and they come filled with ink and they write very well. I've used them for years. Next step up in price is probably a Pilot MR (Canada) or Pilot Metropolitan (USA) and those are intended to be filled with FP ink of your choice (you can pull the Varsity nib & feed out after it's empty & refill but it's positioned as a disposable). And all the fountain pen maintenance stuff comes home to roost. Next up in price is the TWSBI ECO (same name Canada and USA) and that's really a marvel at it's price point. Or you could buy a Noodler's Ahab (flex nib pen) etc etc. From there it's up to you.

Some well known shops in both the US & Canada that cater to FP fiends are US: Goulet pen Co., Anderson, Pen Boutique etc and in Canada Wonder Pens in TO - all will do online order - plus there are likely Stationary stores local to Winnipeg even though Winnipeg is the.... :oops:

Go check the Goulet link that Johnny provided. They have good pics of all the products. Beware, this is yet another acquisition disease world. Basically FP pens are like pipes and ink is analogous to tobacco. But the good news for you is that babies can go naked for a few years, you can stick them in a drawer for sleeping, and Mom can feed them. Then you can buy pipes & pens. *** That ought to provoke Brigid ***
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Overtime, I've picked up a few writing utensils as part of my EDC for school.

Lamy 2000 (EF Nib, filled with Pilot Iroshizuku Konpeki)
TWSBI Diamond 580AL (EF Nib, filled with Noodler's Heart of Darkness)
Noodler's Charlie (free, with the Noodler's ink noted above)

Added to this I have a Uni Tioga mechanical pencil filled with .5 HB NanoDia leads, Pigma Micron 005 colored pens, and Mnemosyne journals.

I'd like to pick up a brown ink. Any suggestions?

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:58 pm

I like my fountain pens. A Waterman Phileas, Lamy Safari, Parker "21", and a burlwood one made by a local craftsman. I once had a Mount Blanc Diplomat but was selling it to a friend and he was going to pay me later. He didn't. He died of a blood clot at age 37. I didn't think it good form to ask it from his widow. Only use black ink, whatever is the best price at my local Staples.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:15 pm

gravel wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Overtime, I've picked up a few writing utensils as part of my EDC for school.

Lamy 2000 (EF Nib, filled with Pilot Iroshizuku Konpeki)
TWSBI Diamond 580AL (EF Nib, filled with Noodler's Heart of Darkness)
Noodler's Charlie (free, with the Noodler's ink noted above)

Added to this I have a Uni Tioga mechanical pencil filled with .5 HB NanoDia leads, Pigma Micron 005 colored pens, and Mnemosyne journals.

I'd like to pick up a brown ink. Any suggestions?
Lots of suggestions but brown is a very big group, depends where your taste is.
Iroshizuku Tsukushi: a neutral brown, quick drying, nice flow, usual great characteristics of the ink brand, lighter colour than Yama Guri (dark), darker than the gold-brown Ina-Ho
Montblanc Toffee Brown: closer to chocolate, very nice stuff, lots of shading
Diamine Raw Sienna: I love this stuff, medium brown, caramel in finer nibs, more variation in med & broad nibs, sometimes seems to be hovering above the paper - odd.
Noodler's Beaver: Red Brown, nicely behaved avg to longer dry times on this one and Kiowa Pecan
Noodler's Kiowa Pecan, more golden brown again, lot's of shading and variation, somewhat water resistant unlike the rest
Diamine Ancient Copper: Copper-Red Brown, not too far from Beaver, dries faster
Diamine Salamander: Not Brown. Not swamp creature either. It's a very nice Taupe. Easy on the eyes and quite different. Misnamed.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 am

"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:58 am

I'm really liking the few Robert Oster inks I've tried so far, the sheening is super cool.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:08 pm

I picked up a Pilot, using noodles red to grade papers now. I have Shin Kai in the Nemosene currently.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:24 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:08 pm
I picked up a Pilot, using noodles red to grade papers now. I have Shin Kai in the Nemosene currently.

Catelli noodles? How did you get them in the pen? I have this notion that you speared a noodle with the pen.
Nathan Tardif is going to deny you ink if you call it 'noodles'.

I applaud you refraining from using shimmer or sheen ink in your marking pen.
That's a manly "no sheen" blue out of Pilot. Nice inks eh?

I bought Sailor Yama Dori which I thought was a very nice teal ink. Unfortunately when it dries it is horribly afflicted by the 'ruby slippers'. I had no idea that it would do this.

Last edited by Rusty on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:32 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:08 pm

The Noodler's burgundy is quite nice too.

I have gone with some purples-- purple for grading isn't a poor choice.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:49 pm

An acquaintance I sometimes shoot with brought some of his pens the other day, knowing that I liked them. Wow. Everything was enamelled, twenty-five or thirty pens. Maki-e, Urushi, and amazing russinan lacquered pens. Then an assortment of Krones.

It was like looking at a racehorse amount of money in a pen collection. Made my pipe obsession look absolutely normal.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:57 pm

This thread reminds me of my old school daze when I had a calligraphy class. I owned a few fountain pens back then.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:57 pm
This thread reminds me of my old school daze when I had a calligraphy class. I owned a few fountain pens back then.
Calligraphy? Sounds like something for people with soft hands, Jo.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:25 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:17 pm
Jocose wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:57 pm
Calligraphy? Sounds like something for people with soft hands, Jo.
:lol:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.