Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Fountain Pen Sales Are Surging, Despite Flat Luxury Global Sales
Like the mechanical watch, the fountain pen has survived by pulling a neat trick: transforming its obsolescence into an aura of indulgent luxury.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:55 am

I bought a Franklin Covey pen the other week. My prayer journal has never looked so beautiful.
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:25 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:55 am
I bought a Franklin Covey pen the other week. My prayer journal has never looked so beautiful.
Never seen one. We need pics, and details ... nib, ink...

The problem with too many pens, too many inks, is that journals start looking like gay pride parades.
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:06 am

I owned and used several when I was in grade school, late 50s early 60s. There were still a few in a drawer somewhere when I left home, but my mom very likely threw them away, along with the numerous baseball cards. God bless that lady, and I mean it. When she cleaned house she cleaned house. Anyway, the pens seemed to always leak in my shirt pockets, as I remember.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:32 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:25 am
ReverendThom wrote:

The problem with too many pens, too many inks, is that journals start looking like gray pride parades.
Fixed it for ya.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:46 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:32 am
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

The problem with too many pens, too many inks, is that journals start looking like gray pride parades.
Fixed it for ya.
How did you fix it? It looks the same to me.
And you went silent on that Metropolitan... what ink are you using?

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:05 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:46 am
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Fixed it for ya.
I changed gay to gray making reference to the tendency of fountain pen ink to be naturally muted.

So, I have Pilot Namiki black, I have some Noodler's Bad Blue Heron, and some Pilot blue of some sort around here.

I must confess, I was using and carrying fountain pens every day, but I had one leak on a shirt in a meeting and one that leaked while clipped to a cargo pocket...then I entered a month plus of 10-12 hour work days so I started carrying those clicky Pilot Gel pens for protection from leaks and assured performance without the maintenance. They are vibrant and I can take meeting notes much faster with them. It's not uncommon for me to carry a red, a blue, and a black in my breast pocket.

Anyway, I'm eyeing my a Lamy, a Metropolitan, and some Chinese knockoff out of the corner of my eye. They've been sitting on my desk for over six months, I'd guess. You guys are gonna make me spend my lunch hour cleaning and filling them, aren't you?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:05 am
Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:46 am
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Fixed it for ya.
I changed gay to gray making reference to the tendency of fountain pen ink to be naturally muted.

So, I have Pilot Namiki black, I have some Noodler's Bad Blue Heron, and some Pilot blue of some sort around here.

I must confess, I was using and carrying fountain pens every day, but I had one leak on a shirt in a meeting and one that leaked while clipped to a cargo pocket...then I entered a month plus of 10-12 hour work days so I started carrying those clicky Pilot Gel pens for protection from leaks and assured performance without the maintenance. They are vibrant and I can take meeting notes much faster with them. It's not uncommon for me to carry a red, a blue, and a black in my breast pocket.

Anyway, I'm eyeing my a Lamy, a Metropolitan, and some Chinese knockoff out of the corner of my eye. They've been sitting on my desk for over six months, I'd guess. You guys are gonna make me spend my lunch hour cleaning and filling them, aren't you?
Make is such a strong word. Say what you want, my friend, but you have free will in the matter.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:18 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:05 am
This is how fountain pens die. Clean them out before you put them away.

I used a Sheaffer snorkel pen through university. It was a vintage pen then. And for some stupid reason I just stopped using it after graduation. Of course I didn't clean it out. So it has the remains of 40 yo dried ink in it. It's a nice vintage box pen now. It's also missing a part. There is a coil spring that flies if you're not careful taking it apart.
But now I regret not looking after it.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:21 am

Passive aggressive fountain pen proselytizing. Well done.

The prodigal son is returning. My fingers will be stained black and blue by one.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:56 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:21 am

The prodigal son is returning. My fingers will be stained black and blue by one.
LOL! I'm just telling you my sad story. Maybe I should have translated it as "the log in my eye".

To this day I have no explanation for why I stopped using the Snorkel pen. It was working and writing just fine. I should start looking for places that can repair and refurb my pen. The mechanical pencil in the set still works fine and I still have the case.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:00 am

Cleon wrote:

Not from me. I have no cases, have been up since 5.00, and am chock full of coffee.

I like Lamys a lot. Most of my actual writing is done with a cheap little Kaweko. Good nib.

Rusty, you break my heart. I always wanted a snorkel. Hear they're fiendishly difficult to repair.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:00 am
Cleon wrote:

Not from me. I have no cases, have been up since 5.00, and am chock full of coffee.

I like Lamys a lot. Most of my actual writing is done with a cheap little Kaweko. Good nib.

Rusty, you break my heart. I always wanted a snorkel. Hear they're fiendishly difficult to repair.
There are certainly Sheaffer Snorkel Pens out there. Vendors at Pen shows will have them. Sheaffer made those for quite a long time. The similarities with pipes are really striking. There is a very active vintage pen market.

I've avoided even looking for a repair place so far. That's guilt and procrastination in operation. But the pen forums likely have some some recs. I hope it can be repaired.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 am
hugodrax wrote:
Cleon wrote:

There are certainly Sheaffer Snorkel Pens out there. Vendors at Pen shows will have them. Sheaffer made those for quite a long time. The similarities with pipes are really striking. There is a very active vintage pen market.

I've avoided even looking for a repair place so far. That's guilt and procrastination in operation. But the pen forums likely have some some recs. I hope it can be repaired.
Oh yes, they're out there and can be repaired. I'm just too cheap to buy one.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:42 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 am
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Cleon wrote:

My disabled Sheaffer Snorkel pen also helps me to resist buying a Pilot Custom 823. If I get it fixed that may start me down the vintage pen path. It also stopped me from buying a nice Sailor pen with the 21k nibs etc. LOL! Little road blocks that keep us sane.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:54 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:42 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Cleon wrote:

My disabled Sheaffer Snorkel pen also helps me to resist buying a Pilot Custom 823. If I get it fixed that may start me down the vintage pen path. It also stopped me from buying a nice Sailor pen with the 21k nibs etc. LOL! Little road blocks that keep us sane.
Indeed. Do you know any good nib men? I would like to get an old Pelikan repaired.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:18 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:54 am
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Indeed. Do you know any good nib men? I would like to get an old Pelikan repaired.
I'm sure there are such. I haven't used any. But all one has to do is search for nibmeisters and there are all sorts of blog and articles about them. Many of them show up at pen shows and provide services on the spot which is probably the ultimate because you're there and can try it as they're working on your nib. Myself I haven't used any. It just hasn't come up yet. Aside from my poor snorkel pen all of my pens write just fine right out of the box. I'm astonished at the quality of steel nibs these days. I prefer medium and broad nibs so maybe it's easier with those as well. I see folks complaining about skips, hard starts, and flow (eg dry pens), with some brands, and it just has not been my experience. But then there are other custom grinds that some pursue as well.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:36 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:18 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Cleon wrote:

I'm sure there are such. I haven't used any. But all one has to do is search for nibmeisters and there are all sorts of blog and articles about them. Many of them show up at pen shows and provide services on the spot which is probably the ultimate because you're there and can try it as they're working on your nib. Myself I haven't used any. It just hasn't come up yet. Aside from my poor snorkel pen all of my pens write just fine right out of the box. I'm astonished at the quality of steel nibs these days. I prefer medium and broad nibs so maybe it's easier with those as well. I see folks complaining about skips, hard starts, and flow (eg dry pens), with some brands, and it just has not been my experience. But then there are other custom grinds that some pursue as well.
Don't need a custom grind. Need a realignment. The baby borked it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:30 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:36 am
Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:18 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Don't need a custom grind. Need a realignment. The baby borked it.
It looks like the 2017 Philly pen show occurred in January. But there are others nearby eg the Baltimore show in March. So find out who the nib folks are that are planning to attend the March Baltimore show. You're liable to end up with more pens too.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I recently ordered Pilot Plumix and CON-50 converters. I put the Plumix nib in my 78g with the CON-50. I'm happier.

It's a fine italic nib but is marked <M> for medium.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning