Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am

coco wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 am
Rusty wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:36 am
coco wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:03 pm
A new ink for grading?
Unbelievable. That's a water soluble dye-based ink. Quick trip to the washroom or water fountain and you can wash that bloody grade away. If the student even runs through a rain storm with her work that mark is in danger. There may be no evidence after. It's not just the sneaky under performers that are a problem. Your better students will return to you complaining that the grade they wanted to show Mom is gone with the wind (and the rain). I think you're too attached to the dramatic.

One might imagine that the science teacher does a little research first? Grades and marks on paper are serious biz, Jack.
Plus why some inks are waterproof vs. others that can be washed away is a good science discussion.

Here.... a Jet pen guide to water proof fountain pen inks.
Any student with a pinkish blur where a grade should be gets sent to the principal's office, where they will probably get expelled. He got me into fountain pens, and understands ink properties.

I appreciate Nathan Tardis, but his focus on permanency seems to have invoked a lot of worry about unlikely problems.

FWW, I nonetheless sign checks with Heart of Darkness.
I didn't say Noodler's. I just advocated research. I didn't even say it couldn't be red ink. What problems are you alluding to so mysteriously? Nathan has a lot more than just bulletproof inks. Jetpen also has a very nice guide to Noodler's inks. But there are other brands that also offer permanent inks.

I didn't think anyone used Cheques anymore. Who even accepts them? Note the spelling. Checks... sheesh. Checks are marks you write on a student paper when they did it well. We use wands with full wifi i/f to transfer money... "The wand chooses the wizard, the wizard chooses the amount and the destination". It's a bit like GR.

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/fountain-pen-inks/ct/71 -- Check it out! (see that spelling?)

Nathan provided a really nice permanent ink to a Canadian shop as an exclusive. Blue Upon The Plains of Abraham.
We are pleased.

https://blog.wonderpens.ca/american-can ... f-abraham/

All summer long I've had Noodler's Burma Road Brown in one of my Edison's. Really nice well behaved ink. I really like it but it's not bulletproof. This is one of his historical inks. He recreated WWII Victory Mail inks. This is cool. Very nice.

Hey! Goulet Pens is moving. They're big enough now that it hits the news. Holy smokes are they big! Is there a bigger US pen seller?

Fountain Pen Peddler Spills into New HQ

Aurora has brought back their 1950's Aurora Duo cart pen. It looks very 50's. Comes only with a medium nib which is fine for me. Apparently it's a very nice writer. It resembles the Parker 51 too, so it has a hooded nib. But it takes a proprietary cartridge converter (some have reported that it's compatible with the Parker converter). Nice packaging too. Apparently they're using original pen cases from the 50's which they still had. I just bought one! But it hasn't arrived yet. The prices in Canada are better than the US prices. Making Italy great for the first time since the Romans.

Goulet - Aurora link https://www.gouletpens.com/aurora-duo-cart/c/666
"We're taking orders via Twitter now?" .... At the Pentagon

Oh Hillary... You abandon us to this?

Andrei Sakharov & Edward Teller - Evidence that they actually met

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am
coco wrote:
Rusty wrote:
coco wrote:
A new ink for grading?
Unbelievable. That's a water soluble dye-based ink. Quick trip to the washroom or water fountain and you can wash that bloody grade away. If the student even runs through a rain storm with her work that mark is in danger. There may be no evidence after. It's not just the sneaky under performers that are a problem. Your better students will return to you complaining that the grade they wanted to show Mom is gone with the wind (and the rain). I think you're too attached to the dramatic.

One might imagine that the science teacher does a little research first? Grades and marks on paper are serious biz, Jack.
Plus why some inks are waterproof vs. others that can be washed away is a good science discussion.

Any student with a pinkish blur where a grade should be gets sent to the principal's office, where they will probably get expelled. He got me into fountain pens, and understands ink properties.

I appreciate Nathan Tardis, but his focus on permanency seems to have invoked a lot of worry about unlikely problems.

I didn't say Noodler's. I just advocated research. I didn't even say it couldn't be red ink. What problems are you alluding to so mysteriously? Nathan has a lot more than just bulletproof inks. Jetpen also has a very nice guide to Noodler's inks. But there are other brands that also offer permanent inks.

I didn't think anyone used Cheques anymore. Who even accepts them? Note the spelling. Checks... sheesh. Checks are marks you write on a student paper when they did it well. We use wands with full wifi i/f to transfer money... "The wand chooses the wizard, the wizard chooses the amount and the destination". It's a bit like GR.

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/fountain-pen-inks/ct/71 -- Check it out! (see that spelling?)

Nathan provided a really nice permanent ink to a Canadian shop as an exclusive. Blue Upon The Plains of Abraham.
We are pleased.

All summer long I've had Noodler's Burma Road Brown in one of my Edison's. Really nice well behaved ink. I really like it but it's not bulletproof. This is one of his historical inks. He recreated WWII Victory Mail inks. This is cool. Very nice.

Hey! Goulet Pens is moving. They're big enough now that it hits the news. Holy smokes are they big! Is there a bigger US pen seller?

Aurora has brought back their 1950's Aurora Duo cart pen. It looks very 50's. Comes only with a medium nib which is fine for me. Apparently it's a very nice writer. It resembles the Parker 51 too, so it has a hooded nib. But it takes a proprietary cartridge converter (some have reported that it's compatible with the Parker converter). Nice packaging too. Apparently they're using original pen cases from the 50's which they still had. I just bought one! But it hasn't arrived yet. The prices in Canada are better than the US prices. Making Italy great for the first time since the Romans.

Prior to my recent fascination with fountain pens, I didn't write much of anything more than a check/que, and that was only once every few months. I have a debit card, so why bother? Notes were taken on my phone, often using voice. Now I find myself coming up with any reason whatsoever to use a pen. Between the pipe, the fountain pen, and tweed; I am practically a hipster. :lol:

I have heard good stuff about Blue on the Plains of Abraham. It is one that I want to try some day. I am fond of blue-blacks, particularly the sort that don't look anything like typical ballpoint or gel inks. Bright inks are fun in a way, but they get old after staring at several full sheets of writing for a while. I officially have I.A.D. to go with my T.A.D. and P.A.D. and....

I like Goulet. I have no complaints with my order, and I like that they sell samples. They seem to be trying to do business with integrity. They really haven't been around that long, but their growth has been tremendous.

I like the Duo Cart, which does indeed look 1950's. Post pictures when you get yours in. I would love to have an 88. Maybe like this:

Incidentally, I tried an experiment. I put a "67" on a piece of paper with the Red Dragon, and washed it for about 30 seconds under the faucet. That didn't work well, so I soaked it for an hour and a half. The "67" was still legible, but almost gone. I am convinced that one could remove a mark entirely by soaking longer. Pressing the paper as it dried would prevent any telltale wrinkles.

Realistically, I will probably grade with a different color every week.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:48 pm
coco wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:45 pm
coco wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:40 am
Rusty wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:59 pm
coco wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 pm
This is a thing. And it's scented.
So is this...

They have something for everyone. Cannabis, Myrrh, cedar, Vermont Castings woodstove in operation. These Germans are clever.

[img]https://www.de-atr
amentis.com/images/product_images/info_images/2253_11.gif[/img]

Ya, clever. Now you vill comply.
I vill comply vith ze tobacco. Zey can keep zeir vacky veed.
I have a sample of De Atramentis Tobacco. It does NOT smell like tobacco... unless we are going to count Mixture 79. :barf1:
Well at least it's not grandma's perfume. :lol:

Zey can keep zeir tobacco too?
It does smell a lot like grandma perfume. Perhaps they were going for a Lakeland tobacco and forgot the tobacco part? I should bless JudgeRusty with the rest of my sample since he blessed me with that Scotch Flake.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:02 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 am
Rusty wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am
coco wrote:
Rusty wrote:
coco wrote:
A new ink for grading?

We are pleased.

Prior to my recent fascination with fountain pens, I didn't write much of anything more than a check/que, and that was only once every few months. I have a debit card, so why bother? Notes were taken on my phone, often using voice. Now I find myself coming up with any reason whatsoever to use a pen. Between the pipe, the fountain pen, and tweed; I am practically a hipster. :lol:
I always thought that was analogue. So analogue is hipster? Perhaps being digital and going back to analogue is hipster. I was analogue at birth and it tends to stick.
coco wrote:
I have heard good stuff about Blue on the Plains of Abraham. It is one that I want to try some day. I am fond of blue-blacks, particularly the sort that don't look anything like typical ballpoint or gel inks. Bright inks are fun in a way, but they get old after staring at several full sheets of writing for a while. I officially have I.A.D. to go with my T.A.D. and P.A.D. and....
VittaR obviously wasn't told what the British taxes that provoked American rebellion were intended to pay for. She somehow thinks it's a Canadian problem. :D The Quebec City battle on the plains is part of the French-Indian wars. The Brits chased the French out of N. America. The bill was due. And the Americans realized that they didn't need the British anymore since the French were gone and ever since have had a problem with any taxation. Of course both turned it into a colossal loss by having a war.

It is a nice ink. It is a dark blue that tilts slightly toward purple which is very nice. Elegant colour. Wonder Pens will ship to all and sundry; they special handle foreign orders. Even for India, from the comments on the Vid page. Noodler's does exclusive inks for many stores it seems. Goulet has an exclusive Noodler's ink too. It's Goulet blue but called Liberty's Elysium.

Yeah, it hurts the eyes & provokes headaches to read a whole page written in Apache Sunset et al. But most only write "The quick brown fox....". That's not so bad. :wink:
coco wrote:
I like Goulet. I have no complaints with my order, and I like that they sell samples. They seem to be trying to do business with integrity. They really haven't been around that long, but their growth has been tremendous.
They're very customer-sat focused and they've grown from garage to monster since 2009. That's a big accomplishment. Their original website is an interesting thing to see (wayback machine). They were selling Brian's custom-turned pens and some other stuff. It was a bit diffuse. They weren't quite sure what they wanted to be. They have changed a lot. They certainly recognized opportunities too. Edison Pen came up about the same time and it was a fit. I think Goulet talked Edison into the production pens and seasonal special pens. I suspect Rachel Goulet is the sharp creative biz mind. Brian is marketing, the product man, and the face of the company. They're interesting to watch. They do extremely well together. There are some fascinating vids along the way. There is one that explains to customers why their website froze under massive load when they announced Noodler's pens and they put them up. They look a bit shell-shocked. I'm sure they also saw the potential. It's a desirable high-grade problem. People are beating the website into the dirt to buy our products.
coco wrote:
I like the Duo Cart, which does indeed look 1950's. Post pictures when you get yours in. I would love to have an 88. Maybe like this:

Incidentally, I tried an experiment. I put a "67" on a piece of paper with the Red Dragon, and washed it for about 30 seconds under the faucet. That didn't work well, so I soaked it for an hour and a half. The "67" was still legible, but almost gone. I am convinced that one could remove a mark entirely by soaking longer. Pressing the paper as it dried would prevent any telltale wrinkles.

Realistically, I will probably grade with a different color every week.
That 88 is quite the creamsicle. $$$ !!!

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 am

My wife and her aunt were cleaning out Grandpa's desk drawers and came across a couple of pens and a bunch of nibs.

I have two that I'm thinking of having refurbished. One is an old Esterbrook with a fine nib. I'm guessing it is from the mid '60s. My research tells me that it was a run of the mill, everyday writer. Not too collectible, and nothing groundbreaking about the design.

The other is an old Parker Vacumatic. I'm guessing it is from the early '40s. This is a nice pen and fairly collectible from what I gather. It was Parker's top of the line at the time it was introduced and had some new filler technology in it.

Do any of you have experience with these pens? Have any of you sent pens off to be refurbished?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:24 pm

The Parker looks to be a double jeweled vacumatic. That is a decently high demand pen. I would seek outside help on restoration if the fill mechanism isn't working.

It is double jeweled because there is one the end of the cap and one on the end of the pen.

See this page as an example for descriptions:
http://pentooling.com/parkervacumatic.html

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 am
My wife and her aunt were cleaning out Grandpa's desk drawers and came across a couple of pens and a bunch of nibs.

I have two that I'm thinking of having refurbished. One is an old Esterbrook with a fine nib. I'm guessing it is from the mid '60s. My research tells me that it was a run of the mill, everyday writer. Not too collectible, and nothing groundbreaking about the design.

The other is an old Parker Vacumatic. I'm guessing it is from the early '40s. This is a nice pen and fairly collectible from what I gather. It was Parker's top of the line at the time it was introduced and had some new filler technology in it.

Do any of you have experience with these pens? Have any of you sent pens off to be refurbished?
Nice stripey bits on the Parker case! :D Laminated celluloid. Oooh.
Why is there a hole in the side of the cap? It isn't just this one. Others feature the hole too.
No, never sent a pen for refurb. I'm procrastinating that step. Nope, no experience with the Vacumatic.
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:56 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:24 pm
The Parker looks to be a double jeweled vacumatic. That is a decently high demand pen. I would seek outside help on restoration if the fill mechanism isn't working.

It is double jeweled because there is one the end of the cap and one on the end of the pen.

See this page as an example for descriptions:
http://pentooling.com/parkervacumatic.html

G.
Thank you. Have you used someone to repair and refurbish pens? I could probably do it myself with a little reading. The filler mechanism is still springy. I suppose I could just give it a bath and polish it up and see if it works. I haven't done anything other than unscrew the cap and press the filler mechanism.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:41 pm
Cleon wrote:

Why is there a hole in the side of the cap? It isn't just this one. Others feature the hole too.
There are two holes in the cap on opposite sides of the cap. What are those? I don't know.

Also, I'll clean the pen up with some acetone. Just kidding!

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:57 pm
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:

There are two holes in the cap on opposite sides of the cap. What are those? I don't know.

Is the cap sealed... so if you blow in it does air come out the holes?

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 pm
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Yep. Air comes out the holes.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:50 pm
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:

So the nib dries out overnight - unless there is a nib insert inside the cap that seals. One hopes. What functional purpose could holes in the cap have? Drying out nibs overnight would irritate me and the pen would end up in a drawer unused. Do you think they intended this? Scotch tape seals the holes. :cry: With every new pen this is one of the first things I check - that the cap is sealed.

Edit: Ah ha! purpose: ".... breather holes allow air to enter quickly when the cap is removed; this prevents creation of a partial vacuum that would draw ink out of the pen into the interior of the cap." It must be a tight snap cap. Apparently fairly common with vintage snap cap pens. Threaded caps don't seem to need holes nor do they appear to draw ink into the cap. So I'm curious whether the nibs dry out quickly or what they do to alleviate that.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:

So the nib dries out overnight - unless there is a nib insert inside the cap that seals. One hopes. What functional purpose could holes in the cap have? Drying out nibs overnight would irritate me and the pen would end up in a drawer unused. Do you think they intended this? Scotch tape seals the holes. :cry: With every new pen this is one of the first things I check - that the cap is sealed.

Edit: Ah ha! purpose: ".... breather holes allow air to enter quickly when the cap is removed; this prevents creation of a partial vacuum that would draw ink out of the pen into the interior of the cap." It must be a tight snap cap. Apparently fairly common with vintage snap cap pens. Threaded caps don't seem to need holes nor do they appear to draw ink into the cap. So I'm curious whether the nibs dry out quickly or what they do to alleviate that.
Actually, the cap is threaded. It snaps on loosely then screws on. The holes are what I would call fairly large. Even the Esterbrook has one hole in the lid. I read this was fairly common to equalize pressure because old feeds weren't as good.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 pm
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Actually, the cap is threaded. It snaps on loosely then screws on. The holes are what I would call fairly large. Even the Esterbrook has one hole in the lid. I read this was fairly common to equalize pressure because old feeds weren't as good.
But if the nib is open to the air (ie the cap is vented) and nothing seals the nib then it will dry. Ink flow stops. Ink is mostly solvent and it's water. The dyes and the rest is dissolved in the water. If the solvent evaporates then it doesn't flow anymore.
Is there a nib sheathing or insert inside the cap for the nib?
I have one or maybe two pens with caps that are not sealed and the nibs dry out within 24 hours. Every time. So I'm curious what they did to prevent this.

I'll have to have a look at feed technology. I think FP's reached a peak by the early 50's and they progressed no more because they were obsolete with ballpoints taking over. I'll have to look into it. It's an interesting mystery.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 am

Just picked up some wet erase ink from noodlers which came with a free preppy marker, going to try it in the classroom. And I also grabbed a regular preppy medium to try for marking papers and a bottle of Fire and Ice, because it's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:13 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 am
Just picked up some wet erase ink from noodlers which came with a free preppy marker, going to try it in the classroom. And I also grabbed a regular preppy medium to try for marking papers and a bottle of Fire and Ice, because it's awesome.

I have been considering doing the same. Please let us know how you like the weterase.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 am

coco wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 am

I have been considering doing the same. Please let us know how you like the weterase.
Will do, my hope is to use it for the agenda board and that students won't be able to erase it so easily with their fingers.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:22 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:23 pm
Cleon wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 pm
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:

But if the nib is open to the air (ie the cap is vented) and nothing seals the nib then it will dry. Ink flow stops. Ink is mostly solvent and it's water. The dyes and the rest is dissolved in the water. If the solvent evaporates then it doesn't flow anymore.
Is there a nib sheathing or insert inside the cap for the nib?
I have one or maybe two pens with caps that are not sealed and the nibs dry out within 24 hours. Every time. So I'm curious what they did to prevent this.

I'll have to have a look at feed technology. I think FP's reached a peak by the early 50's and they progressed no more because they were obsolete with ballpoints taking over. I'll have to look into it. It's an interesting mystery.
I found this on The Fountain Pen Network:
They were meant to balance the air pressure inside the cap with the air pressure surrounding the sac. Plugging them is not a good idea.
When the cap is screwed on, the holes do not expose the nib to air. It won't dry out with the cap in place. It's only when you unscrew the cap slightly that the air gets to the nib and equalizes the pressure.
Some suggest that the holes are not necessary when the feed is designed properly.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Even the pen caps from over a hundred years ago have the air holes (Waterman cap):

Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning