Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:55 pm
I recently ordered Pilot Plumix and CON-50 converters. I put the Plumix nib in my 78g with the CON-50. I'm happier.

It's a fine italic nib but is marked <M> for medium.
Apparently they discontinued the 78g.
"We're taking orders via Twitter now?" .... At the Pentagon

Oh Hillary... You abandon us to this?

Andrei Sakharov & Edward Teller - Evidence that they actually met

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:30 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:36 am
Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:18 am
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:54 am
Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:42 am
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 am
Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 am
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:00 am
Cleon wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:21 am
Passive aggressive fountain pen proselytizing. Well done.

The prodigal son is returning. My fingers will be stained black and blue by one.
Not from me. I have no cases, have been up since 5.00, and am chock full of coffee.

I like Lamys a lot. Most of my actual writing is done with a cheap little Kaweko. Good nib.

Rusty, you break my heart. I always wanted a snorkel. Hear they're fiendishly difficult to repair.
There are certainly Sheaffer Snorkel Pens out there. Vendors at Pen shows will have them. Sheaffer made those for quite a long time. The similarities with pipes are really striking. There is a very active vintage pen market.

I've avoided even looking for a repair place so far. That's guilt and procrastination in operation. But the pen forums likely have some some recs. I hope it can be repaired.
Oh yes, they're out there and can be repaired. I'm just too cheap to buy one.
My disabled Sheaffer Snorkel pen also helps me to resist buying a Pilot Custom 823. If I get it fixed that may start me down the vintage pen path. It also stopped me from buying a nice Sailor pen with the 21k nibs etc. LOL! Little road blocks that keep us sane.
Indeed. Do you know any good nib men? I would like to get an old Pelikan repaired.
I'm sure there are such. I haven't used any. But all one has to do is search for nibmeisters and there are all sorts of blog and articles about them. Many of them show up at pen shows and provide services on the spot which is probably the ultimate because you're there and can try it as they're working on your nib. Myself I haven't used any. It just hasn't come up yet. Aside from my poor snorkel pen all of my pens write just fine right out of the box. I'm astonished at the quality of steel nibs these days. I prefer medium and broad nibs so maybe it's easier with those as well. I see folks complaining about skips, hard starts, and flow (eg dry pens), with some brands, and it just has not been my experience. But then there are other custom grinds that some pursue as well.
Don't need a custom grind. Need a realignment. The baby borked it.
It looks like the 2017 Philly pen show occurred in January. But there are others nearby eg the Baltimore show in March. So find out who the nib folks are that are planning to attend the March Baltimore show. You're liable to end up with more pens too.
And a five hour drive and hotel and meals. Not necessary, but thanks for the legwork.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm
gaining_age wrote:
I recently ordered Pilot Plumix and CON-50 converters. I put the Plumix nib in my 78g with the CON-50. I'm happier.

I put the medium italic plumix nib in my metropolitan. Yeah, I like it that way.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:25 am
ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:55 am
I bought a Franklin Covey pen the other week. My prayer journal has never looked so beautiful.
Never seen one. We need pics, and details ... nib, ink...

The problem with too many pens, too many inks, is that journals start looking like gay pride parades.
It was this one. Figured I'd get a cheap one and see if I like it first. I like very much :)

http://www.staples.ca/en/Cross-Franklin ... CA_1_20001
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:38 pm
Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm
gaining_age wrote:

I put the medium italic plumix nib in my metropolitan. Yeah, I like it that way.

That's my next move to consider. I have a couple of the metropolitans.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:05 pm
Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:25 am
ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:55 am
I bought a Franklin Covey pen the other week. My prayer journal has never looked so beautiful.
Never seen one. We need pics, and details ... nib, ink...

The problem with too many pens, too many inks, is that journals start looking like gay pride parades.
It was this one. Figured I'd get a cheap one and see if I like it first. I like very much :)

http://www.staples.ca/en/Cross-Franklin ... CA_1_20001
Interesting. As long as it works for you it's great.
Staples claims it's not refillable. But it is.

This is another low cost alternative... that is really worthwhile.
https://www.amazon.ca/Pilot-Disposable- ... B00OPQW2CE

I still use the Varsity or V pen quite often. I have a bunch of them always. I think it's a better nib than the nib on the Pilot MR too.

The Platinum Preppy (which you may see in the "other customers also bought" on the amazon page) is also a good low cost reliable fountain pen. It's refillable. Even the Pilot V can be refilled but they're not positioned as refillable pens.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:35 pm

I used to love the vector from parker. Bullet proof and cheap.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:35 pm
I've never tried them. But note that it's not getting the same consistently good reviews as the Pilot V (Varsity) pen.
https://www.amazon.ca/Parker-Vector-Fou ... B002FMQ8V6

This is not unusual. FP's, esp. low cost models, are sometimes problematic and finicky. Others find that theirs works fine. And the reviews are polarized too.The V pen is getting better reviews. I love the review that compares the $4 V-pen with a $40 lamy, and suggests you buy the $40 lamy. LOL!

The v-pen is like the BIC lighter of the FP world. Always works, right out of the package and until runs out of ink.
I love my fountain pens and they work very well but I still love the V-pen and I think it has a place in any FP collection.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:16 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:22 pm
hugodrax wrote:
I've never tried them. But note that it's not getting the same consistently good reviews as the Pilot V (Varsity) pen.

This is not unusual. FP's, esp. low cost models, are sometimes problematic and finicky. Others find that theirs works fine. And the reviews are polarized too.The V pen is getting better reviews. I love the review that compares the $4 V-pen with a $40 lamy, and suggests you buy the $40 lamy. LOL!

The v-pen is like the BIC lighter of the FP world. Always works, right out of the package and until runs out of ink.
I love my fountain pens and they work very well but I still love the V-pen and I think it has a place in any FP collection.

You ever tried the Plumix, Rusty? You seem like you don't mind the low end pens. The nib and feed are great but the pen is ugly as all get out. They sort of remind me of the old Bic disposable pens. That's why I put the Plumix nib in the Metropolitan body. The italic medium nib makes everything you write look good, even when you're wrong. :lol:

I should just buy another Plumix and some refills for carry and daily use and be done with it and not worry about the cheap look of the pen. They have a screw on cap, which is great for carry. No clip though, which is a minus. No biggie if it gets lost or broken.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Cleon wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:16 am
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

You ever tried the Plumix, Rusty? You seem like you don't mind the low end pens. The nib and feed are great but the pen is ugly as all get out. They sort of remind me of the old Bic disposable pens. That's why I put the Plumix nib in the Metropolitan body. The italic medium nib makes everything you write look good, even when you're wrong. :lol:

I should just buy another Plumix and some refills for carry and daily use and be done with it and not worry about the cheap look of the pen. They have a screw on cap, which is great for carry. No clip though, which is a minus. No biggie if it gets lost or broken.
I've never tried it. But I like Pilot pens. I really like them. I love their gold nibs and I like the Varsity nib. The problem for me with the Plumix is that I think it wouldn't get used. But I might be wrong. I'm not all that interested in stub nibs unless it's the Pilot Parallel which looks just about extreme enough to really attract my interest. That might develop into something. I'm right now deeply into "paint rollers" ie various single double, triple broad nibs. Or perhaps a Music nib, which is way out of the Plumix price point. Plus the Plumix bears an uncanny resemblance to the water powered rockets of my youth. I have trouble with that vision together with ink in it. Then there is the Con-50 converter which annoys me with its tiny volume. I have a Falcon with a Con-50 and that thing needs to go on an ink diet. Any pen that really spits out ink should have a respectable Con-70, be eyedropper fillable, or have a piston filler. It's the same size nib in the Metropolitan, so I understand your swap, but I'd rather have a broad nib to tell the truth and that is not something they have in that line. The Pilot Varsity nib is even a little wider than the Metropolitan Medium nib and shock of shocks it's smoother writing too and for just $4. Holds more ink too.

I also have this TWSBI obsession that I'm nursing. If I could invest in that company I would. I highly recommend the TWSBIs. They offer much more than most of the other pen makers at much lower price points. Plus they have a style of their own (aside from the Classic) that I've called "Engineering Deco". I would consider adding stub nibs to those, if I develop an interest in stub italic nibs. Cheap isn't enough. That's usually problematic with fountain pens. It's got have more going for it. If you can spare the scratch go buy yourself an Edison. That's another obsession that is worthwhile.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 pm
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I've never tried it. But I like Pilot pens. I really like them. I love their gold nibs and I like the Varsity nib. The problem for me with the Plumix is that I think it wouldn't get used. But I might be wrong. I'm not all that interested in stub nibs unless it's the Pilot Parallel which looks just about extreme enough to really attract my interest. That might develop into something. I'm right now deeply into "paint rollers" ie various single double, triple broad nibs. Or perhaps a Music nib, which is way out of the Plumix price point. Plus the Plumix bears an uncanny resemblance to the water powered rockets of my youth. I have trouble with that vision together with ink in it. Then there is the Con-50 converter which annoys me with its tiny volume. I have a Falcon with a Con-50 and that thing needs to go on an ink diet. Any pen that really spits out ink should have a respectable Con-70, be eyedropper fillable, or have a piston filler. It's the same size nib in the Metropolitan, so I understand your swap, but I'd rather have a broad nib to tell the truth and that is not something they have in that line. The Pilot Varsity nib is even a little wider than the Metropolitan Medium nib and shock of shocks it's smoother writing too and for just $4. Holds more ink too.

I also have this TWSBI obsession that I'm nursing. If I could invest in that company I would. I highly recommend the TWSBIs. They offer much more than most of the other pen makers at much lower price points. Plus they have a style of their own (aside from the Classic) that I've called "Engineering Deco". I would consider adding stub nibs to those, if I develop an interest in stub italic nibs. Cheap isn't enough. That's usually problematic with fountain pens. It's got have more going for it. If you can spare the scratch go buy yourself an Edison. That's another obsession that is worthwhile.
So you like fat, wet lines, huh?

Never heard of a music nib. So, a little googling and I find it's a nib that's cut in two places and meant to lay down a lot of ink. Cool.

I'll have to look at some TWSBI pens. Never heard of them either. I can't justify even looking at an Edison.

Yes, I will agree that the Plumix looks like a water rocket. That was one of the first things I thought of when I saw it too. Still, for under $10 with a refill included, I think you should get one. It cracks me up that the packaging says "real fountain pen" on it...like the consumer needs the reassurance. :lol:

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Rusty, Noodler's Ink folks have a music nib fountain pen. I pondered that one for a little bit but realized I don't like putting down a lot of ink. The price isn't crazy outrageous at ~$75 https://www.gouletpens.com/noodlers-nep ... pens/c/320

I saw that Edison has a Richard Bender nib and that has my attention. I would have to wait a while on that.

Right now I'm considering my Waterman's 52 nib (extra fine to moderate flex 14k ideal #2) being put into a modern body. That's pricey too, I'm finding.

Rusty, I have a 78g broad nib that I haven't really gotten into using. I also have a broad italic on an eyedropper. I haven't used that much either. I prefer going with finer tips that can have some character on my notebooks/journals. For general writing the fine italic nib is pleasant but I have to write a little slower so it doesn't catch.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:41 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 pm
Rusty, Noodler's Ink folks have a music nib fountain pen. I pondered that one for a little bit but realized I don't like putting down a lot of ink. The price isn't crazy outrageous at ~$75 https://www.gouletpens.com/noodlers-nep ... pens/c/320
Yes, Noodler's Neponset and it's a huge pen.
gaining_age wrote:I saw that Edison has a Richard Bender nib and that has my attention. I would have to wait a while on that.
This is the Edison Signature line and with gold nib and custom treatment that's pretty serious $.
All the Edison pens are very nice. With just the Jowo steel nibs on them they are lovely writers, right out of the box. The production line Edisons are also available with gold nibs. I suppose it all depends what you're looking for and what you're prepared to pay. I really enjoy my Edisons. I have no regrets at all.
gaining_age wrote:Right now I'm considering my Waterman's 52 nib (extra fine to moderate flex 14k ideal #2) being put into a modern body. That's pricey too, I'm finding.
Pipes are pricey too. It depends upon what we're looking for and what we're prepared to pay. I considered $150 and lower as entry level pipes. And one can do well for that amount but there are certainly pipe brands that one can't have for that. For $150 one can do quite well with fountain pens too and yet there are brands that are not available at that price.
gaining_age wrote:Rusty, I have a 78g broad nib that I haven't really gotten into using. I also have a broad italic on an eyedropper. I haven't used that much either. I prefer going with finer tips that can have some character on my notebooks/journals. For general writing the fine italic nib is pleasant but I have to write a little slower so it doesn't catch.
I'm much happier with a broader nib and more ink. I have one fine nibbed pen that is very rarely used. So I'm the complement of you. Also not all broad nibs are really broad. The Japanese broad nibs (and even TWSBI in Taiwan) are really more like medium nibs. So I automatically go looking for broad and even double broad with those makers. Whereas Pelikan, Lamy, Edison and other western pen makers really do have real broad nibs. Man, are they delicious. I also have some very nice medium nibs that I enjoy. It isn't all broad nibs.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:46 pm

This is a very interesting thread. I received a very large Waterman with a double broad nib as a high school graduation present. Brass body. Weighs a ton and I never got the hang of it.

I like old stub nibs the besterest.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 pm

The refill that the kid at Staples helped me pick out does not fit my pen :( Too narrow. I've wrapped it with scotch tape to thicken it up. Will I get ink all over?
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:52 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 pm
The refill that the kid at Staples helped me pick out does not fit my pen :( Too narrow. I've wrapped it with scotch tape to thicken it up. Will I get ink all over?
Yup.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:53 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 pm
Possibly. I think that pen also takes an International converter. Check that and then buy a converter and bottled ink. Getting ink on your hands is fun but not the way you're going about it. Sorry.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 am
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Never heard of a music nib. So, a little googling and I find it's a nib that's cut in two places and meant to lay down a lot of ink. Cool.

I'll have to look at some TWSBI pens. Never heard of them either. I can't justify even looking at an Edison.

Yes, I will agree that the Plumix looks like a water rocket. That was one of the first things I thought of when I saw it too. Still, for under $10 with a refill included, I think you should get one. It cracks me up that the packaging says "real fountain pen" on it...like the consumer needs the reassurance. :lol:
If you just passed on a few hats you could afford an Edison. Maybe it's a question of priorities.

Mind you I always enjoy your hat posts.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:15 pm
Cleon wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 am
Rusty wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

If you just passed on a few hats you could afford an Edison. Maybe it's a question of priorities.

Mind you I always enjoy your hat posts.
Yes, yes. I have a bit of an obsession with vintage and custom hats right now. I'm guessing you're no stranger to full brimmed hats since you have a light complexion and you seem fairly aware of your health. I'll be selling a few that don't fit well so my fun money should get a boost. I'm glad you enjoy the hat posts. I'm starting to feel like [crickets]Hovannes[/crickets] over in the hat thread.

I'm not sure I have the knack to care for a fine pen. They're more finicky than a fine pipe or a fine hat. I think that's why I stick to the low end pens. I'll never know unless I try though, right?

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:19 am

The first person to PM me a name and address can have these.

I spent some time going over my pens and inks this weekend. These were the losers. The Lamy is a good starter pen. The Chinese pen,if you can get it to write well, have at it.

Lamy Safari in graphite with Extra Fine nib and converter. Cap is a bit dinged. When people mention a "nail", this is it. I think it's an ugly pen and I don't like the extra fine line.

This Jinhao Chinese made pen with medium gold plated nib and converter. I can't get it to write with my inks without skipping and pressing hard.

No ink in them. They've been lightly cleaned.