Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Jester
Elder
Elder

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by Jester » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:30 am

Tuttle got me a Pilot Metropolitan a few years back for Christmas. I want to be able to write amazing letters with beautiful calligraphy but the truth is I can't do it. Not one of my talents.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 am

Jester wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:30 am
Tuttle got me a Pilot Metropolitan a few years back for Christmas. I want to be able to write amazing letters with beautiful calligraphy but the truth is I can't do it. Not one of my talents.
Wrong pen - wrong nib. It's a denial of God too. If you had gone analog batshit crazy and bought 45 more pens and a half million ink samples you'd know this too.

There is a shortcut. :wink: Around here it's usually referred to as the Cleon-hack. You buy a cheap Plumix and swap the italic stub nib with the metro plain jane nib. Why swap them, when the Plumix can do the same thing? Ask Cleon, he has the theology of Plumix down pat. Then you buy a calligraphy book and you practice. Right? The practice is important because otherwise you're denying your imperfect nature and that's a denial of God etc. When God deigns to notice your feeble efforts and that you persist (that's important) he will likely test you. If you pass then he will pour calligraphy through you and you may well think it's talent. At that point you're in real trouble. You may go forth and become analog batshit crazy in your worship etc etc.
Last edited by Rusty on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:19 am
The first person to PM me a name and address can have these.

I spent some time going over my pens and inks this weekend. These were the losers. The Lamy is a good starter pen. The Chinese pen,if you can get it to write well, have at it.

Lamy Safari in graphite with Extra Fine nib and converter. Cap is a bit dinged. When people mention a "nail", this is it. I think it's an ugly pen and I don't like the extra fine line.

This Jinhao Chinese made pen with medium gold plated nib and converter. I can't get it to write with my inks without skipping and pressing hard.

No ink in them. They've been lightly cleaned.
:cry: The Lamy is a perfectly good pen. And you could fix that silly ink-denying fine line by buying a broad ink-loving god-worshiping nib. What pens do you have that have flex-nibs?

The Jinhao is a good exercise in learning to tune the pen. It probably takes a #6 nib and there are plenty of others out there.
For example... http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/nibs.html

What does lightly cleaned mean? Does that mean you rinsed them off under the tap leaving the befouled nibs as is?

Do you do this with your pipes too?
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am
Cleon wrote:

I spent some time going over my pens and inks this weekend. These were the losers. The Lamy is a good starter pen. The Chinese pen,if you can get it to write well, have at it.

Lamy Safari in graphite with Extra Fine nib and converter. Cap is a bit dinged. When people mention a "nail", this is it. I think it's an ugly pen and I don't like the extra fine line.

This Jinhao Chinese made pen with medium gold plated nib and converter. I can't get it to write with my inks without skipping and pressing hard.

:cry: The Lamy is a perfectly good pen. And you could fix that silly ink-denying fine line by buying a broad ink-loving god-worshiping nib. What pens do you have that have flex-nibs?

The Jinhao is a good exercise in learning to tune the pen. It probably takes a #6 nib and there are plenty of others out there.

What does lightly cleaned mean? Does that mean you rinsed them off under the tap leaving the befouled nibs as is?

Man, you're harshing my mellow here.

I've tried and tried to like the Lamy. Now you've got me wondering if I can buy a flex nib for it. Still an ugly pen though, in my opinion. I have a Noodler Ahab around here somewhere I think. I looked and looked and couldn't find it. It had a flex nib.

The Jinhao has been an exercise in futility for a while. I can take a look a the tuning link and see if I can make it work.

Lightly cleaned means that I've taken the barrel, converters, nib, and feed apart and soaked overnight in water. I used a soft bristled toothbrush on the feeds and rinsed till water was running clear.

Anyone have any recommendation for the slickest blue ink out there?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 pm

What's a good inexpensive starter pen? Do they still use India ink?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 pm
Ask for that Lamy. Great pen. Don't ever put India ink into one, though, as it will gum up the mechanism.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:04 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm
Jocose wrote:
Ask for that Lamy. Great pen. Don't ever put India ink into one, though, as it will gum up the mechanism.
Agreed.

Save the India ink for the dip pens.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:06 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:04 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm
Jocose wrote:
Agreed.

Save the India ink for the dip pens.
Ah, OK. I remember now.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Jocose wrote:
I like Parkers, but a lot of folks have started with a Phileas https://www.amazon.com/Waterman-Phileas ... 2KT0GWHZ96
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:51 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:41 pm
Jocose wrote:
I like Parkers, but a lot of folks have started with a Phileas https://www.amazon.com/Waterman-Phileas ... 2KT0GWHZ96
Somehow I've confused the dip pens which I used to use in calligraphy class many moons ago with the fountain pens.
My bad.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:03 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Which Parker did you start with?

I started with a Sheaffer Snorkel pen but it was a gift. Myself, I bought Pilot V-pens at about $4 per pen. I have a different idea of inexpensive starter than you do.

A lot of people today start with a Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari, TWSBI ECO, Platinum Preppy, Noodler's Ahab, Jinhao etc etc. They're all less expensive than the Waterman Phileas.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 am
Jester wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:30 am
Wrong pen - wrong nib. It's a denial of God too. If you had gone analog batshit crazy and bought 45 more pens and a half million ink samples you'd know this too.

There is a shortcut. :wink: Around here it's usually referred to as the Cleon-hack. You buy a cheap Plumix and swap the italic stub nib with the metro plain jane nib. Why swap them, when the Plumix can do the same thing? Ask Cleon, he has the theology of Plumix down pat. Then you buy a calligraphy book and you practice. Right? The practice is important because otherwise you're denying your imperfect nature and that's a denial of God etc. When God deigns to notice your feeble efforts and that you persist (that's important) he will likely test you. If you pass then he will pour calligraphy through you and you may well think it's talent. At that point you're in real trouble. You may go forth and become analog batshit crazy in your worship etc etc.
I'm shallow. The Metropolitan has a better body. Put an italic nib in it and, voila, the perfect pairing for the money.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:03 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Jocose wrote:

I started with a Sheaffer Snorkel pen but it was a gift. Myself, I bought Pilot V-pens at about $4 per pen. I have a different idea of inexpensive starter than you do.

A lot of people today start with a Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari, TWSBI ECO, Platinum Preppy, Noodler's Ahab, Jinhao etc etc. They're all less expensive than the Waterman Phileas.
You are right, Rusty.
That is what you like to hear, right?
I made a suggestion based upon experience after he asked following your offers of the disposable and cheaper options.
My first fountain pen was $4 at the campus book store, a Schaefer with a cartridge and steel nib.
I now write with a Duofold International I bought off of ebay about 15 years ago.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:53 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:41 pm
Rusty wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:03 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Jocose wrote:

You are right, Rusty.
That is what you like to hear, right?
No, I'd much rather be told I'm wrong and get a good argument. But this wasn't about that.
JudgeRusty wrote:I made a suggestion based upon experience after he asked following your offers of the disposable and cheaper options.
My first fountain pen was $4 at the campus book store, a Schaefer with a cartridge and steel nib.
I now write with a Duofold International I bought off of ebay about 15 years ago.
I like the $4 intro. I must admit that I'm suspicious of the old vaunted brands. Most of them are owned by others now and at least for starter pens aren't necessarily a great deal. They're not what they were. I didn't even look at Waterman for a starter pen. But I certainly would if I was shopping the great old vintage pens. The TWSBI pens are really interesting and I think their ECO is quite worthwhile as a starter pen. What other pen maker offers a good quality piston filler in their entry level pen? I was shocked at what TWSBI provides at under $30. If I could invest in that company I would but they're privately held.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Fountain Pens

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm

My buddy modded a Jinhou with a noodler's (fixed it) art nib and ground it down some and now he has a killer flex, never seen anything like it.

May have him make me one. I have neither the time nor the patience to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by JohnnyMcPiperson on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Apparently, I'm now a Burma Road kind of guy. More inks coming tomorrow. "Don't you have enough ink, Rusty?" By any sane measure, yes... but we walk the available inks like we're going somewhere. This is Noodler's Burma Rd Brown and it has all the aesthetic appeal of used motor oil with something olive growing in it. I'm excited. 8) It's also part of Noodler's V-mail series which apparently originates as reproductions of WWII Victory-Mail inks that Nathan Tardiff reverse engineered from samples and brought back to production.

What else? A couple of limited edition drunken Sailors. You may have heard of ink that has scent added? J. Herbin offers some of these. Through the miracle of modern technology these inks audibly curse like drunken sailors. Well, only until they dry. I'm not sure what language is employed for cursing but I suspect that it's Japanese. That should be interesting. #encouragingfolkstowrite

And that warm weather that would be nice for bottles of ink has switched and we're now below freezing again. So maybe the bottles explode and there is an orgy of cursing.
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm
My buddy modded a Jinhou with a noodle T's art nib and ground it down some and now he has a killer flex, never seen anything like it.

May have him make me one. I have neither the time nor the patience to do it myself.

Noodle T's? Jin who?

Here is the recipe...

T's Smoky Noodle Flex

You can buy economical flex nibs that fit the Jinhaos for very little. AFAIK they're standard sized nibs. But that shouldn't stop hacking.
http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/nibs.

There are artists that have blogs and they talk about fountain pens and nibs a lot. Typically they seem to like the Fude, Zoom, and Waverly nibs. Try Parka blogs.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
My buddy modded a Jinhou with a noodle T's art nib and ground it down some and now he has a killer flex, never seen anything like it.

Noodle T's? Jin who?

Here is the recipe...

T's Smoky Noodle Flex

You can buy economical flex nibs that fit the Jinhaos for very little. AFAIK they're standard sized nibs. But that shouldn't stop hacking.

There are artists that have blogs and they talk about fountain pens and nibs a lot. Typically they seem to like the Fude, Zoom, and Waverly nibs. Try Parka blogs.

Wait wait wait wait.....

you found cheaper flex nibs in a modern fountain pen? I know the Noodler's offering and have a couple. They are fine but more medium and wet than I'd like.

What's all this now about FPR and flex?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

Noodle T's? Jin who?

Here is the recipe...

T's Smoky Noodle Flex

Wait wait wait wait.....

you found cheaper flex nibs in a modern fountain pen? I know the Noodler's offering and have a couple. They are fine but more medium and wet than I'd like.

What's all this now about FPR and flex?
In the Ahab? That's a fine nib. Do you hate ink? I think Noodler's ebonite feed is pretty good on the Ahabs and the challenge is to deliver enough ink so that one can use flex and it not railroad immediately. Wet is good news for ink lovers and flex pens. Are you a lefty? Wet is not a blessing for smearers. You might like the custom XXXF nibs that are custom ground but that costs. The very idea of XXXF makes my skin crawl. I'm happy at the other end of the spectrum. Wet is good, fast drying is also good, and wide is beautiful. More ink. :D

You don't really think that nibs are scarce, do you? Pen nuts have been writing articles about swapping nibs for quite a while. It shouldn't surprise us that there are other nibs available. How well they perform is always another question. That companies name has come up in many pen forums and reviews. I just passed it along. I have not tried their products... yet. I'm trying to suck somebody of real means & mechanical skill into doing a lot of work so that I can benefit at low risk too. I doubt that you're a fit. You buy cheap pens (which encourages hacking so that's ok), you're not an experimental physicist, and I suspect you have two left hands so you're another raving theoretician. Get in line. But who knows? I can probably schedule you for an interview. :D

The folks doing this, as far as I can tell, are not replacing Noodler flex nibs, rather they're replacing stiff steel nibs on things like TWSBIs and others. But try it and then explain it here. I think inexpensive flex nibs that rival the vintage nibs of the 30's, say, would be BIG news. Haven't seen that.
For example.... http://www.clumsypenman.com/twsbi-vac-m ... xible-nib/

You can also replace the Noodler's Ahab nib with a stiff nice writing #6 nib if you so choose.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Cleon wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 pm
Rusty wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am
Cleon wrote:

Man, you're harshing my mellow here.

I've tried and tried to like the Lamy. Now you've got me wondering if I can buy a flex nib for it. Still an ugly pen though, in my opinion. I have a Noodler Ahab around here somewhere I think. I looked and looked and couldn't find it. It had a flex nib.
I haven't seen flex nibs for the Lamy Safari. They might exist, made by third party companies, but the Safari/Al-Star/Vista nibs are proprietary nibs. But they designed the nib to be replaceable and there is a big line of sizes. There are a lot of them out there so it's possible that there are 3rd party companies.

I just bought one because I've heard that they write very well and I found a bargain. So I'm interested in your criticism. But ugly is subjective and isn't very useful to me. I'm suspicious about the section (grip) but I'm willing to try it. On the plus side their nibs are western sized so a medium really is a medium as opposed to fine.
Cleon wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 pm
The Jinhao has been an exercise in futility for a while. I can take a look a the tuning link and see if I can make it work.

Lightly cleaned means that I've taken the barrel, converters, nib, and feed apart and soaked overnight in water. I used a soft bristled toothbrush on the feeds and rinsed till water was running clear.

Anyone have any recommendation for the slickest blue ink out there?
What do you mean by slickest? Lubricated, wet, oily ....what? Which ink have you used in it? And how does the pen perform/what does it actually do today? Does it write at all? What have you done to try and address the problem? Have you taken it apart/ washed it in soapy water? If you blow through the feed hole does anything pass? And then putting it back together reseating the nib on the feed?

The Noodler's American Eel series, and yes, there is a Eel Blue, is lubricated. They are supposed to be for pens that need lubrication and if it's a dry writer it may improve it.