Fountain Pens

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc.) to product reviews of items that may have slipped under our radar (e.g. - Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything "new" unless it harkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by gaining_age » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm
My buddy modded a Jinhou with a noodle T's art nib and ground it down some and now he has a killer flex, never seen anything like it.

May have him make me one. I have neither the time nor the patience to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noodle T's? Jin who?

Here is the recipe...

T's Smoky Noodle Flex

You can buy economical flex nibs that fit the Jinhaos for very little. AFAIK they're standard sized nibs. But that shouldn't stop hacking.
http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/nibs.

There are artists that have blogs and they talk about fountain pens and nibs a lot. Typically they seem to like the Fude, Zoom, and Waverly nibs. Try Parka blogs.

Wait wait wait wait.....

you found cheaper flex nibs in a modern fountain pen? I know the Noodler's offering and have a couple. They are fine but more medium and wet than I'd like.

What's all this now about FPR and flex?
I'm glad I gave you more time to edit this....
In the Ahab? That's a fine nib. Do you hate ink? I think Noodler's ebonite feed is pretty good on the Ahabs and the challenge is to deliver enough ink so that one can use flex and it not railroad immediately. Wet is good news for ink lovers and flex pens. Are you a lefty? Wet is not a blessing for smearers. You might like the custom XXXF nibs that are custom ground but that costs. The very idea of XXXF makes my skin crawl. I'm happy at the other end of the spectrum. Wet is good, fast drying is also good, and wide is beautiful. More ink. :D
Yes-- Ahab and Creaper. I don't hate ink-- I don't like ink seeping through the page (or the pages of my Bible if I'm marking the margins there).

The Ahab can get wet and be a pretty decent medium to flex to wide.

I have an X or maybe XXF Waterman's ideal #2 that I like-- that's the one that I would come back with a modern body-- it has no body currently. i do have a waterman's 52 1/2 which is not quite compatible-- it's the thin dude.
You don't really think that nibs are scarce, do you? Pen nuts have been writing articles about swapping nibs for quite a while. It shouldn't surprise us that there are other nibs available. How well they perform is always another question. That companies name has come up in many pen forums and reviews. I just passed it along. I have not tried their products... yet. I'm trying to suck somebody of real means & mechanical skill into doing a lot of work so that I can benefit at low risk too. I doubt that you're a fit. You buy cheap pens (which encourages hacking so that's ok), you're not an experimental physicist, and I suspect you have two left hands so you're another raving theoretician. Get in line. But who knows? I can probably schedule you for an interview. :D
The really perfect or most desired nibs are always scarce.... and finding "just the right one" seems like a true quest. I wouldn't want a 1k pen with a crappy nib.

I appreciate you passing along the FPR page-- I may need to try them out with expectations set about the same level as I have with the Noodler's flexible nib.

I would take slight offense that you'd say I'm not an experimental physicist but good applied physicists have to be nimble with theory as well. I do not have two left hands.
The folks doing this, as far as I can tell, are not replacing Noodler flex nibs, rather they're replacing stiff steel nibs on things like TWSBIs and others. But try it and then explain it here. I think inexpensive flex nibs that rival the vintage nibs of the 30's, say, would be BIG news. Haven't seen that.
For example.... http://www.clumsypenman.com/twsbi-vac-m ... xible-nib/

You can also replace the Noodler's Ahab nib with a stiff nice writing #6 nib if you so choose.
I'm still figuring out what I'd like. I agree that vintage nibs have the sweet spot- yet they have variety as well so that's a crap shoot a bit as well. It's exciting to find the good pens with the amazing nibs. If you find some exciting news about awesome modern nibs, do please share. Or even if there becomes a pursuit of fixing old vintage nibs to modern pens. I'm keeping my eyes open. 14k nibs rock.

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:40 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:34 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm
My buddy modded a Jinhou with a noodle T's art nib and ground it down some and now he has a killer flex, never seen anything like it.

May have him make me one. I have neither the time nor the patience to do it myself.

Noodle T's? Jin who?

Here is the recipe...

T's Smoky Noodle Flex

You can buy economical flex nibs that fit the Jinhaos for very little. AFAIK they're standard sized nibs. But that shouldn't stop hacking.
http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/nibs.

There are artists that have blogs and they talk about fountain pens and nibs a lot. Typically they seem to like the Fude, Zoom, and Waverly nibs. Try Parka blogs.

Wait wait wait wait.....

you found cheaper flex nibs in a modern fountain pen? I know the Noodler's offering and have a couple. They are fine but more medium and wet than I'd like.

What's all this now about FPR and flex?
I'm glad I gave you more time to edit this....
In the Ahab? That's a fine nib. Do you hate ink? I think Noodler's ebonite feed is pretty good on the Ahabs and the challenge is to deliver enough ink so that one can use flex and it not railroad immediately. Wet is good news for ink lovers and flex pens. Are you a lefty? Wet is not a blessing for smearers. You might like the custom XXXF nibs that are custom ground but that costs. The very idea of XXXF makes my skin crawl. I'm happy at the other end of the spectrum. Wet is good, fast drying is also good, and wide is beautiful. More ink. :D
Yes-- Ahab and Creaper. I don't hate ink-- I don't like ink seeping through the page (or the pages of my Bible if I'm marking the margins there).

The Ahab can get wet and be a pretty decent medium to flex to wide.
Then don't write in that bible or use a pencil. I never write in published books. I have a pile of old Ikea A5 notebooks and ink written with broad nib pens does not go through the pages. Not with any of my inks so far. I think I bought the notebooks at an Ikea garage sale back in the early 90's for a couple of cents on the dollar. There must have been at least 50 and probably a 100. The kids used them too. I still have about 25 remaining to be used. Plus I have other journals that are ongoing and they do fine too.

The Ahab barely does any flexing in normal writing. Go measure the width of the line. But before you do specify the width of a fine nib line and the width of medium nib line. Western standard please. I think the Ahab is not a medium width. It's fine. All of my medium nibs are wider than the Ahab.
gaining_age wrote:
I have an X or maybe XXF Waterman's ideal #2 that I like-- that's the one that I would come back with a modern body-- it has no body currently. i do have a waterman's 52 1/2 which is not quite compatible-- it's the thin dude.
Rusty wrote: You don't really think that nibs are scarce, do you? Pen nuts have been writing articles about swapping nibs for quite a while. It shouldn't surprise us that there are other nibs available. How well they perform is always another question. That companies name has come up in many pen forums and reviews. I just passed it along. I have not tried their products... yet. I'm trying to suck somebody of real means & mechanical skill into doing a lot of work so that I can benefit at low risk too. I doubt that you're a fit. You buy cheap pens (which encourages hacking so that's ok), you're not an experimental physicist, and I suspect you have two left hands so you're another raving theoretician. Get in line. But who knows? I can probably schedule you for an interview. :D
The really perfect or most desired nibs are always scarce.... and finding "just the right one" seems like a true quest. I wouldn't want a 1k pen with a crappy nib.

I appreciate you passing along the FPR page-- I may need to try them out with expectations set about the same level as I have with the Noodler's flexible nib.
I'm delighted to hear of your quest. I doubt that low cost FPR steel nibs are any answer for your vintage pens. Can you and do you use the vintage pens? What else do you have? Is it just a couple of Noodlers and a couple of vintage pens?
gaining_age wrote:
I would take slight offense that you'd say I'm not an experimental physicist but good applied physicists have to be nimble with theory as well. I do not have two left hands.
Ok. Ten thumbs?
The folks doing this, as far as I can tell, are not replacing Noodler flex nibs, rather they're replacing stiff steel nibs on things like TWSBIs and others. But try it and then explain it here. I think inexpensive flex nibs that rival the vintage nibs of the 30's, say, would be BIG news. Haven't seen that.
For example.... http://www.clumsypenman.com/twsbi-vac-m ... xible-nib/

You can also replace the Noodler's Ahab nib with a stiff nice writing #6 nib if you so choose.
Growth Accelerated wrote:I'm still figuring out what I'd like. I agree that vintage nibs have the sweet spot- yet they have variety as well so that's a crap shoot a bit as well. It's exciting to find the good pens with the amazing nibs. If you find some exciting news about awesome modern nibs, do please share. Or even if there becomes a pursuit of fixing old vintage nibs to modern pens. I'm keeping my eyes open. 14k nibs rock.
G.
Which modern pens, with modern nibs, have your tried?
We're mostly told that the nib technology of the 30's, say, that produced those marvelous nibs is gone. And then they whisper that someone has found some of the old machines in a basement somewhere. This is an old technology that like tobacco making is mostly gone. It's surprising that it is gone in Japan too. I'm quite happy with some of the Pelikans even in steel nibs and their gold nibs are very nice but expensive. The gold-alloy nibs from Pilot have a little more give than production Sailor & Platinum nibs of the same quality which have no flex. The German Jowo steel nibs that many of the pen makers use today can be marvelous writers but there is no flex.
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Many moons ago I worked at a pen store.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Noodler sells a separate pack of art flex nibs that can be modded for a Jinhou pen and have a super fine variable flex

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:07 pm
Noodler sells a separate pack of art flex nibs that can be modded for a Jinhou pen and have a super fine variable flex

I think Cleon's is a Jinhao 250 and I believe they take #5 nibs. The Noodler's & the Goulet nibs are #6 nibs. The Goulet nibs are German Jowo nibs and they're very nice. I use them. But the one size offering is very limited if one is trying to swap nibs on smaller nib pens. FPR sells inexpensive #5 nibs, and other sizes, with some flex or not, whatever your preference. Some of the TWSBI's take #5 nibs as well. FPR also sell feeds too. Hackers paradise. I'm quite that there are other sources too. Actually the Edison #5 nibs would probably be fine too but they cost more than the pen. 8) There are other Jinhao models that use #6 nib/feeder and both Goulet & Noodler art nibs are a swap on those. It's the diameter of the feed that determines the nib size.
The following is the article about the fella that swapped his #5 TWSBI Vac-Mini nib for an FPR mild flex nib.
http://www.clumsypenman.com/twsbi-vac-m ... xible-nib/

What is involved in 'can be modded' John? If one starts with a nib whose curvature doesn't match the feed then one is adding work.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 pm
...What is involved in 'can be modded' John? If one starts with a nib whose curvature doesn't match the feed then one is adding work.
A flame, a forge, and a hammer.

Hopefully.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Back in the day, S.T. Dupont made one of the best fountain pens. Cartier was a close second. Oddly enough, however, it was only certain lines in those perspective brands that were good. And, more often than not, it had nothing to do with price. Sometimes the most expensive wasn't the best writer.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:19 pm

jruegg wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:33 pm
Back in the day, S.T. Dupont made one of the best fountain pens. Cartier was a close second. Oddly enough, however, it was only certain lines in those perspective brands that were good. And, more often than not, it had nothing to do with price. Sometimes the most expensive wasn't the best writer.
When is back in the day? The expensive pens are all intended to be serviced professionally periodically. You don't pull them apart to clean them or that's the end of the warranty. Even the Pilot Custom series pens are not intended to be disassembled by the consumer. Take apart a Monblanc 149? Forget it. It's really annoying. One has to go down market for them to be intended for user servicing and cleaning. When I saw the included wrench in the TWSBI package I thought, "Now this is really good. They think like me." I like TWSBI pens. And everything comes apart and can consumer serviced and cleaned. The same wrench works on the Pilot Custom pens too. What have you got that can be hacked? Johnny has a friend with a forge, anvil, and hammers. 8O Awful, I know. It's not the best pens but rather pens that can be user serviced and hacked that are popular.

Why not show us pics of your pens and we'll offer to adopt them to relieve you of the burden of owning such extremely materialistic stuff which must be a burden for a minister. :D It's a sacrifice, I know, but we'll consider it with just a small ongoing periodic fee as a cost to you. Think of it as divorce and child support. Some might make the same offer with your pipes. You're not using them, are you? More materialist burden. 8) OTOH if you have inexpensive beloved pens then we'll oooh and aaah over those too.

What inks do you like? The FP world is very LGBT friendly. There are inks with sheen and shimmer... The girls and the gays gush over them. We haven't explained about real men and inks to Johnny yet. Are you still using that Ku Jaku? You'd probably like Sailor Yama Dori too. It's a nice teal until it dries and then.... 8O real men don't do pink.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:19 pm
jruegg wrote:
When is back in the day? The expensive pens are all intended to be serviced professionally periodically. You don't pull them apart to clean them or that's the end of the warranty. Even the Pilot Custom series pens are not intended to be disassembled by the consumer. Take apart a Monblanc 149? Forget it. It's really annoying. One has to go down market for them to be intended for user servicing and cleaning. When I saw the included wrench in the TWSBI package I thought, "Now this is really good. They think like me." I like TWSBI pens. And everything comes apart and can consumer serviced and cleaned. The same wrench works on the Pilot Custom pens too. What have you got that can be hacked? Johnny has a friend with a forge, anvil, and hammers. 8O Awful, I know. It's not the best pens but rather pens that can be user serviced and hacked that are popular.

Why not show us pics of your pens and we'll offer to adopt them to relieve you of the burden of owning such extremely materialistic stuff which must be a burden for a minister. :D It's a sacrifice, I know, but we'll consider it with just a small ongoing periodic fee as a cost to you. Think of it as divorce and child support. Some might make the same offer with your pipes. You're not using them, are you? More materialist burden. 8) OTOH if you have inexpensive beloved pens then we'll oooh and aaah over those too.

What inks do you like? The FP world is very LGBT friendly. There are inks with sheen and shimmer... The girls and the gays gush over them. We haven't explained about real men and inks to Johnny yet. Are you still using that Ku Jaku? You'd probably like Sailor Yama Dori too. It's a nice teal until it dries and then.... 8O real men don't do pink.
I worked at the pen shop in the late 90's. I realize that's not very "back in the day" for some folks.

Jesus said not to get divorced, so that's out of the question.

I don't have much ink left. What I have is either Omas, Waterman, Visconti, or Parker.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 pm

jruegg wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 am
Rusty wrote:
jruegg wrote:

I worked at the pen shop in the late 90's. I realize that's not very "back in the day" for some folks.

I don't have much ink left. What I have is either Omas, Waterman, Visconti, or Parker.
With FPs I take "back in the day" to mean 1930's usually. It's because others celebrate the vintage pens from that era. Late 90's is yesterday. But that's ok. Are you using your pens?

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 pm
jruegg wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 am
Rusty wrote:
jruegg wrote:

With FPs I take "back in the day" to mean 1930's usually. It's because others celebrate the vintage pens from that era. Late 90's is yesterday. But that's ok. Are you using your pens?
I use 'em when I can but a lot of my work is on the computer. Also, my handwriting sucks.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Rusty wrote:
...What inks do you like? The FP world is very LGBT friendly. There are inks with sheen and shimmer... The girls and the gays gush over them. We haven't explained about real men and inks to Johnny yet. Are you still using that Ku Jaku? You'd probably like Sailor Yama Dori too. It's a nice teal until it dries and then.... 8O real men don't do pink.
I saw some of the pink shimmery inks on YouTube the other day. I thought, "Cocopuff would love these." They're perfect for six-year-old girls.

And Jruegg.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:23 pm

coco wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:21 pm
Rusty wrote:
...What inks do you like? The FP world is very LGBT friendly. There are inks with sheen and shimmer... The girls and the gays gush over them. We haven't explained about real men and inks to Johnny yet. Are you still using that Ku Jaku? You'd probably like Sailor Yama Dori too. It's a nice teal until it dries and then.... 8O real men don't do pink.
I saw some of the pink shimmery inks on YouTube the other day. I thought, "Cocopuff would love these." They're perfect for six-year-old girls.

And Jruegg.
And Johnny.

I thought it was just pink sheen but there are more colours. Pink is just more common. Apparently some of the ink constituents crystallize on drying (it's not visible when it's wet) and the crystals do have a colour. In some cases it only occurs as an outline around the line or letter written. It is sensitive to the angle of viewing. When you look forward to a teal coloured ink and it goes pink it's a bit of a shock. But it's hyped just now in inks so it's considered desirable by many. Shading, sheen, shimmer, and varying width of line due to flex are the attributes hunted by the in-style pen crazies.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Not really a FP question, but on the subject of inks. I use black inks for letters, green inks for notes, and violet for signatures. I've been using Lamy Green and I really dislike it. Any good greens out there?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:32 pm
Not really a FP question, but on the subject of inks. I use black inks for letters, green inks for notes, and violet for signatures. I've been using Lamy Green and I really dislike it. Any good greens out there?
This is personal taste. And there are certainly popular greens among the nuts.
A pretty good tool for comparing colours is Goulet's swab shop. You can select just greens and have a stare at it.

https://www.gouletpens.com/swab-shop

There are some brands that they don't sell. The most notable omission for me is perhaps Sailor inks. Sailor puts out limited edition inks that are interesting. In 2016 they hit my button with Rikyu Cha. It looks like moldy tea. Very appealing. I had to have it.

I tend to like the olive going into brown. Think used motor oil with some kind of olive stuff growing in it.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Thank you, sir. I'm going to take a good look. I want something with some permancy.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
A pretty good tool for comparing colours is Goulet's swab shop. You can select just greens and have a stare at it.

There are some brands that they don't sell. The most notable omission for me is perhaps Sailor inks. Sailor puts out limited edition inks that are interesting. In 2016 they hit my button with Rikyu Cha. It looks like moldy tea. Very appealing. I had to have it.

I tend to like the olive going into brown. Think used motor oil with some kind of olive stuff growing in it.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:00 pm
Thank you, sir. I'm going to take a good look. I want something with some permancy.
The attributes are missing from that display. It's a challenge sometimes to determine the attributes. There are a bunch of ink guides on Jetpen that deal with various desirable ink attributes. That might help a little. And Noodler's has various "bullet proof" inks but there are a number of attributes of permanency that you may need to separate in your evaluation of inks. These attributes considerably limits the 'field' for choices too. Most FP inks aren't even waterproof.

The article index - https://www.jetpens.com/blog/fountain-pen-inks/ct/71
Noodler's ink guide - https://www.jetpens.com/blog/noodlers-f ... ide/pt/902

The Noodler's guide has a fairly good discussion of issues that relate to permanency (near the bottom). And Noodler's website has a pdf version of a spreadsheet with their product ink properties by ink. So it relates to the article discussion. It's far more than any other ink maker seems to do. The spreadsheet is maintained too.
http://noodlersink.com/wp-content/uploa ... erties.pdf

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:22 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 pm
Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:

Are you some kind of heretical renegade ballpointer?

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Google first: "heretical renegade ballpointer"
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning