Dec. 6 - Feast of St. Nicholas

For those deep thinkers out there.
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Thunktank wrote:My youngest son's Patron Saint is St. Nicholas. We honor his namesday with a small present and namesday fudge. Before bed, we'll pray an Akathist in St. Nicks honor.
I want to join the religion that has fudge named after Saints.
uh...hello? Chocolate Advent Calendar is better.

"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Digz
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Digz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:25 pm

I still prefer this one:

:)

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Here is the Coptic Synaxarium reading for the feast of St. Nicholas, which is his hagiography read during the divine liturgy. Its a thumbnail of his life.

Though being on the Julian calendar we celebrate on the 19th. (unfortunately we don't celebrate with fudge. Maybe once we unite we'll start celebrating with fudge. :lol: )
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Why do I get the impression that the Council of Nicea was the Donovan's Reef of the day, and St. Nicholas was John Wayne? :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG8-q498_jI
BTW Marcel Dalio's character, Fr. Cluzeot appears in the film with a beaut of a calabash shaped meerschaum :D

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Thoth wrote: Though being on the Julian calendar we celebrate on the 19th. (unfortunately we don't celebrate with fudge. Maybe once we unite we'll start celebrating with fudge. :lol: )
Oh no! I didn't even think of the Julian calender in my well wishing to Monarchist earlier today. :oops:

I think once we unite there's a better chance you'll will be celebrating on the 6th than celebrating with fudge unless you want to be like me and my family and be original. :wink:

(There is little that will garner the scrupulous attentions of the Orthodox than an Orthodox doing something in regards to faith that is "original". :lol:)

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:35 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thoth wrote: Though being on the Julian calendar we celebrate on the 19th. (unfortunately we don't celebrate with fudge. Maybe once we unite we'll start celebrating with fudge. :lol: )
Oh no! I didn't even think of the Julian calender in my well wishing to Monarchist earlier today. :oops:

I think once we unite there's a better chance you'll will be celebrating on the 6th than celebrating with fudge unless you want to be like me and my family and be original. :wink:

(There is little that will garner the scrupulous attentions of the Orthodox than an Orthodox doing something in regards to faith that is "original". :lol:)
There you go destroying any personal desire for ecumenism. :P
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:39 am

Digz wrote:I still prefer this one:

:)
That is such a good idea... 8O
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:50 am

Hovannes wrote:Why do I get the impression that the Council of Nicea was the Donovan's Reef of the day, and St. Nicholas was John Wayne? :lol:
BTW Marcel Dalio's character, Fr. Cluzeot appears in the film with a beaut of a calabash shaped meerschaum :D
Not Nicea but some later local councils were brutal with bishops dying of the injuries they received. St. Dioscorus, if I remembered correctly, sparked a riot in Alexandria when he sent back home some of teeth which had been knocked out and part of his beard that was ripped out, with a note to the effect of see how they treat your bishop.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:23 am

Thoth wrote:
Hovannes wrote:Why do I get the impression that the Council of Nicea was the Donovan's Reef of the day, and St. Nicholas was John Wayne? :lol:
Not Nicea but some later local councils were brutal with bishops dying of the injuries they received. St. Dioscorus, if I remembered correctly, sparked a riot in Alexandria when he sent back home some of teeth which had been knocked out and part of his beard that was ripped out, with a note to the effect of see how they treat your bishop.
So this is how the Holy Spirit guides and protects the holy tradition? 8O

:wink:
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:25 am

infidel wrote:
Thoth wrote:

This ain't a business for wimps! :D

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:28 am

infidel wrote:
Thoth wrote:

No, for that he has the inquisition.

Monarchist
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Monarchist » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:37 pm

As I generally visit the Theology forum rarely, I only just saw this, and I'd like to say thank you to all the well wishers for my namesday!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Thoth wrote:
I glanced around to see what I could find out about Dioscorus, and it appears that he was a bit Eutychian.
a random website quotes Dioscorus wrote:The u-nion of the Word of God with the flesh is like the u-nion of the spirit with the body, and like the u-nion of the fire with iron: even if they are of two different natures, by unity they became one. Similarly, our Lord Jesus Christ is one Messiah, one Nature, and one Will. (ref)
That being said, it seems that he did indeed have send teeth and part of his beard back home, as Thoth said. This is rather unacceptable behavior towards him, however questionable his orthodoxy may be.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

james-owen
Minister of Whippersnappery

Post by james-owen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:03 pm

Do ya'll actually eat for these "feast" or is it a term?
"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest."
-Charles Lamb   http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1571

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:31 pm

james-owen wrote:Do ya'll actually eat for these "feast" or is it a term?
If Catholics actually feasted at every feast they'd all weigh 6,000 pounds. You can't swing a dead cat without running to a feast.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:34 pm

Hey Mon! Happy St. Nicolai's day!! :lol:

And no swinging dead cats... only live ones.

james-owen

Post by james-owen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:40 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
james-owen wrote:Do ya'll actually eat for these "feast" or is it a term?
If Catholics actually feasted at every feast they'd all weigh 6,000 pounds. You can't swing a dead cat without running to a feast.
Ok, for a minute there I thought baptist had a love for food!
"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest."
-Charles Lamb   http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1571

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Dec. 6 - Feast of St. Nicholas

Post by tuttle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 am

"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:47 am

tuttle wrote:Image
Ha. My friends and I have thought about taking a creative approach to family worship during this part of advent and having a picture of Arius hung up somewhere so the kids can punch him in the face or pin a fist on his face. Another concept was to have a pinata of Arius filled full of Twizzlers and rigged so it exploded out the bottom with the right hit.

This did not go over well with my wife.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:27 am

Del wrote:...In the East, there are more churches dedicated to St. Nicholas than any other saint. He is the patron of sailors, perfumers, pawn brokers, children (of course), and many other professions...
Boxers?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk