Eucharist

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Which form of communion does your church use?

wafer and cup
39%
wafer and individual cup (pre-poured small plastic cup per individual)
50%
intinction
11%

Total votes: 18

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:21 pm

In our Episcopal church, we use wafer and cup, with baked bread in the advent season. Some sip, some dip, just by preference. I prefer to dip, since I am not really fond of the taste of communion wine, and this way I can just dip a very small corner of the wafer, and not get too much of it.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by BubbaJack » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 pm

jo533281 wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:
coco wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:
coco wrote:Pet peeve:
It should taste like bread, not cardboard

Correction. It should be bread, not cardboard. :D
Wait...shouldn't it have BEEN bread, BE the presence of God and taste good?
From an RC perspective, the accidents of pseudo-bread cardboard remain that of pseudo-bread cardboard, while the essence is changed to that of the actual body of Christ.
I only meant that it should actually be made from bread and not some silly pieces of cardboard lookalikes in a box. I always thought that was silly. We Orthies still bake our bread ourselves in our own churches (or at someone's home if a church has not a stove). Even my former Methodist Church cut bread into cubes.
See, now I am a seminary trained Methodist and I remember distinctly being taught that it was improper to use a knife on the bread that was to be consecrated. If you wonder why, just think about it to yourself for a moment.... "Why wouldn't I want to run a knife through what is about to be... OH YEAH!"

Further than that, isn't there a stigma in Middle Eastern culture against using a knife on bread of any kind anyway?

No cubist Jesus here thank you. We still use Intinction or the "rip and dip" (I feel so cheap now) method. No one in my church has ever caught anything.

Another thought....Did any of you see the research about wine in a gold or gold plated cup causing a hostile environment for bacteria? Here is where I saw something about it:

http://community.discovery.com/eve/foru ... 6631945459
The Orthodox priest does use a knife when cutting the bread (before the consecration, I believe). And this knife looks much like a the end of a spear (biblical reference anyone?) for obvious reasons.
That is indeed fascinating, and I most assuredly get the reference, but I think that was what I found wonky. Please hear me when I say I can't quite point to any scripture as an authority on why not to use a knife, it was drilled into my head and it just feels wrong.

Perhaps the key is that when the bread is being cut, it is still only bread...

We aren't crucifying Christ again at the altar, we are participating in what moves through time from the point of the crucifixion in an eternal line. Since His sacrifice was infinite, it is enough for all time for all who will be saved (our theology believes it is enough for all people, but not all will receive it. Others believe it is only enough for the saved). When we ask Him to be present at the table with the words, "Pour out your Holy Spirit upon these gifts of bread and wine and make them be for us the body and blood of Christ that we may be for the world the body of Christ redeemed by His blood" we are asking to be recipients of His gift on the cross so that we might participate in the redemption, we aren't piercing His side and hammering the nails again.
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
― C.S. Lewis

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:11 am

Thoth wrote:Basically and most importantly, the Body and Blood of Christ will never the agent of disease.
What if you're allergic to gluten?
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

jo533281
like R2D2, just not as cool

Post by jo533281 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 am

infidel wrote:
Thoth wrote:Basically and most importantly, the Body and Blood of Christ will never the agent of disease.
There is a girl in my church who takes the eucharist and she can't have gluten I believe. She's never gotten sick over it, ever.
"This is not facebook, we are not here to boost your self esteem or hang on your every word." -Zed-

"It's all right, Andy! It's just bolognaise!"

Most Likely to Draw Pirates with a Post

jo533281

Post by jo533281 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:15 am

BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:
coco wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:
jo533281 wrote:
coco wrote:Pet peeve:
It should taste like bread, not cardboard

Correction. It should be bread, not cardboard. :D
Wait...shouldn't it have BEEN bread, BE the presence of God and taste good?
From an RC perspective, the accidents of pseudo-bread cardboard remain that of pseudo-bread cardboard, while the essence is changed to that of the actual body of Christ.
I only meant that it should actually be made from bread and not some silly pieces of cardboard lookalikes in a box. I always thought that was silly. We Orthies still bake our bread ourselves in our own churches (or at someone's home if a church has not a stove). Even my former Methodist Church cut bread into cubes.
See, now I am a seminary trained Methodist and I remember distinctly being taught that it was improper to use a knife on the bread that was to be consecrated. If you wonder why, just think about it to yourself for a moment.... "Why wouldn't I want to run a knife through what is about to be... OH YEAH!"

Further than that, isn't there a stigma in Middle Eastern culture against using a knife on bread of any kind anyway?

No cubist Jesus here thank you. We still use Intinction or the "rip and dip" (I feel so cheap now) method. No one in my church has ever caught anything.

Another thought....Did any of you see the research about wine in a gold or gold plated cup causing a hostile environment for bacteria? Here is where I saw something about it:

http://community.discovery.com/eve/foru ... 6631945459
The Orthodox priest does use a knife when cutting the bread (before the consecration, I believe). And this knife looks much like a the end of a spear (biblical reference anyone?) for obvious reasons.
That is indeed fascinating, and I most assuredly get the reference, but I think that was what I found wonky. Please hear me when I say I can't quite point to any scripture as an authority on why not to use a knife, it was drilled into my head and it just feels wrong.

Perhaps the key is that when the bread is being cut, it is still only bread...

We aren't crucifying Christ again at the altar, we are participating in what moves through time from the point of the crucifixion in an eternal line. Since His sacrifice was infinite, it is enough for all time for all who will be saved (our theology believes it is enough for all people, but not all will receive it. Others believe it is only enough for the saved). When we ask Him to be present at the table with the words, "Pour out your Holy Spirit upon these gifts of bread and wine and make them be for us the body and blood of Christ that we may be for the world the body of Christ redeemed by His blood" we are asking to be recipients of His gift on the cross so that we might participate in the redemption, we aren't piercing His side and hammering the nails again.
I agree we aren't resacrificing Christ on the altar. Rather we are re-presenting that sacrifice. Everything, even the knife that looks like a spear tip points us back to the gospels.
"This is not facebook, we are not here to boost your self esteem or hang on your every word." -Zed-

"It's all right, Andy! It's just bolognaise!"

Most Likely to Draw Pirates with a Post

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:19 am

BubbaJack wrote:We aren't crucifying Christ again at the altar [...] we aren't piercing His side and hammering the nails again.
That's true, but it's also true that the mass makes the crucifixion present. It is as though time is opened up at the altar that the events of the crucifixion are laid before the people. It was a once-for-all sacrifice, but as jo###### pointed out, it is re-presented at every mass.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:23 am

colton wrote:
BubbaJack wrote:We aren't crucifying Christ again at the altar [...] we aren't piercing His side and hammering the nails again.
That's true, but it's also true that the mass makes the crucifixion present. It is as though time is opened up at the altar that the events of the crucifixion are laid before the people. It was a once-for-all sacrifice, but as jo###### pointed out, it is re-presented at every mass.
The Divine Liturgy is a journey from earth to heaven where time isn't limited to our usual perception of it. Yeah, we're pretty cool. :)

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:33 am

infidel wrote:
The 18 cute little Benedictine nuns in their monastery in the Wisconsin Dells have perfected a gluten-free recipe for communion hosts.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:35 am

Del wrote:
infidel wrote:
The 18 cute little Benedictine nuns in their monastery in the Wisconsin Dells have perfected a gluten-free recipe for communion hosts.
Google first.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:36 am

Thunktank wrote:
colton wrote:
The Divine Liturgy is a journey from earth to heaven where time isn't limited to our usual perception of it. Yeah, we're pretty cool. :)
+yup. As far as I know, there are no Christian churches that believe they are crucifying Christ again in the Lord's Supper.

I have no idea where that accusation ever came from.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

BubbaJack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by BubbaJack » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:43 am

Del wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
colton wrote:
+yup. As far as I know, there are no Christian churches that believe they are crucifying Christ again in the Lord's Supper.

I have no idea where that accusation ever came from.
I've gone back and looked. I didn't make any such accusation, only an explanation of present thought and practice. Some who misunderstand the belief in the real presence have accused the church of repeating the sacrifice instead of re-presenting the sacrifice. No accusation.

My "personal" concern was about the use of a knife. And again, I must reiterate that it appears to be something I was taught and I cannot find a clear doctrine, teaching, etc... about it from any source as of yet. Yet. :D
PaxChristi!
BubbaJack

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”
― C.S. Lewis

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Re: Eucharist

Post by infidel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:14 am

So, I happened to be listening to Patrick Madrid's (RCC apologist) show on the local Catholic radio station, and some Dude called in to ask about some diocese that was somehow limiting the typical Eucharistic distribution practices because of the flu. Dude was upset by this and was absolutely adamant that the Precious BloodTM could never make anyone sick and in fact could only ever be an agent of healing and that he specifically encourages people who are sick to receive it for these patently obvious reasons. My memory of this thread was jogged, and I expected Mr. Madrid to confirm Dude's assertions but he didn't 8O He explained that while Dude's conclusions were very well reasoned and perfectly rational, Dude was wrong. The explanation he gave was that while the essence/substance of the HostTM is the body/blood/soul/divinity of Christ, all of the physical accidents/properties/attributes of the bread and wine remain, along with all of the effects that said accidents/properties/attributes physically cause, for example you could get drunk by consuming a large quantity of the Precious BloodTM and for the same reason germs would stick to the elements or the cup the same as any other physical surface.

I am scandalized :egor:

;-)
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 am

infidel wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:14 am
So, I happened to be listening to Patrick Madrid's (RCC apologist) show on the local Catholic radio station, and some Dude called in to ask about some diocese that was somehow limiting the typical Eucharistic distribution practices because of the flu. Dude was upset by this and was absolutely adamant that the Precious BloodTM could never make anyone sick and in fact could only ever be an agent of healing and that he specifically encourages people who are sick to receive it for these patently obvious reasons. My memory of this thread was jogged, and I expected Mr. Madrid to confirm Dude's assertions but he didn't 8O He explained that while Dude's conclusions were very well reasoned and perfectly rational, Dude was wrong. The explanation he gave was that while the essence/substance of the HostTM is the body/blood/soul/divinity of Christ, all of the physical accidents/properties/attributes of the bread and wine remain, along with all of the effects that said accidents/properties/attributes physically cause, for example you could get drunk by consuming a large quantity of the Precious BloodTM and for the same reason germs would stick to the elements or the cup the same as any other physical surface.

;-)
Cue Del in 3, 2, 1. His Eucharist-ie Senses are tingling.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:27 am

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 am
infidel wrote:

;-)
Cue Del in 3, 2, 1.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del

Post by Del » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 am

hugodrax wrote:
Cue Del in 3, 2, 1. His Eucharist-ie Senses are tingling.
I know, right?

This one made me laugh again....
Skip wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:47 pm
Oh, and to answer the question - and this has been covered before in here somewhere. Feel free to search. Look for "McCommunion" or "The Last Happy Meal" which is what I consider the approach my present church uses. First Sunday of the month we pull out the pre-packaged grape-juice-pretending-it's-wine-and-styrofoam-masquerading-as-unleavened-bread capsules and pretend that we're sharing communion.

I don't partake. Without putting too much thought into it, I feel that it is inappropriate at best.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:34 am

hugodrax wrote:
infidel wrote:

;-)
Cue Del in 3, 2, 1.
Or Thoth.

I've got to say, the guy that sits behind me in church has been fighting leukemia for years and I cringe every time he partakes. I mean, by the time he gets the bread and wine it has been through all of the church, including little snot noses. He hasn't been sick once, even during intense chemo. That's got to be unusual.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH