The Rapture

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

The Rapture

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:37 am

Whether it be today, tomorrow or another day..

It's funny to me that no one knows the day or hour, not even Jesus. Only the Father knows.

How can this be?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:58 am

Actually, we know about the Rapture (as taught by Darby and the Dispensationalists).

But if you are talking about the "things that Jesus didn't know" -- like who touched him in the crowd, when the healing power left Him without His willing it to do so.... There is a explanation for this.

Jesus has a human nature and a Divine nature. In His Divine nature, He is God. He knows everything as God knows everything. Nothing happens without His will.

But His human nature can not encompass all of that knowledge. His human nature knows what His divine nature has revealed to his humanity. Thus He can tell us that there will be a delightfully sudden and catastrophic end to this reality -- but He can't tell us when.

Likewise, the woman who was cured of her hemorrhage. That event was for our benefit -- to show us that we really can gain access to the saving and healing power of Christ by our trust in Him. We don't even have to cut a hole in the roof first.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:13 am

Del wrote:Actually, we know about the Rapture (as taught by Darby and the Dispensationalists).

But if you are talking about the "things that Jesus didn't know" -- like who touched him in the crowd, when the healing power left Him without His willing it to do so.... There is a explanation for this.

Jesus has a human nature and a Divine nature. In His Divine nature, He is God. He knows everything as God knows everything. Nothing happens without His will.

But His human nature can not encompass all of that knowledge. His human nature knows what His divine nature has revealed to his humanity.
Thus He can tell us that there will be a delightfully sudden and catastrophic end to this reality -- but He can't tell us when.

Likewise, the woman who was cured of her hemorrhage. That event was for our benefit -- to show us that we really can gain access to the saving and healing power of Christ by our trust in Him. We don't even have to cut a hole in the roof first.
this
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:21 am

Expanding a bit: Jesus, in his human nature, knew everything he needed to know to accomplish his mission. At times, this included knowledge about things that could not be directly ascertained, such as the hidden condition of men's hearts.
John 2:23-25 wrote:Now when he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many believed in his name when they saw the signs that he was doing. But Jesus on his part did not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people and needed no one to bear witness about man, for he himself knew what was in man.

In saying all this, neither Del nor I want to intone that Jesus was two people. He was and is one person with two distinct natures, fully divine and fully human. It's hard for us to understand what that was like, because we aren't made anything like that.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:34 am

*DAILY POST*

Chance of Rapture for 20 January 2014: 19%

That is all.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 am

What is your working definition of "Rapture?"

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 am

jruegg wrote:What is your working definition of "Rapture?"
You realize that this kind of conduct will get you nominated for 2014 CPS Awards...

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:02 am

UncleBob wrote:
You realize that this kind of conduct will get you nominated for 2014 CPS Awards...
In my time as a pastor I've come to realize that different people have different ideas of what "rapture" means. This is not a strategic GiNi maneuver..... promise.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 am

+JMJ+
"Rapture" is a song by Blondie.

That is all.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:38 am

jruegg wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
In my time as a pastor I've come to realize that different people have different ideas of what "rapture" means. This is not a strategic GiNi maneuver..... promise.
Rapture = "The great snatching", like when a chicken snatches up a june bug.

There. Discuss.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:09 pm

They make appliances for this...oh...rapture...never mind :oops:

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:12 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+

That is all.
+1

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:14 pm

coco wrote:
wosbald wrote:+JMJ+

That is all.
+1
Joyful Joyful!!
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:21 pm

+1 to Del and coco.

I'm not a believer in rapture theology, but I don't think that was the crux of Jo's question.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:27 pm

UncleBob wrote:*DAILY POST*

Chance of Rapture for 20 January 2014: 19%

That is all.
19% !!! Are you sure you understand probability and percentages at all?

We could take the history of all your predictions and treat the occurrence of rapture as a random variable and calculate an expected value. This is the way one judges whether a game of chance is fair or not.

I have a theory that you look at the probably of precip. in Lubbock and then increase it, with some odd transform, and then serve it up here as the prob of rapture ie you get rain much less often than rapture. If these values were true then you would no longer be posting at all. You would have been raptured multiple times! And we would fondly remember RapturedBob.

All that would remain would be a bunch of sinners, atheists, and me together with a lot of orphaned tobacco cellars.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:28 pm

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:46 pm

Jocose wrote:Whether it be today, tomorrow or another day..

It's funny to me that no one knows the day or hour, not even Jesus. Only the Father knows.

How can this be?
The reasoning here is obvious. It's like that algebra teacher you had in school who threw a pop quiz out there every once in a while. If you don't know when it's coming then (if yer smart) you do your studies every day so yer always prepared.

Now about this whole 'Rapture Theology'. I suppose I don't really know what the heck that even means. Does it simply mean that Jesus will come again (to walk the earth) and that he will judge the living and the dead? 'Cause we should all be able to get on board with that. Right?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:30 pm

jruegg wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
I'm not sure what you think "a strategic GiNi maneuver" is. You don't need to be a pastor to know that folks mean different things by specific terms, and that knowing what someone means by a term is essential to understanding his point.

Given your rationale, there's literally no difference between you asking the above question and me asking it elsewhere. Other than your strange decision to take a shot at me, that is.

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 pm

GiantNinja wrote:
jruegg wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
I'm not sure what you think "a strategic GiNi maneuver" is. You don't need to be a pastor to know that folks mean different things by specific terms, and that knowing what someone means by a term is essential to understanding his point.

Given your rationale, there's literally no difference between you asking the above question and me asking it elsewhere. Other than your strange decision to take a shot at me, that is.
Have you thought about this all day? I'm sure jruegg didn't mean to take a shot at you and was only referencing the CPS awards. The same awards you were nominated for in this category. Give jruegg the benefit of the doubt.

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:51 pm

No, I have not thought about it all day.

I read it earlier, and it bothered me. I responded, then deleted. I decided to come back to it later. I did. And it still bothered me.