For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Definition of Atheism

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Where is American religion heading?
For the first time in history, Congress has passed a law that protects “non-theists.”

The Frank R. Wolf International Religious Freedom Act - named for a former congressman who championed freedom of conscience - is designed to shield all types of minority believers who suffer attacks and prejudice.

It specifically says authorities must “protect theistic and non-theistic beliefs as well as the right not to profess or practice any religion.”

The bill passed Congress last week and is expected to be signed by President Barack Obama.

This first-time inclusion of nonbelievers recognizes a transformation in U.S. society: the rapid growth of adults who say their religion is “none.” A recent survey by the Public Religion Research Institute found that “nones” have become America’s largest faith category. They constitute 25 percent of the adult population, compared to 21 percent who are Catholic and 16 percent who are white evangelicals.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

wsblevins
Usher
Usher

Post by wsblevins » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:51 am

UncleBob wrote:Where is American religion heading?
For the first time in history, Congress has passed a law that protects “non-theists.”

The Frank R. Wolf International Religious Freedom Act - named for a former congressman who championed freedom of conscience - is designed to shield all types of minority believers who suffer attacks and prejudice.

It specifically says authorities must “protect theistic and non-theistic beliefs as well as the right not to profess or practice any religion.”

The bill passed Congress last week and is expected to be signed by President Barack Obama.

This first-time inclusion of nonbelievers recognizes a transformation in U.S. society: the rapid growth of adults who say their religion is “none.” A recent survey by the Public Religion Research Institute found that “nones” have become America’s largest faith category. They constitute 25 percent of the adult population, compared to 21 percent who are Catholic and 16 percent who are white evangelicals.
We live in some pretty sad times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“This country needs an enema.”

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:43 pm

Odd, a law would need to be passed for this when it was already covered in the Constitution, but then again, laws are now needed to protect the rights provided by the Constitution for "theists" so it isn't a surprise, really. If memory serves, Atheism has been declared by the government as a religion, twice, and they have non-profit churches which clearly fit the profile of a religion.

I think it would be a much wiser use of time to simply enforce existing laws which are currently ignored.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:53 pm

Kerdy! Christmas came early!

I'd like to direct you to the thread entitled President Trump. You should probably ignore that one....
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Kerdy wrote:

Odd, a law would need to be passed for this when it was already covered in the Constitution, but then again, laws are now needed to protect the rights provided by the Constitution for "theists" so it isn't a surprise, really. If memory serves, Atheism has been declared by the government as a religion, twice, and they have non-profit churches which clearly fit the profile of a religion.

I think it would be a much wiser use of time to simply enforce existing laws which are currently ignored.
Kerdy! Holy smokes. Now we just need JesusClaus and the season can commence. It's Me-mas!

Where's the announcement about your return? And whaddya want for Me-mas, your deleted posts?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Rusty wrote:
Kerdy wrote:

Kerdy! Holy smokes. Now we just need JesusClaus and the season can commence. It's Me-mas!

Where's the announcement about your return? And whaddya want for Me-mas, your deleted posts?
And Rusty scores on an open net!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:13 pm

wsblevins wrote:

Specifically, the sad part is the feel good legislation that really doesn't do anything. This would have made more sense 50 years ago when non theists really were discriminated against. Then again, the Midwest and south might still discriminate against non theists, I don't know. I do remember being shocked when I went to the races in North Carolina where a preacher lead a clearly Christian prayer that ended in preaching and a sinners prayer invitation to thousands in the stadium. That gave me flashbacks and chills. But the culture is still oppressively Christian with a North Carolina flavor. I much prefer the west coast where religion is strictly a private affair and you're just as likely to see Buddhist statues as you are to see a cross. I'm a non theist, but I would rather see multi-theism than a single type of homogeneous monotheist religion. In the south and midwest, everyone appears to believe the same God and they wear camo while doing it! 8O

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Thunktank wrote:
wsblevins wrote:

Specifically, the sad part is the feel good legislation that really doesn't do anything. This would have made more sense 50 years ago when non theists really were discriminated against. Then again, the Midwest and south might still discriminate against non theists, I don't know. I do remember being shocked when I went to the races in North Carolina where a preacher lead a clearly Christian prayer that ended in preaching and a sinners prayer invitation to thousands in the stadium. That gave me flashbacks and chills. But the culture is still oppressively Christian with a North Carolina flavor. I much prefer the west coast where religion is strictly a private affair and you're just as likely to see Buddhist statues as you are to see a cross. I'm a non theist, but I would rather see multi-theism than a single type of homogeneous monotheist religion. In the south and midwest, everyone appears to believe the same God and they wear camo while doing it! 8O
Are you trying to pick a fight with somebody? I ought to show you some of your old 'believer' posts... :D
It's Romans 2:1 all over again. We still shouldn't judge. And the diversity is fine. Think of a visit as an exotic vacation to a foreign land. Different cultures are not different just to annoy us, ok?

Are you and your wife closer in belief or is she now more Christian than you? ... Inquiring minds
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

wsblevins
Usher
Usher

Post by wsblevins » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:12 pm

I'm still scratching my head and wondering why an atheist would want to participate in a Christian based forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
wsblevins wrote:

Are you trying to pick a fight with somebody? I ought to show you some of your old 'believer' posts... :D
It's Romans 2:1 all over again. We still shouldn't judge. And the diversity is fine. Think of a visit as an exotic vacation to a foreign land. Different cultures are not different just to annoy us, ok?

Are you and your wife closer in belief or is she now more Christian than you? ... Inquiring minds
My wife is a witch. A non theist witch. I'm half kidding as usual.

We are closer in belief, as in we both don't do that. Not picking a fight, just hedging the bushes that need hedging. See the above post? Yup, diversity is too exotic for some Xtians. I'm exposing it anyway, it's good practice for them. 8)
Last edited by Thunktank on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:25 pm

wsblevins wrote:I'm still scratching my head and wondering why an atheist would want to participate in a Christian based forum?

Because I have friends here. Some of us are non believers, former believers and so on. We respect your prayer requests, and even generally respect your right to believe. Occasionally we may challenge you, especially in a thread about us. :wink: that's a friendly wink by the way.

Christians are people too.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:33 pm

These days, the definition of atheist might include hater of everything (or at least most things) Christian it seems.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

wsblevins
Usher
Usher

Post by wsblevins » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Thunktank wrote:
wsblevins wrote:I'm still scratching my head and wondering why an atheist would want to participate in a Christian based forum?

Because I have friends here. Some of us are non believers, former believers and so on. We respect your prayer requests, and even generally respect your right to believe. Occasionally we may challenge you, especially in a thread about us. :wink: that's a friendly wink by the way.

SockPuppeh
brudr uv du bryr

Post by SockPuppeh » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:40 pm

wsblevins wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Dis caontdaon iz gong tu go rele fast.
ai fink derr4 ai whiddle

"May I ask if you are aware of the fact that you are attempting to act morally superior towards a digital manifestation of a dog made from a sock?" - A_Morley

sokpuppt uv du yer 2015 2016 2017 !!!

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:29 pm

They're the best forums. The most interesting & important things are often discussed here. Christians readily take on the toughest topics and all remain quite cordial and polite usually. And it's especially interesting because Christians see the world differently than we do. Is there a more interesting basis for discussion? We think this is ideal for good discussions. Diversity of views is very welcome and the forum is most interesting when there is a diverse membership. There are also a few ladies that post here too. Also there are subjects of common interest eg pipes and tobaccos and for one of us, evolution (he's an evangelist). BTW there are four of us here with varying degrees of skepticism to agnosticism to something approaching atheism (I'm not sure that atheism really exists). And no we're not the four horsemen of the apocalypse. One of the four was a Druid last year. We haven't pigeon-holed his latest worldview variation. One is an Aussie, one is a Canuck, and two are Americans. Consider us a friendly catch-basin that bridges worldviews.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:39 pm

What? Is this still a thing?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:40 pm

John-Boy wrote:What? Is this still a thing?
What's that?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:42 pm

Rusty wrote:
John-Boy wrote:What? Is this still a thing?
What's that?
Huh?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Rusty wrote:

They're the best forums. The most interesting & important things are often discussed here. Christians readily take on the toughest topics and all remain quite cordial and polite usually. And it's especially interesting because Christians see the world differently than we do. Is there a more interesting basis for discussion? We think this is ideal for good discussions. Diversity of views is very welcome and the forum is most interesting when there is a diverse membership. Also there are subjects of common interest eg pipes and tobaccos and for one of us, evolution (he's an evangelist). BTW there are four of us here with varying degrees of skepticism to agnosticism to atheism. One of the four was a Druid last year. We haven't pigeon-holed his latest worldview variation. Consider us a friendly catch-basin that bridges worldviews.
:lol:

"Christians readily take on the toughest topics and all remain quite cordial and polite usually."

I suppose in Canada you all are nice because you don't readily take on?

And you do know that I never was a Druid right? That was UB's invention of me. You ALL know that right?

I never practiced any other religion other than Christianity. Unless you consider learning about them a practice of them.

I have, for the last three to four years been an agnostic/atheist/nontheist/skeptic/naturalist. There are a few possible untraditional definitions of God I could get behind, but that's just a play on words. Nontheist is the best definition for me. I have played many things for fun around here. I thought you new that. :wink:

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:08 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Rusty wrote:

They're the best forums. The most interesting & important things are often discussed here. Christians readily take on the toughest topics and all remain quite cordial and polite usually. And it's especially interesting because Christians see the world differently than we do. Is there a more interesting basis for discussion? We think this is ideal for good discussions. Diversity of views is very welcome and the forum is most interesting when there is a diverse membership. Also there are subjects of common interest eg pipes and tobaccos and for one of us, evolution (he's an evangelist). BTW there are four of us here with varying degrees of skepticism to agnosticism to atheism. One of the four was a Druid last year. We haven't pigeon-holed his latest worldview variation. Consider us a friendly catch-basin that bridges worldviews.
:lol:

"Christians readily take on the toughest topics and all remain quite cordial and polite usually."

I suppose in Canada you all are nice because you don't readily take on?

And you do know that I never was a Druid right? That was UB's invention of me. You ALL know that right?

I never practiced any other religion other than Christianity. Unless you consider learning about them a practice of them.

I have, for the last three to four years been an agnostic/atheist/nontheist/skeptic/naturalist. There are a few possible untraditional definitions of God I could get behind, but that's just a play on words. Nontheist is the best definition for me. I have played many things for fun around here. I thought you new that. :wink:
He's a Druid, Rusty. Only the true Druid denies his Druidity.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.