For those deep thinkers out there.
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Re: A Common Date for Easter

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:17 am

Del wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:I'd prefer Easter to be celebrated subsequent to Passover like it used to be oh, so many years ago. Ah, c'est la vie.
:?
Whoops, I had a moment. My apologies.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Cleon wrote:
wosbald wrote:
Off Topic
+JMJ+

Finally, Cadbury can simply do a single run of Creme Eggs.
:dance:
First they only do a single run, we purchase them at 50% after western Easter.

Second they changed the recipe so not sure you'd still want them.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:25 pm

In agreement with the old date. Easter always happens the Sunday following the Feast of Passover. The reason the date hops around is that the Jewish calendar is based on a lunar cycle that must be recalibrated every two to three years by adding an additional month just before Nisan.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:08 pm

I came across this article written from an historian's perspective rather than a Christian perspective and I found it to be quite intriguing that the 'floating' nature of Easter, the astronomical nature of the date, is what causes the author to say it is "undeniably Christian".

So What Is Christian About Easter?

When I posted this thread originally I was looking at it purely from an ecumenical perspective. Could something like the fixed date of Easter act as a major step towards unity, etc. But I think I've drifted away from the fixed date idea and this article helps to explain it. I like the fact that Easter operates via lunar cycles and sometimes throws a monkey wrench into our secular calendar. I like that the date is tied to the sky rather than paper. I like not only the conceptual idea, but the natural/physical symbolism of light overcoming the darkness, aligning ourselves with the heavens as we all proclaim the glory of God in the resurrection of Jesus.
Freedom is coming...

"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis