Your Favorite C.S. Lewis Quotes

For those deep thinkers out there.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Your Favorite C.S. Lewis Quotes

Post by Goose55 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:47 am

Upon the death of his wife, C.S. Lewis wrote,

"Meanwhile, where is God? This is one of the most disquieting symptoms … But go to Him when your need is desperate, when all other help is in vain, and what do you find? A door slammed in your face, and a sound of bolting and double bolting on the inside."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:03 pm

"God does not love us because we are good. God makes us good because He loves us.' ~ C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:24 pm

"You have noticed, I expect, that Christ Himself sometimes describes the Christian way as very hard, sometimes as very easy. He says, “Take up your Cross”—in other words, it is like going to be beaten to death in a concentration camp. Next minute he says, “My yoke is easy and my burden light.” He means both. And one can just see why both are true."~ C.S.

:prayin:

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:03 am

"When a man is getting better he understands more and more clearly the evil that is still left in him. When a man is getting worse, he understands his own badness less and less." ~ C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:47 pm

"We must, therefore, not be surprised if we find among the Christians some people who are still nasty. There is even, when you come to think it over, a reason why nasty people might be expected to turn to Christ in greater numbers than nice ones. That was what people objected to about Christ during His life on earth: He seemed to attract ’such awful people’. That is what people still object to and always will. Do you not see why?

"[As for] the little, low, timid, warped, thin-blooded, lonely people, or the passionate, sensual, unbalanced people, if they make any attempt at goodness at all, they learn, in double quick time, that they need help. It is Christ or nothing for them. It is taking up the cross and following-or else despair."

CHAPTER 32, Mere Christianity
NICE PEOPLE OR NEW MEN

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:10 am

Many have posted some of their most favorite and helpful excerpts from Lewis' work. Here's another I recently found that speaks volumes:

"We must, therefore, not be surprised if we find among the Christians some people who are still nasty. There is even, when you come to think it over, a reason why nasty people might be expected to turn to Christ in greater numbers than nice ones. That was what people objected to about Christ during His life on earth: He seemed to attract ’such awful people’. That is what people still object to and always will. Do you not see why?"

~ Chapter 32, Mere Christianity, by CS Lewis

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:17 pm

"My fear was now of another kind. I felt sure that he creature was what we called 'good', but I wasn't sure whether I liked 'goodness' so much as I had supposed. This is a very terrible experience. As long as what you are afraid of is something evil, you may still hope that the good may come to your rescue. But suppose you struggle through to the good and find that it also is dreadful? How if food itself turns out to be the very thing you can't eat, and home the very place you can't live, and your very comforter the person who makes you uncomfortable? Then, indeed, there is no rescue possible: the last card has been played.”
― C.S. Lewis, Perelandra
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:25 pm

“If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.”

― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:55 am

C.S. Lewis on Bad Men & Good Men

“When a man is getting better he understands more and more clearly the evil that is still left in him. When a man is getting worse, he understands his own badness less and less. A moderately bad man knows he is not very good: a thoroughly bad man thinks he is all right.

This is common sense, really. You understand sleep when you are awake, not while you are sleeping. You can see mistakes in arithmetic when your mind is working properly: while you are making them you cannot see them. You can understand the nature of drunkenness when you are sober, not when you are drunk. Good people know about both good and evil: bad people do not know about either.” ~ Mere Christianity

EvilGoose55
Congregation
Congregation

Post by EvilGoose55 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Are you a real goose? Post a pic of you pooping on a golf course or I'm calling Bullpucky.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm

EvilGoose55 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53 pm
Are you a real goose? Post a pic of you pooping on a golf course or I'm calling Bullpucky.
I don't recall Jack ever saying that.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:33 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm
EvilGoose55 wrote:
I don't trust a new member/ poster that does not introduce him or herself first. It's been reported to admin.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:33 pm
John-Boy wrote:
EvilGoose55 wrote:
I don't trust a new member/ poster that does not introduce him or herself first. It's been reported to admin.
And subsequently ignored.

Play on.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Skip wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:33 pm
John-Boy wrote:
EvilGoose55 wrote:
And subsequently ignored.

Play on.
LOL!
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:39 pm

"...the..." -C. S. Lewis

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

"...is..." -C.S. Lewis

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

"...and..." -C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:20 am

“No doubt Pain as God's megaphone is a terrible instrument; [yet] it may lead to final and un-repented rebellion. But it gives the only opportunity the bad man can have for amendment. It removes the veil; it plants the flag of truth within the fortress of a rebel soul.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:29 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:20 am
“No doubt Pain as God's megaphone is a terrible instrument; [yet] it may lead to final and un-repented rebellion. But it gives the only opportunity the bad man can have for amendment. It removes the veil; it plants the flag of truth within the fortress of a rebel soul.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
You aren't just in this for the smiting, are you?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.