Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: Annoying Christians - I get it

Post by Thunktank » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:51 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:34 pm
Lego Batman Movie criticised as “pro-gay propaganda” by conservative blog
The new Lego Batman Movie has come under fire from Catholic evangelists who have slammed the film as “pro-gay propaganda”.

John Henry Westen, Canadian Editor-in-chief of the socially conservative website LifeSiteNews.com, posted a review of the film titled “BEWARE: LEGO Batman movie promotes gay adoption”. He criticised the creators for being “so anxious to subtly indoctrinate the little ones into the gender ideology that making it humorous came as a distant second thought.”

LifeSiteNews is part of the Campaign Life Coalition, an anti-abortion, anti-same-sex marriage political lobbyist organisation.
He's Canadian? That means I can have him 'offed'. Now there's a an idea.... Nah it's not worth it. He's a lightning rod for controversy. Even Canadian Catholics don't like him. Do you guys want him? I can also 'extreme rendition' the fella. He'd be happier as an American. He's tweeting that he wants folks to pray for Trump... ok that's it.

He's not too happy with Pope Francis; imagine that? Confusing even the devout: the troubling statements of Pope Francis

How about a $1 per LB? That's a bargain.

Gee he lives near me too.
AFRS is another one who I think would be happier in America, especially deep red state America.
It’s almost believable, but I love it most of the time whether it’s true or not.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:04 pm

Lenten Prayer of St. Ephraim

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk.

But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant.

Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Why Octavia Spencer isn’t buying into ‘The Shack’s’ God controversy
Based on the controversial, best-selling novel by William Paul Young, the film, like the book for the past decade, is coming under attack from certain quarters for portraying God as a black woman, the rest of the Trinity multiculturally and espousing a loving, forgiving biblical interpretation and ecumenical spiritualism at odds with harsher, more sin-and-repentance-focused religious doctrine.

In December, The Washington Post quoted a Christian News Network interview with the Rev. Joe Schimmel in which he said “Young’s pretentious caricature of God as a heavy set, cushy, nonjudgmental, African-American woman called ‘Papa’ (who resembles the New Agey Oprah Winfrey far more than the one true God revealed through the Lord Jesus Christ — Hebrews 1:1-3), and his depiction of the Holy Spirit as a frail Asian woman with the Hindu name, Sarayu, lends itself to a dangerous and false image of God and idolatry.”
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Paying Taxes is a SIn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3amPgt9GTY

I really hope this is a hoax.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 am

Blessed be the annoying for the Kingdom of Snark belongs to such as their antagonists. - Said Jesus, never.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 am
Blessed be the annoying for the Kingdom of Snark belongs to such as their antagonists. - Said Jesus, never.
Kind of like when he said, "Render to Caesar nothing for it is sin."

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 am

I'm the guy in charge of the thermostat on Sunday mornings. Did you know the temperature in the sanctuary has to be PERFECT or worship is impossible?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:22 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 am
I'm the guy in charge of the thermostat on Sunday mornings. Did you know the temperature in the sanctuary has to be PERFECT or worship is impossible?
I'd heard that. But needed verification. Thanks, broski.
DL Jake

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:29 pm

This morning I had breakfast with a couple of people who were important to my Orthodox Christian life. I shared with them how I have begun a return to church and life with faith. They asked me where I was going to church now, I replied that I'm attending a Byzantine Catholic Church for the time being. The Byzantines Catholics practice and believe virtually identically to the Eastern Orthodox. Anyway, they weren't happy for me or encouraging. I probably could have said I was attending a Mormon Church and got a similar response. I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was anyway. :(
It’s almost believable, but I love it most of the time whether it’s true or not.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:29 pm
This morning I had breakfast with a couple of people who were important to my Orthodox Christian life. I shared with them how I have begun a return to church and life with faith. They asked me where I was going to church now, I replied that I'm attending a Byzantine Catholic Church for the time being. The Byzantines Catholics practice and believe virtually identically to the Eastern Orthodox. Anyway, they weren't happy for me or encouraging. I probably could have said I was attending a Mormon Church and got a similar response. I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was anyway. :(
What the heck did you expect? I'm not saying it was right, we all know it was not. But what the heck did you expect? Joy for you in what they could only take as apostasy? It's a shame more don't take joy in other's joy, though. I hope you guys remain friends.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:31 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:46 pm
Thunktank wrote:
What the heck did you expect? I'm not saying it was right, we all know it was not. But what the heck did you expect? Joy for you in what they could only take as apostasy? It's a shame more don't take joy in other's joy, though. I hope you guys remain friends.
I typed a long response then deleted it. I guess I expected old friends to at least respect my inquiry of truth no matter how imperfect I am. Schism is worse than heresy I think. :(

I was hoping my son's Orthodox godfather would like to, in some capacity reinstate his active role in my son's life so that he could be an influence on his faith.

Gee, why did I end up in real apostasy? Crap like this didn't help, I'll tell you what!

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:31 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
I typed a long response then deleted it. I guess I expected old friends to at least respect my inquiry of truth no matter how imperfect I am. Schism is worse than heresy I think. :(

I was hoping my son's Orthodox godfather would like to, in some capacity reinstate his active role in my son's life so that he could be an influence on his faith.

Gee, why did I end up in real apostasy? Crap like this didn't help, I'll tell you what!
You didn't end up in apostasty. People are goofy. No kindness outside shared theology is wrong. One of my godfathers is an Episcopalian and he took care of me.

For what it's worth, remember it's a personal path. Every time I want to punch someone out, I think it might be an encounter with Christ.

And I'm sorry, thunk. A man who is almost as wise as he thinks he is once said to me that, and I quote, "most Christians are kinda, you know, dicks." I've found this to be pretty universally true.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:06 pm

+JMJ+
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:31 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Sad to say that a considerable portion of the laity are either theologically ignorant or lazy, and this goes for Catholic as well as Orthodox.

Maybe try linking them to Dr Hart's piece, "The Myth of Schism". If you recall, we had a thread on it.

That should be good enough to get a reaction. Whether a good or a bad reaction, I dunno.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Thunktank wrote:
This seriously harshes my buzz.
DL Jake