For those deep thinkers out there.
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Annoying Christians - I get it

Post by wosbald » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:32 am

+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Cleon wrote:A couple of weeks ago, my elderly mom received Image in the mail.
I had to look up that Chick tract.
"Look it up"? All you had to do was click the pic. Cleon set you up for the win.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:45 am

Tuttle,

This is what the church calls "proselytizing."

:chili:
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:30 pm

Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Nice that they gave her this "tip" after they were served and filled their bellies (if this is REAL). The "make America great again" at the end makes me suspicious that this is a set up to poke at Trump and go viral. Worse, I suppose, would be that this is REAL. I dunno. The interwebs has jaded me.

I will say I don't like that people have the world an easy audience for such a trivial, local event. I mean, the note was left on a napkin in a diner in Greenville. The WWW has given an easy audience to too many people.
I knew people (back in the '90's) who felt it was their duty to leave tracts in lieu of money for waitresses because "..what's more kind than telling someone about Jesus?"
Yeah.

A couple of weeks ago, my elderly mom received Image in the mail.

The envelope was addressed to her with a scripture verse in the return address. Talk about annoying (and cowardly). Mom's not even Catholic. Sheesh.
:confused: :egor: 8O

Why!?!?!?
It’s almost believable, but I love it most of the time whether it’s true or not.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:39 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Cleon wrote:A couple of weeks ago, my elderly mom received Image in the mail.
I had to look up that Chick tract.
"Look it up"? All you had to do was click the pic. Cleon set you up for the win.
:dance:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Nice that they gave her this "tip" after they were served and filled their bellies (if this is REAL). The "make America great again" at the end makes me suspicious that this is a set up to poke at Trump and go viral. Worse, I suppose, would be that this is REAL. I dunno. The interwebs has jaded me.

I will say I don't like that people have the world an easy audience for such a trivial, local event. I mean, the note was left on a napkin in a diner in Greenville. The WWW has given an easy audience to too many people.
I knew people (back in the '90's) who felt it was their duty to leave tracts in lieu of money for waitresses because "..what's more kind than telling someone about Jesus?"
Yeah.

The envelope was addressed to her with a scripture verse in the return address. Talk about annoying (and cowardly). Mom's not even Catholic. Sheesh.

Why!?!?!?
Cause it's the easy way out. Chick(en) Tracts

I get the essence of the tract. I understand. I'm not Roman Catholic. I don't venerate Mary and I don't want my mom to either.

BUT I don't like the corny method of delivery and I don't like the faceless sender. It's cold and uncaring. Impersonal to the max. There was no intent to interact or discuss or any attempt to get to know my mom. They basically wasted their time and resources and deserve a big ol' eye roll.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:04 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Yeah.

Why!?!?!?

I get the essence of the tract. I understand. I'm not Roman Catholic. I don't venerate Mary and I don't want my mom to either.

BUT I don't like the corny method of delivery and I don't like the faceless sender. It's cold and uncaring. Impersonal to the max. There was no intent to interact or discuss or any attempt to get to know my mom. They basically wasted their time and resources and deserve a big ol' eye roll.
One time my Mother in Law gave me a tract (I think produced by her church) which contained a picture of a mountain of books, on the top of the mountain stood in radiant glory a book with K.J.V. written on the spine and a glowing crown atop its cover. Off to the side were some books that were created by the devil, which included the book of Mormon, the Koran, and the NIV, and a handful of other English bible versions.

As she knew that I was a Christian when she gave it to me, I can only assume this was the page intended for me...or maybe she questioned my salvation. Either way, we've never broached the subject, which has me wondering if the people who pass this stuff out aren't looking for this flit-erature to 'save' anyone, but that they have some weird notion that just simply handing this crap out is a fulfillment of some kind of duty laid upon them by their cults churches. It's almost like a passive way of saying "I've done my part, Lord knows. If they do burn in hell, at least they don't have an excuse!"
Freedom is coming...

"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:33 pm

tuttle wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Yeah.

Why!?!?!?

One time my Mother in Law gave me a tract (I think produced by her church) which contained a picture of a mountain of books, on the top of the mountain stood in radiant glory a book with K.J.V. written on the spine and a glowing crown atop its cover. Off to the side were some books that were created by the devil, which included the book of Mormon, the Koran, and the NIV, and a handful of other English bible versions.

As she knew that I was a Christian when she gave it to me, I can only assume this was the page intended for me...or maybe she questioned my salvation. Either way, we've never broached the subject, which has me wondering if the people who pass this stuff out aren't looking for this flit-erature to 'save' anyone, but that they have some weird notion that just simply handing this crap out is a fulfillment of some kind of duty laid upon them by their cults churches. It's almost like a passive way of saying "I've done my part, Lord knows. If they do burn in hell, at least they don't have an excuse!"
LOL! MILs blech. In Christian terms, Satan is in possession of most MIL. But it's not limited to Christian MILs.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Rusty wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Yeah.

Why!?!?!?

LOL! MILs blech. In Christian terms, Satan is in possession of most MIL. But it's not limited to Christian MILs.
At least it wasn't the tract that looks like money. That one adds a new level of both corny and mean. They should be fed to goats and the goats then fed to coco.

(The tracts, not the people who send them).
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Yeah.

Why!?!?!?

I don't get the essence at all. It's false.

Giving out tracts isn't nearly as bad as what is written inside this one. It willfully misrepresents what Catholics actually believe about Mary and why. It's horrible and represents the small minds of those who write them.
It’s almost believable, but I love it most of the time whether it’s true or not.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:37 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:00 pm

This is not an uncommon practice. The fat people part, not the apology part.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:30 pm

Whoa!
Just read the Chick tract.

That is one hate-filled, angry, twisted-up person.
I see no evidence of love of any kind.

Let's pray few ever see his bilge.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:12 am

Cleon wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Yeah.

Why!?!?!?

I never, ever in a million years would have ever even thought that I would ever have an icon of the Theotokos in my home, let alone venerate her and pray a prayer on prayer rope "Most holy Theotokos, save us"

BEFORE ANYONE GASP..

(Save as in 'intercede' not as Christ saves)

This chick-tract is as twisted and bizarre as the rest of those tracts they publish.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Freedom is coming...

"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:55 pm

For his sake, I hope Goose is right.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Italian priest blames earthquakes that have killed hundreds and left tens of thousands homeless on gay unions
Cavalcoli said on Radio Maria that the seismic shocks were “divine punishment” for “the offence to the family and the dignity of marriage, in particular through civil unions”.

The radio station distanced itself from his views with the Vatican also quick to come out with a stinging rebuke, saying the idea of a vengeful God was ‘a pagan vision’ dating from ‘the pre-Christian era’.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:05 pm

UncleBob wrote:Italian priest blames earthquakes that have killed hundreds and left tens of thousands homeless on gay unions
Cavalcoli said on Radio Maria that the seismic shocks were “divine punishment” for “the offence to the family and the dignity of marriage, in particular through civil unions”.

The radio station distanced itself from his views with the Vatican also quick to come out with a stinging rebuke, saying the idea of a vengeful God was ‘a pagan vision’ dating from ‘the pre-Christian era’.
Boss' last day already, Bob?

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:36 pm

JimVH wrote:
I just finished unpacking that triple-negative. Cool, that. The triple-negative, not the fat people part.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:20 pm

JimVH wrote:
For the record, I have never been asked to be on the worship team.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:42 pm

coco wrote:
JimVH wrote:
For the record, I have never been asked to be on the worship team.
I did a quick word-search of the Bible. I didn't find any reference to "worship team."

I gather that "worship team" is Evangelicalese for "choir & musicians." I recommend that you do as we do -- hide them in a loft, up high and in the back. They don't need to be seen to be heard.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4