Everlasting Souls Writhing In Eternal Flames?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Sanchez
Salted Nutmeats of Upper Cornholeshire

Re: Everlasting Souls Writhing In Eternal Flames?

Post by Sanchez » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:12 pm

For I am a poor and a wretched boy:
A chimbley, chimbley sweep.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:08 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:51 pm
SockPuppeh wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:01 pm
dat iz nawt fune

dat iz sad
Goose,

Every once in a while we get a slow learner. I have to give you credit, you win the prize for the slowest we've had.

I'm not sure you've noticed, but you've had one moderator and one administrator on this thread giving you grief. Why? Because you refuse to get it.

When I took the time to tell you you were out of line and why, you stuck your nose in the sand and pretended it was meaningless and continuing right on your merry way. Do I actually have to tell you that it was a warning? Because it was a warning. Knock it off.

Now we have sock puppets all over the forum gleefully dancing because you don't get it. Action equals reaction, you see. Consequences, if you will. You're bringing this on yourself and everybody else here has to deal with it, too. Why not stop?

Just behave. Be the good guy I know you are. Or, alternatively, continue to wreck the place and see what happens. But that doesn't make any sense, does it?
I'm playing with the sock puppets, Drax.
And I'm telling you to stop it. Is that clear enough for you? I don't care why you're doing it. Stop doing it, please.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:35 pm
Rusty wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:29 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:06 am
EvilGoose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:45 am
Super_Secret_Santa wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:25 am
Sanchez wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:32 am
Fainn wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 pm
Sockpuppeh always brightens my day.
Let me sleep on your floor. You won't even know I'm there.
Not a chance, demon. Back! Back, I say!
Rusty tells me that a suitably adjusted laser pointer will scatter any demon.
But Rusty speaks in tongues with his damn cross-sections and barns.

You boys are agitating the spawn of hell. They're worse than the alt-right-not-right.
My boy Goose has given the clarion honk and summoned the pups from the depths of Hell. Look upon your handiwork, O Goose, and despair!

Come, Busty! Come Jesus-Claus. Come Cletus. Come Burpcloth. Come Mrs. Zed. Come, Sock Puppets Goose has released us. We have much to thank him for. Let's show him how grateful we are!

N.B. It really doesn't do to not believe in any hell except the one you create, other Goose.
This thread is a fitting place for sock puppets.
"Be quiet, and come out of him!"
That's what I tell them, all the time. But such are not able to be cast out except by prayer and fasting.
Drax is right. You're incorrigible.
Do you think that anybody's prayer's or fasting could separate you from your Goose55 id and persona as if it exists independently of you? No, and we don't expect that. So maybe you should reconsider the status of the sock-puppets. Respect the sock-puppets. They usually liven up the place in interesting ways.

The sock puppets are integrated personalities & as REAL as you and I. This isn't a hard concept. Nothing whatsoever will pull their personalities out of their user ids. Surely this is obvious? ... You might try greeting them when you log on in the morning. Simple courtesy..... "Good morning, Sock Puppets!" Try it.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:26 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:35 pm
Rusty wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:29 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:06 am
EvilGoose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:45 am
Super_Secret_Santa wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:25 am
Sanchez wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:32 am
Fainn wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 pm
Sockpuppeh always brightens my day.
Let me sleep on your floor. You won't even know I'm there.
Not a chance, demon. Back! Back, I say!
Rusty tells me that a suitably adjusted laser pointer will scatter any demon.
But Rusty speaks in tongues with his damn cross-sections and barns.

You boys are agitating the spawn of hell. They're worse than the alt-right-not-right.
My boy Goose has given the clarion honk and summoned the pups from the depths of Hell. Look upon your handiwork, O Goose, and despair!

Come, Busty! Come Jesus-Claus. Come Cletus. Come Burpcloth. Come Mrs. Zed. Come, Sock Puppets Goose has released us. We have much to thank him for. Let's show him how grateful we are!

N.B. It really doesn't do to not believe in any hell except the one you create, other Goose.
This thread is a fitting place for sock puppets.
"Be quiet, and come out of him!"
That's what I tell them, all the time. But such are not able to be cast out except by prayer and fasting.
Drax is right. You're incorrigible.
Do you think that anybody's prayer's or fasting could separate you from your Goose55 id and persona as if it exists independently of you? No, and we don't expect that. So maybe you should reconsider the status of the sock-puppets. Respect the sock-puppets. They usually liven up the place in interesting ways.

The sock puppets are integrated personalities & as REAL as you and I. This isn't a hard concept. Nothing whatsoever will pull their personalities out of their user ids. Surely this is obvious? ... You might try greeting them when you log on in the morning. Simple courtesy..... "Good morning, Sock Puppets!" Try it.
No Barney Fife "Nip it, nip it in the bud" greetings?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Congratulations, Goose. You've pushed beyond the point of human kindness. You now have an official board warning. I would point you to section 1(b) of the terms of service: Flamebaiting is making statements intended to cause an angry or emotional response/flame from the person.

You've been warned and you have failed to apologize or refrain from making statements designed to annoy a fellow member.

We thank you for your continued participation and sincerely hope you will learn the ropes of CPS.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:53 pm
Congratulations, Goose. You've pushed beyond the point of human kindness. You now have an official board warning. I would point you to section 1(b) of the terms of service: Flamebaiting is making statements intended to cause an angry or emotional response/flame from the person.

You've been warned and you have failed to apologize or refrain from making statements designed to annoy a fellow member.

We thank you for your continued participation and sincerely hope you will learn the ropes of CPS.
There are many sock puppets, and I do not know who they are. The funny Barney Fife "Nip it in the bud" clip was not directed at any specific fellow member to annoy them, nor was it intended to be.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:53 pm

There are many sock puppets, and I do not know who they are. The funny Barney Fife "Nip it in the bud" clip was not directed at any specific fellow member to annoy them, nor was it intended to be.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=9&p=1160051#p1160051 .

Congratulations, Goose. That's two in one day, a new CPS record. It's very silly to quote a moderator's response, post an insulting clip, and then claim it wasn't directed at him.

I don't understand this recalcitrance. Why can't you apologize or mitigate your actions in any way? Why this injured innocence approach?

Why not just behave? Why not see that you're insulting someone and say "whoops, didn't mean to."?

Please just be a friendly paricipant.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:24 am

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 pm

+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:10 am
wosbald wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:13 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:50 pm
I for one will always treasure the memory of what St Nicolas did to Arius at the Council of Nicaea.

I love that look of beneficent lugubriosity on St Nick's face as he opens up a can o' whoop-ass on Arius.
Oh yeah. I want this icon in my man cave, right up there on the wall next to Favre's jersey.

John Calvin, I'm sorry.
That dolefully solicitous look on St Nick's face made me suspect there might be more to the traditional iconography than is implied in much of internet memery.

Let’s Stop Celebrating St. Nicholas Punching Arius

One, he didn’t do it. Two, it wouldn’t be such a great thing if he had.

[…]

As the old Catholic Encyclopedia notes, it’s doubtful St. Nicholas was even at Nicea, since the historical lists of bishops that attended that council don’t include him. Instead, Nicholas is linked to the Council by much later hagiographical works written over half a millennium after Nicholas died.

According to Roger Pearse, editor of the Tertullian Project, the account of the violent incident at Nicea apparently shows up first over a thousand years after the Council, in a 14th-century work.

Even then, it isn’t Arius himself that Nicholas supposedly struck, but only “a certain Arian.” That story wasn’t good enough, though, so a couple of centuries later another writer changed it to Arius himself.

Note, too, that the medieval accounts have Nicholas slapping — not punching — the heretic. The story describes a medicinal slap or a rebuke, an attempt to “slap him back to his senses” rather than an expression of contempt or a wish to harm, as a punch certainly would be.

As such, the moment is celebrated in Greek iconography. When I say “Let’s stop celebrating St. Nicholas punching Arius,” I don’t mean to demean this tradition in Greek iconography. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:57 pm

wosbald wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 pm
+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
wosbald wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
I for one will always treasure the memory of what St Nicolas did to Arius at the Council of Nicaea.

I love that look of beneficent lugubriosity on St Nick's face as he opens up a can o' whoop-ass on Arius.
Oh yeah. I want this icon in my man cave, right up there on the wall next to Favre's jersey.

John Calvin, I'm sorry.
That dolefully solicitous look on St Nick's face made me suspect there might be more to the traditional iconography than is implied in much of internet memery.

[…]

As the old Catholic Encyclopedia notes, it’s doubtful St. Nicholas was even at Nicea, since the historical lists of bishops that attended that council don’t include him. Instead, Nicholas is linked to the Council by much later hagiographical works written over half a millennium after Nicholas died.

According to Roger Pearse, editor of the Tertullian Project, the account of the violent incident at Nicea apparently shows up first over a thousand years after the Council, in a 14th-century work.

Even then, it isn’t Arius himself that Nicholas supposedly struck, but only “a certain Arian.” That story wasn’t good enough, though, so a couple of centuries later another writer changed it to Arius himself.

Note, too, that the medieval accounts have Nicholas slapping — not punching — the heretic. The story describes a medicinal slap or a rebuke, an attempt to “slap him back to his senses” rather than an expression of contempt or a wish to harm, as a punch certainly would be.

As such, the moment is celebrated in Greek iconography. When I say “Let’s stop celebrating St. Nicholas punching Arius,” I don’t mean to demean this tradition in Greek iconography. …
So, what's your point?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Sanchez

Post by Sanchez » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:04 pm

These no shamed.
Made returning.
What the perhaps thought world one response;
Yet my has I one returned to.
If that;
Up true without since if hear.
This fear answer tongue flicker alive to;
I would but of;
Of I being but to were cease from flame is depths
For I am a poor and a wretched boy:
A chimbley, chimbley sweep.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:05 am

Is it too late to get in on this?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:43 am

This point may have already been made, but just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=eFTLKWw542g
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:37 pm

Skip wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:57 pm
wosbald wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 pm
+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
wosbald wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

John Calvin, I'm sorry.

[…]

So, what's your point?
Makes me wonder if Arius really did crap his guts out too.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am

‘I can indeed hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my Father, Brother, and almost all my best friends, will be everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine.’ ~ Charles Darwin

This is was one of many critical comments about Christianity penned by Darwin in his memoirs. This is all news to me. I had the impression that he was estranged from faith but wasn't a critic. But his family was horrified by his actual views on religion and edited most of the religious criticism for his memoirs published after he passed away. It was only in 1958 that his grand-daughter published the autobiography intact with the critical comments on religion restored.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am
‘I can indeed hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my Father, Brother, and almost all my best friends, will be everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine.’ ~ Charles Darwin

This is was one of many critical comments about Christianity penned by Darwin in his memoirs. This is all news to me. I had the impression that he was estranged from faith but wasn't a critic. But his family was horrified by his actual views on religion and edited most of the religious criticism for his memoirs published after he passed away. It was only in 1958 that his grand-daughter published the autobiography intact with the critical comments on religion restored.
I agree with Darwin on that. But I wish you'd have left this thread to die off. Last time I posted in it I got spanked really bad.

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 am
Rusty wrote:

I agree with Darwin on that. But I wish you'd have left this thread to die off. Last time I posted in it I got spanked really bad.
Goose, when you first arrived you had a tendency to start a thread then post to it daily to keep it on the front page, even if nobody other than you gave a rodent's nethers about the topic. We seem to have broken you of that habit, and now threads you start with topics in which people are interested will remain afloat based upon the interest of those here. You're under no obligation to post in them anymore, and the system is ...

... working as intended.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:03 am

Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:

That's like one of my kids trying to tell me they got spanked because we have cookies and we should throw them out, never mentioning the fact they got spanked because they hooked them out of the cupboard.

Spankings are not spontaneous occurrences, Goose. You can prevent them, you know.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 am

Skip wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 am
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Goose, when you first arrived you had a tendency to start a thread then post to it daily to keep it on the front page, even if nobody other than you gave a rodent's nethers about the topic. We seem to have broken you of that habit, and now threads you start with topics in which people are interested will remain afloat based upon the interest of those here. You're under no obligation to post in them anymore, and the system is ...

... working as intended.
Understood and agreed.