Everlasting Souls Writhing In Eternal Flames?

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Re: Everlasting Souls Writhing In Eternal Flames?

Post by Jester » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 am
Rusty wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am
‘I can indeed hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my Father, Brother, and almost all my best friends, will be everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine.’ ~ Charles Darwin

This is was one of many critical comments about Christianity penned by Darwin in his memoirs. This is all news to me. I had the impression that he was estranged from faith but wasn't a critic. But his family was horrified by his actual views on religion and edited most of the religious criticism for his memoirs published after he passed away. It was only in 1958 that his grand-daughter published the autobiography intact with the critical comments on religion restored.
I agree with Darwin on that. But I wish you'd have left this thread to die off. Last time I posted in it I got spanked really bad.
In fact you do NOT agree with Darwin on this. Darwin clearly states that the logical conclusion of the clear text is that those who do not believe will be everlastingly punished.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 am

I am persuaded to believe that St. Nicholas did some aggression at the Council of Niceae, and he was reprimanded for it.

While the details of the story may have grown over the centuries, St. Nicholas has not often inspired Apostolic Christians to do violence -- and neither has Jesus's clearing of the Temple.

These examples of righteous anger have inspired good Christians to stand up against lies, heresies, and sacrilege. More often than not, those standing for truth were persecuted or martyred by the heretics.
Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:37 pm
Makes me wonder if Arius really did crap his guts out too.
There is a thread running through Scripture and sacred history of those defying God with seeming success -- and then suffering from violent distress of the bowels.

A few examples from Scripture:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... sion=NIVUK

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Herre you go Goose. The gate of hell and you can asked the deceased yourself http://www.ginalanier.com/hauntedplaces.php
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:23 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 pm
Herre you go Goose. The gate of hell and you can asked the deceased yourself http://www.ginalanier.com/hauntedplaces.php
I should prob mention there are plenty of passages in the Bible warning against this.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 am

Here's a thought for you Goose:

If there is some sort of annihilation/cessation of existence for those who don't get into heaven, then one of three things must occur:
1. Those who didn't get into heaven manage to pay for their sins in their temporary hell without the assistance of Jesus Christ (at which point, they would theoretically qualify for heaven purely through their own efforts, but they get annihilated anyway), or
2. Jesus pays for their sins after they spend some time in a temporary hell (at which point, they would theoretically qualify for heaven based on Jesus' sacrifice, but they get annihilated anyway), or
3. Sins are committed that are never paid for and God's perfect justice is compromised.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 am

+JMJ+
Sir Moose wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 am

If there is some sort of annihilation/cessation of existence for those who don't get into heaven, then one of three things must occur:
1. Those who didn't get into heaven manage to pay for their sins in their temporary hell without the assistance of Jesus Christ (at which point, they would theoretically qualify for heaven purely through their own efforts, but they get annihilated anyway), or
2. Jesus pays for their sins after they spend some time in a temporary hell (at which point, they would theoretically qualify for heaven based on Jesus' sacrifice, but they get annihilated anyway), or
3. Sins are committed that are never paid for and God's perfect justice is compromised.
Now that's a new one, right there. "Sure. I could utterly annihilate you from existence, but I'd hafta punish you infinitely first. Cuz if my Justice found out that I let you get off scot-free, mesa be in big trouble okee-day."

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:45 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 am
+JMJ+
Sir Moose wrote:

Now that's a new one, right there. "Sure. I could utterly annihilate you from existence, but I'd hafta punish you infinitely first. Cuz if my Justice found out that I let you get off scot-free, mesa be in big trouble okee-day."
I am troubled that your imitation of Jesus resembles that of Jar-jar Binks.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:01 am

Jester wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:45 am
wosbald wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 am
+JMJ+
Sir Moose wrote:

I am troubled that your imitation of Jesus resembles that of Jar-jar Binks.
Gungan heresy.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

JesusClaus
Congregation
Congregation

Post by JesusClaus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:25 am

Somebody's getting raptor poo this year!
Oh, you better watch out, you better not sin....

But I am puzzled by the reaction to this thread. Jesus Claus and his Me-mas is genius. Pure genius. - Rusty

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:54 am

Sir Moose wrote:

I don't see how any of these logically follow. How would suffering in Hell (for any duration) "pay for" sins? Why is "God's perfect justice" only retributive?
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:12 am

Sir Moose wrote:

But we may also just let scripture speak for itself, as to what happens (Revelation 20:9):

"And they [the wicked] went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:12 am
Sir Moose wrote:

But we may also just let scripture speak for itself, as to what happens (Revelation 20:9):

"And they [the wicked] went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them."
So you're saying we should just see that Jerusalem will be saved, and the wicked killed by fire. Ok. I can do that.

The souls of the wicked will be going to hell, though.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:06 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 am
Goose55 wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

So you're saying we should just see that Jerusalem will be saved, and the wicked killed by fire. Ok. I can do that.

That is if you believe we have souls, instead of being a soul.

Genesis 2:7,...
"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:12 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:06 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
Interesting. I might have put a finger on the difference between the ways we read. I see allegory there. Perhaps you don't.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:12 am
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

Interesting. I might have put a finger on the difference between the ways we read. I see allegory there. Perhaps you don't.
"The *soul that sinneth, it shall die." ~ Ezekiel 18:20

*The KJV translates Strong's H5315 [nephesh] in the following manner: soul (475x), life (117x), person (29x), mind (15x), heart (15x), creature (9x),

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:24 am

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:32 am

Fainn wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 pm
Looks like everyday in New Orleans is Halloween.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:12 am
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

"The *soul that sinneth, it shall die." ~ Ezekiel 18:20

*The KJV translates Strong's H5315 [nephesh] in the following manner: soul (475x), life (117x), person (29x), mind (15x), heart (15x), creature (9x),
Do you have a thought mixed in there somewhere? Why deny Jesus' words for old testament prophets?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 am

Just got my daily verse, Matthew 10:28

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in Hell.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Last edited by UncleBob on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS