Reformation at 500

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Reformation at 500

Post by tuttle » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:17 am

So the 500th anniversary of the Reformation will take place next year (October 2017) but much has already been said/written/etc leading up to it. I assume only more will be written and said now that it's only a year away. I figure we can use this thread for those kinds of discussion.

To begin, I came across this piece today, written from the point of view of a Reformed believer who writes often about Christian worship in that tradition. He's responding to a question but gives a rather lengthy and well thought out answer, providing a very nice plan for the following year as we approach the commemoration of the Reformation

Commemorating the Reformation for the 500th Time

Though he's writing to a reformed believer in a protestant magazine, I think this would be a good read for Catholics contemplating this event as well. I'd be interested to hear a Catholic take on it.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Re: Reformation 500

Post by AFRS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:44 am

<dissapointed> I was expecting cars.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Reformation at 500

Post by UncleBob » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:47 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:05 am

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor. Real wrath-of-God type stuff!
Venkman: Exactly.
Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes!
Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Venkman: Human sacrifice! Protestants and Catholics living together! Mass hysteria!
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:32 am

tuttle wrote:So the 500th anniversary of the Reformation will take place next year (October 2017) but much has already been said/written/etc leading up to it. I assume only more will be written and said now that it's only a year away. I figure we can use this thread for those kinds of discussion.

To begin, I came across this piece today, written from the point of view of a Reformed believer who writes often about Christian worship in that tradition. He's responding to a question but gives a rather lengthy and well thought out answer, providing a very nice plan for the following year as we approach the commemoration of the Reformation

Commemorating the Reformation for the 500th Time

Though he's writing to a reformed believer in a protestant magazine, I think this would be a good read for Catholics contemplating this event as well. I'd be interested to hear a Catholic take on it.

This is a very thoughtful piece, Tuttle. Thanks for posting it.

There is a lovely "emblem" of the thread of meaning woven throughout the piece (the essential unity of the Body of Christ, a celebration of shared joys and a lamentation of past conflicts) contained in the life of one of the scholars mentioned several times:

Church historian, Mark Noll, was first a student and for 27 years a professor at Evangelical bastion,Wheaton College. For a little over a decade he has been a professor at Notre Dame.

In both institutions he has been both celebrated and castigated for his lifelong devotion to the belief that the divisions we see in the churches are not representative of the heart of The Church, which is unified in Jesus. He has lived for years on that "Protestant-Catholic" boundary so often mentioned in the linked article and, I believe, prayed fervently (like many others I have known) most of his life for that boundary to become less and less of an impediment to both empathy and unity.

The quality that most drew me to this forum was the diversity of Christian (and even agnostic) views represented here. I truly believe the sort of dialogue wished for by the author was present here long before the opportunity presented by the upcoming commemorative year and will continue long after.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:45 pm

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:10 pm

"And the pope has already announced his intent to mark the occasion by worshiping not in Rome but in a Lutheran church in Sweden."

Sweden? Is Wittenberg Germany still somewhat hostile to Popes or is he attracted to irreligion? The Swedes are waaay past Lutheran.

Ok who among you will nail the 95 theses to the local Catholic church door?
And how many of them are still relevant? And why did he do this on Halloween? This can't be a coincidence. There has to be a reason and I like Halloween; it feels pagan. Can we burn Chesterton in effigy?

Oh, and are the Catholics planning to canonize Luther? That would be a real sign of rapprochement.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:38 pm

Del and/or wos will be along shortly to explain (again) the little issue of Petrine Primacy, and how not even the big-O Orthodox are truly in communion with the One True ChurchTM. All you reformationists are just prodigal children. Sure they'll welcome you back with open arms and have a celebration, but you're going to have to clean off the pig muck first :D

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:49 pm

infidel wrote:Del and/or wos will be along shortly to explain (again) the little issue of Petrine Primacy, and how not even the big-O Orthodox are truly in communion with the One True ChurchTM. All you reformationists are just prodigal children. Sure they'll welcome you back with open arms and have a celebration, but you're going to have to clean off the pig muck first :D
One True ChurchTM? OTC. The FDA have it in for OTC. I guess they're Protestant.

Maybe we should have a poll?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Rusty wrote:"And the pope has already announced his intent to mark the occasion by worshiping not in Rome but in a Lutheran church in Sweden."

Sweden? Is Wittenberg Germany still somewhat hostile to Popes or is he attracted to irreligion? The Swedes are waaay past Lutheran.
The godless Swede had some very interesting words about religion in Sweden. Perhaps I live in the wrong country?
Last edited by Thunktank on Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:01 pm

Rusty wrote:
infidel wrote:Del and/or wos will be along shortly to explain (again) the little issue of Petrine Primacy, and how not even the big-O Orthodox are truly in communion with the One True ChurchTM. All you reformationists are just prodigal children. Sure they'll welcome you back with open arms and have a celebration, but you're going to have to clean off the pig muck first :D

Actually it's been very peaceful between Christians here in the last couple of years for whatever reason. They hardly ever mention such things anymore.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:26 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Actually it's been very peaceful between Christians here in the last couple of years for whatever reason. They hardly ever mention such things anymore.
No kidding? Maybe there IS hope :grouphug:

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Rusty wrote:"And the pope has already announced his intent to mark the occasion by worshiping not in Rome but in a Lutheran church in Sweden."

The godless Swede had some very interesting words about religion in Sweden. Perhaps I live in the wrong country?
It's your latitude that is the problem. Go north and you will find shades of nature worship and all sorts of folklore creatures. It's in the Celtic nations too.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

It's your latitude that is the problem. Go north and you will find shades of nature worship and all sorts of folklore creatures. It's in the Celtic nations too.
Yes. You could also try shutting your goddamn yap and stop your histrionic delusions of persecution for once in your damn life.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:32 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Yes. You could also try shutting your goddamn yap and stop your histrionic delusions of persecution for once in your damn life.
What do you mean? Are you saying that I'm not persecuting Del yet?

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Thunktank wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I, for one, feel persecuted (read: annoyed) by you and by Del on account of the fact that you are both two sides of the same incessantly yammering coin.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:52 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I, for one, feel persecuted (read: annoyed) by you and by Del on account of the fact that you are both two sides of the same incessantly yammering coin.
I could make an attempt at your style of opprobrium instead.

Rooster
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rooster » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Thunktank wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Here's to yammering!

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:12 pm

Thunktank wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:19 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I hate cats! :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: