For those deep thinkers out there.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Crossroads

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:44 pm
I talked to a pastor at church today and told him my heart's desires. He said I will know its time to take the next step when I have assembled a core group of people who will buy into my vision.
That has a ring to it of sound counsel. That's a helpful pastor you have.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:57 am

Fainn wrote:
I talked to a pastor at church today and told him my heart's desires. He said I will know its time to take the next step when I have assembled a core group of people who will buy into my vision.
What's he talking about, Fainn? Did you have a vision? You've not mentioned that.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:25 am

Fainn wrote:
That's good advice. As others have said, you're not supposed to do this deal (life) on your own. If I may make a few comments on what the good pastor said:
1. Surround yourself with Christian people who are living it out.
2. Don't make 'buying in to your vision' a condition of accepting counsel. Just hook up with good people.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:57 am
Fainn wrote:
What's he talking about, Fainn? Did you have a vision? You've not mentioned that.
I want to do Messianic ministry and felt stirred again in church yesterday. Still working on the vision part. I guess more appropiately it should be G-d's vision. I need other like minded individuals.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:57 am
Fainn wrote:
I want to do Messianic ministry and felt stirred again in church yesterday. Still working on the vision part. I guess more appropiately it should be G-d's vision. I need other like minded individuals.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 am

Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in the precondition of people buying into your "vision." If your vision is not God's vision, you shouldn't be in the pulpit in the first place, and if your vision is God's vision, your fellow congregants should have already bought into it.

Effective communication skills and credibility are more important, in my opinion. If you are speaking the truth and people are willing to hear you speak it, you have what it takes to approach the pulpit. Whether you will have the opportunity to do so is critical. That's where actions like starting a Bible study or prayer group comes into play.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:21 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 am
Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in the precondition of people buying into your "vision." If your vision is not God's vision, you shouldn't be in the pulpit in the first place, and if your vision is God's vision, your fellow congregants should have already bought into it.

Effective communication skills and credibility are more important, in my opinion. If you are speaking the truth and people are willing to hear you speak it, you have what it takes to approach the pulpit. Whether you will have the opportunity to do so is critical. That's where actions like starting a Bible study or prayer group comes into play.
I don't have fellow congregants yet. That's part of whats holding me back. The good news is that people I've talked to do know I can communicate effectively and are ready to help me find a worship space when the time comes.
The assistant pastors laid hands on each of the candidates from two cities who showed up and the head pastor said we were called to politics whether we won this race or not. The pastor himself was called to preach in 1995, but he didn't begin preaching until 2012.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:24 am

Finished my essay for admissions to a Messianic training school. Reviewing the essay, which requires a testimony of your life, I realized that I had first been stirred to Messianic ministry in 2011. That's a pretty long time to have a passion for something.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:32 am

Fainn wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:24 am
Finished my essay for admissions to a Messianic training school. Reviewing the essay, which requires a testimony of your life, I realized that I had first been stirred to Messianic ministry in 2011. That's a pretty long time to have a passion for something.
Jacob worked seven years for Rachel and got Leah.

Another 7 years and he was finally done.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:22 am

In 2013, I went through several terrifying events. I promised G-d that I would spend the rest of my life glorifying his name if he got me through it. Sometimes I wonder if that has anything to do with my job situation. I haven't born any fruit looking for secular employment.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:20 am

Still praying.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal