Typical services at my church

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by hugodrax » Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm

You boys just had to do it, didn't you?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10808
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by Onyx » Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm
You boys just had to do it, didn't you?
Yeah, settle down everyone. Me an' Hugodrax are here to restore harmony. Then get the thread locked. Again.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4608
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by Joshoowah » Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 pm

The debate of what a sacrament represents portrayed by memes. Cool.

In the famous of words of Fred Durst: "Keep on [t]rollin', [t]rollin', [t]rollin."
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20043
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by Jocose » Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:18 pm
The debate of what a sacrament represents portrayed by memes. Cool.
Right? Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Image

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 am

Onyx wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm
You boys just had to do it, didn't you?
Yeah, settle down everyone. Me an' Hugodrax are here to restore harmony. Then get the thread locked. Again.
That sounds like fun. After the Janisarries restore order, how do you propose we proceed?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10808
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by Onyx » Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 am
Onyx wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm
You boys just had to do it, didn't you?
Yeah, settle down everyone. Me an' Hugodrax are here to restore harmony. Then get the thread locked. Again.
That sounds like fun. After the Janisarries restore order, how do you propose we proceed?
We enforce a diet of monastic kebabs for purity of soul, then daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 6:13 am

Onyx wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 am
Onyx wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm
You boys just had to do it, didn't you?
Yeah, settle down everyone. Me an' Hugodrax are here to restore harmony. Then get the thread locked. Again.
That sounds like fun. After the Janisarries restore order, how do you propose we proceed?
We enforce a diet of monastic kebabs for purity of soul, then daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.
I'm on board with the monastic kebabs (except, of course, for Fridays, when meals should be replaced with thoughtful flagellation), but I am hesitant about the daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.

It is Canon, of course. Moreover, it is deeply sacred. But is it really the study for neophytes? Those who do not play or who have, like tuttle, ruined their ears by listening to contemporary Christian pseudo-music, might just think they're cool tunes and have a "Wonderbread and Grapejuice" moment wherein they see Hendrix as some transient musician and fail to see that his notes live on with us until the end of the age.

I suggest we start with Leadbelly, move on through some Albert King, Gate mouth Brown, and John Lee Hooker before they arrive at Blue Eyed Blues. Then, maybe, by degrees, they can be introduced to Hendrix. And, for the truly gifted student, controlled doses of Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins.

What do you say?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10808
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by Onyx » Wed May 03, 2017 6:28 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:13 am
Onyx wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 am
Onyx wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm
You boys just had to do it, didn't you?
Yeah, settle down everyone. Me an' Hugodrax are here to restore harmony. Then get the thread locked. Again.
That sounds like fun. After the Janisarries restore order, how do you propose we proceed?
We enforce a diet of monastic kebabs for purity of soul, then daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.
I'm on board with the monastic kebabs (except, of course, for Fridays, when meals should be replaced with thoughtful flagellation), but I am hesitant about the daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.

It is Canon, of course. Moreover, it is deeply sacred. But is it really the study for neophytes? Those who do not play or who have, like tuttle, ruined their ears by listening to contemporary Christian pseudo-music, might just think they're cool tunes and have a "Wonderbread and Grapejuice" moment wherein they see Hendrix as some transient musician and fail to see that his notes live on with us until the end of the age.

I suggest we start with Leadbelly, move on through some Albert King, Gate mouth Brown, and John Lee Hooker before they arrive at Blue Eyed Blues. Then, maybe, by degrees, they can be introduced to Hendrix. And, for the truly gifted student, controlled doses of Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins.

What do you say?
I'm with you on the Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker. Albert King has me conflicted... good, but not as good as he thought; nor as good as SRV esteemed him. As for Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins - there are many paths, and these are among them, but not canon. But I don't think any student should be protected from Hendrix. Let him be overwhelmed.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 6:54 am

Onyx wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:28 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:13 am
Onyx wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 am
Onyx wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm
You boys just had to do it, didn't you?
Yeah, settle down everyone. Me an' Hugodrax are here to restore harmony. Then get the thread locked. Again.
That sounds like fun. After the Janisarries restore order, how do you propose we proceed?
We enforce a diet of monastic kebabs for purity of soul, then daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.
I'm on board with the monastic kebabs (except, of course, for Fridays, when meals should be replaced with thoughtful flagellation), but I am hesitant about the daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.

It is Canon, of course. Moreover, it is deeply sacred. But is it really the study for neophytes? Those who do not play or who have, like tuttle, ruined their ears by listening to contemporary Christian pseudo-music, might just think they're cool tunes and have a "Wonderbread and Grapejuice" moment wherein they see Hendrix as some transient musician and fail to see that his notes live on with us until the end of the age.

I suggest we start with Leadbelly, move on through some Albert King, Gate mouth Brown, and John Lee Hooker before they arrive at Blue Eyed Blues. Then, maybe, by degrees, they can be introduced to Hendrix. And, for the truly gifted student, controlled doses of Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins.

What do you say?
I'm with you on the Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker. Albert King has me conflicted... good, but not as good as he thought; nor as good as SRV esteemed him. As for Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins - there are many paths, and these are among them, but not canon. But I don't think any student should be protected from Hendrix. Let him be overwhelmed.
You are a fundamentalist at heart, my boy. Your struggle against it is obvious.

Watching you focus on the New Musician, with little to no emphasis on those who came before, eating crawdads and shrimp and grits in the wildnerness, is telling. As if the music can stand alone, without a knowledge of how or why it happened the way it did.

Your complete and utter rejection of non-canon musicians is also interestng. As if you cannot learn about your own from studying others. Is there a danger of heresy?

And the rejection of Albert King because you personally do not like him? You're Luther, Jr.! Don't like this book, throw it out! It never existed! Mistakes of man!

Oh, you aren't as progressive as you think you are, sir. Why, you're positively orthodox (small o--I think you shower). :clown:
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10808
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by Onyx » Wed May 03, 2017 7:11 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:54 am
Onyx wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:28 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:13 am
Onyx wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 am
Onyx wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm
You boys just had to do it, didn't you?
Yeah, settle down everyone. Me an' Hugodrax are here to restore harmony. Then get the thread locked. Again.
That sounds like fun. After the Janisarries restore order, how do you propose we proceed?
We enforce a diet of monastic kebabs for purity of soul, then daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.
I'm on board with the monastic kebabs (except, of course, for Fridays, when meals should be replaced with thoughtful flagellation), but I am hesitant about the daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.

It is Canon, of course. Moreover, it is deeply sacred. But is it really the study for neophytes? Those who do not play or who have, like tuttle, ruined their ears by listening to contemporary Christian pseudo-music, might just think they're cool tunes and have a "Wonderbread and Grapejuice" moment wherein they see Hendrix as some transient musician and fail to see that his notes live on with us until the end of the age.

I suggest we start with Leadbelly, move on through some Albert King, Gate mouth Brown, and John Lee Hooker before they arrive at Blue Eyed Blues. Then, maybe, by degrees, they can be introduced to Hendrix. And, for the truly gifted student, controlled doses of Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins.

What do you say?
I'm with you on the Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker. Albert King has me conflicted... good, but not as good as he thought; nor as good as SRV esteemed him. As for Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins - there are many paths, and these are among them, but not canon. But I don't think any student should be protected from Hendrix. Let him be overwhelmed.
You are a fundamentalist at heart, my boy. Your struggle against it is obvious.

Watching you focus on the New Musician, with little to no emphasis on those who came before, eating crawdads and shrimp and grits in the wildnerness, is telling. As if the music can stand alone, without a knowledge of how or why it happened the way it did.

Your complete and utter rejection of non-canon musicians is also interestng. As if you cannot learn about your own from studying others. Is there a danger of heresy?

And the rejection of Albert King because you personally do not like him? You're Luther, Jr.! Don't like this book, throw it out! It never existed! Mistakes of man!

Oh, you aren't as progressive as you think you are, sir. Why, you're positively orthodox (small o--I think you shower). :clown:
There are Albert King licks I've stolen. I guarantee I'll play some this Saturday night at a pub gig we have booked. But you're right, I don't like him. Honestly, I liked him until I saw how much Stevie Ray Vaughn liked him. Then it felt creepy. I don't like adoration.

But I don't reject non-canon. Here's some non-canon guys that hit the spot right now...

Gary Clark Jr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7De_DDqBtc

Davy Knowles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-bbJs6zf8

Doyle Bramhall II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gYfXL4rOto
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 7:23 am

Onyx wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:11 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:54 am
Onyx wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:28 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:13 am
Onyx wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 am
Onyx wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm
You boys just had to do it, didn't you?
Yeah, settle down everyone. Me an' Hugodrax are here to restore harmony. Then get the thread locked. Again.
That sounds like fun. After the Janisarries restore order, how do you propose we proceed?
We enforce a diet of monastic kebabs for purity of soul, then daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.
I'm on board with the monastic kebabs (except, of course, for Fridays, when meals should be replaced with thoughtful flagellation), but I am hesitant about the daily study of the complete Jimi Hendrix catalogue.

It is Canon, of course. Moreover, it is deeply sacred. But is it really the study for neophytes? Those who do not play or who have, like tuttle, ruined their ears by listening to contemporary Christian pseudo-music, might just think they're cool tunes and have a "Wonderbread and Grapejuice" moment wherein they see Hendrix as some transient musician and fail to see that his notes live on with us until the end of the age.

I suggest we start with Leadbelly, move on through some Albert King, Gate mouth Brown, and John Lee Hooker before they arrive at Blue Eyed Blues. Then, maybe, by degrees, they can be introduced to Hendrix. And, for the truly gifted student, controlled doses of Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins.

What do you say?
I'm with you on the Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker. Albert King has me conflicted... good, but not as good as he thought; nor as good as SRV esteemed him. As for Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins - there are many paths, and these are among them, but not canon. But I don't think any student should be protected from Hendrix. Let him be overwhelmed.
You are a fundamentalist at heart, my boy. Your struggle against it is obvious.

Watching you focus on the New Musician, with little to no emphasis on those who came before, eating crawdads and shrimp and grits in the wildnerness, is telling. As if the music can stand alone, without a knowledge of how or why it happened the way it did.

Your complete and utter rejection of non-canon musicians is also interestng. As if you cannot learn about your own from studying others. Is there a danger of heresy?

And the rejection of Albert King because you personally do not like him? You're Luther, Jr.! Don't like this book, throw it out! It never existed! Mistakes of man!

Oh, you aren't as progressive as you think you are, sir. Why, you're positively orthodox (small o--I think you shower). :clown:
There are Albert King licks I've stolen. I guarantee I'll play some this Saturday night at a pub gig we have booked. But you're right, I don't like him. Honestly, I liked him until I saw how much Stevie Ray Vaughn liked him. Then it felt creepy. I don't like adoration.

But I don't reject non-canon. Here's some non-canon guys that hit the spot right now...

Gary Clark Jr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7De_DDqBtc

Davy Knowles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-bbJs6zf8

Doyle Bramhall II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gYfXL4rOto
I shall peruse when I have a chance. We're on different ends of the spectrum. I was trained for jazz and have a taste for the blues. I enjoy other genres but don't want to play them so much as listen.

But there is much good in what you say. That's the danger for Hendrix, in my mind. There's a lot of hero worship for the gut that turns me off. And then there's "Waterfalls". So, yeah.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: USA, USA!!!

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by GaryInVA » Wed May 03, 2017 8:03 am

ChildOfGod wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:22 am

I have recently been led back to our former PCA church. They reached out to me in reconciliation when they got a new pastor and a lot of healing has occurred - I and the previous pastor even did our best at reconciling as part of the overall process. I mention that 'cause it really is something to be celebrated in Christ. It's a miracle.

That PCA congregation, where I am a member, is older than the USA. The service is more complex and sometimes I feel like I'm shuffling papers and hymnals a bit much but I really appreciate all of its elements:

Opening Announcements
Responsive Call to Worship (usually from the Psalms)
Greetings
The Doxology (corporately sung)
Prayer of Adoration (concluded with corporate recitation of the Lord's Prayer)
Hymn of Praise
Confession of Faith (Apostles or Nicene Creeds or portion of the Heidelberg or Westminster Confessions)
Confession of Sin and Weakness (corporate prayer read from bulletin/program)
Private time of Confession
Assurance of Pardon (pastoral prayer listed in bulletin/program)
Offertory
Pastoral Prayer
Hymn of Preparation
Scripture Reading
Sermon
Hymn of Benediction
Benediction

It's involved but each of its components has meaning and its structure is Biblically derived (though you'd have to search Puritan/Reformed literature for that proof).

The fam still goes to the simpler service every week and joins me at the PCA church on the second Sunday for the Lord's Supper which is held every month on that Sunday.
We are visiting a PCA church in Santa Fe and the service is much the same as you've stated above. We were members of a PCA church back in Maryland and I've really missed the liturgy.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20043
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by Jocose » Wed May 03, 2017 11:48 am

The Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom, our most celebrated liturgy, dates back to the 5th century.

Orthodox Christians worship today the exact same way Orthodox Christians worshipped 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 500 years ago, all the way back to 33 AD

"Come and see"
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Image

User avatar
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration
Posts: 24182
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Slightly East of Pepik
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by Skip » Wed May 03, 2017 11:52 am

I'm glad to see that this thread is mostly back on track.

Great. More youtube videos to watch now.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20021
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by FredS » Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Any time we can bring Gary Clark Jr to bear, it's good. Mentioning him in the same breath as Hendrix (which I heard recently on an NPR music show) is a bit much though. Of such things schisms are born.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12119
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Jersey City, World's Greatest City
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by Thoth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:48 pm

I know I had a detailed post from my early days on the order of the Coptic Liturgy of St. Basil (searching though may have been lost when the old site burned down)

Anyway here is two scholarly talks on an ordo that exists in western protestant worship. Since they are scholarly talks they are potentially dry.

First Dr. Bryan D. Spinks—Professor of Liturgical Studies, Yale Divinity School

Also Dr. Michael B. Aune, Professor of Liturgical and Historical Studies at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary/Graduate Theological U***n in Berkeley, CA
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25522
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Re: Typical services at my church

Post by jruegg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Here's what we typically do:

Welcome!
Silence!
Pray!
Collect!
Sing!
Pray!
Read Scripture!
Sing!
Practice!
Sing!
Hear!
Receive! (1st Sun. of Month)
Pray!
Sing!
Benedict!
Image

Post Reply