Del wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:51 pm
Skip wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:20 pm
Del wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:58 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 am

This was taught and affirmed during the first 1000 years of Christianity.
That sounds about right.

I don't know the history of Eastern heresies much after 1000. But about that time, the Albigensian heresy started to rise quickly in the West, and it was a powerful denial of baptism and the Eucharist.

The Albigensians (or as they called themselves, "Cathars" = "purified ones") believed in two gods -- a good God who created the spiritual realm, and an evil god who created the material realm. Thus, Jesus could not have incarnated in a material body. He appeared to us in the semblance of a body, to save us from the evil of our own flesh. He only appeared to die, etc.

As a result, the notion that Jesus could give us His own "body" was absurd to them. He could only give us His spirit, because that is all that He has to give.

Like modern Jehovah's Witnesses, they used the Christian Bible -- but they did not believe in Trinitarian Christian faith.

Some Protestant traditions adopted the puritanical extremes of the Cathars. This is where the practice of "no drinking, smoking, or dancing" came from, and the iconoclasm that refuses sacred art or images of Christ's body on a cross.
Del, if you want to discuss Catholicism, you go for it. When it comes to Protestants, you really need to shut the f*** up. Sometimes, you have your head so far up your own ass that you're breathing brown air. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Blunt enough?
I will gladly accept correction.

The culture of the tradition of the Albigensian heresy was still strong in French-speaking regions, such as Geneva. Calvin did not invent the desire for ascetic purification... he found it in the people already. (Same reason St. Francis's order was so popular and successful.... People responded favorably to the poor, happy, and holy friars.)

Protestantism came out of Catholicism and the Western heresies. That is why it does not resemble Orthodoxy or the Eastern heresies. We can't talk about Catholicism and Protestantism as two different things until we understand their common history and shared tradition.
This is my new favourite thread.
Masochist. You have Dial-a-Mistress on speed dial? :twisted: :lol:
I read Del on CPS for the same reason I follow Jaden Smith on twitter.
To see them wearing skirts, uh kilts, uh . . . whatever?
Read my sig, redneck. I convinced Del to purchase his first kilt after I already owned multiple thereof.

Now, back to the sarcasm...
It is most true.

Skip not only coached me into buying my first kilt.... He later gave me courage to wear it outside the house.

When people ask my why I started wearing kilts, I say that it began with pipe smoking.... then I met a friend in Chicago who is a big, burly, bearded, Harley-riding guy who wore a kilt.... and I said, "Man, that's cool!"
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum

Post by Del » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:14 am

colton wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:28 pm
A small interjection here:
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:20 am

For myself, I still remember the first time I attended a Catholic mass after years in the Baptist church. It was midnight mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York. I was as overwhelmed with wonder and joy as Thunk's posted painting suggests. There is something huge here, I thought, that I have not experienced in worship before. I did not choose to receive communion, but I so very much wanted to. Ached to. I was ignorant of the traditions and doctrines of the Roman Church, and I did not want to be disrespectful in my ignorance. But God was there, and I knew it, in spite of the very anti-Catholic teaching that occasionally occurred in the preaching of my pastor.

That was just before I went off to college and the beginning of my exposure to more serious theology. I first heard the phrase, "all of like precious faith" the autumn after that experience in a New Testament class.

The phrase struck me as a manifestation of the love of God that unites us, an antidote to the evil of fallen man that divides us.
I can relate to this. My first experience in a more sacramental church was Anglican, which during the same months I also got married and went on my Honeymoon in Italy and Greece. We visited the Vatican museum, and I remember looking at various liturgical items from the earliest centuries of Christendom (cir. 1st through 5th) and it really deepened my appreciation for it and church history. I was also raised a Baptist and by the time of my marriage, I was practicing Evangelicalism. Regardless, the Mass and Divine Litturgy of Rome, England or the Eastern churches really resonated with me.

A month ago or so before I began taking my second child to church again, I showed him a painting like that I posted above and explained it to him. His eyes lit up and amazingly, he remembered so much of what we did at the Divine Liturgy. I was thoroughly impressed. He's a special kid in this way. My wife is baptized Catholic and her "Mimi" took her to Mass often. She is comfortable in the Catholic Churches as a result even though she hasn't practiced it since a little girl with her Mimi. She also said that she was also thinking of attending Mass with us soon.
This warms the cockles of my heart.
Colton!!!! :wavey:

How we have missed your warm cockles!

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 am

Del wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:14 am
colton wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:28 pm
A small interjection here:
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:20 am

For myself, I still remember the first time I attended a Catholic mass after years in the Baptist church. It was midnight mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York. I was as overwhelmed with wonder and joy as Thunk's posted painting suggests. There is something huge here, I thought, that I have not experienced in worship before. I did not choose to receive communion, but I so very much wanted to. Ached to. I was ignorant of the traditions and doctrines of the Roman Church, and I did not want to be disrespectful in my ignorance. But God was there, and I knew it, in spite of the very anti-Catholic teaching that occasionally occurred in the preaching of my pastor.

That was just before I went off to college and the beginning of my exposure to more serious theology. I first heard the phrase, "all of like precious faith" the autumn after that experience in a New Testament class.

The phrase struck me as a manifestation of the love of God that unites us, an antidote to the evil of fallen man that divides us.
I can relate to this. My first experience in a more sacramental church was Anglican, which during the same months I also got married and went on my Honeymoon in Italy and Greece. We visited the Vatican museum, and I remember looking at various liturgical items from the earliest centuries of Christendom (cir. 1st through 5th) and it really deepened my appreciation for it and church history. I was also raised a Baptist and by the time of my marriage, I was practicing Evangelicalism. Regardless, the Mass and Divine Litturgy of Rome, England or the Eastern churches really resonated with me.

A month ago or so before I began taking my second child to church again, I showed him a painting like that I posted above and explained it to him. His eyes lit up and amazingly, he remembered so much of what we did at the Divine Liturgy. I was thoroughly impressed. He's a special kid in this way. My wife is baptized Catholic and her "Mimi" took her to Mass often. She is comfortable in the Catholic Churches as a result even though she hasn't practiced it since a little girl with her Mimi. She also said that she was also thinking of attending Mass with us soon.
This warms the cockles of my heart.
Colton!!!! :wavey:

How we have missed your warm cockles!
Phrasing.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 am

Del wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:11 pm
Should we keep repeating ourselves?
:whistling:

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:43 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 am
Del wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:11 pm
Should we keep repeating ourselves?
:whistling:
I know, right?

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:08 am
Skip wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:19 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:13 pm
Onyx wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:34 pm
Skip wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:52 pm
Onyx wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:17 pm
Del wrote:
Skip wrote:
Del wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:58 pm

That sounds about right.

I don't know the history of Eastern heresies much after 1000. But about that time, the Albigensian heresy started to rise quickly in the West, and it was a powerful denial of baptism and the Eucharist.

The Albigensians (or as they called themselves, "Cathars" = "purified ones") believed in two gods -- a good God who created the spiritual realm, and an evil god who created the material realm. Thus, Jesus could not have incarnated in a material body. He appeared to us in the semblance of a body, to save us from the evil of our own flesh. He only appeared to die, etc.

As a result, the notion that Jesus could give us His own "body" was absurd to them. He could only give us His spirit, because that is all that He has to give.

Like modern Jehovah's Witnesses, they used the Christian Bible -- but they did not believe in Trinitarian Christian faith.

Some Protestant traditions adopted the puritanical extremes of the Cathars. This is where the practice of "no drinking, smoking, or dancing" came from, and the iconoclasm that refuses sacred art or images of Christ's body on a cross.
Del, if you want to discuss Catholicism, you go for it. When it comes to Protestants, you really need to shut the f*** up. Sometimes, you have your head so far up your own ass that you're breathing brown air. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Blunt enough?

The culture of the tradition of the Albigensian heresy was still strong in French-speaking regions, such as Geneva. Calvin did not invent the desire for ascetic purification... he found it in the people already. (Same reason St. Francis's order was so popular and successful.... People responded favorably to the poor, happy, and holy friars.)

Protestantism came out of Catholicism and the Western heresies. That is why it does not resemble Orthodoxy or the Eastern heresies. We can't talk about Catholicism and Protestantism as two different things until we understand their common history and shared tradition.
Read my sig, redneck. I convinced Del to purchase his first kilt after I already owned multiple thereof.

It is most true.

Skip not only coached me into buying my first kilt.... He later gave me courage to wear it outside the house.

When people ask my why I started wearing kilts, I say that it began with pipe smoking.... then I met a friend in Chicago who is a big, burly, bearded, Harley-riding guy who wore a kilt.... and I said, "Man, that's cool!"
Skip rides a Harley?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:47 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:45 pm
Del wrote:
Skip wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Skip wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Del wrote:
Skip wrote:

Blunt enough?

It is most true.

Skip rides a Harley?
Actually, it was a Jeep. But the story tells better this way.

But I do believe that Skip had a beefy cycle of some sort, back in '08.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:43 am

Del wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:47 am
Jocose wrote:
Del wrote:
Skip wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Skip wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Del wrote:

It is most true.

Skip rides a Harley?

Mountain bike
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:56 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:43 am
Del wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:47 am
Jocose wrote:
Del wrote:
Skip wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Skip wrote:
Onyx wrote:

It is most true.

Skip rides a Harley?

Mountain bike

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:20 pm

Skip convinced Del to not only buy a skirt but to wear it in public in order to show the world his perversion. Sick!

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:52 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:20 pm
Skip convinced Del to not only buy a skirt but to wear it in public in order to show the world his perversion. Sick!
This is exactly how the pink butterfly hat deal started.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:52 am
TNLawPiper wrote:
:lol:

Del

Post by Del » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 am
FredS wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
NASTY!

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:56 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
FredS wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
There's a deal on pink butterfly hats!
Was it in a Pipesandcigars email?
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 am
TNLawPiper wrote:
FredS wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
NASTY!
A few months ago when women were marching in those hats, I sent the following text to my three girls "You guys [yes, I call my girls 'guys'] are grown women so I expect you to march in support or opposition of what ever it is you're passionate about. But PLEASE do not post any pictures of you wearing a pink butterfly [not the word I used] hat anywhere that I might see it. Thanks in advance for your consideration."
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:35 pm

You people can ruin any thread!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:35 pm
Are you saying the faithful adoration of the Body and Blood of Christ doesn't naturally lead to a discussion of women's political issues?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:35 pm
Dude. Yer thread went three pages before we fouled it. Consider that a win.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Hey, Jo.

Hope your night is peaceful.

Last night I was pondering the verses on the Road to Emmaus. And I think is dovetails nicely with your OP.

Here starts a copy and paste from a mobile device.

Luke 24:13-35Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)

That very day two of them were going to a village named Emma′us, about seven miles[a] from Jerusalem, 14 and talking with each other about all these things that had happened. 15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 17 And he said to them, “What is this conversation which you are holding with each other as you walk?” And they stood still, looking sad. 18 Then one of them, named Cle′opas, answered him, “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?” 19 And he said to them, “What things?” And they said to him, “Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. 21 But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since this happened. 22 Moreover, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning 23 and did not find his body; and they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. 24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb, and found it just as the women had said; but him they did not see.” 25 And he said to them, “O foolish men, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

/end copy paste
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:42 pm

#NoSpiritulAuthorityWhatSoEver

In the OP we have Jesus' teaching. On the Raod to Emmeaus it becomes evident what that teaching is / means.

The raised Jesus the Christ himself walked and spoke with these blokes and they didn't know who he was. They were even using their own King James Bible they had tucked in their robe pouch, right?

When did they realize who He is?
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound