For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

What is your religious history?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Baptized Catholic as and infant and have ever since remained active Catholic
9%
Baptized Catholic as an infant, drifted away, but have since returned
No votes
Baptized Catholic, but remain so only in name (preferred affiliation)
No votes
Baptized Catholic as an infant, but later became Protestant
9%
Baptized Protestant, but later became Catholic
18%
Baptized Protestant and have ever since remained an active Protestant
45%
Baptized Protestant, drifted away, but have since returned to Protestantism
No votes
Baptized Protestant, but remain so only in name (preferred affiliation)
No votes
Baptized Evangelical, and have remained so
18%
Baptized Evangelical, but have since drifted away
No votes

Total votes: 11

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: My Religious History Thread

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:59 pm
[quote=A_Morley post_id
There, I updated the list to include me.
[/quote]

Where? I didn't see an entry reading inanely blathering senile heretic with a messianic complex.
[/quote]

You got everything right there, fella, except for heretic.
[/quote]

Post(s) of the month material right there, now.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:24 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:19 pm
Can we just lock and delete this abomination before things get anymore inane and crazy? I don't need another Hovannes to vanquish.
You're being a jerk. It was not your business to vanquish Hovannes and it's not your call to try to do it to anyone else. Stick to the pipe and tobacco threads if that's what you enjoy and leave the ones that annoy you the hell alone.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 pm

#AbortionAbInitio
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:05 am

A_Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:13 pm
What in the hell do you think you're doing?
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:24 am

wosbald wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:29 pm
+JMJ+

Though not exactly the same, it seems like we've covered some of this ground before.

From the "Your Religious Affiliation" Thread …
AFRS - Liturgical Druid
bean_counter - Independent Christian Church/ Church of Christ (Restoration movement)
bilder non-denominational with a Baptist flavor
Briar_Bowl - American Baptist
Brigid - Orthodox Christian, attending OCA, baptised ROCOR in 1997
BubbaJack - United Methodist
ChildOfGod - Christian, Reformed in personal theology.
Cleon - Reformed, Confessional, High Church, Presbyterian. Member of the PCA.
Cliff - Non-denominational, spiritual (previously Ukrainian Uniate Rite of the Catholic Church)
coco- Southern Baptist, ordained, Reformed, missionary
Codemonkey - Methodist with a Pentecostal background, so I guess I'm a Methodecostal
colton - Anglo-Catholic with an Assemblies of God and non-denom background
Dasmokeryaget - Non Denominational
Del - Roman Catholic (cradle)
DepartedLight - Non denominational
dlfuchs - United Methodist
Donkeymule - non denominational with Methodist and Baptist leanings
fisherofpipes - Anglican
FredS - Evangelical Presbyterian (converted from Episcopalian 10 years ago)
friar_jay - Non-Denominational (Assemblies of God roots, sprinkles of Messianic Judaism, Independent Charismatic, and leaning more and more towards Anglicanism)
GabeSyme- Catholic (cradle)
Gabriel - Baptist ("Reformed", unaffiliated)
gaining_age - non-denominational (current church similar to PCA in reformed theology)
GiantNinja Baptized Catholic, raised pagan (small 'p'), was atheist, received into the Catholic Church at the Easter Vigil of 2003.
gravel - non-denominational
hogleg - Christian
Hovannes- Roman Catholic (cradle)
Irish-Dane - Raised Nazarene until 22 yrs old, Non-Denominational until 32, and while not on board with some of their anti-church ideas, my current faith affiliation can best be defined in the Emergent and Emerging movements
Jake - non-denominational Calvary Chapelite (raised Catholic from infancy until preteen)
JimVH - Southern Baptist
jjmitchem - Christian (grew up Catholic, married in a Lutheran Church, came to a new relationship with Christ in a Methodist Church, baptized and called to ministry in a Baptist Church) - multi denominational Army Chaplain
jo533281 - Orthodox OCA - Converted in 2010 after many years as a Methodist
Joshoowah - United Methodist (baptized in a Baptist church in 2003, switched to UM 2005)
jruegg - United Methodist (raised United Methodist, baptized at 13, grew up seeing how 'Christians' treated others and didn’t want anything to do with that, God got a hold of me in 2001 during a men’s retreat, diligently studied the various Christian traditions in college searching for Truth, ended up back in United Methodist church [the "radical center" theologically speaking])
JudgeRusty-Southern Baptist, but probably more open minded than they prefer
Lushmojo - Roman Catholic (2012 convert after 30+ years of evangelical protestantism - baptized Southern Baptist, spent years in A/G and nondenominational)
Mountainman- Evangelical nondenominational with Orthodox leanings.
MrPiper - Baptist
mrs_gabriel - raised Luthern, switched to Christian Church, switched to Baptist, dabbled in Vineyard-- moved out of my crazy home -- landed safely and happily in General Baptist, which then dropped the General Baptist and is now Reformed, non-affiliated
MurfBorn Roman Catholic, much in between, now Reformed Non-Denominational Protestant.
N8 Baptisty / just a single Christian person
nosferatu - non-denominational evangelical. Raised Southern Baptist.
OldWorldSwine - Roman Catholic since 1993. Raised Baptist, then was Presbyterian (PCUSA) for a bit.
Onyx - Born, baptised and raised Presbyterian. 20+ years in wild-eyed crazy-ar$e cult. Now without faith.
Rainman498 - Baptized in SBC at age 12, converted to RCC in 2010
Roadmaster - Non Denom baptized by a Baptist Minister
Rooster - Roman Catholic
Rusty - Baptized Anglican, ejected for being a nuisance as a child, now a secular humanist who enjoys religion
serapion - Anglican, exploring Orthodoxy. Previously non-denom charismatic Reformed Baptist
sleepinggecko - Born, bap, raised emergent Pentecostal, converted to RCC in 2010
SlowToke - non-denominational
StatHaldol - Christian...
Steverino - Reformed (PCA); on staff in Southern Baptist church at the present.
SweetandSour - Southern Baptist
TheRealAaron - Roman Catholic
Thoth - Coptic Orthodox jurisdiction (See of Alexandria) of the Oriental Orthodox family of the Orthodox church (cradle)
Thunktank - Orthodox (See of Antioch) since 2002.
Tobacco_Tenderfoot - Roman Catholic since 2011, 4ish years of Non-Denom, lots of not practicing, baptised Lutheran
tuttle - baptist, reformed, associated with the SBC
UncleBob - Methodist
Walkman - Roman Catholic (Raised Lutheran, converted 2007)
Wosbald - Roman Catholic (cradle)
Zed - Nondenom

And then comes that quaintly rough-&-tumble smackdown: the "Religious Affiliation Discussion Thread" thread, quizzically occasioned by the "Your Religious Affiliation" thread.
I'll leave the quote as-is, but I no longer identify as a United Methodist and I am no longer a part of the United Methodist denomination. I'm a bit of a tweener at the moment, though I suppose I am and will always be Wesleyan in thought.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Good evening.

Complexity shortened.

Born 1963. Nothing until parental units become Jehovah's Witnesses in 1967/68. Baptized in JW when I was 16. For Dad. Bailed the JW officially when 18. Went nuts. Moved out of state. Went Roman Catholic. Real baptism in the Roman Rite at 19. Went nuts. Seriously studied Eastern though. Joined the Army. Went nuts. Kicked out. Stayed nuts. Christian cult called The International Church of Christ. That lasted almost 15 minutes. Here there over there messianic Jewish christian dudes, holly rollers with and without tents. Anitiochain Orthodox, back over the Tiber with full communion of the Western Rite. Progress through various ministry's together with my sacramental wife. The person who every morning when I woke up poured the grace of God into my soul. She encouraged me to seek the Deaconate. And we worked toworard adopting a child. A personal atomic bomb hit and all of that vanished in a flash. Now secularly divorced and I live alone. I don't attend church because i just can't get through the door, no matter what name is above it.

Didn't really see that option in yer poll.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:23 pm

I'd have not had the knee jerk aversion to Goose asking about people's religious and denominational journey were it not for that stupid, ill conceived, and offensively presumptuous poll that he tacked onto it as if to announce to the world that he had reduced the ever changing plethora of personal and societal Christian experience into those few, thoughtless categories. Ass scratching ignoramuses assuming that they can put God into their own folksy little boxes is just about the most irritating thing I can think of and is why I tend to favor extremely hierarchical religious structures that keep the hoi polloi the hell in line and let the properly ordained people with advanced degrees in esoteric topics do all the talking.

For my part, I was raised in nominally Lutheran in and insular Norwegian enclave by a bunch of dunderheaded dirt farmers who could barely speak English. It was assumed that I was baptized at some point as an infant, though nobody bothered to remember when or under what auspices. I had a mentally deficient aunt who had some sort of great awakening of her own and became convinced that God was talking to her and that the family needed to be saved from whatever it was her delusions told her we had been doing wrong. She took it upon herself to rebaptize me against my will in a stream, so I don't know where that fits in to Goose's grand scheme of Christian initiation.

I escaped from all this and started attending an Anglican church, mostly on account of the fact that the congregation was comprised of well dressed elderly people who never seemed to get excited about anything and who told me I was a dear boy because I liked reading Charles Dickens and making soup for the parish meetings. When it came time for me to be received by the bishop he asked where and when I had been baptized. I told him in a far away Lutheran church which didn't exist anymore and that might not have even baptized me. That, or by my mentally ill aunt in a ditch in Eastern Oregon. He rightly determined that that was all very unseemly and had me conditionally rebaptized by a priest, at a font, according the Rite of Baptism in the Book of Common Prayer.

After that, I occasionally contemplated and even took instruction to be received into the Roman Church or into the Orthodox Church, but remained Anglican. Roman Catholics would call me a protestant because the Church of England does not acknowledge the supremacy of the Pope. Protestants see me as some sort of weird Catholic because I pray using things like crucifixes and icons and beads and I call my religious leader a priest. I don't know what this supposed third "Evangelical" group see me as.

So, yeah. I didn't see anything in his precious little poll for that.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am

A_Morley wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:23 pm
I'd have not had the knee jerk aversion to Goose asking about people's religious and denominational journey were it not for that stupid, ill conceived, and offensively presumptuous poll that he tacked onto it as if to announce to the world that he had reduced the ever changing plethora of personal and societal Christian experience into those few, thoughtless categories. Ass scratching ignoramuses assuming that they can put God into their own folksy little boxes is just about the most irritating thing I can think of and is why I tend to favor extremely hierarchical religious structures that keep the hoi polloi the hell in line and let the properly ordained people with advanced degrees in esoteric topics do all the talking.

For my part, I was raised in nominally Lutheran in and insular Norwegian enclave by a bunch of dunderheaded dirt farmers who could barely speak English. It was assumed that I was baptized at some point as an infant, though nobody bothered to remember when or under what auspices. I had a mentally deficient aunt who had some sort of great awakening of her own and became convinced that God was talking to her and that the family needed to be saved from whatever it was her delusions told her we had been doing wrong. She took it upon herself to rebaptize me against my will in a stream, so I don't know where that fits in to Goose's grand scheme of Christian initiation.

I escaped from all this and started attending an Anglican church, mostly on account of the fact that the congregation was comprised of well dressed elderly people who never seemed to get excited about anything and who told me I was a dear boy because I liked reading Charles Dickens and making soup for the parish meetings. When it came time for me to be received by the bishop he asked where and when I had been baptized. I told him in a far away Lutheran church which didn't exist anymore and that might not have even baptized me. That, or by my mentally ill aunt in a ditch in Eastern Oregon. He rightly determined that that was all very unseemly and had me conditionally rebaptized by a priest, at a font, according the Rite of Baptism in the Book of Common Prayer.

After that, I occasionally contemplated and even took instruction to be received into the Roman Church or into the Orthodox Church, but remained Anglican. Roman Catholics would call me a protestant because the Church of England does not acknowledge the supremacy of the Pope. Protestants see me as some sort of weird Catholic because I pray using things like crucifixes and icons and beads and I call my religious leader a priest. I don't know what this supposed third "Evangelical" group see me as.

So, yeah. I didn't see anything in his precious little poll for that.
Thanks for this honest and transparent post.

I'd have included more categories in the poll, but the CPS system only permits 10.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:17 pm

CHILDHOOD/YOUTH

Parents became Anabaptist Mennonites when I was six. This morphed into Evangelical Fundamentalism practiced through Bible Fellowship, Baptist and Evangelical Free Churches. I was home schooled three years and attended a Baptist school 7th-12th grade where we memorized the entire New Testament and Psalms using the KJV. Bible literalism, dispensationalist premillennialism and Calvinist theology was taught to me in my youth. Also, the Catholic Church was often referred to as "the whore of Babylon."

SEVENTEEN TO TWENTY-FOUR:

Avoided church, practically agnostic.

TWENTY-FIVE TO TWENTY-SEVEN:

Non fundamentalist Evangelicalism and was baptized. Ended up in an Anglican Church which acted as a "bridge" to Catholicism and Orthodoxy. Got married during this time and visited the Vatican and Greek Orthodox Monks in Greece during my honeymoon while Saint Pope John Paul II visited Greece. It was a big deal there and it started my life between two Apostolic Traditions.

TWENTY-EIGHT TO CURRENT:

Attended Catholic and Orthodox churches, completed RCIA, preferred Orthodox Divine Liturgy and wasn't yet convinced of Catholic Papacy or doctrine development in RCC. Was Christmated (Confirmed) into the Orthodox Church and was active for over a decade there. Fell badly in faith for a couple years, enjoyed atheism for the most part for a while, but ended up homesick for Church with a young child who demanded in his own childlike way that I face my issue with the gift of faith again. For the first time in my life, I have come to love the gift of faith. It's as though a special grace has lifted the fog before my eyes on that issue. I struggled against it often, probably because I learned early on not to trust people's idea of it.

Once again I can't get enough theology and love Liturgy and the Lord. Currently seeking my long term options. The list above shows me as Orthodox. Close enough, for now anyway. I will likely become Eastern Catholic (aka Orthodox in communion with the Pope) possibly Roman Catholic for convenience sake and the sake of my Roman Catholic wife, will most certainly participate in both rites regularly. Though, I must admit that the typical Roman Catholic Ordinary Form of Mass around here anyway is giving me heartburn at present. I love the Eastern (Byzantine) and Western(Latin) rites and theological perspectives and orthopraxy, I feel like the odd ball who is comfortable with both and find both to be complimentary to each other. I am now also convinced that Saint Peter AND the office of the Papacy to the current times is part of Christ's plan with the special ministry of church unity, that the schisms were not needed, often lead to heresy and most schisms (though not heresies) were repaired well enough at various times, especially at the Council of Florence, short of the attitude of schism itself. The only way for Orthodoxy and Catholicism to ever share communion again is individual clergy or lay people accepting communion with the Catholic Church or local Orthodox churches and their bishops accepting communion. The cool thing is that by doing so, they will be able to retain their Orthodoxy and even continue calling themselves Orthodox as they did before the Great Schism that never should have happened in the first place, IMO. I will venerate most Orthodox Saints short of the few ardently schismatic ones.