The Five Solas

For those deep thinkers out there.
Jester
Pastor
Pastor

The Five Solas

Post by Jester » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:19 pm

Sola Scriptura (by Scripture alone)
The church, traditions and interpretations are governed by Scripture and all teachings must be in unity with Scripture.

Sola Fide (by faith alone)
Justification is by faith alone.

Sola Gratia (by grace alone)
It is by no human merit that we are saved but only by the grace of God.

Solus Christus (only Christ)
Christ is the only mediator between God and man and there is no salvation through any other.

Soli Deo Gloria (glory to God alone)
All glory is due to God alone.

The next time I see you all will be in October. Throughout this whole month I will be celebrating the 500th Anniversary of The Reformation.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: The Five Solas

Post by FredS » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm working on designs for an expansion of a tortilla factory. Part of our scope is installing 5 new flour silos. I've been working on related drawings all day. When I first saw the title of this thread I was like
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:25 am

Goose's interpretations of the Bible are evidence enough that Sola Scriptura does not work.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:20 am

+JMJ+

The relevant goings-on in Catholicism are exciting. Dramatic and vital.

What yer seemingly saying is that the relevant goings-on in Protestantism are regurgitations of 500 year-old grievances.

Just a thought.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:38 am

wosbald wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:20 am
+JMJ+

The relevant goings-on in Catholicism are exciting. Dramatic and vital.

What yer seemingly saying is that the relevant goings-on in Protestantism are regurgitations of 500 year-old grievances.

Just a thought.
Filial correction as opposed to celebrating the 500th anniversary of the change that made our culture possible?
A 500th anniversary is worth celebrating. I'll side with the Lutherans provided they add o sole mio to the solas. Should be six anyway. Six days to create the world. It's perfect. LOL! Be gracious for the month, please.

I think we're replacing politics with theology lately.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 am

Hmmm... I'm wondering how the Catholic-Orthodox folks might like it if the Prots immediately started poo-pooing their posts about feasts (or whatever). It's a post about an important anniversary to the Reformed members here.

Just a thought.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:32 am

I think all men have a component in them that requires fighting for something. The trick is to channel it into something worthwhile. I've been wasting my time picking on Goose, for which I humbly and publicly apologize.

It is time for a holy war. I say we should fight the heathens that consider tofu a fit ingredient for hamburgers, hot dogs, turkey, and tacos. Surely Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox can unite in this holy mission. Who's up for it? Deus vult!
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:35 am

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 am
Hmmm... I'm wondering how the Catholic-Orthodox folks might like it if the Prots immediately started poo-pooing their posts about feasts (or whatever). It's a post about an important anniversary to the Reformed members here.

Just a thought.
We already have a Reformation 500th Anniversary thread. That one generated no drama.

But it seems to me that this is a thread designed to stimulate a convo.

If not, then carry on.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:48 am

wosbald wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:35 am
+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:

Just a thought.
We already have a Reformation 500th Anniversary thread. That one generated no drama.

If not, then carry on.
Maybe, but if so its not from the rhetoric. To wit:
The next time I see you all will be in October. Throughout this whole month I will be celebrating the 500th Anniversary of The Reformation.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 am

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:48 am
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:

Just a thought.

If not, then carry on.
So you're saying this post should have been in the Useless Facts thread?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 am
UncleBob wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:

Just a thought.

If not, then carry on.
LOL! No, it just seems that he is excited about his expression of Christianity is all. It seemed to me as I read it similar to when someone posts a "Happy X Feast!" thread. Certainly I could be wrong about this but that seems to be a better reading, IMO.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:01 am

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:

Just a thought.

If not, then carry on.
LOL! No, it just seems that he is excited about his expression of Christianity is all. It seemed to me as I read it similar to when someone posts a "Happy X Feast!" thread. Certainly I could be wrong about this but that seems to be a better reading, IMO.
I get it. Seems the only reading. So I won't ask why they use the Latin language rather than the vernacular. :D

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:01 am
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:

Just a thought.

If not, then carry on.
I get it. Seems the only reading. So I won't ask why they use the Latin language rather than the vernacular. :D
I chuckled. Out loud.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:23 pm

wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:

Just a thought.

If not, then carry on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7yCLn-O-Y0
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:33 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:32 am
It is time for a holy war. I say we should fight the heathens that consider tofu a fit ingredient for hamburgers, hot dogs, turkey, and tacos. Surely Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox can unite in this holy mission. Who's up for it? Deus vult!
I'm in.
Ecumenicism at its finest.

No tofu :bacon:
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 am

Jocose wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:25 am
Goose's interpretations of the Bible are evidence enough that Sola Scriptura does not work.
I read through most of the Sola threads before posting this thread. I found this argument to be the most used. In fact this argument is the foundation of the other arguments against sola Scriptura. Not only do I find this an extremely weak argument (that was addressed by Luther himself), but I also find the basis of the argument to be void by the substance of the accusation. Reformers believe Scripture alone and the accusation attacks individuals apart from Scripture? Gods Word is insufficient because John Doe is illiterate?

I understand that the Word of God in the hands of any man can and will cause individual interpretation. I find this to be the same argument for taking citizens weapons. Some will be untrained, irresponsible and some may even use them to harm others or themselves. Therefore confiscate all weapons. The fact that someone can interpret Scripture to mean anything they want it to does not negate the fact that Scripture has one interpretation and it itself is sufficient for all knowledge of saving faith.

This does not reject the church, if anything it should solidify a Scripture teaching church. The church should be able to correctly teach what is in Scripture but to say that because Goose church cant do it also majorly points out that the Catholic and Orthodox church cant either. Which drives to the heart of the doctrine of sola Scriptura. All churches are under the authority of Christ by fallible men. When fallible men start to go astray we have a solid baseline that is sufficient for all teaching, rebuke, correction and training in righteousness so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

What's really scary is that some may even get so pompous that they find their own knowledge of God to be so right that it is infallible. Getting so lofty they shoot their righteous arrows at the poor goose below them.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 am

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
wosbald wrote:
Maybe, but if so its not from the rhetoric. … Certainly I could be wrong about this but that seems to be a better reading, IMO.
I bow to the better reading.

:chili:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 am

wosbald wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 am
+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
wosbald wrote:
Maybe, but if so its not from the rhetoric. … Certainly I could be wrong about this but that seems to be a better reading, IMO.

It might be that Jocose's rhetoric brought this on. Just sayin'.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:36 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 am
wosbald wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 am
+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
wosbald wrote:

It might be that Jocose's rhetoric brought this on. Just sayin'.
How many years of Evil Rhetoric School did you have to go through before they let you come to that conclusion?

I celebrate with the dancing chitlin of smart-assery: :dancingpie:

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:47 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 am
Jocose wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:25 am
I read through most of the Sola threads before posting this thread. I found this argument to be the most used. In fact this argument is the foundation of the other arguments against sola Scriptura. Not only do I find this an extremely weak argument (that was addressed by Luther himself), but I also find the basis of the argument to be void by the substance of the accusation. Reformers believe Scripture alone and the accusation attacks individuals apart from Scripture? Gods Word is insufficient because John Doe is illiterate?

I understand that the Word of God in the hands of any man can and will cause individual interpretation. I find this to be the same argument for taking citizens weapons. Some will be untrained, irresponsible and some may even use them to harm others or themselves. Therefore confiscate all weapons. The fact that someone can interpret Scripture to mean anything they want it to does not negate the fact that Scripture has one interpretation and it itself is sufficient for all knowledge of saving faith.

This does not reject the church, if anything it should solidify a Scripture teaching church. The church should be able to correctly teach what is in Scripture but to say that because Goose church cant do it also majorly points out that the Catholic and Orthodox church cant either. Which drives to the heart of the doctrine of sola Scriptura. All churches are under the authority of Christ by fallible men. When fallible men start to go astray we have a solid baseline that is sufficient for all teaching, rebuke, correction and training in righteousness so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

What's really scary is that some may even get so pompous that they find their own knowledge of God to be so right that it is infallible. Getting so lofty they shoot their righteous arrows at the poor goose below them.
The Apostolic answer to the bolded questions above:

The Reformers were wrong because Scripture was never intended by God to be the only reliable source for our instruction. The New Testament Scriptures were written by the Apostles for Christians who had already been instructed in the basics of Christian faith by the Apostles. Sola Scriptura is a man-made doctrine opposed even to Scripture, and we all know the man who invented it.
The Bible wrote:15 So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings[c] we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

(c) 2 Thessalonians 2:15 Or traditions

translation and notes according to the NIV
As to the "illiteracy" of John Doe: It is also the great biblical scholars from the Reformation to the present day who cannot find enough evidence in Scripture to agree on the most basic Christian beliefs, including whether or not any of the 5 Solas are valid.

Some basic questions that confound the children of the Reformation:
- What happens in Baptism?
- Should children be baptized?
- What happens in the Lord's Supper/Eucharist? How often should we celebrate it?
- What happens when a Christian dies?

The Apostles were not confused about these things, and were quick to correct those who were mistaken (e.g., 1 Thessalonians, 1 Corinthians).

Yet the practical experience from the experimental dogma of Sola Scriptura has been that we should be confused, and no one can correct us.

This is why the Reformation failed in its first generation.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4