Word Study of “flesh” in the New Testament

For those deep thinkers out there.

Moderator: tuttle

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:16 pm

I don’t venture over to this side of CPS often, perhaps I should, but anyway, thought I would share where my biblical meditations are currently taking me. I have decided to delve into a word study of “flesh” in the NT, in part because I wish to better understand my enemy and in part because it was simply recommended to me by a friend who had recently done so. He said it, and it sounded like a good idea, so Perhaps I will report back with the highlights of what comes out of it.

I have begun by mapping out every chapter in which the word was used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by JohnnyMcPiperson on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Re: Word Study of “flesh” in the New Testament

Post by tuttle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:41 pm

I'd be interested reading your reports

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Looks like a worthwhile study.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Where are you going with this? -- Serious question, born of genuine curiosity.

"Word studies" are an analytical technique. A typical follow-up might be to separate the different uses of the the word into classes.

In this case, we could devise some classes of the word "flesh" in the New Testament:
- references to Jesus' own Flesh: unblemished, broken, sacrificed for us, given to us as food
- references to flesh as a metaphor for weakness: source of temptation, concupiscence.

Are there any more? Are there sub-classes under these?

St. Paul's reference to the suffering of his own flesh as a supplement that works to complete the suffering of Christ is very interesting:
Col 1:24 wrote: Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.
Paul uses "body" to mean "flesh" sometimes.

These are just some ideas that rolled off the top of my head.

I am very curious to see what you come up with. Please share with us.
Off Topic
I gravitate more toward synthetic techniques -- an obvious one is comparing the Old Testament Passover with the New Testament arc of Crucifixion and the Lord's Supper.

Another classic example of synthesis is reading the Ark of the Covenant (a specific in-dwelling of God) as a type of Mary (a more excellent in-dwelling of God).
Last edited by Del on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:07 pm

I think Del is on to a valuable line of study. That is, a study of the similarities, comparisons, and contrasts of the divine (perfect) flesh v human (imperfect) flesh.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:15 pm

One that always comes to my mind with toddlers potty training... Jude 1:23 save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Sounds interesting, Johnny. Be encouraged in your study
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm

FredS wrote:I think Del is on to a valuable line of study. That is, a study of the similarities, comparisons, and contrasts of the divine (perfect) flesh v human (imperfect) flesh.
This I like!

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Jester wrote:One that always comes to my mind with toddlers potty training... Jude 1:23 save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.
HA!

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:49 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:16 pm
I don’t venture over to this side of CPS often, perhaps I should, but anyway, thought I would share where my biblical meditations are currently taking me. I have decided to delve into a word study of “flesh” in the NT, in part because I wish to better understand my enemy and in part because it was simply recommended to me by a friend who had recently done so. He said it, and it sounded like a good idea, so Perhaps I will report back with the highlights of what comes out of it.

See how your margin slopes to the left as the lines increase?

That's an indicator of text written over time.

See all the scribbles?

That's an indicator of text written incorrectly over time.

Notice the books are all written out, no short hand or abbreviations.

That's an indicator of long written out text over time.

Here endith the lesson.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:37 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:49 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

See all the scribbles?

Here endith the lesson.
Since this is a theology thread, I'll argue your point(s):

I say text that wanders columnarwise is indicative of text written over a short time span. One line after another, while the writer is more focused on getting a lot of thoughts recorded quickly, than in neatness. Lines composed over a longer span - say several minutes, hours, or even days apart - would tend to be more aligned in their margins.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:09 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:37 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

See all the scribbles?

Here endith the lesson.

I say text that wanders columnarwise is indicative of text written over a short time span. One line after another, while the writer is more focused on getting a lot of thoughts recorded quickly, than in neatness. Lines composed over a longer span - say several minutes, hours, or even days apart - would tend to be more aligned in their margins.
Look at a kid that has to write spelling words for punishment. Going fast as can to be to get done. The slope would then lean to right as the person's haste does not fully carriage return. However, over time where care is taken, the slope is the opposite.
DL Jake

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:09 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:37 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

See all the scribbles?

Here endith the lesson.

Look at a kid that has to write spelling words for punishment. Going fast as can to be to get done. The slope would then lean to right as the person's haste does not fully carriage return. However, over time where care is taken, the slope is the opposite.
Young FredS was the master of writing "I will not push Sally on the playground." sheets. If I didn't have a few hundred lines written by the end of the week you can bet I was having an off week. In order to prevent columnar drift I wrote a column of "I"s, then a column of "will"s, etc. Even as a naughty boy I was particular with my writing.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 am

DepartedLight wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

See all the scribbles?

Here endith the lesson.
Look at the dots on the pad, there is no slope, the picture was taken at an angle... also this is the theology forum not the fountain pen thread, so I’d like you to relate that to theology please :)

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:15 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 am
DepartedLight wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

See all the scribbles?

Here endith the lesson.
Look at the dots on the pad, there is no slope, the picture was taken at an angle... also this is the theology forum not the fountain pen thread, so I’d like you to relate that to theology please :)

Relax mode. Engage.
DL Jake

Del

Post by Del » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:32 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:15 am
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

See all the scribbles?

Here endith the lesson.

Relax mode. Engage.
Yes, please.

We won't be grading your penmanship until you submit the final copy.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:33 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

See all the scribbles?

Here endith the lesson.

Boosh!

That was almost as good as an old fashioned Pope slap.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 pm

So, I’m in Matthew 19, the joining of flesh in marriage, thinking on the parallels of that U***n, to the origin of man and the creating of Eve from the flesh of Adam, and also the resurrected flesh and the connection between Christ and his body/bride. The image of two becoming one flesh is powerful in the Word. I love that marriage is a reminder of the bigger picture of God’s plan for his relationship with his people.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:31 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 pm
So, I’m in Matthew 19, the joining of flesh in marriage, thinking on the parallels of that U***n, to the origin of man and the creating of Eve from the flesh of Adam, and also the resurrected flesh and the connection between Christ and his body/bride. The image of two becoming one flesh is powerful in the Word. I love that marriage is a reminder of the bigger picture of God’s plan for his relationship with his people.

“Cleave.”

That is all.
DL Jake

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:12 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:31 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 pm

“Cleave.”

That is all.
"Abide" -- that's another :)
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning