Del wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 am
Jester wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:38 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:08 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:29 am
Which raises this question: Is CPS a place that should facilitate theological "sparing"?

Some other questions:
  • Where are the moderate Christian members?
    What happened to the liberal Christian members who used to be here?
    Why do most who quit CPS, quit?
By moderate, you mean coco and JrEgg? Either they do enough of this crap in their day jobs that they don't want to mess with it here, or they think it's mostly useless. Somehow, Joshoowa can get down in the mud and still come out clean. I admire him for that and many other reasons.
TNLawPiper wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:22 am
If the CPS Theology Forum ain't the place for theological sparring, I don't know what is. The mods have their pirate flags. Let them use them if things get out of hand.

Otherwise, change the name to Congenial Pipe Smokers and market to a different crowd.
I think you've misunderstood my intent. This is the perfect place for theological sparring. But let's not get offended by what others write. Jester, in particular, was gobsmacked about some of the things Del wrote and he thought Wos implied that God or the Angel was a sex offender. Jester has since backed out of the discussion (I think) but it was he who I was trying to covertly mention as being offended.

Introducing your neighbor to Jesus Christ and inviting him to church has eternal benefits. Arguing about Mary? Mmmm, prolly not.
I was a little gobsmacked to learn that Mary is the mediator between Christ and Del. I don't know a lot on Catholic teachings but felt it was my place to be gobsmacked. I mean he did name the thread Mary Alone. Tuttle on the other hand has been here longer and I noticed he wasn't gobsmacked, best to sit back and read. I was not offended but rather stepped back with my lack of Catholic understanding.
The proper term is "Mediatrix." (More on that later.)

Christ is the only mediator between God and Man, as we all know.

To be fair and honest.... the old-timers remember the day when Del was equally gobsmacked to discover that living, breathing believers in Calvinism were still out walking around. I thought that theology was extinct.
Ha. Yeah. I remember that. Here I am, Del! Dang Calvinists are everywhere.

I, for one, am extremely glad that for the theological conversations that I've had over the years with the living, breathing, staunch Roman Catholics and Orthodox that have graced CPS. My biggest surprise was that they Catholics could actually articulate their faith. I live in a nominally Catholic town and that was something I just wasn't used to. Catholics-in-name-only are everywhere. The Catholics on CPS are a breath of fresh air compared to the lukewarm ones that I'm surrounded with. Kudos to you guys for actually trying to live out your faith consistently. I can see that we have a lot in common on some things.

As long as there is no malevolence in the discussion, no intentional ignorance, and no feigned offenses, ya'll can be as wrong as you want on some points and I'm fine with that. As one of my favorite Catholic armchair theologians says, "unclench". This is CPS.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Mary Alone

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:04 am

Jester wrote:
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Which raises this question: Is CPS a place that should facilitate theological "sparing"?

Some other questions:
By moderate, you mean coco and JrEgg? Either they do enough of this crap in their day jobs that they don't want to mess with it here, or they think it's mostly useless. Somehow, Joshoowa can get down in the mud and still come out clean. I admire him for that and many other reasons.
TNLawPiper wrote:
If the CPS Theology Forum ain't the place for theological sparring, I don't know what is. The mods have their pirate flags. Let them use them if things get out of hand.

Otherwise, change the name to Congenial Pipe Smokers and market to a different crowd.
I think you've misunderstood my intent. This is the perfect place for theological sparring. But let's not get offended by what others write. Jester, in particular, was gobsmacked about some of the things Del wrote and he thought Wos implied that God or the Angel was a sex offender. Jester has since backed out of the discussion (I think) but it was he who I was trying to covertly mention as being offended.

Introducing your neighbor to Jesus Christ and inviting him to church has eternal benefits. Arguing about Mary? Mmmm, prolly not.
I was a little gobsmacked to learn that Mary is the mediator between Christ and Del. I don't know a lot on Catholic teachings but felt it was my place to be gobsmacked. I mean he did name the thread Mary Alone. Tuttle on the other hand has been here longer and I noticed he wasn't gobsmacked, best to sit back and read. I was not offended but rather stepped back with my lack of Catholic understanding.
I understand completely. Most of the garden variety Catholics in your circle of friends know as much about their church as you do, so nobody has shared what's behind the curtain like the guys here can. At least that's how it's been in my experience. As I wrote earlier, we're not Catholic for a reason and it's more than just the Pope.

One of our resident Catholics finally made it clear to me that praying to Mary is essentially praying through Mary. We probably don't ask Bob from work to pray for us because we're not sure he even knows Jesus, and if he does we don't know if he's faithful in his prayer life. But take a walk through our prayer room and you'll see we often ask our friends here to pray on our behalf because we know they will and that their prayers will be heard. It's not lip service at CPS. When these people say they'll pray they mean it. Not only when they see your initial request but often, whenever you or your needs come to their mind in the following days and weeks, they'll pray. Some even make a written list! Your CPS friends are devoted. St Mary's devotion is amped up to eleven so those who know her sometimes ask her to pray on their behalf. It's not witchcraft.

[EDIT] Of course for Catholics, there's more to Mary than my simplified version but every essential they see in Mary is what we'd like to see in our own mother. I know some of us have/had rotten mothers, but my mother was the very best person I've ever known. Period. If Mary is even a little 'better' than Sue, then Mary is worth having on your side. Not as a savior but as an ally.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Cleon wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:57 am
Del wrote:
Jester wrote:
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

Some other questions:
TNLawPiper wrote:

To be fair and honest.... the old-timers remember the day when Del was equally gobsmacked to discover that living, breathing believers in Calvinism were still out walking around. I thought that theology was extinct.

I, for one, am extremely glad that for the theological conversations that I've had over the years with the living, breathing, staunch Roman Catholics and Orthodox that have graced CPS. My biggest surprise was that they Catholics could actually articulate their faith. I live in a nominally Catholic town and that was something I just wasn't used to. Catholics-in-name-only are everywhere. The Catholics on CPS are a breath of fresh air compared to the lukewarm ones that I'm surrounded with. Kudos to you guys for actually trying to live out your faith consistently. I can see that we have a lot in common on some things.

As long as there is no malevolence in the discussion, no intentional ignorance, and no feigned offenses, ya'll can be as wrong as you want on some points and I'm fine with that. As one of my favorite Catholic armchair theologians says, "unclench". This is CPS.
I still strongly suspect that all calvinists smoke pipes.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 pm
Cleon wrote:
Del wrote:
Jester wrote:
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

Some other questions:
TNLawPiper wrote:

I strongly suspect that you're so happy when a protestant notices you you cant tell the condescenscion in his "praise." Stand up and give that poo the bird it deserves.

Eff that, Cleon, and eff you for thinking it appropriate. It's why I condemn protestants wholesale. You're Shia LaBoufe in Indiana Jones. A teenage punk who disrespects your father.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 pm
Del wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Del wrote:
Jester wrote:
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

Some other questions:
TNLawPiper wrote:

I strongly suspect that you're so happy when a protestant notices you you cant tell the condescenscion in his "praise." Stand up and give that poo the bird it deserves.

Eff that, Cleon, and eff you for thinking it appropriate. It's why I condemn protestants wholesale. You're Shia LaBoufe in Indiana Jones. A teenage punk who disrespects your father.
Is this a moderator looking for new moderator moderating?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 pm

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 pm
wosbald wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:42 pm
tuttle wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:25 pm
… If it is true that with God nothing is impossible then there has to be a logical priority between God's will and Man's will, when it comes to eternal decrees. …
If nothing is impossible with God, then what about the possibility that God could create a world in which Man's Freedom would not be logically subordinated to eternal decrees?
I like the way you think (you clever bastard :lol: )

I guess the possibility is there, I grant you.

Perhaps the safest thing we can say with absolute surety, is that whatever He sets out to do, he will succeed:

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it."

That's basically what I've been trying to hang my hat on.
I got no problems with that. :thumbsup:

I would say that the problem with ascribing logical priority to God's Sovereignty is that one must make God eternally decree sin (perhaps most notably, decreeing the Edenic Fall).

Yes, I know the stock rejoinder to the effect that God, though determining/eternally decreeing sin, is not responsible for it (is not its author).

As I see it, this is just a form of special pleading. If one is going to set up a logical priority, then one must accept all of the consequences that flow from it logically.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 pm
Del wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Del wrote:
Jester wrote:
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

Some other questions:
TNLawPiper wrote:

Is this a moderator looking for new moderator moderating?
Depends. Is this a dumb mother effer that spends so much time standing on his dignity that he makes me want to kick him in his faggy throat

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:51 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Depends. Is this a dumb mother effer that spends so much time standing on his dignity that he makes me want to kick him in his faggy throat
Man, who pissed in your cheerios this morning? :egor:
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Seriously. What the heck?
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:06 pm
Its simple. Your people speak without kindness or respect, yet they expect respect. I'd like to make this so clear that even you understand...without respect, there is no respect. My familygoes through tough t imes...how many of you protestants steps up and prays?---sure the hell not John-Boy, indeed, not most of you. Sure as hell not you, Gary. So stand on your dignity all you want, its hollow as hell.

I've watched you boys and the prayers you expect over those you give. You'll eat it in time.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:25 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:22 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Its simple. Your people speak without kindness or respect, yet they expect respect. I'd like to make this so clear that even you understand...without respect, there is no respect. My familygoes through tough t imes...how many of you protestants steps up and prays?---sure the hell not John-Boy, indeed, not most of you. Sure as hell not you, Gary. So stand on your dignity all you want, its hollow as hell.

I've watched you boys and the prayers you expect over those you give. You'll eat it in time.
Eating makes me think about waffles.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:25 pm
hugodrax wrote:
You'll eat it in time.
Eating makes me think about waffles.
Waffle-u Akbar!

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Maintenance to aisle 3 for wet-mop cleanup

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:26 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Beg pardon?

Matthew 21:
28 “What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’

29 “‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.

30 “Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.

31 “Which of the two did what his father wanted?”

If I pray but don't type that I've prayed vs. type that I'd pray but don't which is of more value?

I confess I've not been spending as much time in the prayer room here as I have in the past and haven't made it a habit (a good habit). I do catch thread tiles on prayers and pay attention. I see your challenge to up my game of responding and will reflect on it-- but please don't see my posting habits as reflective of my personhood. Or if you do-- I'll have to accept that.

I have not tracked where I post or to whom... some names and people I know better-- perhaps that's been an influence on whether I type a response. If you're calling me out on it perhaps I should take a closer look at my patterns.

Social media is under attack these days-- I go into reflection periods about how much posting is appropriate for me. I sometimes slip into the sense that CPS is another avenue parallel on visibility into my life as Facebook. Thus, when I get cautious or reduce my interactions it does not mean I don't read but it can be crossed over that my patterns shift.

Regardless. I get your point-- but I reject your hostile conveyance (in so far as I do not accept the accusation nor the implied cursing).
The 6s of 1st John:

Del

Post by Del » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Del wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Del wrote:
Jester wrote:
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

Some other questions:
TNLawPiper wrote:

I have no idea what triggered hugo. And I don't care to find out.

Anyhow.... yes, Catholicism in America does suffer from the scandal of trying to be "liberal" -- as in, "Don't talk about hard truths, and don't teach anything solid to the kids. Just blend in with the culture, and we'll finally be accepted by the WASPs."

So we ended up with what you have seen: An older generation who learned little more than the habit of going to Mass on Sunday... and a middle generation who couldn't figure out why to bother going at all.

And we are seeing something else: A renewal! A younger generation who are excited about re-discovering their faith. The JP2 Generation. The New Evangelization. (For example: the "Badger Catholic" group is by far the largest student organization on the UW-Madison campus.)

Chesterton says that the Apostolic Church should have died four times in history (five, if we count this current resurrection), if it were a merely human institution. But the Church lives on, watching empires and heresies die into history. "For we have a God who knows His way out of the grave." (The Everlasting Man.)
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:49 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:26 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Beg pardon?

Matthew 21:
28 “What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’

29 “‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.

30 “Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.

31 “Which of the two did what his father wanted?”

If I pray but don't type that I've prayed vs. type that I'd pray but don't which is of more value?

I confess I've not been spending as much time in the prayer room here as I have in the past and haven't made it a habit (a good habit). I do catch thread tiles on prayers and pay attention. I see your challenge to up my game of responding and will reflect on it-- but please don't see my posting habits as reflective of my personhood. Or if you do-- I'll have to accept that.

I have not tracked where I post or to whom... some names and people I know better-- perhaps that's been an influence on whether I type a response. If you're calling me out on it perhaps I should take a closer look at my patterns.

Social media is under attack these days-- I go into reflection periods about how much posting is appropriate for me. I sometimes slip into the sense that CPS is another avenue parallel on visibility into my life as Facebook. Thus, when I get cautious or reduce my interactions it does not mean I don't read but it can be crossed over that my patterns shift.

Regardless. I get your point-- but I reject your hostile conveyance (in so far as I do not accept the accusation nor the implied cursing).
No doubt, and I'm sorry to have kicked one of the gentlest posters here. But I'm sick to hell and back of caring for people because people don't care a fiddlers eff for me and mine. Oh, they'll take what I can give, particularly my money. I think this thread was the last I could take. It's not your fault, Sir, and I'm sorry if I made you think it was. Be well, and know I pray for you every day.

For DeL: it's the "I don't care to find out" that will cause you the difficulty and the greatest cause of my problems with this place. The charity is not even skin deep. But keep preaching...the faith is real. It's your application that's garbage.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:23 pm

So. Are we taking a Mulligan here or what?
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Ah! Theology! Is there anything good you can't destroy?

Quod erat demonstrandum.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS