To the Faithful Departed

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by Fainn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 am

The Lane version of Sir Walter Raleigh is nowhere near the awesome Brown and Williamson version. That's all I have to add.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 am

The Lane version of Sir Walter Raleigh Aro is nowhere near the awesome Brown and Williamson version. That's all I have to add.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 am

Fainn wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 am
The Lane version of Sir Walter Raleigh Aro is nowhere near the awesome Brown and Williamson version. That's all I have to add.
Fainn wrote:
He must really mean it.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:58 am

A_Morley wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 am
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:
He must really mean it.
Either that or he has a posting impediment.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:59 am

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:09 pm
Rusty wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:18 pm
dennisthemenace wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:11 am
To my recollection, yes it did have Latakia.
Craven A? Nope, no Latakia. And it still doesn't have Latakia. It was and is a straight Virginia. This was introduced as a cigarette tobacco in England in the post WWI era. Pipe smokers do use RYO tobaccos. It's still a Virginia cigarette tobacco available in Canada. Craven Mixture did have Latakia. Craven Mixture long precedes its "brothers" on the market. And like any successful brand it gets reused in new products. Craven became one of Carreras' premium brands and the products sporting the brand proliferated.

Who can connect Carreras with Rothman's? Anton Rupert, in fact. Rembrandt Group. The Craven A brand belongs to (and is in use) by Rothman's, Benson & Hedges in Canada. RBH is a PMI asset, I think.

In Commonwealth countries straight Virginias are the tradition, from Britain & Canada to Australia and New Zealand it's a different tobacco tradition from the US. So the curious question is what would Americans have recognized as Craven A? Did Rothman's rebrand something else as Craven A? A Virginia mixture absent Burley's etc is a non-starter in America. So why do Americans remember Craven A? There was Craven Mixture which was the latakia mixture and that was marketed in the US too.

Checking old RTDA annuals in the late 80's I see Craven A as imported cigarettes in America and it looks like they're imported from both Canada and Jamaica. I also see a listing for a 1 & 3/4 oz. tin of pipe tobacco just called "Craven" in the late 80's RTDA annuals. In the 1994 RTDA annual the tin listing changes to "Cravens Mixture".
The commissary at my old alma mater sold Craven A cigarettes. I bought some and smoked them. I was, shortly thereafter, ashamed of myself.
I must've smoked Craven Mixture then, I'm sure it had Latakia. And the most interesting pale lemon colored tobacco, I think a VA.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:01 am

Fainn wrote:
The Lane version of Sir Walter Raleigh is nowhere near the awesome Brown and Williamson version. That's all I have to add.
Good to know. I really liked the Brown & Williamson. They were a nice company to deal with too. Always sent me a Christmas ornament each season.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne