We did communion wrong today.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

We did communion wrong today.

Post by Winton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:18 am

Today, we messed up serving communion.

Logistically, our pastor plays the piano / leads singing while the leaders pass the trays with the bread and wine. Once we got back to the front of the church, we realized we passed out the cups before we passed out the bread. Pastor just announced we will serve the bread now and then we will partake in the correct order.

Maybe we just didn't have enough experience to do it right. The four of us together only had between 150-200 years church attendance to guide us.

Rooster
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: We did communion wrong today.

Post by Rooster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:32 am

Winton wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:18 am
Today, we messed up serving communion.

Logistically, our pastor plays the piano / leads singing while the leaders pass the trays with the bread and wine. Once we got back to the front of the church, we realized we passed out the cups before we passed out the bread. Pastor just announced we will serve the bread now and then we will partake in the correct order.

Maybe we just didn't have enough experience to do it right. The four of us together only had between 150-200 years church attendance to guide us.
Doesn't sound like transubstantiation took place so I'm sure you're good. :wavey:

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:01 pm

At least y'all had communion.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm very proud of everyone.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:56 pm

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:30 pm
I'm very proud of everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLGAtvnMLU

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Visited a church once where they passed out the elements together, the pastor blessed it and basically motioned as if to say "have at it."
It was weird but I performed the service I was accustomed to in my mind and now I recall that one as particularly memorable.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:46 pm
Visited a church once where they passed out the elements together, the pastor blessed it and basically motioned as if to say "have at it."
It was weird but I performed the service I was accustomed to in my mind and now I recall that one as particularly memorable.
Sounds like a Baptist joint to me. I don't miss the Baptist services I grew up with. I do however, miss very much the Anglican services I started attending once out on my own. Now I work on Sundays and I find myself at what I deem to be a "post modern pentecostal" church. The reasons are a long story. It's not my cup of tea, but the ass knows how to sift hay from stubble. I do have to shake my head sometimes though.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:19 am

joegoat wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:46 pm
Sounds like a Baptist joint to me. I don't miss the Baptist services I grew up with. I do however, miss very much the Anglican services I started attending once out on my own. Now I work on Sundays and I find myself at what I deem to be a "post modern pentecostal" church. The reasons are a long story. It's not my cup of tea, but the ass knows how to sift hay from stubble. I do have to shake my head sometimes though.
It wasn't, even tho I am. I left that part out of the story to keep it from being the emphasis. I read the OP as being respectful of the sacrament, but realizing ultimately it is a personal experience for each partaking in the service, even if something human goes awry.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 am

When I was a teen (17 I think), our youth group went camping in the mountains outside of Silverton. The youth group leader had planned a sermon and we got up at dawn on Sunday and sat in a small circle on the side of the mountain. The church observed communion every Sunday, and when we got to the end of the service we wanted to have communion...but the youth leader and his wife hadn't planned for that. We dug around and found orange juice and saltine crackers...We had communion at 11,000ft...it wasn't traditional, but I still remember almost every moment of that communion, and that was 30 some years ago.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Winton

Post by Winton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 pm

We are not Baptist, but close. Everyone involved is respectful of communion, but something accidental happened.

The pastor said, "Guys, since everything has been passed out, go sit with your wives, and then we can have communion."

I also remember a communion time in the mountains. I was in college and really needed a break from normal activity.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:45 am

I think I may have come across as hard on Baptists. I meant what I said tongue-in-cheek and I hope no offense was taken. I sincerely apologize.
In my view, the way we practice The Eucharist is a personal preference. The first observance of this sacred meal was led by The Christ Himself and that really sets it on a level all of it's own. The church I grew up in did communion four times a year and it was always stuck on the service right at the end after the pastor had already been long winded. Looking back, it was always rushed. I much prefer the way the more orthodox denominations practice The Eucharist. It's the whole reason for the service and it is the very pinnacle. I hope to get back to that soon!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:41 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:45 am
I think I may have come across as hard on Baptists. I meant what I said tongue-in-cheek and I hope no offense was taken. I sincerely apologize.
In my view, the way we practice The Eucharist is a personal preference. The first observance of this sacred meal was led by The Christ Himself and that really sets it on a level all of it's own. The church I grew up in did communion four times a year and it was always stuck on the service right at the end after the pastor had already been long winded. Looking back, it was always rushed. I much prefer the way the more orthodox denominations practice The Eucharist. It's the whole reason for the service and it is the very pinnacle. I hope to get back to that soon!
I hope you can get back soon too.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:41 am

Growing up baptist, it's been a growing desire of mine to see the Lord's Table renewed in the midst of so many anemic/barren congregations/denominations.

Renew the Table
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:49 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:41 am
Growing up baptist, it's been a growing desire of mine to see the Lord's Table renewed in the midst of so many anemic/barren congregations/denominations.

Renew the Table
It's not really a table. It's an Altar.

It's not really a meal. It's a Sacrifice, a new Passover.

It's not just a communion. It's a Thanksgiving, for we have been saved by the Blood of the Lamb.

It's NOT merely a remembrance. It is being present at Christ's Crucifixion and the Resurrection.

And when we are called to the Altar to receive Jesus, we really do.
Last edited by Del on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:49 am
tuttle wrote:

Renew the Table

It's not really a meal. It's a Sacrifice ...[relocated snippet]...

It's merely a remembrance. It is being present at Christ's Crucifixion and the Resurrection.
Praise God for the Reformation, then. 500 years and still going, not for nuthin.
Del wrote:It's not just a communion. It's a Thanksgiving, for we have been saved by the Blood of the Lamb.

And when we are called to the Altar Table to receive Jesus, we really do.
Amen.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 pm

tuttle wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 pm
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Renew the Table

It's [NOT] merely a remembrance. It is being present at Christ's Crucifixion and the Resurrection.
Praise God for the Reformation, then. 500 years and still going, not for nuthin.
Del wrote:It's not just a communion. It's a Thanksgiving, for we have been saved by the Blood of the Lamb.

Amen.
I meant "it's NOT merely a remembrance." Had to correct my post.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:54 am

Del wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 pm
tuttle wrote:
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Renew the Table

It's [NOT] merely a remembrance. It is being present at Christ's Crucifixion and the Resurrection.

Amen.
Well then Amen to that as well!

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 am

IMO, one of the biggest wrongs we have here in the west is unnecessarily withholding communion from baptized children. That's doing it wrong.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Del

Post by Del » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:34 am

Cleon wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 am
IMO, one of the biggest wrongs we have here in the west is unnecessarily withholding communion from baptized children. That's doing it wrong.
I don't know how your discipline is explained to you. I would like to hear it.

In Catholic practice:
- Baptism is the moment in which Christ accepts the Child, so it is suitable to baptize infants.
- The Eucharist is the Christian's decision to accept Christ, and all that that entails. So it is important for the child to understand what he is doing.
- Receiving the Holy Spirit at Confirmation marks the Christian's mission to be a soldier for Christ, a member of the Church Militant. This requires a certain level of adult maturity.

The Orthodox have a different discipline, in which all three sacraments are given to infants.

The Eastern and Western Churches agree on what is actually happening:
- In Baptism, one is reborn into Christ and His Kingdom.
- In the Eucharist, one receives Christ and is received by Christ.
- In Confirmation, one receives the Holy Spirit.

We can have different disciplines about when these sacraments are best given to young Christians.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:36 am

tuttle wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:54 am
Del wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 pm
tuttle wrote:
Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:

Renew the Table

Amen.
Well then Amen to that as well!
I have always appreciated how the Presbyterians (and some other Calvinists of strict observance) still understand that there are such a thing as "Sacraments."