THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rainman498 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:58 am

tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:Just saw a commercial from the Catholics Come Home group. On during the Today show. I had heard that commercials were coming.

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/
That ad has been out for a little while. Check out my sig line.
"I don't understand how you can call yourself a Christian and lead such an idle, useless life. Have you forgotten Christ's life of toil?" - St. Josemaria Escriva

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:17 am

BluntLogic wrote:
Del wrote:
BluntLogic wrote:
BluntLogic wrote:What is the League of Bearded Catholics? I found the reference on Mr. OldWorldSwines’ blog page.
It looks as if it is a sort of literary, smoking, drinking, philosophy, theological swatch of activities for Catholics (or those who are not Catholic, but adhere to basic Catholic ideas) that get together and simply enjoy each other’s company. Is this correct?
Yup. Uber-Catholic uber-nerds, out having fun. Not much different than what we do here at CPS.

TLBC gather in social Christian fellowship, and usually pick a hobby of some sort.

When Pipeson and Cigarson were teenagers, they had TLBC group going.... they were too young to drink, but we let them smoke at my home, and they even introduced some of their young friends pipes (with their parents' permission, of course). There was also quite a bit of Dungeons & Dragons played.

Cigarson has a TLBC thing going with his young adult friends. They have a variety of hobbies, like home-brewing beer and gear-head discussions concerning motorcycles and cars.
Sounds intriguing. How would I learn if such a group exists locally?
The TLBC blog and home office has been in something of an extended hiatus for a variety of personal reasons. But it will be back!
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:18 am

+JMJ+
BluntLogic wrote:Sounds intriguing. How would I learn if such a group exists locally?
Easy. Just go fishing. Walk around with a pipe or a pocket watch or dress up like a vulcan and wait for the nerds to intrude on your space and ask you questions like "What blend are you smoking?" or "Kirk or Picard?".

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:50 am

The Fresno, CA branch office is planning it's annual winter bacon and beer gathering. well maybe the word "planning" is a bit enthusiastic. Its at the senior's home where the retired Chestertonian resides (I've been bestowed his title and library as the current Chestertonian in our area) I have to call and see if the rumpus room is available for us. Last time they stuck us on the second floor and it was a chore smuggling the keg up there :wink:

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:27 am

BluntLogic wrote:
Del wrote:
BluntLogic wrote:
BluntLogic wrote:What is the League of Bearded Catholics? I found the reference on Mr. OldWorldSwines’ blog page.
It looks as if it is a sort of literary, smoking, drinking, philosophy, theological swatch of activities for Catholics (or those who are not Catholic, but adhere to basic Catholic ideas) that get together and simply enjoy each other’s company. Is this correct?
Yup. Uber-Catholic uber-nerds, out having fun. Not much different than what we do here at CPS.

TLBC gather in social Christian fellowship, and usually pick a hobby of some sort.

When Pipeson and Cigarson were teenagers, they had TLBC group going.... they were too young to drink, but we let them smoke at my home, and they even introduced some of their young friends pipes (with their parents' permission, of course). There was also quite a bit of Dungeons & Dragons played.

Cigarson has a TLBC thing going with his young adult friends. They have a variety of hobbies, like home-brewing beer and gear-head discussions concerning motorcycles and cars.
Sounds intriguing. How would I learn if such a group exists locally?
"TLBC! -- Join a group near you!"

That would be awesome, wouldn't it?!!? Unfortunately, TLBC is just an idea on a blog.... if you want the reality, you have to make it happen for yourself.

Approach a few guys, and explain what TLBC is all about -- "Catholic guys, having fun." NO-- it's not restricted to just Catholics, or just "guys," and you don't have to have any fun if you don't want to. But that's the atmosphere we are aiming for.

Some guys from the Knights of Columbus council would be a good place to start.

Then pick a common interest or hobby -- fishing, smoking, Bible study, watching football -- and get together once in a while. Goofiness is encouraged (like providing strap-on beards for the beardless to wear, at least while saying hello).

Just follow the example of our patrons, Tolkien & Lewis, Chesterton & Belloc, and you won't go wrong.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Del

Post by Del » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:31 am

OldWorldSwine wrote: The TLBC blog and home office has been in something of an extended hiatus for a variety of personal reasons. But it will be back!
You need to solicite guest bloggers to write and comment.

John and I are possible candidates. Maybe get Sideache to help tweak every man's inner comic book geek.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

OldWorldSwine

Post by OldWorldSwine » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:56 am

Del wrote:
OldWorldSwine wrote: The TLBC blog and home office has been in something of an extended hiatus for a variety of personal reasons. But it will be back!
You need to solicite guest bloggers to write and comment.

John and I are possible candidates. Maybe get Sideache to help tweak every man's inner comic book geek.
What are you waiting for, man? :D

You send it, and I will very likely post it!

(sent you an e-mail)
Last edited by OldWorldSwine on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Did anyone notice that the Collect for the 4th Sunday of Advent is the closing prayer of the daily Angelus?

Pour forth, we beseech you, O Lord,
your grace into our hearts,
that we, to whom the Incarnation of Christ your Son
was made known by the message of an Angel,
may by his Passion and Cross
be brought to the glory of his Resurrection.

Just for curiosity, I looked up the obsolete ICEL translation (1973):

Lord,
fill our hearts with your love,
and as you revealed to us by an angel
the coming of your Son as man,
so lead us through his suffering and death
to the glory of his resurrection.

It's hard to see how these could come from the same Latin original.
Praise God for the corrected translation!

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

1950s-60s Christmas Letter they used to read on the radio...

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:25 pm

tobacco_tenderfoot
Minister of Forward-slashing

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:54 am

Just thought I would share and see if anyone has a similar sentiment.

This thought was prompted by the Rampant Consumerism thread and the 10%/tithe "issue".

I remember at my old church giving was always stressed and preached about. We were giving a book about Jesus mentioned money XXX times, but only about love XX times or something like that. When I read the passages it seemed like money was involved, but it was far from the central point/meaning of the passage.

After coming into the Catholic Church I don't think giving has ever been mentioned by a priest, other than explaining what the second collection was four. We did have a audio message from the Bishop about the annual Catholic Charities fundraising drive once. Other than that, there is a note in the weekly bulletin asking parishioners to donate one hours wage, or 2.5% of their weekly income. Quite a change of pace from what I used to.

I think someone on her once said giving to a church is often a reflection of one's spiritual maturity (assuming you have the means, can afford to pay for bills/groceries, etc). It's no one's business to know/talk about what you give, and you shouldn't share what you give.

Thoughts from anyone else?
"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI

OldWorldSwine

Post by OldWorldSwine » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:03 am

Not much mention of money, at all, except when there are special needs.

I do think, questions of Old Testament Law and New Testament Grace aside, that 10% ought to be the benchmark for giving.

We've not been able to do that for a while, owing to being underwater since I lost my last regular job in the Big Not-Quite-Depression Bubble in 2009. That has troubled me, but we do what we can. There is no browbeating about it from the ambo.

The priests are aware that times are tough. There is even an unemployed support group at our parish, now.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:03 am

tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:I think someone on her once said giving to a church is often a reflection of one's spiritual maturity (assuming you have the means, can afford to pay for bills/groceries, etc). It's no one's business to know/talk about what you give, and you shouldn't share what you give.

Thoughts from anyone else?
Item 1) Agreed -- If one is detached from his material wealth, giving willingly and generously, then money and security are not his god.

Item 2) This virtue of spiritual poverty would grow if our pastors had the courage to preach about it sometimes. Pastors are afraid to "offend" their flock by preaching against their favorite sins.

We don't hear sermons about not tithing -- and we don't hear sermons against contraception -- because these are our favorite sins. Epidemic.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:00 pm

Being out of a job and having a family to raise, financially I fall short of the 10% benchmark, but I am comforted in the belief that my time and talents are likely part of the equation as well as the social services funded by my federal and state taxes (not counting the diabolical as some of them are :evil: )
Last edited by Hovannes on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

The best Catholic films of 2011

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:05 pm

The best Catholic films of 2011

I nominate
The Rite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8yKS1RRJbU&feature=fvsr
and
There Be Dragons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk05XVC1EtY

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Beauty, Art, and conversion. An interesting essay...

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Art, beauty and conversion. An interesting essay---
http://www.hebrewcatholic.org/accountofmyconve.html

Del

Re: Beauty, Art, and conversion. An interesting essay...

Post by Del » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Hovannes wrote:Art, beauty and conversion. An interesting essay---
http://www.hebrewcatholic.org/accountofmyconve.html
This guy teaches for the Ave Maria Institute for Pastoral Theology. I just finished a course in Mariology with him.

He and his cute little wife (they are both comically short and Jewish) are inseparable, and she often drove with him from St. Louis to Wisconsin. I know her about as well as I know him.

If I can scratch up the money, I might take a course on St. Thomas Aquinas with Dr. Feingold next semester.

tobacco_tenderfoot

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:32 am

I'm going through the Jeff Cavins Bible study on Matthew.

Yesterday we went through Matthew 16. I think we are all familiar with this passage.
Matthew 16:13-19 wrote: 13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.”

Jeff tied this practice back to the OT.

Isaiah 22:20-25 wrote: 20 “In that day I will summon my servant, Eliakim son of Hilkiah. 21 I will clothe him with your robe and fasten your sash around him and hand your authority over to him. He will be a father to those who live in Jerusalem and to the people of Judah. 22 I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. 23 I will drive him like a peg into a firm place; he will become a seat[a] of honor for the house of his father. 24 All the glory of his family will hang on him: its offspring and offshoots—all its lesser vessels, from the bowls to all the jars.

25 “In that day,” declares the LORD Almighty, “the peg driven into the firm place will give way; it will be sheared off and will fall, and the load hanging on it will be cut down.” The LORD has spoken.

Other items of note (that you may already know).

- Rock was used to refer to both Abraham and God.
- Name changes for Abraham and Jacob/Israel took place right before they were given power.
- The Jews believed that a rock on Mt. Moriah was the first place that was above water when God parted the waters in Genesis.
- The Jews also believed that this rock covered the gates of hell/evil.
- Solomon's temple was build over this rock.

So for all those reasons, the Apostles present when Jesus gave Peter the Keys knew exactly what was going on.

Just thought I would share. Sorry if I butchered any information.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:06 pm

+JMJ+
Jan 1st - Feast of the Circumcision

Happy Feast Day!

tobacco_tenderfoot

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:33 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Jan 1st - Feast of the Circumcision

Happy Feast Day!
How/why is this different than the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God?

Is this a Vatican II vs pre Vatican II thing?

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:44 pm

+JMJ+
tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:
wosbald wrote:Jan 1st - Feast of the Circumcision

Happy Feast Day!
How/why is this different than the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God?

Is this a Vatican II vs pre Vatican II thing?
Certainly, don't take it as any sort of disdain for any feast honoring the Mother of God. I begrudge Her nothing and consecrate to Her my all. I'm just sharing my joy on such a great feast day, the first time that Christ shed His Blood.