Patio thoughts

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Patio thoughts

Post by Hovannes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:50 pm

I have a rather generous covered patio coupled with a more modest adobe paved patio with a railroad tie retaining wall overflowing with purple lantana and yellow euryops. There is not much occupying my covered patio---a patio set from my late sister gifted when she moved from an apartment into a house of her and her husband's own---a metal table, four chairs and a lounge which my B-I-L had powder coated. There is also a traditional wooden picnic table which my son and I oiled years ago. It will be moved back onto the lawn as soon as the weather is stable, and a rustic potting bench Mrs Hov's dad and step mom gave her, won at a silent auction fund raiser for the school where Mrs Hov TA's and I occasionally sub. There are also a collection of pots, mostly terra cotta (part of the Hov Patio Protocol is we don't pass up a large pot under $10) and overflowing with succulents or other plants, and the BBQ gets wheeled under there when it threatens to rain. The rabbit hutch used to be on the patio but he was banished to the side yard when he started spraying. A few hanging baskets with Geraniums and a hummingbird feeder hang from the eaves. Some day I'd like to get a wind chime---not a tinkle tinkle chime but a bong bong chime. Some day.

This is the closest thing I have to a man cave although it is not exactly masculine. The weather is fair enough for pipe smoking and it is close enough to the liquor cabinet for fetching a decent beverage (tonight I polished off a bottle of Hennessey)

I like my patio. I've had the use of few others over the years, mostly sad little dusty cement pads off the kitchen in military housing or possibly a balcony, which isn't really a patio but serves the same purpose. These would get a large jar for brewing sun tea(be nice to your bar tender and they may give you a big honkin' empty jar that once contained Maraschinos, cocktail onions or martini olives---perfect for brewing sun tea) I also dumpster dived for empty 5 gallon bucket that held wall board compound, Add small sack of potting soil, a little manure courtesy of a stable or race track, and a tomato and jalapeno plant and if you're occupying the place long enough, well, there is the base for salsa fresca.
The important thing is a chair to sit and smoke, and a light of some sort to read by unless you want to be stuck inside with cable TV, which is never a good idea.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Patio thoughts

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:10 pm

A pic is worth a thousand words, you know.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:13 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:10 pm
A pic is worth a thousand words, you know.
In this case, 452.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:16 am

B-but that would deny you the use of your imagination! Three of my neighbors orange trees are in blossom and have branches hanging over the back fence. The smell is incredible and the trees are alive with the humming of bees. It's quite a visual, audible and olfactory treat.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:54 am

I read this as Plato Thoughts.

DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:04 am

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:16 am
B-but that would deny you the use of your imagination! Three of my neighbors orange trees are in blossom and have branches hanging over the back fence. The smell is incredible and the trees are alive with the humming of bees. It's quite a visual, audible and olfactory treat.
My imagination is fine, thanks. But i still am interested to see your use of the crossties. I can't believe you're considering wind chimes, though. If I had a dollar for every wind chime I've disabled I could probly buy coffee at Starbucks for a week or two.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:04 am
Hovannes wrote:
My imagination is fine, thanks. But i still am interested to see your use of the crossties. I can't believe you're considering wind chimes, though. If I had a dollar for every wind chime I've disabled I could probly buy coffee at Starbucks for a week or two.
Me too
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Further patio thoughts while sitting on my back porch, tagging onto the wind chime thread from the Youth Room:

Besides the sounds of distant weather, mentioned by DL, I like the slow sound of the squeaky hinge on an old gate; and the occasional bump of a loose screen door opening and closing itself on a windy day. I like the whispering sound of the wind blowing through the pine trees. I like the sound(s) of a mocking bird, mimicking perfectly the songs of Bob white quail, wrens, screech owls and Chuck wills widow. And I like the sound of a distant freight train.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:04 am
Hovannes wrote:
Me too
In general, I agree, but I once saw a set of wind chimes constructed of pieces of steel pipe varying in diameter from inch and a half up to four inches and cut to varying lengths each over six feet but tuned all within the same chord. This was a man's wind chime.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal